• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Limits are meant to be broken! Cloud for SSB5!

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman

You remember that Nintendo Direct? That one Nintendo Direct in 2015 where Reggie had one more announcement? Then comes a starry background... "What is this?!?" Everyone exclaimed. And lo and behold, a character that has been considered a joke character since the Brawl days, Cloud Strife!

To quote the very man himself: "Never thought I'd see the day..."

How did someone like Cloud even get into Smash 4 in the first place?
Masahiro Sakurai mentioned that he often got requests to include a Final Fantasy character into a Smash Bros. game. And of all the characters from the series to be included, it was none other than Cloud who was the most requested! Source

Over the Final Fantasy characters whose main games appeared on the Nintendo systems?
Yes, and not without reason. Sakurai had considered Bartz from FF5 and Terra from FF6, but ultimately picked Cloud due to his popularity in the gaming world.

But Square is very picky when it comes to licensing their characters? What makes you think Cloud has a chance of returning in Smash 5?

You mean besides the hype he generated on his reveal and Square having a good relationship with Nintendo from what we've seen so far? Well according to Sakurai, he had discussed the possibility of Cloud appearing in Smash 4 with Final Fantasy series director Tetsuya Nomura and got the OK. Source

Let's make it happen again!

:4cloud:for Smash 5!

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I'd love for Cloud to return, I'm personally conflicted if it will happen again.
Cloud is way cool, wish there was more of a music selection on his stage though.

D

Deleted member

I actually like Cloud and i would prefer to have him over Bayo, Ryu and even Pac-Man when it comes to Smash 4 third party veterans.

BUT if he comes back, he better bring One Winged Angel.

and also i want to see more content from the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole, not just 7. Like a Terra AT, or a Black Mage trophy. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
If I’m being honest, Cloud seems like the most questionable 3rd party of Smash 4. I wonder what gymnastics Nintendo had to go through to get him

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
There was an interview with Sakurai and Nomura in regards to how Cloud got into Smash. Sakurai stated that roughly 1/4th or 1/3rd of all the character requests he got (just in general, not the ballot) were for Cloud. And Nomura admitted that he couldn't possibly have said no to such an idea when Sakurai pitched it to him.

Perhaps, we can have this again! I'd be hyped! Bring Cloud back, I would like to play as him once more!

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I think Cloud has the least chance to return out of the third-party. I hope Nintendo can get permission from Square Enix to let him come back. Final Fantasy is such an iconic franchise to represent in Smash Bros, even if I'm not a big Cloud fan I want him back because he really deserves it.

It's sad to see a whole franchise and all its content being removed from Smash Bros, specially one like Final Fantasy, so let's hope it's not the case

D

Deleted member

Limits are meant to be broken, and they can be broken again.

Off course I support Cloud's return. Let's mosey!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I don't even like Final Fantasy and I still think Cloud's inclusion is amazing. It completely defies the odds.

Personally I'd like ALL the third party characters to come back, him included.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
If I’m being honest, Cloud seems like the most questionable 3rd party of Smash 4. I wonder what gymnastics Nintendo had to go through to get him
I think the most questionable is Ryu. Ryu looks totally out of place. But still, Cloud is on a odd situation, I will be sad if him get the cut

D

Deleted member

Cloud is one of my favorite characters in gaming, I loved FF7, and his inclusion in Smash 4 was legendary.
Unfortunately... I feel like he might get the axe. I think Sakurai would attempt to bring him back, but I can see him be a one-off deal for Smash 4.
I would love to be proven wrong and see him return. He's my main and my favorite character to play as in any Smash game.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
If I'm going to be honest;(this opinion my get a lot of hate) I'd rather Cloud in Smash be a 1 off deal. It was strange enough that it happened but, it did happen. I'm glad Final Fantasy fans got him in. However, if characters need cut he'd be among the first I'd rather not return. Call me a purist if you must but, I believe that characters need stronger connection to Nintendo to be in Smash Bros than what Cloud brings to the table.

Arthur97

Smash Master
If some form of FF doesn't make it to Switch, perhaps Nintendo should be the ones to say no.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Unless Square releases more games on Nintendo consoles to improve their relationship with Nintendo, of course any kind of content relating to Final Fantasy is very unlikely.
In the FF7 Remake, the developers remake has said that they have a new design for Cloud to be in line with the original game, if he does return he should use that design. But like people said, Square is very protective of their properties when other companies use them, so its very unlikely for Square to give the Smash Bros. developers the FF7 Remake model though the game but not because a WIP.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd love to see Cloud make a return, but could we please give him an english voice actor this time? I know he can speak english. I've heard him.

Also, the two separate looks with different color schemes were great, but many of the colors were a bit too close to each other. He also needs the Wall market dress as a third costume.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I'd love to see Cloud make a return, but could we please give him an english voice actor this time? I know he can speak english. I've heard him.

