• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's toast those Smashers! ~ Spyro Reignites Super Smash Brothers

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I've been playing a lot of Spyro 1 lately, and I've noticed that you can extend the range of the flame breath attack by charging straight after, thus pushing the hit box forward. I think that would be a great mechanic to work into Spyro's loadout.

If physical attacks and breath attacks were able to overlap their end lag, you could replicate these advanced Spyro moves to attack a wider area for safer approaches.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I've been playing a lot of Spyro 1 lately, and I've noticed that you can extend the range of the flame breath attack by charging straight after, thus pushing the hit box forward. I think that would be a great mechanic to work into Spyro's loadout.

If physical attacks and breath attacks were able to overlap their end lag, you could replicate these advanced Spyro moves to attack a wider area for safer approaches.
As unrealistic as it is, one of my favourite mechanics in Spyro was that the fire was always a physical, solid hitbox glued to the mouth. Being able to use a cone of death infront of you no matter where you turned for the duration just made things so much smoother and allowed you to be so much more efficient when clearing rooms, or if you missed them while on the move and need to whip back to get them before the animation ends.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Anyone here already playing the Reignited Trilogy? Never played Spyro before but was always interested. And damn it's so freakin good. It's honestly one of the best platforming games out there. I'm gonna start Spyro 2 later today and I'm totally hyped. Here's hoping that he'll come along the Switch as a Smash fighter aswell as a Switch port of the trilogy. I mean, Skylanders was also a big deal on Nintendo systems in the last few years. That's why I think he should join before Crash albeit he'd be cool too.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Currently playing reignited, I am on Dream Weavers so far.

The art direction for the series is very hit but with a few misses. Bosses and major characters look great, I am suprised people are saying that Sheila and Elora look meh considering what they have done are massive improvements in design. Worlds look great, the designs of every world look so nice. The enemies though, they kind of uglified them for the worse. I liked the derpy cute gnorcs. Changing them to be more uggo was a miss imo.

Music is fine, I am playing through with the new score. I do think that it could have more of the bass that the original had, but the switch is welcome.

Menu UI is something eh. They pull from the Spyro 1 style, I wish they went with the Spyro 2 and 3 style but I understand that the UI is easier that way.

My big issue is how gliding works, Now spyro has a bit of a dip right when a glide starts. I now literally have to glide right at the top of a jump. This has lead to me cratering right at the ledge a few times. I have gotten used to it a bit, but it feels weird.

Spyro himself controls well. He is fluid, charging is great.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
And hopefully they'll bring it to Japan later on, too (with hopefully a better localisation than the older days). Gotta make up for lost time.
So you're from Japan and didn't even get a release date or something for the trilogy? That's weird. I've recently read about that crappy version japanese people got with the original games. You deserve the remakes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So you're from Japan and didn't even get a release date or something for the trilogy? That's weird. I've recently read about that crappy version japanese people got with the original games. You deserve the remakes.
Nah, I'm not from Japan, but I checked Gamefaqs. As it turns out there is a release of Reignited...for the Xbone only.

Even more bizarrely, they somehow got one of the GBA entries in spite of that.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Spyro is so cute in the new game. I think I love this franchise all over again.

I really want Spyro in Smash now. I've heard some people say that Spyro doesn't have much to offer in the way of a moveset, but... he does. He's got a variety of biological weapons (horns/fangs/spike tail/flame breath), he has a variety of abilities (elemental breath/charging and supercharging/earth slam), he can fly, and he can use magic. Honestly that's way more than most Smash characters are packing by default.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I'm done with Spyro RT. Literally, I have done everything I can reasonably be expected to do. The levels, the gems, the collectables, even the skill points and achievements. Now I don't know what I'm going to do...

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Spyro is so cute in the new game. I think I love this franchise all over again.

I really want Spyro in Smash now. I've heard some people say that Spyro doesn't have much to offer in the way of a moveset, but... he does. He's got a variety of biological weapons (horns/fangs/spike tail/flame breath), he has a variety of abilities (elemental breath/charging and supercharging/earth slam), he can fly, and he can use magic. Honestly that's way more than most Smash characters are packing by default.
Sakurais Reasoning is weird and he seems not to care about Moveset Potential. Heck he made Characters out of Piranha Plant, Duck Hunt and Ice Clinbers and those Chars don't really do that much in the Games they originated from, while he made Ganondorf, who actually has moveset potential, a Falcon clone and Isaac an AT.

Even though i'd love to see Spyro I don't think he really has that much of a chance mainly due to him kinda competing with Crash. I think Crash actually has Chances because he represents Playstation during the Time they were Nintendos hardest competition. Spyro on the other side was more of a secondary Mascot. I mean would you put in Vegeta over Goku? Felix over Isaac?

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I think Crash and Spyro go hand in hand, but it's true it would be weird seeing Spyro make it in before Crash.

Ideally they'd be announced together in the same trailer. And after Piranha Plant we've descended into total roster anarchy.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I think Crash and Spyro go hand in hand, but it's true it would be weird seeing Spyro make it in before Crash.

Ideally they'd be announced together in the same trailer. And after Piranha Plant we've descended into total roster anarchy.
Considering the huge success of Skylanders, it wouldn't be too weird in my opinion. But as long as there's no port of the trilogy for the Switch, it's unlikely either way.

PsychoJosh

Considering the huge success of Skylanders, it wouldn't be too weird in my opinion. But as long as there's no port of the trilogy for the Switch, it's unlikely either way.
It actually was "leaked" for Switch and PC numerous times, and I'm confident those ports are still coming, it's just that for whatever reason they're holding out on an official announcement. Maybe they're planning it for a direct sometime in the future.

https://gamerant.com/spyro-reignited-trilogy-pc-nintendo-switch/

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
It actually was "leaked" for Switch and PC numerous times, and I'm confident those ports are still coming, it's just that for whatever reason they're holding out on an official announcement. Maybe they're planning it for a direct sometime in the future.

https://gamerant.com/spyro-reignited-trilogy-pc-nintendo-switch/
From a business point, there's really no point not to port it over if they can get it working. It's basically free money. Just hope it's a little more polished than it is now.

PsychoJosh

Actually I have a theory that they're holding back the ports to keep the game in the public consciousness longer.

These days what usually happens with games is, casual players pick them up, play them and talk about them for a month, and then just forget about them and move on. That's what happened with the new God of War and Spider-Man games. By splitting the platform release schedule they keep people talking about the game for a longer amount of time.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I'd find it weirder if Crash appeared, but Spyro didn't in any capacity, not even as a spirit.

Actually I have a theory that they're holding back the ports to keep the game in the public consciousness longer.

These days what usually happens with games is, casual players pick them up, play them and talk about them for a month, and then just forget about them and move on. That's what happened with the new God of War and Spider-Man games. By splitting the platform release schedule they keep people talking about the game for a longer amount of time.
That seems plausible enough. Let's just hope they'll plan out a Japanese release thoroughly, since I doubt only having an Xbone version over there will reach much of an audience.

PsychoJosh

Crash and Spyro are bros to the end. They go together and will probably show up together in Smash if either of them show up at all.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I wanted to make a thread for creating Classic Mode campaigns for unconfirmed fighters, but with all this leak business I'm worried I'll be hit with a final boss spoiler. I already know about at least one that I shouldn't know yet. So anyway, instead I'm going to post a Classic mode campaign for Spyro over here.

SPYRO: DRAGON TALES

In this campaign, Spyro will face off against videogaming's greatest dragons and dragon-like creatures.

Round 1: Vs Charizard
Round 2: Vs Meta Knight
Round 3: Vs Bowser and Bowser Jr.
Round 4: Vs Team Yoshi
Round 5: Vs Giant Ridley
Round 6: Vs Corrin and Marth
Final Boss: Vs Rathalos

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Final Fantasy 7 wasn't heading to the Wii U when Cloud joined the battle; so this doesn't really have any bearing on Spyro's chances.

Practically speaking, there is only way Spyro's getting into Smash Bros: if Nintendo approaches Activision about including Crash in Smash, (which they will, if they haven't already, because he's arguably the most popular mascot not yet represented in the series), it would be in Activision's best interest to negotiate the inclusion of adding Spyro as well. Activision are clearly building up these two franchises as equals. If Crash joined Smash by himself, Spyro would inevitably be seen as the inferior counterpart, spoiling his reputation and sales numbers.

Plus, Spyro being added to Smash would definitely boost his popularity in the lucrative Asian market. That would make localising the Reignited Trilogy to the region financially viable.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I was going to post these in my custom Spirits thread, but that's long dead. So instead, here are a few Spirit concepts for Spyro's supporting cast.

SHEILA
Class: Advanced Primary Spirit
Core Type: Balanced
Spirit Challenge: Defeat Yoshi (red skin) at Smashville. The enemy is equipped with a Bunny hood, and is assisted by three Gogoats.

SGT. BYRD
Core Type: Attack
Spirit Challenge: Defeat King Dedede at Temple. The enemy is tiny, and equipped with a Rocket Belt and Steel Diver.

BENTLEY:
Core Type: Defence
Spirit Challenge: Defeat Donkey Kong (white skin) in a Stamina match at Summit. The enemy is armed with an Ore Club. The enemy likes to jab attack.

AGENT 9
Core Type: Grab
Spirit Challenge: Defeat Diddy Kong (green outfit) at Wuhu Island, Omega form. The enemy is armed with a Blaster. The enemy never uses shield.

HUNTER:
Class: Ace Support Spirit
Ability: Undamaged Speed Up
Spirit Challenge: Defeat Young Link (yellow skin) at Green Greens. The enemy is equipped with a Tanuki leaf. The enemy loves to use special moves and taunt.

NESTOR (Spyro series)
Class: Legend Support Spirit
Ability: Item Power Up
Spirit Challenge: Defeat Charizard at Great Plateau Tower. The enemy is armed with a Golden Hammer.

BIANCA
Class: Advanced Support Spirit:
Ability: Safer Dodges
Spirit Challenge: Defeat Zelda at Dracula's Castle. The enemy is equipped with a Bunny Hood. The enemy likes to use Up Special.

RIPTO
Class: Legend Attack Spirit
Core Type: Attack
Spirit Challenge: Defeat Lucario (purple skin) at Norfair, Omega Form. The enemy is protected by Ridley (blue skin) who uses an Ore Club, and Bowser (green skin) who uses a Super Scope.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
A while back, I posted an idea for Spyro's potential Classic Mode campaign, themed around dragons. It turns out that Marth's campaign is already dragon-based, so here's a couple of different ideas for Spyro's Campaign.

"Learn To Fly. Got It."
In this campaign, Spyro will go up against fighters who excel in the skies.

Round 1: Free-for-all: Fox, Wolf and Ridley on Lylat Cruise
Round 2: Diddy Kong on Kongo Jungle

After winning Round 2, Spyro's midair jump count is increased to 2. Diddy Kong will be Spyro's teammate for the next two rounds.

Round 3: Giant Bowser Jr on Mushroom Kingdom U
Round 4: Pit and Palutena on Skyworld

After winning Round 4, Spyro's midair jump count is increased to 3. Pit will be Spyro's teammate for the next two rounds.

Round 5: 8-count Jigglypuff Horde on Pokémon Stadium 2
Round 6: Meta Knight and Kirby on Halberd

After winning Round 6, Spyro's midair jump count is increased to 4. Kirby will be Spyro's teammate in the final battle.

Boss Battle: Master Hand and Crazy Hand

"Attitude Problem"
In this campaign, Spyro will face off against Smash Bros' most arrogant, smart-aleck wise-crackers.

Round 1: Ken on Suzaku Castle
Round 2: Falco on Corneria
Round 3: Dark Pit on Reset Bomb Forest
Round 4: Horde Battle: Bowser Jr, Roy, Iggy, Ludwig and Larry on Paper Mario
Round 5: Incineroar on Spear Pillar
Round 6: Sonic on Windy Hill Zone
Boss Battle: M***

"Looks Like I've Got Some Things To Do!"
In this campaign, Spyro will go through a series of battles resembling the boss encounters of Spyro 1.

Round 1: Horde Battle: 4 Green Yoshi's and 2 Jokers on Spyro's home stage, representing the start of Spyro's adventure.
Round 2: Incineroar (purple skin) and Tiny Isabelle on Suzaku Castle, representing Toasty
Round 3: King K. Rool (yellow skin) on Gerudo Valley, representing Doctor Shemp
Round 4: Robin (Male, green skin) on Paper Mario, representing Blowhard
Round 5: Metal Donkey Kong on Frigate Orpheon, representing Metalhead
Round 6: Giant Piranha Plant on Streetpass Quest / Find Mii, representing Jacques
Final Battle: Boss Battle: G****, representing Gnasty Gnorc

"The Bigger They Are..."
In this campaign, Spyro goes up against the largest fighters in the roster.

Round 1: Team Battle: Spyro, Kirby and Meta Knight vs Giant King Dedede on Dream Land
Round 2: Team Battle: Spyro, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong vs Giant King K Rool on Kongo Jungle 64
Round 3: Team Battle: Spyro and Link vs Giant Ganondorf on Bridge of Eldin
Round 4: Team Horde Battle: Spyro and Zero Suit Samus vs 8x Giant Ridley on Norfair
Round 5: Team Boss Battle: Spyro, Mario and Luigi vs Giga Bowser on New Donk City (Omega Form)
Round 6: Team Boss Battle: Spyro and Snake vs G******
Final Round: Team Stamina battle: Spyro vs Tiny Metal Olimar and Tiny Metal Alph on Garden of Hope (Omega form). No items. Olimar and Alph have 200 HP each.

MagnoliaMidna

Smash Rookie
Yes, definitely support!! I think he's a better character than Crash Bandicoot, and he has so many moves to pull from his games for a moveset in Smash Bros!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I just bought a PS4 and have got Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far and Spyro Reignited Trilogy. While I'm addicted to Kingdom Hearts right now, I think Spyro has much better chances than anyone from Disney (a movie studio) and Square Enix (the guys who were strict with Cloud). Spyro can have the same flame breath that Bowser, Charizard and Ridley has. His side B can be his charge attack.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just bought a PS4 and have got Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far and Spyro Reignited Trilogy. While I'm addicted to Kingdom Hearts right now, I think Spyro has much better chances than anyone from Disney (a movie studio) and Square Enix (the guys who were strict with Cloud). Spyro can have the same flame breath that Bowser, Charizard and Ridley has. His side B can be his charge attack.
Yeah, the only problem is the relative lack of public knowledge of him in Japan, but that might get finally fixed if Reignited does spread to their consoles over there.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Or his appearance in Smash could boost his popularity in Japan like how Marth and Roy gave us Fire Emblem in the west.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Or his appearance in Smash could boost his popularity in Japan like how Marth and Roy gave us Fire Emblem in the west.
Yeah, although since the "Japan-only characters can't get in until further notice, sorry" issue exists at the moment, I'm concerned that the reverse is true. The question is if Sak would be willing to make such a gamble with Spyro.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yeah, although since the "Japan-only characters can't get in until further notice, sorry" issue exists at the moment, I'm concerned that the reverse is true. The question is if Sak would be willing to make such a gamble with Spyro.
Japan-only characters can't get in? What about Lucas? Mother 3 still hasn't been released internationally has it? And what about those Japanese speaking Assist Trophies like Takamaru and Sablé Prince? They speak Japanese because their games hadn't been released internationally, right? I'm guessing that rule only applies to newcomer fighters for Ultimate?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Japan-only characters can't get in? What about Lucas? Mother 3 still hasn't been released internationally has it? And what about those Japanese speaking Assist Trophies like Takamaru and Sablé Prince? They speak Japanese because their games hadn't been released internationally, right? I'm guessing that rule only applies to newcomer fighters for Ultimate?
Lucas probably wouldn't have been in Brawl if they knew that plans to export Mother 3 never happened.

I guess so, at least as far as 4 and Ultimate are concerned. Takamaru's game export came too little too late by the time planning for Ultimate occurred (although in his case it's the lack of sequels that gets in his way, but that's neither here nor there).

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Marth and Roy got into Melee while Fire Emblem was still Japan-exclusive. But I guess that's why they were planned to be Japan-exclusive characters before Nintendo of America took an interest in them.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, CTR Remake is coming. I would bet a silver dollar for Spyro to make a guest appearance.

With Spyro Switch being one of the worst kept secrets in gaming, things look ok. I would say we do have to consider Crash as coming first. He is a bigger deal in japan and he is the one more people are thinking of. I see Crash as our foot in the door so to speak. For us to get in wave 2, we need crash first.

Also, I have heard that Spyro RT is getting a patch. Hopefully Lost Fleet is fixed that level runs like crap.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I support, I think he could be fun, interesting and unique character.

I feel he deserves more supporters tbh ;)

Top Bottom