• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's toast those Smashers! ~ Spyro Reignites Super Smash Brothers

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, it seems that some research had been done in regards to what went wrong with Enter the Dragonfly.

In summary, it's official: not only did Universal not really care, they had no idea what they were doing. They had no business owning game IPs.
It’s a perfect storm of everything that could go wrong with a game. Easily one of the worst games of all time.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Dunno if this thread is still active, but I'd love to be added as a supporter. Spyro 3 is one of my fave games and Spyro's moveset translates so easily to Smash!

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I just had an amazing idea for a casual gimmick on Spyro's stage.

Every so often, a crystal dragon appears on the battlefield. Once a fighter touches it, they will free the dragon trapped inside, who will then briefly assist the fighter who freed them.

Recruiting dragons is similar to recruiting the Flying Men in Magicant. However, the dragons behave more like Assist Trophies than actual fighters: each dragon has a unique effect, and they can be KO'd for a point. Once a dragon has served their purpose, they say "Thank you for releasing me" before heading out.

Dragons from Spyro 1:
  • Nestor: Summons a giant hammer of fire and swings it down on the fighters.
  • Gavin: Brews coffee for his fighter, giving them multiple bursts of mild healing and speed buffs.
  • Nils: Crafts a random item, and passes it directly to his fighter when they touch him. Nils can craft up to three items before leaving, and he will drop his item when KO'd.
  • Magnus: Slowly flies into the air and slams into the ground, dealing heavy damage to fighters he lands on and tripping all grounded fighters.
  • Conan: Attacks with his lance, behaving exactly like Corrin's Side-B.
  • Ulric: Charges at fighters with his shield. Invulnerable from the front.
  • Cosmos: Uses magic to command-grab fighters and fling them skyward.
  • Eldrid: Throws explosive potions with random debuffs.
  • Altair: Gazes deep into his crystal ball to predict the future. He will brutally counter physical attacks and reflect projectiles that hit him while he's looking at his crystal ball, but he is vulnerable if his gaze is elsewhere.
  • Bruno: Summons warthogs to charge into the fighters. The warthogs are invulnerable.
  • Cyprin: Lies on the spot, making no effort to move. He will swipe at approaching fighters with his hands, feet and wings, dealing deceptively high damage.
  • Bubba: Rushes in and attacks with a flurry of bare fists.
  • Jed: Flies up and out of reach, and throws bananas at the enemy fighters below
  • Lateef: Summons an illusion of his fighter to fight alongside them. The illusion only deals half damage, but it is also invulnerable.
  • Bakari: Controls a cloud of magic in the shape of a sheep. Enemy fighters who touch this cloud will immediately fall asleep.
  • Useni: Attacks with electric spinning kicks.
Dragons from other games (rare):
  • Nanny: From Spyro: A Hero's Tail. Hugs her fighter, healing them significantly.
  • Ignitus: From the Legend of Spyro. Surrounds himself with a powerful vortex of fire and approaches the enemy fighters.
  • Flashwing: From Skylanders. Attacks with beams of light.
  • Komodo Moe: From Crash Bandicoot. Lobs scimitars at the fighters.
  • Rathalos, Tiki or Dragon-type Pokémon may be freed, behaving as though they were summoned by Assist Trophy or Pokeball.
  • Ridley, Corrin or Spyro may be freed if they aren't participating in the fight.

In the Hazards Off, Battlefield and Omega versions of the stage, the dragons will simply watch from the sidelines.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
You know something funny? If Spyro joined Smash, and was accompanied by Cynder as an echo, that would technically make Cynder the first Australian made character in Smash.

It's true. The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning was developed by Krome Studios, an Australian developer. They also developed Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.

It'd be pretty amusing if the protagonist of Hollow Knight was added as a Mii costume in the same wave as Spyro and Cynder. Imagine the bewilderment.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Surprise! I got the Reignited Trilogy for Christmas & I've been having a total ball with it since then (currently playing Year of the Dragon for the first time).
Any desire I already had for seeing the purple pyromaniac in Smash has hit an all-time high. A moveset would be ridiculously straight-forward between Spyro's natural dragon abilities, the various elemental breaths, & v e h i c l e s. Plus, we could always use more toons in this mascot fighter.

In short, I'd like to be added to the support list!

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I just had another idea. What if Spyro's stage had an alternate version, like Boxing Ring, with retro graphics, low-poly crystal dragons, and music from the original games instead of the Reignited soundtrack?

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I found this thread again! XD
Okay, I got some ideas for Spirits and Music Spyro could bring with him.

Spyro - Fighter
Sparx - Tiny:ultpichu:
Nestor - Giant:ultyoshi:
Thief - :ultsonic:
Gnasty Gnorc - :ultsonic::ultsonic:(:ultkingdedede:spawning afterwards)★★★★
Elora - :ultzelda:★★
Professor - :ultdoc:★★
Hunter - :ultlink:★★
Ripto - :ultkrool:Ore Club:ultkrool:(:ultbowserjr:spawning afterwards)★★★★
Sheila - Bunny Hood:ultmewtwo:★★★
Sgt. Byrd - Rocket Belt:ultfalco:★★★
Agent 9 - Ray Gun:ultdiddy:★★★
Bentley - Ore Club:ultdk:★★★
Sorceress - Star Rod:ultkrool::ultisabelle:★★★★
Blink - Ray Gun:ultfox:★★★
Red - Staff:ultcharizard:(:ultridley:spawning afterwards)★★★★

Main Title - Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Main Title - Spyro the Dragon
Artisans - Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Stone Hill - Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Dark Hollow - Spyro the Dragon
Alpine Ridge - Spyro the Dragon
Wizard Peak - Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Tree Tops - Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Wild Flight - Spyro the Dragon
Gnorc Cove - Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Colossus - Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Aquaria Towers - Spyro: Gateway to Glimmer
Zephyr - Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Skelos Badlands - Spyro: Gateway to Glimmer
Midnight Mountain - Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Sheila's Alp - Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Sgt. Byrd's Base - Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Bentley's Outpost - Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Agent 9's Lab - Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Fireworks Factory - Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Sorceress's Lair - Spyro: Reignited Trilogy

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Yo, what to you think Spyro's Classic mode route would be?
I'm having a hard time coming up with one myself.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
While I'm having a difficult time thinking about how Spyro could play out, I can think of some possible spirits. Of course, they all pretty much come from the original trilogy.

Fighter Spirits
  1. Spyro
Primary Spirits
  1. Gnasty Gnorc - Shield Type - Novice Class - 2 Slots - Weight ↑
  2. Elora - Neutral Type - Advanced Class - 3 Slots
  3. Ripto - Attack Type - Ace Class - 3 Slots - Magic Attack ↑
  4. Bianca - Grab Type - Ace Class - 3 Slots - Item Gravitation
  5. Sorceress - Neutral Type - Legend Class - 1 Slot - Super Armor
Support Spirits
  1. Sparx - Novice Class - Stamina ↑
  2. Zoe - Advanced Class - Fairy Bottle Equipped
  3. Hunter - Advanced Class - Weapon Attack ↑
  4. Crush & Gulp - Advanced Class - Stats ↑ after Eating
  5. Agent 9 - Advanced Class - Ray Gun Equipped
Notes
In regards to the spirit classes for the major villains, Gnasty Gnorc is considered a Novice class spirit, due to being nothing more than a big joke; practically the least threatening of the three major villains. Ripto and Sorceress are far more credible threats, however, which is why they're given the Ace and Legend classes respectively; Sorceress gets Legend for being arguably the darkest (and the most threatening to Spyro and his race) of the three major villains.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I'm gonna try making a moveset here.

Entrance: Spyro flies in, does a loop then lands, mimicking his usual level entrance from Spyro the Dragon.
Jab Combo: A basic headbutt, then a horn swipe to the side, followed by a tail swing and a horn strike upwards to launch. His melee combo in Legend of Spyro.
U-Tilt: A sweeping headbutt covering Spyro's front and top. This is the Horn Toss from Shadow Legacy.
S-Tilt: A strong jab forwards with his horns. This is the Horn Jab from Shadow Legacy.
D-Tilt: Sweeps low with his tail. This is the Tail Swipe from Shadow Legacy.
Dash Attack: A quick charge forward with his horns referencing Shadow Legacy's Horn Slide move.
U-Smash: Charges a ball of flame launched into the air in an arc. The longer the charge, the more distance the ball gets. The Fire Bomb from A Hero's Tail.
S-Smash: Charges a fireball that travels directly forwards. Charging affects the distance. His fire breath from Skylanders.
D-Smash: Leaps briefly into the air with a wind-box dragging inwards, then follows with a powerful Head Bash move on the ground.
N-Air: A circular spin with his horns referencing his Pole Spin in A Hero's Tail.
U-Air: A multi-hit drilling motion with his tail upwards. The Tail Thunder from Shadow Legacy.
F-Air: Swings downwards with his tail with a meteor effect on the tip. Shadow Legacy's Tail Hammer.
D-Air: Stops and spins in midair and drops down in a Head Bash.
B-Air: A quick turn in the air with a small fire breath behind him.
Ledge Attack: Pulls himself up and does a sideways attack with his wing.
N-Special: His standard fire breath. Weakens the longer the button is held.
U-Special: Briefly gains the Super Flight powerup and dashes in a chosen direction. Can be steered.
S-Special: Gains Supercharge and rushes forwards. Turning, jumping or shielding cancels the charge.
D-Special: Gains Ice Breath and blasts in front of him with ice, freezing opponents.
Pummel: Grabs the opponent in his mouth and pummels them with small bursts of flame.
All throws are simple tosses of his head followed by a gush of fire.
U-Taunt: Sparx flies around Spyro as he looks around.
S-Taunt: Stretches his front legs out in the cat-like pose he does in Reignited Trilogy.
D-Taunt: Turns to the camera and winks.
Spyro's dodges are the sideways roll from Spyro the Dragon.
Spyro's shielding is his Wing Shield from Enter the Dragonfly.
FINAL SMASH: Spyro gains Super Flame and fires multiple huge waves of fire.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is mostly just a continuation of my spirit concepts. In this case, I wanted to input the stat spreads for the primary spirit ideas that I posted earlier.

Spirit | Type | Class | Slots | Ability | Min. Power | Max. Power | Min. Attack | Max. Attack | Min. Defense | Max. Defense
Gnasty Gnorc | Shield | Novice | 2 | Weight ↑ | 1060 | 5300 | 300 | 1500 | 700 | 3500
Elora | Neutral | Advanced | 3 | [None] | 1600 | 6400 | 700 | 2800 | 900 | 3600
Ripto | Attack | Ace | 3 | Magic Attack ↑ | 3074 | 9222 | 1600 | 4800 | 1300 | 3900
Bianca | Grab | Ace | 3 | Item Gravitation | 2862 | 8586 | 1000 | 3000 | 1700 | 5100
Sorceress | Neutral | Legend | 1 | Super Armor | 4896 | 12240 | 2040 | 5100 | 2040 | 5100

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
A fun gimmick idea:

If Spyro is accompanied by Sparx and hit with an instant KO attack, Sparx will take the full force of the attack and disappear. Spyro will instead receive fixed knockback, and his damage will be set to 99.9% if it isn't already above that.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Spyro's main competition for a potential slot is with Crash, but given how Activision loves pairing the two up, it's entirely possible that even if Spyro isn't playable, the character could be a stage cameo or potentially akin to the summons from the Midgar stage and help you out. Still, Spyro being playable would be quite nice

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Spyro's main competition for a potential slot is with Crash, but given how Activision loves pairing the two up, it's entirely possible that even if Spyro isn't playable, the character could be a stage cameo or potentially akin to the summons from the Midgar stage and help you out. Still, Spyro being playable would be quite nice
What if the reason they're doing 6 instead of 5... is to have both Crash and Spyro?

D

Deleted member

That’d be awesome.

Think Crash has a better chance.

But man getting him and Spyro boy that’s just crazy.

Would be happy to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What if the reason they're doing 6 instead of 5... is to have both Crash and Spyro?
Probably. On one hand, Spyro does terribly in Japan to this day. On the other, the Smash staff and Nintendo higher-ups do pay close attention to what Western fans want on occasion, and Spyro's GP remained intact in Japan's version of Nitro-Fueled.

Although I doubt they'd have two slots for the same company in the same pass, crazier things have happened.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
That’d be awesome.

Think Crash has a better chance.

But man getting him and Spyro boy that’s just crazy.

Would be happy to see it.
Probably. On one hand, Spyro does terribly in Japan to this day. On the other, the Smash staff and Nintendo higher-ups do pay close attention to what Western fans want on occasion, and Spyro's GP remained intact in Japan's version of Nitro-Fueled.

Although I doubt they'd have two slots for the same company in the same pass, crazier things have happened.
Oh, there's no doubt Crash was always the Mario to Spyro's Luigi, but knowing Activision, I also wouldn't put it past them to insist on a double deal like that.
If Crash does get in first though, I imagine demand for Spyro would skyrocket. One would never feel right without the other.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I really liked the crash games growing up but for some reason only recently got around to trying out the spyro series when reignited trilogy finally released on switch. Would really be cool to see both get in although crash is still priority to me personally.

I feel like spyro deserves another shot at popularity in Japan and I think most fighters have likely seen increased popularity in unpopular regions after getting in and i do not think spyro would be an exception although i am no expert on this type of thing.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
To tell the truth, I only ever owned the original PS1 game, never got to play Ripto's Rage, and only a small portion of Year of the Dragon. It wasn't until the Reignited Trilogy came out that I was able to play the trilogy proper and in it's entirety.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Real talk though, if it weren’t for the botched localisation, Spyro’s original games would have easily sold around half a million in Japan.

Also, you really have to give credit to Reignited Trilogy for what it did with the adult dragons, making them more diverse in designs and really giving them more personality.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I finally came up with a Classic Mode route!

Spyro Route: The Adventure Begins...
No prizes for guessing what it's based on.
Round 1: :ultroy::ultduckhunt:| Green Greens | ♪ Dark Hollow
Round 2: :ultkingdedede:| Gerudo Valley | ♪ Dry Canyon
Round 3: :ultrobin::ultzelda:| Summit | ♪ Wizard Peak
Round 4: :ultrob::ultdk:| Brinstar | ♪ Wild Flight
Round 5: :ultlarry:| StreetPass Quest | ♪ Dark Passage
Round 6: :ultkrool:| Unova Pokemon League | ♪ Gnasty Gnorc
Bonus Round

Final Round: Master Hand & Crazy Hand | ♪ Main Theme (Spyro Reignited Trilogy)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I definitely do want the last two characters to be Crash and Spyro. I've been playing through the PSX Spyro trilogy, and with today's announcements, his game's coming to Switch. So I have hope for the both of them.
I had a loving dream that the next fighters pass would be revealed by Crash being fighter 5- and then Spyro would join in at the end to reveal a new fighters pass.

These two characters, thanks to Skylanders in large part, really both have completely different followings and reasonings. A 1-2 punch would have been... well, better than what happened. But that's a pretty easy goal to overcome.

D

Deleted member

Lots of good ideas for Spyro.

You guys have very great idea for classic mode and other stuff for Spyro.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
What if Spyro had a Palutena's Guidance

Pit: Whoa! Check it out! A purple dragon!

Palutena: It's a rare sight to see indeed Pit! Purple dragons are only born once every ten generations, and Spyro here is the latest in that line!
Specifically, Spyro is what's known as an 'Artisan Dragon'

Pit: He's an artist? Do you think he takes commissions...?

Palutena: Well the art of combat is still art in and of itself I suppose. Spyro can do far more than just breathe fire, he'll also breathe ice and even electricity to win the battle! His headbutt will also send you flying off the edge if you're not careful.

Pit: I really don't want to be hit by those horns...

Viridi: What are you two gossiping about this time? Huh? Is that Spyro?

Pit: You know him too?

Viridi: I'd better know who he is, the other dragons never shut up about him! "Ohh! Spyro saved the Dragon Realm! Spyro saved the Skylands!" he's all they ever talk about!

Pit: You chat with dragons??

Viridi: I have a friends besides you two, you know...

Pit: HA! YOU JUST ADMITTED WE'RE FRIENDS!

Viridi: .......... [dial tone sound]

D

Deleted member

Nice one MonkeyDLenny Really likes that Palutena’s Guidance.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So, if Toys For Bob are indeed doing the next Crash game, does this mean that Vicarious Visions have been working on an upcoming Spyro game?
For now i believe they're making Tony Hawk 1+2 HD. Don't know how long Spyro 4 would take to be made.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Classic Mode Route: In the World of Dragons
A series of battles in which Spyro fights battles with links to dragons, often involving a team battle with a draconian ally

R1: Spyro & Charizard vs Pikachu
R2: Spyro & Bowser vs Mario & Luigi
R3: Spyro & Ridley vs Samus & Dark Samus
R4: Spyro, Robin & Corrin vs Marth, Chrom & Lucina
R5: Spyro vs Ryu
R6: Spyro vs Hero x4

Boss Battle: Vs. Rathalos

Top Bottom