• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's toast those Smashers! ~ Spyro Reignites Super Smash Brothers

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, CTR Remake is coming. I would bet a silver dollar for Spyro to make a guest appearance.

With Spyro Switch being one of the worst kept secrets in gaming, things look ok. I would say we do have to consider Crash as coming first. He is a bigger deal in japan and he is the one more people are thinking of. I see Crash as our foot in the door so to speak. For us to get in wave 2, we need crash first.

Also, I have heard that Spyro RT is getting a patch. Hopefully Lost Fleet is fixed that level runs like crap.
Yeah, I'd be okay with Spyro missing the initial boat (this batch or otherwise) as long as Crash can get in first.

Nikster31

Smash Rookie
So, CTR Remake is coming. I would bet a silver dollar for Spyro to make a guest appearance.

With Spyro Switch being one of the worst kept secrets in gaming, things look ok. I would say we do have to consider Crash as coming first. He is a bigger deal in japan and he is the one more people are thinking of. I see Crash as our foot in the door so to speak. For us to get in wave 2, we need crash first.

Also, I have heard that Spyro RT is getting a patch. Hopefully Lost Fleet is fixed that level runs like crap.
Word, I'm glad more people feel this way

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Does anyone else feel like the next Nintendo Direct is gonna be the one with a Spyro port? I feel like it's been long enough for some news on that front, and these Nintendo Direct rumours are making me antsy.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Here's how I think Spyro's Charge would work in Smash.

Spyro's charge would be his Side Special move. Following about 10 frames of input delay, during which Spyro rears his head, Spyro will charge forwards. His charge speed will be slightly faster than Captain Falcon's running speed. He will continue to charge while the Special Button is held.

If the charge is executed in the air, Spyro will remain in place during the input delay, but his falling speed during the charge is extremely high. When on the ground, Spyro can jump during a charge, but a charge jump is only as tall as a short hop, and double jumping during the charge is impossible.

During the charge, a hitbox covers Spyro's horns for about 9% damage, and a sourspot dealing 5% damage covers the rest of his head. An enemy hit by the charge receives standard knockback with low scaling. What happens to Spyro after connecting the charge, however, depends on the total damage the target has taken.

The weight of the target is factored into an equation which outputs a percentage value known as a Size Threshold. The heavier the opponent, the higher the threshold. If the current damage of the target after being hit by the charge is lower than the Size Threshold, Spyro will bounce back after connecting the charge and the target's knockback is halved. However, if the target's damage meets or exceeds the Size Threshold, they will receive full knockback and Spyro's charge will continue uninterrupted.

Turning around during a charge takes slightly longer than turning around during a dash.

Upon releasing the charge, Spyro's momentum is briefly preserved, taking about 25 frames to return to normal, and he experiences almost no end lag. On the ground, releasing the charge will put Spyro in a dashing state.

If Spyro charges enemies that are too big and strong, the bounceback Spyro endures will cut off his flow. At best, the neutral will reset, but it's also possible for Spyro's opponent to capitalise on his mistake. However, when used on characters that are sufficiently light and/or sufficiently weakened, Spyro's charge is an excellent combo starter! This forces the Spyro player to consider the size of their opponent when deciding how to attack, much like his original games.

Outside of combat, the charge's low endlag and versatile movement options make it a great tool for mixups, which perfectly suits Spyro's character.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
One of the Youtube moveset creations I watched had a brilliant idea that Sparx should be around Spyro at all times, visually reflecitng his health.

I thought that was bloody brilliant.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Long overdue but I'd like to support. I played one of the GBA games a while back and I'm hoping we get both a Switch port of the Remastered Trilogy as well as Spyro in Crash Nitro Fueled.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Spyro is too small for Smash!
What? Didn't that work for the last purple dragon?

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
With two unknowns remaining in this Fighters pass, I think it's time to accept that Spyro won't be one of them.

I've said before that there's no way that Spyro could get into Smash Bros before Crash. The only way Spyro could get in now is if Crash were Fighter Pack 4 and Spyro were Fighter Pack 5. I gotta be real, though: that would be a harsh anticlimax for far too many Smash fans.

This does not mean we should stop supporting the idea of Spyro in Smash. The fact is that Spyro could work very well as a simple yet unique and powerful fighter in Smash Bros, and we need to make it well known that this is something we want to see.

Assuming that Spyro will be in this Fighters Pass is highly unrealistic at this stage, but we can't lose hope that he will be a part of the next Smash game, or even the next Fighters Pass!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I definitely do want the last two characters to be Crash and Spyro. I've been playing through the PSX Spyro trilogy, and with today's announcements, his game's coming to Switch. So I have hope for the both of them.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The Reignited Trilogy now on Switch really makes Spyro an official Smash candidate. He's literally behind Crash now.

Intriguing, bruh.

D

Deleted member

I support Spyro mostly because of the history between him and Crash regarding the games and fandom.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I would love Spyro content in Smash, Reignited didn't quench my thirst for more Spyro content.

I would love a Spyro level that is like Persona's stage. Changing colors and theme. Would love an aquamarine stage like Wizard Peak or a pink one based on Lofty Castle.

Rt_wizard_peak.png

Don't think its likely he will be in before Crash, so, for now, I will just hope CTR's remake brings some nice new takes on classic Spyro worlds and music.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
As far as Spyro levels, Magic Crafters Home, Midnight Mountain or Sunrise Spring for me.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
I think Spyro would be a wonderful addition to Smash. Loving the idea of a color changing Sparx. The Legend trilogy is my personal favorite and I'd really like to see some of that in his potential move set. Of course, there's no such thing as a bad Spyro so I'm sure I'd enjoy him in any form they'd choose.

Remember, just because your numbers may be small, it doesn't mean they don't matter. (We only had around 250 before E3 and Erdrick still only has 81) Anything can happen!

Anyway, he may not be what the general public would consider very likely but he's definitely what I'd call worthy.

I say go Spyro!!!

Last edited:

Game Boy Blue

Smash Cadet
TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom if you are still actively tending this I would like to be listed as a Supporter for Spyro in Smash.

Spyro is my most wanted fighter and my favorite video game.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Has this already been mentioned? A question for all Spyro supporters. If Spyro were to become playable, what next newcomer would you like to see?

Personally, other than Spyro, I want to see Elora and the Rhynoc. I know Bianca is more deserving, but I feel Elora is more fit for Smash, especially personality wise. The Rhynoc has potential for a fun variety of moves.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I support Spyro getting in. I think he is very iconic and it'd be fun to have more characters that are quadrupeds. He's admittedly not one of my first picks but I certainly would like to see him make it on the roster.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Never visited this thread before for some reason, but go ahead and add me to that support list, please. Spyro's one of the few third parties I'm advocating for right now.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Yes. Supported. Spyro is one of the only third parties I actually want so him being in Smash, however unlikely, would make my day!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Has this already been mentioned? A question for all Spyro supporters. If Spyro were to become playable, what next newcomer would you like to see?

Personally, other than Spyro, I want to see Elora and the Rhynoc. I know Bianca is more deserving, but I feel Elora is more fit for Smash, especially personality wise. The Rhynoc has potential for a fun variety of moves.
Probably Hunter for me. Always liked the guy a lot.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
So, it's been confirmed that there will be more DLC fighters after the Fighters Pass, but there hasn't been a confirmation of a Fighters Pass 2 or any other details about the structure or distribution of the later DLC fighters. I think that this is a great boon to Spyro's chances.

We all know that Spyro's only shot at joining the roster is on the coattails of Crash Bandicoot. Obviously that's not going to happen for the Fighters Pass, but these two might just make it in as post-FP additions.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So, it's been confirmed that there will be more DLC fighters after the Fighters Pass, but there hasn't been a confirmation of a Fighters Pass 2 or any other details about the structure or distribution of the later DLC fighters. I think that this is a great boon to Spyro's chances.

We all know that Spyro's only shot at joining the roster is on the coattails of Crash Bandicoot. Obviously that's not going to happen for the Fighters Pass, but these two might just make it in as post-FP additions.
I ****in' hope so. Crash would feel incomplete without his cousin Spyro.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Hello all! I'm just gonna put this here...
Spyro Moveset

Overview: Spyro is a relatively average fighter overall, but makes up for his average stats with some fun gimmicks like the ability to glide and the fact that he’s a quadruped and a dragon... Spyro has the same weight as Ivysaur. If Spyro shields and presses B, he can switch to a different element from fire, earth, ice, and electricity. Spyro always starts each stock with the fire element. There is no timer for the different elemental types and they are mostly aesthetic in nature. Any other attack Spyro has that involves flames or fireballs (such as grab, neutral B, ledge attack, 1, 2, 3 jab, up smash, etc) will change with whatever element he is currently using. Flames have a chance of burning opponents to take damage over time. Ice has a small chance to freeze opponents. Electricity has a small chance to stun opponents. Earth has a small chance to plant enemies in the ground. Spyro can glide like Peach/Daisy. Gliding into opponents damages them a little and knocks them back a little but also cancels the glide. Spyro can freely move to either side and attack while gliding but can only glide for a little while before entering a helpless state and turning while gliding is rather slow.

