• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Limits of Palutena shield?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
We all know her dash attack and bair use the shield during them and can block attacks, but has anyone done any research into what the limitations of this are? Can it block anything and everything during the shield's active frames, or is it restricted to a certain percent threshold or number of hits? And has anyone measured how long the active frames are? If it's shorter or longer than the hitbox frames, it could impact how the move(s) is/are used.

Noge

Smash Cadet
You have most of the invincibility frames data in kurogane hammer:
http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/Palutena

It only blocks attacks that hit the "blocking hurtboxes" (shield), for example you can hit palutena from the other side while she bairs.
I dont think there are many characters able to multihit palutena's shield without getting hit by it (but multihits would very likely be blocked), and there isn't any attack that can just "go through the shield" as far as I know.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
I think K. Rool's Super Armored Belly Dash Attack can go through the shield. I may have to lab this with another person when I get the chance to make sure it isn't just a timing thing, but the whole exchange seems to play out like this:

1. Palu's shield hitbox hits Krool's super armor and cracks it
2. Krool armors the hit, doesn't flinch, keeps going and his belly hitbox gets through to Palu's hurtbox behind her shield and arm.
3. Palu takes damage and knockback
4. Krool has [lightly] damaged belly armor

I'd consider that losing the joust.

EDIT:
Dash Attack Shield can also lose to Cloud's Fsmash. If the timing isn't perfectly timed with the 3 Fsmash hits, the Shield blocks the first hit, but the buster sword is too disjointed for Palu to hit him. Then the next two hits of the Fsmash hit Palu and she takes 24% of the normal ~32% damage.
It's not a straight up loss like vs super armor appears to be, but it's around a 50/50 which isn't worth it given how powerful of a smash attack you're eating if you lose.
With other characters like Link she can still hit him with the shield and interrupt the next hitbox in the one Fsmash move every time, but Cloud's Fsmash's 2nd hitbox comes out too fast; only 4-5 frames later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom