• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Speed Everywhere-Sonic Stage Discussion

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
As a Sonic Main I am sure Sonic's best stages are

:smashville:Smashville Pros=Ground to run on, Smashville Platform helps recovery
Cons= Smashville Platform can Kill you
:ps2:Pokemon Stadium 2 Pros=Room to run around Platforms to help you (Shield Dropping)
Cons=Could get stuck on Platforms Ex.Marth traps you with range
:battlefieldb:Battlefield Pros=3 platforms to help recovery
Cons=Stuck on Platform
:warioware:Wario Ware Pros=Mobility with side b off ledge,easier kills
Cons=Stuck on Platform,Easily killed because he is light
Dracula's Castle Pros=Use platforms for mobility,Ground to run on
Cons=No platforms to help recovery
:fdb:FD Pros=Room to move around,Broken Recovery
Cons=No platforms to use to recover
:greenhill:Green Hill Zone Pros=Broken Recovery,Enough room to run barely
Cons=no platforms to help recover if going high

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion

:smashville:Smashville Pros=Ground to run on, Smashville Platform helps recovery
:ps2:Pokemon Stadium 2 Pros=Room to run around Platforms to help you (Shield Dropping)
Cons=Stuck on Platform
Warioware definitely the worst out of all the ones listed, Horrible stage.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Warioware definitely the worst out of all the ones listed, Horrible stage.
Wario Ware definetly is a horrible pick (in my opinion) against certain characters that take full advantage of the platforms like Marth or Roy. But maybe you could consider the possibility that there may be certain matchups that work in Sonic's favor, Falco is in my mind. True, Falco could use the platforms to combo with shine into dairs, but He cannot abuse his laser as much as in bigger stages to take away Sonic's options, as he can move in the platforms. Also, Sonic can take Falco to the ledge quickly, and he can also abuse the small platforms to extend combos or simply take him to the ledge for an edgeguard. What do you think about this?

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Wario Ware definetly is a horrible pick (in my opinion) against certain characters that take full advantage of the platforms like Marth or Roy. But maybe you could consider the possibility that there may be certain matchups that work in Sonic's favor, Falco is in my mind. True, Falco could use the platforms to combo with shine into dairs, but He cannot abuse his laser as much as in bigger stages to take away Sonic's options, as he can move in the platforms. Also, Sonic can take Falco to the ledge quickly, and he can also abuse the small platforms to extend combos or simply take him to the ledge for an edgeguard. What do you think about this?
Not sure, I feel like falco can just camp the platforms very easily on this stage to avoid ur side B gimp, which is bad. Maybe you could scoop him off easily since the stage is small but thats the only benefit i can imagine.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I still think the absolute worst stage for Sonic is Yoshi Story. It's so compact and hard to spin properly. Especially against sword users like Marth and Roy.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
you kind of can use the side b off edge and down b's on the platforms so they worry more about avoiding the spinning plus it's for certain matchups like a Ganondorf or something that can easily get hit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKsbofP5BaM Last match you will see what I mean

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I still think the absolute worst stage for Sonic is Yoshi Story. It's so compact and hard to spin properly. Especially against sword users like Marth and Roy.
Plus If your playing a Spacie it is harder to gimp because Randall can ruin it

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Wario Ware is a decent stage for certain match ups like Bowser I like it only playing certain match ups so the Wario Ware is a stage preference for some Sonic players like me

KiNGMONiR

Smash Cadet
Wario Ware is a decent stage for certain match ups like Bowser I like it only playing certain match ups so the Wario Ware is a stage preference for some Sonic players like me
I don't know. Bowser hits hard and can get early kills, and Sonic's movement is restricted a lot as others have mentioned. My only positive experience on this stage was vs Peach, where she wouldn't live for fraking ever, and the platforms would help with turnip avoidance and recovery a lot.

I still hate WarioWare... too small.

TGAP37

Smash Rookie
i think as a general rule the more space the better, personally I will go to dreamland whenever I can against any character pretty much, of course play style and matchups influence it but for me sonic can use a bigger stage better than other characters so take advantage of that. small stages limit you too much as there isn't room to abuse your speed and sonic isn't exactly the best at holding stage presence

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Wario Ware is one of my favorite stages I just don't counterpick it alot plus I like it vs certain Match ups like a Jigglypuff its just a stage prerence!

Last edited:

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Am I the only Sonic main that hates Battlefield? :s But yeah, I hate small stages the most. Those are awful. Although My Favorite would have to be Green Hill Zone and then Smashville. c:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Am I the only Sonic main that hates Battlefield? :s But yeah, I hate small stages the most. Those are awful. Although My Favorite would have to be Green Hill Zone and then Smashville. c:
Are you kidding me Battlefield is a very fair stage plus its my favorite stage Yoshi Story and FoD I can see why but Battlefield though?

Last edited:

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Are you kidding me Battlefield is a very fair stage plus its my favorite stage Yoshi Story and FoD I can see why but Battlefield though?
I actually don't know. It could be partly because I am just not used to playing it I guess. I'll try practiceing on it more. c: Glad that I am wrong and I actually have one less stage I should worry about. Just gotta practice some more then. :D

GabPR

Smash Lord
Ok, so must of us know that Sonic is disadvantageous in small stages, now lets think on a tournament setting. What stages should a Sonic main opt for and what stages should he ban? For first game I always ban out FoD and Yoshis first of all. Then depending on the matchup I ban either smashville, battlefield or FD (I always want to be on Stadium 2 or dreamland). For counter pick I still ban Yoshis and fountain always, and then I find myself in either banning greenhill or Wario's. In these two my personal preferance is to ban green hill, and not beacause wario's is a good stage for Sonic, but from the other 3 above, I find it to be the least worst. Do you guys agree?

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
FoD it kind of depends on the Match up like maybe vs a Lucas Player because of the high ceiling but besides that I always ban it

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Personally I find Green Hill zone to be my favorite stage. I guess I learned how to manipulate using the moving part to my advantage and not getting stuck under the stage and being able to wall jump off of it is really really nice. But I guess it all stands on personal preference.

shores

Smash Rookie
I will never say that WarioWare:warioware: is a good stage for sonic, I get three bans in tournament and I only need one. It does not matter who my opponent is or who they play, I will always ban that stage. That being said we get three bans, I personally just choose the two stages I believe my opponent will be the most comfortable on. I ban triangles against swords(Marth:marthmelee:,Roy:roypm:,Ike:ike:,) and big stages against projectiles(Samus:samus2: and such). As far as what I think is the best stage.... Skyloft all day every day. I will choose that stage just as often as I will ban WarioWare. If anyone would like to know why I love that stage. I can write pages on why Sonicloft is Sonics playground! just ask :)

Last edited:

GabPR

Smash Lord
I also like skyloft as a stage for Sonic, its the biguest stage for moving around, it has really high plataforms that even sword uses cannot take too much advantage on since they are higher than other stages and Sonic has a lot of space to recover... but people mostly ban it vs me so I opt for PS2 and dreamland

TGAP37

Smash Rookie
The issue with coming up with "you should ban/counterpick this stage" type guides is that it's completely reliant on the matchup, dreamland is great for sonic normally but against a campy fox it's terrible, against some characters FD is great but suddenly if you're against a falco you're screwed. same with warioware, against a character like a puff or a kirby I'd be more than happy to go to warioware as it limits them more than me. You also have to factor in playstyles as in campy or aggro for both you and your opponent

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
against a character like a puff or a kirby I'd be more than happy to go to warioware as it limits them more than me. You also have to factor in playstyles as in campy or aggro for both you and your opponent
I feel like Green Hill Zone is great versus floaties like Kirby and Puff because of the small blast zones, whereas I don't like to go to this stage normally versus characters that are heavier and/or have more killing power. (Eg. Roy, Marth, Fox)

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
WarioWare is probably my favorite stage with Sonic, to be honest. The Spin Maneuver cancel and UpB game, especially Spring>Uair cancel, is something I feel is underused by Sonics and end up harming the hedgehog. That said, he does have a harder times when he gets behind in percent and an opponent has a strong keep away game with staying under the platforms - it becomes hell on Sonic, especially against characters who control that space very well, like Falco and Ganondorf. It should not, however, be a Sonic main's go-to ban.

I end up taking Falcos to FD all the time, and have defeated many strong Falcos at that stage where many others would have outright defeated me(Yu comes to mind, FD was the only place I could reliably push an advantage. He won the set on PS2). The more I play Sonic, the more I find that a personal playstyle matter more for Sonic's stage choice. If you're more aggressive, your opponents will hate a hedgie on small stages, as you can just stay on them and give them no rest. But if you like to bait out and punish, a more Brawl-styled tactic(this does not mean bad, don't go there), you rely on larger stages to push your opponents patience.

I personally hate Dreamland, and never take an opponent there. The fact I rely on uair combos to kill means that the higher percentages come around and suddenly I lack good followups to a vertical hit, and end up with an opponent that lives forever. Just because Sonic can come back from everywhere, doesn't mean you'll come back yourself - Once you've exhausted everything getting back to the stage, many characters have the tools to easily bop you back out - without your double jump.

In the end Sonic seems more or less versatile everywhere(although I detest PS1 on transformation grounds), counterpicking for Sonic is less removing his bad stages, and more focused on removing your opponent's good stages.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095

Cons=Stuck on Platform
Wario Ware and and Green Hill Zone are probably the worst of these. Sonic can work on them, but all the other stages give Sonic a lot more room. As it applies to Wario Ware you could take some advantage with the platforms I suppose just like you can with Battle Field, but that all depends on who you're up against. Some characters obviously just have much more of an advantage with platforms there, especially since well having platforms makes it easier for people to escape Sonic's high speed wrath.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
:skyworld:
I recently have been feeling that Skyworld is one of Sonic's best stages. If you know how to avoid the stage gimps below this stage is the ultimate counterpick versus characters like Marth, Link and Samus. The extra platforms give Sonic lots of room to more around and a safe haven to recover on without being edgeguarded easily by characters such as Marth or Falco. The ceiling feels at a good height for Sonic as well and the large side blast zones help Sonic out with his light weight. Play around with this stage fellow Sonic mains and let me know if you share my opinion. :sonic:

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
:skyworld:
I recently I've been feeling that Skyworld is one of Sonic's best stages. If you know how to avoid the stage gimps below this stage is the ultimate counterpick versus characters like Marth, Link and Samus. The extra platforms give Sonic lots of room to more around and a safe haven to recover on without being edgeguarded easily by characters such as Marth or Falco. The ceiling feels at a good height for Sonic as well and the large side blast zones help Sonic out with his light weight. Play around with this stage fellow Sonic mains and let me know if you share my opinion. :sonic:

I don't play on this stage very often, but I can see how you would say its a good stage for Sonic. The only thing is that if the ceiling are blast zones are useful for keeping sonic alive, wouldn't they act as a double aged sword?

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I don't play on this stage very often, but I can see how you would say its a good stage for Sonic. The only thing is that if the ceiling are blast zones are useful for keeping sonic alive, wouldn't they act as a double aged sword?
I can see where you're coming from, but this concept is true to all characters haha; pick a small stage, you can kill easier but die quicker.

Piefrenzy

Smash Cadet
I actually prefer large stages as Sonic. It gives you lots of room to run around which gives you pretty good mobility. Not to mention with Sonic's sick recovery large stages let him recovery very easily. However, stages with large blast zones can be annoying to play on versus floaties like Peach.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I actually prefer large stages as Sonic. It gives you lots of room to run around which gives you pretty good mobility. Not to mention with Sonic's sick recovery large stages let him recovery very easily. However, stages with large blast zones can be annoying to play on versus floaties like Peach.
Definitely big stages are a massive help (usually anyway). Although I have to say I practice I purposely play on smaller stages just so I'm at a disadvantage, although I'm only practicing with level 9 computers :V. My logic is that if I can play on a stage that Sonic doesn't have room to breath then I can pull out his full strength (at my skill level anyway) on any stage. The only time I think a big stage is bad is when you have to deal with characters like Falco or Peach.

Piefrenzy

Smash Cadet
Definitely big stages are a massive help (usually anyway). Although I have to say I practice I purposely play on smaller stages just so I'm at a disadvantage, although I'm only practicing with level 9 computers :V. My logic is that if I can play on a stage that Sonic doesn't have room to breath then I can pull out his full strength (at my skill level anyway) on any stage. The only time I think a big stage is bad is when you have to deal with characters like Falco or Peach.
Yeah I think characters with good projectiles (Falco) or floaties (Peach) or someone with both would make really big stages annoying, but I think against Falco it wouldn't necessarily be as bad as Peach or someone like her because his recovery is so crap that you can knock him off he stage it's a kill for you.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Yeah I think characters with good projectiles (Falco) or floaties (Peach) or someone with both would make really big stages annoying, but I think against Falco it wouldn't necessarily be as bad as Peach or someone like her because his recovery is so crap that you can knock him off he stage it's a kill for you.
You're actually right about that. The one thing to keep in mind about Falco though is his Falco Phantasm. I can't tell you how many times I improperly read his recovery and get spiked tried to stop him from recovering with that move -_-.

Top Bottom