• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's We Go Amigos! Tibby for Smash Switch

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
KEEP THE BEAT GOING!

Who is Tibby?
Tibby/Tebiri is the closest thing to a main character in Rhythm Heaven Megamix/Rhythm Tengoku:The Best +. He is the prince of Heaven World. In the game he falls to earth(I guess?) and you have to get good flow in Rhythm games to send him home. Rhythm Heaven characters have been requested before, but with maybe the exception of Barista or Rhythm Girl, there wasn't really a good character to represent the series as a whole. That has changed this time around. The Best + was out during Fighter Ballot, but at this point the game has been fully localized, making it far more well known, and likely(Not gonna lie Tibby or anything Rhythm Heaven is still super unlikely but hey that's what this thread is for!) to happen.

Why Tibby?
Well, the biggest reason, is that Rhythm Heaven is a decently known franchise. Rhythm Heaven for the DS sold 1,568,000 in Japan alone. It already has some small smash representation, with songs in Smash Wii U and a Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run. And don't forget the likely true but changed Gematsu Leak, which claimed Chorus Kids would be in. Tibby would fit SO much better than Chorus Kids however, as he represents the series as a whole. Datamining shows a rhythm heaven emblem. It seems Rhythm Heaven characters have been at least considered in the past.

What could he add?
Well, for one, he could add plenty variety with the amount of Rhythm Games. But beyond that-I think they should make his attacks be stronger if you re-press the button at a certain time, or at least his specials, the whole moveset might be a bit much. It could make a background beat and try to be Rhythm-Or be visual timing like action commands. The former would take more work, but would be more in spirit with the series.

Objections
Rhythm Heaven is too obscure-It may be somewhat obscure, but honestly, Earthbound at the time of 64, and perhaps other characters, were more so. Also, based on sales, Rhythm Tengoku is more well known in Japan.

Making attacks have a Rhythm would be so much work-It would. But it seems just crazy enough for Sakurai to do it. If not, visual timing like the action commands in Paper Mario would work, though wouldn't be as in spirit with the series.

He's only been in one game, Chorus Kids have been in two and were refrenced with Marshal making sorta 3, or Karate Joe, he's been in all 4-Yes, but Tibby is far more important. You see Marshal at the start and end of Fever. Karate Joe is in two games and some remixes in all 4. You see Tibby ALL throughout Megamix. And he has a fleshed out personality, rather than just having a super simplistic one.

Moveset
But enough of that, let's get to the moveset.
Grounded Attacks:Neutral Attack, Lockstep pose, Side Tilt, Hole in One Golf Swing, Down Tilt, Tap Trial stomp, Up Tilt, Cat Clap... clap. Smash Attacks:Side Smash:Figure Fighter Jab, Up Smash, Clappy Trio clap(all 3 in a row), Down Smash, Crop Stomp turnip pull. Dash Attack:Mr.Upbeat dance.

Aerials:Neutral, Chrous Club shout, Forward Air, Rhythm Rally paddle smack, Back Air, Space Dance hip jab, Up Air, Blue Bear donut toss Down Air, Screwbot Screw.

Specials:Neutral Special, Karate Man Senior (a reg punch, or hold to release a combo), Side Special, Samurai Slice... slice, Down Special, Airboarder boost jump, Up Special/Recovery, Launch party flight.

Final Smash:Remix, a remix, probably one to the main theme of this game, where the person playing as Tibby presses buttons to it to do damage, 3 screwups ends the final smash, it lasts 20 seconds if you don't screwup at all.

Taunts:Up, Coin Toss coin flip, Side, First Contact translate(just the pose and noise, no text), Down, Ringside, POSE FOR THE FANS!

Grab:Tongue Lashing tongue(the lizard, not Tibby).

Pummels:Munchy Monk slaps. Jumps:two. Jump Height:Medium. Fall speed:Medium. Walk Speed:Medium. Dash Speed:Medium.

Victory Animations:He jumps in the air and smiles, bangs his chest like a drum, or scratches his hair modestly. Losing would have him crying while clapping.

Victory Music:Superb Theme Rhythm Heaven Megamix, just the jingle not the whole song.

Costumes
64 had 4 costumes, Melee had a varying amount, Brawl for the most part had 6, Wii U/3DS for the most part had 8, so I'm going to go with 10 for this.
Thanks for reading. Tibby for smash 5!

Supporters
Jamesster445
Squashinikun
GoodGrief741
Lampy
xjthegulpin
KeybladeSmasher
Fogbadge
Me​

Last edited:

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
Nice moveset! Better then mine probably, though I'll keep mine to make it more unique rather than having one moveset everywhere. Also I like my idea of having the other heaven world residents more than 8 colors of Tibby.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’d love a character from RH to make it in, and he looks fun, so count me as a supporter.

D

Deleted member

Finally, a support thread for a RH character. I support.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Rhythm Heaven NEEDS the representation, as well as rhythm games in general. A Rhythm Heaven rep is definitely my #1 choice for a newcomer. I support.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
We desperately need some RH representation, and though I'm still more loyal to Marshal...

I can dig having a character with a big pink afro in Smash. I'll support.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
I still think Tibby is the best option, but I would still be 100% satisfied with Marshal or anyone else. Tibby actually appears throughout his whole game is the reason I think he makes more sense. On the topic of Tibby or any RH char, do we think they should be an actual model, or be in the art style of RH(Fever and Megamix specifically) like game and watch? I have no prefrence tbh.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i really want a rhythm paradise character in smash, and tibby is one of the many whod be great to smash as put down as a supporter

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Personally, I'd have the characters be 3D models since they are implied to be 3D in the context of their world, as seen in Rhythm Rally or Airboarder.

I did a Karate Joe smashified to see if I could work out how he'd appear in 3D, and something similar for Tibby would work just fine I think.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I definitely support the idea of Tibby as a RH rep in Smash. He's the closest the series has to a main character so it makes the most sense. I also support the idea of a G&W-style moveset so it uses other RH characters in it.

Put me in a s a supporter.

(Also, you might want to fix the format of the moveset in the OP. Right now it's all in one paragraph so it's kinda hard to read).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Tibby would be ****ing adorable as a fighter.

I support too. Megamix was a fun game with a cute story.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Tibby is a solid choice and is an actual character with a storyline and personality, though I think Marshal is more recognizable/iconic as a series mascot? Then again, I will be happy if ANY Rhythm Heaven character makes it.

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
I support it, I would really prefer the chorus kids, but if it's for support the game Rhythm Heaven, I do not care who it is :)

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Would it be fair to say that Tibby is the only Rhythm Heaven character to truly be a protagonist to their game? I'll admit I've never played though the previous games fully but to me it seems like Megamix is the only one to have any plot or characters outside of instructors or NPCs such as the Barista.

Regardless, he definitely is the protagonist of the latest game, plus has an adorable design and personality. Support!

I'm hoping for any Rhythm Heaven character this time around.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Would it be fair to say that Tibby is the only Rhythm Heaven character to truly be a protagonist to their game? I'll admit I've never played though the previous games fully but to me it seems like Megamix is the only one to have any plot or characters outside of instructors or NPCs such as the Barista.

Regardless, he definitely is the protagonist of the latest game, plus has an adorable design and personality. Support!

I'm hoping for any Rhythm Heaven character this time around.
he is indeed the only protagonist of a rhythm paradise game so far, rhythm paradise for the switch (if we're lucky)

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Personally I didn't enjoy the story of Megamix. It was fine and a tad funny at time but it just kept me from playing the Rhythm Games when I was playing through it. I didn't like having to read through text after almost every rhythm game. Half way through I just skimmed past the text just so I could continue playing. I don't hate Tibby though I just found him boring and forgettable compared to the characters who actually have a rhythm game.

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
I see a problem with Tibby.

Imagine the All-Star mode of Smash Bros Switch, in what year will Tibby be placed? 2006 that was when Rhythm Tengoku came out or 2015 that is when it appeared?

As it happens with the Chorus Kids, in what year would they put it? 2006 or 2008 that the Chorus Kids appeared in DS's Rhythm Heaven?

There are quite strange here, the Villager in the All-Star mode puts 2001 being the date of the Animal Crossing of Nintendo 64 being exclusive of Japan.

Seeing it like that, I think they'll put the first characters of Rhythm Tengoku, Karate Joe or Rhythm Girl.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Imagine the All-Star mode of Smash Bros Switch, in what year will Tibby be placed? 2006 that was when Rhythm Tengoku came out or 2015 that is when it appeared?

As it happens with the Chorus Kids, in what year would they put it? 2006 or 2008 that the Chorus Kids appeared in DS's Rhythm Heaven?

There are quite strange here, the Villager in the All-Star mode puts 2001 being the date of the Animal Crossing of Nintendo 64 being exclusive of Japan.

Seeing it like that, I think they'll put the first characters of Rhythm Tengoku, Karate Joe or Rhythm Girl.
thats not really a problem if its like with brawl he'll appear when rhythm paradise debuted and if its like smash 4 he'll be in his own debut time frame

same goes for the chorus kids that problem only exists if they do it both ways for all stars which we have no of knowing that theyd do

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
You know, I'm planning on getting Rhythm Heaven Megamix. Add me to the supporters, please!

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

Well, we don't know how Smash Switch will handle All Star mode, but if it's like Smash 4, then Tibby should be in 2015, where he debuted.

After all, Ness shows up in All Star mode in 1994, which is when Earthbound, not Mother 1, was first released in Japan.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I personally hope if Tibby or any other Rhythm Heaven character are added as playable in Smash, they have a rhythm based gimmick.

For example, moves that are powerful but must be hit in rhythm, moves that only work in rhythm, etc; anything like that. I feel the fact that they are rhythm games should be reflected in any moveset.

It would help diversify them from other characters and be a good representation of how Rhythm Heaven plays.

Last edited:

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
I have thought about it, and I think Joe deserves to be in the game more. As such, this thread is either closing, or under new ownership

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'm definitely a bigger fan of Tibby than any other Rhythm Heaven character for Smash, so I hope someone is willing to take the thread. :|

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
Do not you think this is very suspicious?

That is, we talk about characters that are Mr. Game & Watch style with a moveset based on the Rhythm Heaven minigames and we have these Tibby artworks disguised as several mini-games... they are from the Nintendo 3DS menu.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was planned in December 2015 and Rhythm Heaven Megamix went on sale in Japan in June 2015, would there be possibilities?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Tibby remains one of the Rhythm Heaven characters to not get one of the surprisingly plentiful spirits in Ultimate despite being the protagonist of Megamix, and there's no unique representation of RH in Ultimate like Mii costumes or Assist Trophies, just the spirits and a few music tracks that could be added to. Obviously RH isn't exactly a hype franchise like Persona and other DLC possibilities, but maybe in the event that Nintendo wanted a first party franchise to break their third parties that's both new to the franchise and may have a decent fanbase in al in Japan, they'd go for one popular remaining Nintendo IP without any significant presence in Ultimate? Even Chibi Robo aleast got a Mii costume.

Maybe still not a great chance lol, RH wasn't in Smash 4 DLC, but I can dream. Its worth noting there was scrapped plans for a RH character in Smash 4, a 2014 game that had Fever as its most recent release to consider it. Also Tibby would be good for the one "multi rhythm game moveset" idea given to a RH character, as well as the only central story one. I don't know if they plan to use Tibby in future games outside of a cameo in Warioware Gold, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Some people did this real animation, but they messed up by making the one joke dream rep at the end Waluigi and not, ya'know, a Rhythm Heaven character...

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I fully support my favorite little afro bear... thing.

Also, don't you think it's strange that, despite being an important RH character, he doesn't have any sort of representation in Ultimate whatsoever ?
Tebiri.png

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
Boy its been a while. I still stand by preferring Joe now and maybe even Chorus Kids if they came with the conductor like in the leak but like I've said I'd take anyone. (I'm gonna post this piece in various other RH threads, sorry) Hope is at an all time low and I'm not like super hopeful but... we can't give up completely can we? I mean Arms was "presumed dead" and then... yeah. There are 2 ways to look at its inclusion, one of which hurts us, but one helps. It's inclusion right after Byleth makes me very much think we'll get at least 1 more first party fighter, quite possibly 2 maybe even 3 (especially since its been ages since anything leaked for smash, though I can't see less then at least 2 third party fighters) but if Arms was added purely for promotion then... we might be a bit screwed. Yes Megamix was only 2 years before Arms but... Arms is on the switch is the big deal to me. However... Arms has another aspect. In interviews Sakurai said Arms was considered for the base roster but didn't make the cut due to timing. As for DLC he said the Arms team requested it. Revisiting old ideas... requests... must I say more? Requests might not be as obvious but if Tsunku is asking us to make our voices heard for a new Rhythm Heaven then... he'd ask... right? Not to mention he literally retweeted a Rhythm Heaven in Smash animation right before asking one of those times. Honestly, when I actually sit down and think about everything... it seems very much plausible... but that optimism quickly fades. There's plenty against it of course, I won't talk about that here since I'm sure you all are aware. All we can do is hope. Lastly I'd like to make a double plug of sorts. While I do not own this account entirely, the owner (Jomspoons, the guy who made the Karate Joe thread) gave me tweetdeck access a while ago. The account kinda died but I've decided to revive it, check it out maybe? https://twitter.com/RH4Smash you may notice the most recent retweet is from my personal. RH in smash history documentary maybe? It'd likely be at least 25 minutes, frankly could be an hour but I'll try to be reasonable. Keep your rhythm up!

Top Bottom