• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link and Young Link - both or just one?

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
Wondering if any other Link players on the boards also play Young Link (or used to.) My main is actually Luigi but I use both Links also mostly for matchups that I don't like using Luigi for.

For the longest time my main was Link and when I picked up YL for the first time seriously I decided I like both of them and use them for different matchups. For the first time now though I am starting to wonder if Link really has a one up over YL in the matchups I use him for and though I've always loved playing Link I'm wondering if I should just drop him.

I'm open to advice from anyone who plays either or both Links but I'd really like mostly to hear from someone who uses or has used both.

Matchups that I use YL for: :marthmelee::samusmelee::mewtwomelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:
Matchups that I use Link for: :peachmelee::icsmelee::ganondorfmelee::dkmelee::bowsermelee::linkmelee:
Any other matchup not listed I use Luigi for.

Ive litte to no clue about YLink but I feel that in general, whenever Link wins a matchup by camping, YLink does it better, but otherwise Link is better. This means that spacies and Marth is better for Link, whereas Peach, Puff and ICs are better for YLink. CF is terrible for Link and so is Shiek, I've no clue how YLink fairs in those matchups but I imagine he neither enjoys meeting them.

I wont tell you what you should do though as I think you should choose what you like dependant on what you feel is fun or how you want to explore the game.

I play Link cause I enjoy all the mindtricks and strategies I can use that I cant do with any other character.

Corona

Smash Apprentice
I highly contemplated using Y. Link as a compliment to Link, but I didn't after much thought. Link's worst matchups are matchups Y. Link suffers in as well. It is (almost) a zero sum game with the most commonly used characters.

Freon most_dope

Smash Cadet
Going off of what fish said, y link and link both have nuteral (link vs Jiggs only) or good mu's on floaties. However link has a 10-15% better mu on Spacies. So basically one pile of dog **** is better than another.

I also use link/Luigi and only pull out link with floaties which is what I recommend. Otherwise I use wigi

Dominus Felis

Smash Apprentice
I feel like link is better against everyone except Fox, (waveshining), as well as like light floaties, for example puff. I play both, I like both, sometimes I play them both for different styles of play!

Top Bottom