Also, the two separate looks with different color schemes were great, but many of the colors were a bit too close to each other. He also needs the Wall market dress as a third costume.
Cloud not speaking English had more to do with voice acting union laws and what projects a VA is allowed/not allowed to be a part of since Steve Burton himself expressed interest in voicing Cloud in Smash on his twitter. So if Cloud returns, I'll assume that he'll still be Japanese only as Steve Burton will still be under the same union laws unless his higher ups give him that permission.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Cloud not speaking English had more to do with voice acting union laws and what projects a VA is allowed/not allowed to be a part of since Steve Burton himself expressed interest in voicing Cloud in Smash on his twitter. So if Cloud returns, I'll assume that he'll still be Japanese only as Steve Burton will still be under the same union laws unless his higher ups give him that permission.
So, what exactly prevents Steve from voicing Cloud in Smash as opposed to voicing Cloud in FF7-related products?

I rarely understood the whole voice actor and union thing to begin with, despite my interest in voice work, but I want to know what the union has issue with that makes it so he can't voice a character in a game.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
So, what exactly prevents Steve from voicing Cloud in Smash as opposed to voicing Cloud in FF7-related products?

I rarely understood the whole voice actor and union thing to begin with, despite my interest in voice work, but I want to know what the union has issue with that makes it so he can't voice a character in a game.
As a union actor, Steve Burton is under strict legal obligation to stick with union only projects (Smash Wii U/3DS is non-union) and thus there are severe repercussions for a union actor doing a non union project (like getting kicked out of the union and losing all your benefits). I think union and non union actors can't even be in the same project, this leads to characters getting recast or not being credited at all (or using actor pseudonymous).

Of course Steve Burton is a case of being mainly an on screen actor with Cloud being the only character he's ever voiced for the past decade. He wouldn't be able to fool anyone under a false name (and its worst going behind the unions back and being found out) and Square Enix likely not wanting to bother with a recast for a single guest appearance since Steve Burton is still the official English VA in the remake. Without getting into the nitty gritty of all the legal shenanigans, it was just easier to keep his Japanese VA.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
If they want to use the Kingdom Hearts Cloud design for another alternate outfit, would Disney own the rights to that design?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
One thing I want is more FF content outside of a stage and two trophies. Especially for other 3rd party franchises such as Street Fighter and Mega Man.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

Item
Phoenix Down:
Holding this baby when KO’d doesn’t count as a kill for your opponent/doesn’t affect your own score.

Assist Trophy
Sephiroth
: He appears and releases a series of powerful swords strikes followed by Supernova.

Trophies
Chocobo
Tifa
Aeris
Barret
Vincent
Red XIII
Yufie
Cait
Cid
Buster and Fusion sword
Sephiroth
JENOVAH
Cross-dressing Cloud
Phoenix’s down
All the summons if Midgard appears

And obviously more music including

It was criminal not to see this appear as music.

Yarael-BJ-Poof

Smash Cadet
But what if Cloud's inclusion in Smash was just the tip of the iceberg? What if they'll go as far as bringing the FF7 remake to the Switch???? Because when has Cloud ever been relevant to Nintendo? FF7 was the game that Square left Nintendo on. So to have a character from a game that Square had against Nintendo originally should be nothing small...

D

Deleted member

But what if Cloud's inclusion in Smash was just the tip of the iceberg? What if they'll go as far as bringing the FF7 remake to the Switch???? Because when has Cloud ever been relevant to Nintendo? FF7 was the game that Square left Nintendo on. So to have a character from a game that Square had against Nintendo originally should be nothing small...
While I doubt Cloud's inclusion in Smash 4 will tie directly into there being an FF7R Switch port (and it's not like Smash was the first time Cloud was on Nintendo, though they were all minor cameo and spin-off appearances), I won't deny the possibility of one happening. But as of right now, it's a timed exclusive for the PS4, so we'll have to wait and see. And knowing the game's development progress and Square's track record of releasing FF games long after their announcements, it's best to be very patient.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Any chance you guys think they’ll finally bring Steve Burton along to voice Cloud in English, like how they finally cast English VOs for Marth and Roy?

Side note, I’d like an option that lets you set the voice language for different characters individually a la UMVC3. The only exception to this would be I guess Mario characters and those without any spoken lines. And probably also Zero Suit Samus who iirc has no Japanese VO in Smash.

im ALSO secretly hoping Captain Falcon gets Crispin Freeman (Regal from Tales of Symphonia, Shizuo Heiwajima from DRRR!! etc) as an English VO I have a mighty need for it

of course his “Japanese” voice would be the classic voice we’ve been hearing since Smash 64, since his classic VO is himself Japanese

Also we need Zelda’s BOTW voices

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Cloud was the number one character I was most worried wouldn't be returning. But now I get to play as him, Roy, and Wolf?

Oh, happy day.

Also, so glad to get here in time to post on the front page. I missed it the first time.

Also Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura , if we get an American VA for Captain Falcon, it can only be Christopher Sabat, Vegeta's English VA, since Vegeta's JPN VA voices him now.

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
good that cloud came back. I haven't seen anything new move wise from smash switch cloud. I wonder what his custom moves and alternate costumes will be besides( the advent children one).

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I haven't heard him speak yet but from what Grunts I could hear, he still sounds Japanese which is very disappointing for me. I was hoping everyone would get English voices.

They used him a bit in the tree house today,

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Guess I'll be back here for a while. Nice seeing Cloud back though. I saw a bunch of stuff about Cloud that I'm excited for so look forward to him being a fun character. Assuming he isnt made worse from now lmao.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I heard cloud can only stay in limit mode for 15 seconds tops and then it's a reset.there ware also some range cuts made(which I think everyone here expected)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I haven't heard him speak yet but from what Grunts I could hear, he still sounds Japanese which is very disappointing for me. I was hoping everyone would get English voices.

They used him a bit in the tree house today,
I’ve played both Dissidia games for PSP back in the day, and some of Steve Burton’s grunts sound vaguely like Takahiro Sakurai’s, if I remember. there’s no way to confirm until we hear a victory/taunt dialogue.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm so happy he's back. Unfortunately for work and personal reasons it was just after Cloud's release that I stopped playing Sm4sh as seriously as I had been, and no longer went to tournaments. I look forward to being able to play more of him this time.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I'm so happy he's back. Unfortunately for work and personal reasons it was just after Cloud's release that I stopped playing Sm4sh as seriously as I had been, and no longer went to tournaments. I look forward to being able to play more of him this time.
Up air (startup time and lasting frames.) and Limit (has a 15 second time limit) is nerfed.

StormC

Smash Hero
Zack Fair echo fighter and Sephiroth Assist Trophy would be cool.

Also for the love of god get One Winged Angel in this time.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Holy crap, it's roymustang1990- roymustang1990- and GHNeko GHNeko ! Good to see you all again!

In regards to nerfs and buffs, it seems that Cloud gains much more limit from taking and dealing damage, but his limit attacks aren't quite so stupidly powerful. As long his non-limit recovery isn't too bad, I'm okay with these changes.

GimR uploaded a video of Snake vs. Cloud, and Cloud had a really hard time getting kills with his Up-air. Granted, Snake is notoriously hard to kill vertically, but Cloud was over 100% (so rage should have started kicking in) and Snake was over 130%! But one up smash pretty much deleted Snake, so my guess is up air is gonna be a much better combo tool at higher percentages.

Lastly, it's kinda funny to me that Cloud's Buster sword is finally the right length, but his range has been reduced on several of his better moves.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Holy crap, it's roymustang1990- roymustang1990- and GHNeko GHNeko ! Good to see you all again!

In regards to nerfs and buffs, it seems that Cloud gains much more limit from taking and dealing damage, but his limit attacks aren't quite so stupidly powerful. As long his non-limit recovery isn't too bad, I'm okay with these changes.

GimR uploaded a video of Snake vs. Cloud, and Cloud had a really hard time getting kills with his Up-air. Granted, Snake is notoriously hard to kill vertically, but Cloud was over 100% (so rage should have started kicking in) and Snake was over 130%! But one up smash pretty much deleted Snake, so my guess is up air is gonna be a much better combo tool at higher percentages.

Lastly, it's kinda funny to me that Cloud's Buster sword is finally the right length, but his range has been reduced on several of his better moves.
Yes hi hello

Good to see some familiar faces from the smash four cloud thread for another generation of smash

I'm already annoyed to the new changes with cloud

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Well, Bayo has seen some pretty major nerfs, so I'm glad Cloud is less likely to be seen as the number 1 braindead character.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Cloud nerfs prob wont outweigh the indirect improves he gets from changes to gameplay.

Rolls getting increasingly laggy and airdodges being severely limited means that punishment from Cloud will be easier, more plentiful, and overall more harsh for the victim and rewarding for Cloud.

LCS still had basically non-existant cooldown and the dash changes mean that neutral should be a lot easier to play. Nair still looks to be punishable on hit though lol, but that's okay because cross slash does like 25% fresh. 4 cross slashes back to back gets the target up to 80%.

FH AC Dair is still a thing. FT still exists. Utilt hitbox looks to make sense now. I saw Zero land fair at 0 and it let him link into jab. I'm not really super worried despite the limit change, reduction in range, and LCS killing around 90% - 110% percent. Bair did 13.9% damage in 1v1 too so that's nice lol.

The guy will still be easy to pick up and play, but he will be immediately much less rewarding but he'll still be fun so I'm down for that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom