• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Limits are meant to be broken! Cloud for SSB5!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've been off the boards for a while but apparently Verg has mentioned a second character from Square. Just tangential to this thread but as Sqenix fans who are your picks for a second Square Smasher?
Terra, not just because she’s my favorite FF protagonist from one of my favorite RPGs, but she’d make an excellent foil to Cloud on the roster in terms of both play style and what they represent. She’s pretty much my ideal pick for a second FF character. Other than her, I wouldn’t mind seeing Slime, Sora, or Crono. Or even Zack as a Cloud Echo.

Also, as a Cloud secondary coming in here after a while, hai everyone.

EDIT: Also also,

And to add to the above discussion; I might be crucified for saying this but with FF IX coming as well, and with Black Mages being such iconic characters/classes in the Final Fantasy games, Vivi has just shot up to becoming one of my top most wanted characters, and as a Square rep would like him a ton more than I ever wanted Geno (who I never wanted that much to begin with, but hey), and much moreso than any other Final Fantasy/Square rep as well. I know it will not happen in a billion years, but hey. If it happens I'm making him my second main (right after Yoshi).
I like you.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
For my own answer:

I'd unironically love Chocobo being playable.
Sora is awesome, pretty much a more modern Geno (western exposure to JRPGs/Final Fantasy)
Terra is a top tier pick too.
Slime would give representation to DQ which deserves it.

Also I'm a XII stan so I'd take Balthier any day.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Terra is pretty much my only choice for a second Square rep really. That’s about it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
For a 2nd Square character I'm tied between a character from Dragon Quest, and Crono from CT.

From DQ, my ideal pick would either be "Luminary" from DQXI, or Erdrick from DQIII. I'd also love Eight from VIII but I'm not sure if they'd go for him, since he's like not too new, and not too old, but he's at least popular.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Well, the final roster has been confirmed. So glad to have my blonde bois in the game and ready to go (and Wolf.)

PF9

Smash Lord
Cloud still has the biggest sword of all the sword fighters in Smash.

And that's saying something.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Cloud still has the biggest sword of all the sword fighters in Smash.

And that's saying something.
I mean, if you're talking strictly metal ones sure, but I think a certain :4shulk:Monado Boy:ultshulk: would disagree on account of his energy sword.

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
The reason the 2001 Final Fantasy movie failed is because it was an original story, at least that's how I feel.

What the fans really crave is faithful, straight adaptations of the individual games themselves.

I feel the film rights to Final Fantasy should also not be with Sony. which released the 2001 movie, since the Sonic movie didn't make any real progress under them, and it took a move to Paramount for it to get going. So, the movie rights to Final Fantasy should nominally be with Paramount, but at the same time, Disney should also have access to use elements from the series for potential Kingdom Hearts adaptations.

I think Final Fantasy could be a huge moneymaker for Paramount, if the Sonic movie does well enough.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
The reason the 2001 Final Fantasy movie failed is because it was an original story, at least that's how I feel.

What the fans really crave is faithful, straight adaptations of the individual games themselves.

I feel the film rights to Final Fantasy should also not be with Sony. which released the 2001 movie, since the Sonic movie didn't make any real progress under them, and it took a move to Paramount for it to get going. So, the movie rights to Final Fantasy should nominally be with Paramount, but at the same time, Disney should also have access to use elements from the series for potential Kingdom Hearts adaptations.

I think Final Fantasy could be a huge moneymaker for Paramount, if the Sonic movie does well enough.
I agree, but how do you tell a story faithful to the original games when abbreviating 40-hour playthroughs into 2-hour films? Hire Peter Jackson and make it a trilogy?

GUYS. Spikes can't be teched when grounded. If dair into Finishing Touch is a true combo, Cloud is gonna be sooo busted.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
GUYS. Spikes can't teched when grounded. If dair into Finishing Touch is a true combo, Cloud is gonna be sooo busted.
Not really, at the percents it would have killed in 4 the dair will pop them up too high forcing you to jump to hit the Finishing Touch, which then won't kill because it's weaker in the air.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
GUYS. Spikes can't teched when grounded. If dair into Finishing Touch is a true combo, Cloud is gonna be sooo busted.
I can't seem to spike them on the ground with his Dair, it's sending them sideways. What's the sweetspot? Either way it doesn't look very promising.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Nah but I've been digesting a bunch of data. One thing I learned today was that grounded FT can hit PS1 platform from below.

And apparently running utilt is fantastic for combo starting and extending.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Well limit down b cancel got replaced with auto spotdodge

You can't move freely after limit cross slash anymore

Forward throw looks like a tech chase set up now

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Dthrow is just about negative until like 30%
But i think you can jump out of limit charge now
Can only jump out of limit charge after canceling it on the ground like smash four.Can still jump out of limit charge cancel in the air in ultimate

d throw can still go into side b at zero %

Also,I found out that clouds u tilt can hit above the two lower platforms o n battlefield now

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Question, I'm trying to pick up Cloud since he seems fun to play, but how does his recovery work exactly? Sometimes it grabs the ledge, sometimes it doesn't? Does the follow-up hit negate grabbing the ledge?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Question, I'm trying to pick up Cloud since he seems fun to play, but how does his recovery work exactly? Sometimes it grabs the ledge, sometimes it doesn't? Does the follow-up hit negate grabbing the ledge?
For the most part, if you can hit the ledge with the sword, you should be able to latch on. However, be careful with the second press of the B button on Up Special. The one that sends you hurtling down.

Last edited:

Du)

Smash Rookie
Hello Guys!
I'm kinda new here but I've been reading the boards and playing PM and Melee for the past 1 year and half. When SSBU released I had a bit of a "Soul Search" for a new character to play, cus the fox lost his pretty shine and new play styles are always a good thing to practice adaptability =)
So, I found Cloud and since I didn't played S4 I had no idea how he played. After a bit of research and some time playing I found out that he's pretty cool.
I know he got nerfed a lot but I still want to try him out .

So, this is what I found out until now.

.Most of the times, Down Grab to Side B works like a "true combo" and deals more and less 38%-40%. It's also a good combo out of dash dancing since Ultimate imo, is really about movement more then S4 or Brawl.

.Up-tilt hits bellow Battlefield Platforms and some more I don't remember atm.

.Nair to Jabs works pretty well, although not as much as S4 I believe

.Baiting is still really important as cloud, Limit Down-B kills really well.

.Yes, his recovery sucks. Hopes and dreams of buffs in this section ^^

Well, there's more points I could add, but I'm not really sure about some of them yet.
Post your discoveries and play-styles with him.

Hope to read some responses ^^

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
After the nerfs, it's not very accurate, but I like it nonetheless.
Ha ha, it is accurate in my experience online against Clouds so far, but I am terrible against anything holding a sword.

Thank you!

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Ha ha, it is accurate in my experience online against Clouds so far, but I am terrible against anything holding a sword.

Thank you!
I'm just a salty Cloud main who's mad Limit CS takes so much longer to kill.

Reila

I'm just a salty Cloud main who's mad Limit CS takes so much longer to kill.
But he was pretty strong in Smash 4, right? Look at the bright side, at least Cloud isn't like Bowser Jr. who was trash and is somehow even weaker in Smash Ultimate.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
But he was pretty strong in Smash 4, right? Look at the bright side, at least Cloud isn't like Bowser Jr. who was trash and is somehow even weaker in Smash Ultimate.
Sure, he was strong, but a lot of the community overrated him (in my opinion) and he's been overnerfed. Look at how powerful other charge moves are compared to Cross Slash. Giant Punch kills stupid early, and DK's recovery isn't tied to having it charged, AND he doesn't lose the charge after 15 seconds.

Cloud was intentionally given a sucky recovery to compensate for his Limit crutch Charge, but now his kill power has been reduced, and he loses it without using it, AND HIS RECOVERY IS STILL BAD.

It just....really bothers me.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Sure, he was strong, but a lot of the community overrated him (in my opinion) and he's been overnerfed. Look at how powerful other charge moves are compared to Cross Slash. Giant Punch kills stupid early, and DK's recovery isn't tied to having it charged, AND he doesn't lose the charge after 15 seconds.

Cloud was intentionally given a sucky recovery to compensate for his Limit crutch Charge, but now his kill power has been reduced, and he loses it without using it, AND HIS RECOVERY IS STILL BAD.

It just....really bothers me.
Despite that, Cloud is still a pretty solid character in Smash Ultimate. His FT is actually a very solid anti-air and you can react pretty much instantly out any limit attack (not sure if that was a thing in Smash4). SH fair -> CS is pretty good just gotta be mindful of which part of fair you hit. I'm still salty that he doesn't have any grab combo's (except for back throw into Omnislash Luul)

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Despite that, Cloud is still a pretty solid character in Smash Ultimate. His FT is actually a very solid anti-air and you can react pretty much instantly out any limit attack (not sure if that was a thing in Smash4). SH fair -> CS is pretty good just gotta be mindful of which part of fair you hit. I'm still salty that he doesn't have any grab combo's (except for back throw into Omnislash Luul)
Stop making rational, well-though-out statements! This is the internet!!

Reila

So what are some good tips for playing against Cloud? Nerfed as he might be it is always such a struggle fighting against Cloud ._.

Alexplz

Smash Rookie
Can I get some insight on some decent options for characters too pocket alongside a cloud main? Characters that cover his bad matchups specifically?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Hello you people
Can some one possibly give me some tips on how to play cloud in this game? I legitimate don't know how to play him in this game compared to smash 4.

Lanny

Smash Cadet
So what are some good tips for playing against Cloud? Nerfed as he might be it is always such a struggle fighting against Cloud ._.
The number 1 thing IMO is not to let the blade beam put you on tilt. It does relatively little damage, it's just obnoxious to play around. I get a lot more damage off of people trying to force approaches because they're tired of getting missile spammed than I do off of blade beam actually hitting.

Low recovery is almost always better, which I think is the case with most characters, but cloud's edge guarding tools are a lot harder to pull off below the edge.

When you're below cloud he doesn't have a lot of options. Dair is strong but the hitbox is horizontally pretty small. Try to get under cloud and a little to the side and you can pretty much throw out your aerial of choice.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Final Fantasy 7 came out for the Switch today, so I'm looking forward to sitting down and finally beating this game!

I have it on Steam, but the button inputs aren't very clear; it's much better on the Switch version. The furthest I've ever gotten is leaving Midgar; all I know about the game aside from that are who joins the party, the big spoiler that most people are aware of by now, and the final boss battle.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Final Fantasy 7 came out for the Switch today, so I'm looking forward to sitting down and finally beating this game!

I have it on Steam, but the button inputs aren't very clear; it's much better on the Switch version. The furthest I've ever gotten is leaving Midgar; all I know about the game aside from that are who joins the party, the big spoiler that most people are aware of by now, and the final boss battle.
You ever have any questions that need spoiler-free answers, let me know.

Top Bottom