Some other movesets I used for research:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spyro/comm..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76636491

1, 2, 3 Jab: Spyro headbutts forward, then sweeps forward with his tail, then shoots a fireball from his mouth.

Rapid Jab: Spyro stands on his hindlegs and claws forward repeatedly.

Dash Attack: Spyro jumps up and drills straight forward hitting multiple times before launching opponents. Can KO lightweights at higher percentages.

Get up Attack: Spyro lays flat and rolls like a log a short distance then stands up abruptly. This deals a little damage with the roll and when Spyro stands and has a tiny bit of knockback power.

Ledge Attack: Spyro peeks his head up over the ledge and shoots a fireball from his mouth.

Tilt Attacks:

Up Tilt: Spyro sticks his wings straight up doing a little damage with barely any knockback and no start up delay or end lag making it great for juggling and combos.

Side Tilt: Spyro quickly bits in the direction pressed. This is a quick and reliable attack with no start up delay but a tiny bit of end lag that deals good damage with some knockback.

Down tilt: Spyro about-faces turning his whole body to face the opposite direction dealing damage with his head and tail while doing so. The head deals more damage and has more knockback than the tail. This move has no end lag but has a little start up delay.

Smash Attacks:

Up Smash: Spyro crouches while charging this move. Spyro stands on his hindlegs and spews flames from his mouth. The standing animation does a little damage and knocks opponents into the flames damage radius. The flames have a wide cone-shaped hitbox but doesn’t extend very far above Spyro. This move has more KO potential than many of Spyro’s other moves and can KO heavies at mid-high percentages.The move has some start up delay and undesirable end lag.

Forward Smash: Spyro stands on his hindlegs with one front leg drawn back ready to strike while charging this move. Spyro strikes claws forward quickly with his drawn back front leg. This move is powerful but doesn’t have much launch power and is rather short range but has no start up delay and only a little end lag.

Down Smash: Smoke billows out of Spyro’s nostrils while he crouches and looks downwards while charging this move. Spyro spins in a circle while spewing flames. This has excellent damage with little knockback and leaves behind damaging flames in a circle around Spyro for a few frames but leaves Spyro very vulnerable from above (and below if he’s on a raised platform) and from behind before Spyro spins. The fire does not damage Spyro at all. The move has a little start up delay with some end lag.

Grabs/Throws:

Grab: Spyro grabs opponents with his mouth. Pressing the attack button causes Spyro to shoot little flames out of his nostrils to damage opponents.

Up Throw: Spyro flicks his head up tossing opponents up a little and then headbutts them with his horns launching them far and dealing good damage. This move can KO at higher percentages.

Forward Throw: Spyro stands up on his hindlegs and pushes opponents forwards with his front legs damaging opponents and sending them tumbling forward.

Back Throw: Spyro flicks his head up tossing opponents slightly upwards then swings his head backwards hitting opponents with his horns.This move, like up throw, can KO at higher percentages and does good damage and launches opponents far.

Down Throw: Spyro slams opponents down then flies up and horndives (headbash) the opponent with a chance to plant opponents and dealing lots of damage with no knockback.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air: Spyro performs an aerial backflip hitting opponents around him with both his horns and tail

Up Air: Spyro swings his upwards. This has a sweet spot that deals more damage and has more launching power otherwise it has low damage and little knockback.

Forward Air: Spyro does a few aerial forward rolls with a circular hitbox dealing low damage but pushing opponents far forward.

Back Air: Spyro turns with head pointed up and tail down so he’s facing opposite direction that he was initially facing and kicks in that direction with both hindlegs dealing a lot of damage with good launch power but is one of Spyro’s slowest moves. Can KO lightweights at mid percentages.

Down Air: Spyro gets parallel to ground then flips over so that wings are facing ground and strikes downwards with wings. This deals good damage but doesn’t have much launch power but hitting with the very tip of the wings has a meteor effect.

Special Attacks:

Neutral Special: Spyro spews flames from his mouth for a couple of seconds in front of him with a thin cone-shaped hitbox that can be angled slightly. This move has some start up delay and end lag so it can’t be used very quickly in succession but does good damage and traps opponents hit so that they are hit multiple times.

Up Special: Flies up a little (about as far as Little Mac’s up special attack) and then starts gliding. Pressings up again while gliding, causes Spyro to spin like a drill and fly upwards again (about as far as Wario’s up special attack). Gliding into opponents damages them a little and knocks them back a little but also cancels the glide. Spyro can freely move to either side and attack while gliding but can only glide for a little while before entering a helpless state. This gives Spyro very good recovery since he essentially has 2 separate vertical climbs with his up special plus the ability to glide

Side Special: Spyro stamps his front legs while standing in place and blowing smoke from nostrils when charging this move. The longer this move is charged, the farther Spyro will travel, but the move can cause you to self destruct like Jigglypuff’s neutral B. Spyro charges forward horns pointed forward. Opponents hit by this move receive heavy damage and are flattened and stunned briefly. Spyro can turn around while using this charge, but it takes a little while to turn and takes longer the longer the move was charged.

Down Special: Spyro somersaults forward then horndives (headbashes) straight downwards planting opponents hit by the horndive. Similar to down throw in that you can SD with it if not used carefully and has some start up delay and end lag but does great damage and sets up for other attacks.

Final Smash: Spyro breaths aether light from his mouth like his neutral special attack. Opponents hit by the light are taken to a place of light with clouds and a giant ray of light strikes all of them then a giant orb falls from the sky and crashes into them and explodes returned fights to the stage and sending opponents hit flying very far if not KO’d after taking a ton of damage. Or could do the dark form and basically have opponents torn apart at the atomic level.

Emblem: Spyro’s head, Sparx, Portal

Entrance: Spyro flies through a realm portal/gate and lands then blows smoke out of his nostrils while lifting his head and the portal disappears.

Taunts:

Up Taunt: Spyro faces the screen as Sparx flies around Spyro’s head then lands on his nose causing Spyro to sneeze out flames and shake his head as Sparx disappears.

Side Taunt: Spyro looks excited as a gem appears and he crouches to grab it but Sparx comes and eats it before Spyro can jump and Spyro looks disappointed.

Down Taunt: Spyro stomps his front legs while some smoke comes out of his nostrils like he does while charging his side special attack except that Spyro faces the screen when using this taunt.

Victory Pose 1: Flaming sheep run all around as Spyro looks around confused and the sheep turn into butterflies with Sparx begins to eat.

Victory Pose 2: Spyro stands on his hindlegs and crosses his front legs while smoke comes from his nostrils.

Victory Pose 3: Spyro comes charging in from off screen and stops and shoots flames out of his mouth all around then stands on all fours smiling smugly.

Loss Pose: Spyro slowly lifts his head and then hits the ground with it over and over again.

Tagline: Spyro Ignites for Battle!

Palette Swaps:

1. Dark Spyro
  2. Flame
  3. Cynder
  4. Ember
  5. Drobot
  6. Flashwing
  7. Chronicler
  8. Zap
  9. Whirlwind
  10. Polar Whirlwind
  11. Vathek
  12. Sunburn

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, just like to leave this moveset here that I just recently made. I'm a pretty big fan of the spyro games, even if I haven't caught up with them in a while (I really need to play the ignited trilogy), so please add me as a supporter!

Spyro Moveset.jpg

Link to moveset elsewhere so that it is actually legible, due to Smashboards' image compression: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/48883194092/in/dateposted-public/

Feel free to use it in OP if you'd like!

D

Deleted member

He's still definetly the character I want in most. I'd think Crash gets in before him though. Because believe me the orange marsupial deserves it.

But I hope Spyro gets his chance someday.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Crash would definitely be the one to get in first. But I've been having a blast with Reignited Trilogy and after playing it I'd definitely love to see Spyro in the game! He's got a lot of excellent moves that would translate perfectly to Smash, plus he has a unique design, especially as a quadruped!

As for the question of an eventual second Spyro rep, the first one that comes to mine is Hunter. While he's initially incompetant he does accompany Spyro from Spyro 2 on to most of his adventures until the Legends series reboot, so he's got longevity on his side. As for anyone else, Ripto would make a fantastic villain rep, along with Gnasty Gnorc.

D

Deleted member

Yeah glad you're enjoying Spyro Reignited Trilogy it's a charming full-of-personality game and it truly catches the original perfectly I'm not getting it myself but from I have seen it looks awesome.

Also yes with his flame, charge, and gliding Spyro would be perfect. They could even have the flame, and charge in some of his ground, and aerial moves. Hope he gets his chance definetly the character I want in most.

Ripto would be a great choice.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'd love Spyro in Smash! Though I never played him or his games, he's always been an iconic character to me. Plus, his potential movesets would be so much fun to use! Including yours.

D

Deleted member

Welcome aboard good too see this part of the forum kicking again. And the support for Spyro growing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, it seems that some research had been done in regards to what went wrong with Enter the Dragonfly.

In summary, it's official: not only did Universal not really care, they had no idea what they were doing. They had no business owning game IPs.

D

Deleted member

Yikes really shouldn't had in the first place if they didn't know what they were doing.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I played and finished the original/Reignited Spyro trilogy 100% last year and I had a blast! I love it! I would love to see Spyro in Smash even more than Crash, so you can count me in as a supporter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom