• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's toast those Smashers! ~ Spyro Reignites Super Smash Brothers

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
https://community.activision.com/t5...trikes-Back-for-3DS-and-2DS/m-p/10806466#M623
I'm hoping Spyro: Reignited, can have the first game on the New 3DS, while Crash can have the second and third on the 3DS. Also Crash CTR as a $15 download only title for 3DS, am I right? The Physical copy would be $20 and include any required updates and DLC since launch. Up to 6 racers, the console remaster would be PS4 and Xbox exclusive, so as not to compete with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
A Spyro remake was actually the first thing I wanted to see back when the 3DS was first revealed. But if they're having trouble porting Spyro RT to the Switch, I can't say I expect to see it on an even wimpier hand-held.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
A Spyro remake was actually the first thing I wanted to see back when the 3DS was first revealed. But if they're having trouble porting Spyro RT to the Switch, I can't say I expect to see it on an even wimpier hand-held.
They're not having trouble porting it to the Nintendo Switch, they just wanted to make sure the game had all the content including DLC at launch. They are having trouble designing it multiplatform for Xbox One and PS4 though. Also, I think Toys for Bob may be planning on adding Amiibo features, or HD rumble, which takes longer to develop than regular rumble features.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If both Spyro and Crash make it into Smash, I would be really happy. Playstation All-Stars would have done better if they showed up there, but they missed their chance and there doesn't seem like a there'd be a Playstation All-Stars 2. But at least they can be in Smash someday.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I have a feeling that PlayStation AllStars wouldn't let any third-party characters in unless they agreed to never join Super Smash Bros. That's probably the reason why Snake wasn't in AllStars and Tekken wasn't in Smash 4.

I bet Square and Activision probably looked at AllStars and then looked at the exclusivity clause and basically went "Screw that, we're better than this."

Nikster31

Smash Rookie
I bet Square and Activision probably looked at AllStars and then looked at the exclusivity clause and basically went "Screw that, we're better than this."
There was a Heihachi mii fighter costume, and Raiden (from the Metal Gear series) made it to AllStars.

Last edited:

Nikster31

Smash Rookie
Spyro has always had an incredibly major impact on my life and childhood. It would be an understatement to say I cannot contain my excitement for the upcoming Reignited Trilogy. Seeing the purple dragon back in action certainly makes my heart fly with pride, and seeing him in Ultimate would make it an even bigger ride than anticipated.

Definitely 100% count me in.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Someone posted a thread about Echo Fighters for potential newcomers, and that got me thinking about the concept of Cynder as an Echo Fighter. So if you don't mind, I'm going to talk about this topic in depth.

Teen_Cynder.jpg

70ε: CYNDER
Cynder the Dragon made her debut in The Legend of Spyro trilogy, a hard reboot in which Spyro embarks on a quest to discover who he is and fulfil his destiny by mastering the four elements and defeating the Dark Master Malefor.

Kidnapped as an egg and corrupted by darkness, Cynder served as the leader of the Dark Master's army, and plotted to free him from his imprisonment within another dimension. Upon her defeat at the hands of Spyro, she was released from the Dark Master's control and trained alongside Spyro to fight against her former master.

Despite the low sales of the Legend trilogy, Cynder became an extremely popular character in the Spyro fandom as a whole. Fans headcanoned her into the classic Spyro continuity, Skylanders featured her as a playable character, and some fans have even expressed hope that the upcoming Spyro Reignited Trilogy will feature her in some way.

Cynder's first playable appearance was in The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, the third and final game in the Legend trilogy. This game introduced co-operative play, with P1 controlling Spyro and P2 controlling Cynder. Both players used the same physical attacks in combat. However, owing to their vastly different upbringing, they each used a different set of four magic attack styles.

As a widely popular character representing a unique take on the Spyro universe in which she controls almost identically to Spyro, Cynder is an obvious pick for Spyro's Echo Fighter in Smash Bros.

This hypothetical moveset is based on the moveset for Spyro in the OP.

Cynder's Jab, Down Tilt and Up tilt are identical to Spyro's.
Her forward tilt is brand new, since Cynder doesn't have Sparx. Cynder will flick her horns upwards. This move serves as an aerial combo starter, so it only does 4.5%.
Her dash attack is Shadow Fire. This attack does 11% damage and has more endlag.
Her Up Smash is Siren Scream. Cynder unleashes a piercing screech, represented by red circular shockwaves. This attack has a paralysing effect, which can lead to combos, but it only does 9% to 15% damage.
Her Forward Smash is Cyclone. Cynder unleashes a powerful gust of Wind Breath. The hitbox is smaller and the damage is 12% to 18%, but this move has a windbox three times as large as the hitbox!
Her Down Smash is Scorpion Strike. Cynder spins in place and attacks with poison. This attack does only 8% to 13% damage, but it covers both sides simultaneously and inflicts flower damage on opponents.

Cynder's aerial attacks are mostly similar to Spyro's. They're a bit slower and a bit stronger, but they have a bit more hitstun so that they're just as effective at combos. Her forward aerial, Shadow Fire, is accompanied by a wing flap that knocks opponents downward at an angle, but it also has a lot more endlag.

Cynder's Neutral Special is Venom. She produces an orb of poison, similar in size to the Superflame. It's slower and it is affected by gravity, but can inflict flower damage of up to 20% over time.
Her Side Special is Shadow Strike. She disappears into shadow and charges forward. This move only has a hitbox when Cynder stops charging, whereupon she will strike from the shadows to deal 13% damage.
Her Up Special is Twister. Cynder flies straight up, surrounded by Wind magic. This attack damages and pushes away anyone who comes into contact with it, but Cynder enters freefall immediately after using this move.
Cynder's Down Special is identical to Spyro's.

Cynder grabs enemies by biting into them. Her pummel involves swinging the grabbed enemy back and forth. Her throws are identical to Spyro's.

Cynder's Final Smash is Aether Fury. Cynder steps back and unleashes a blast of Aether energy, which behaves like a cross between Mario Finale and Dark Pit's staff. The beam of Aether is five Cynders long and as wide as a Zero Laser. Being hit by the beam right as it comes out is like being hit with a KO Punch, otherwise the tendrils of Aether Energy will behave like a relatively long-lasting Mario Finale.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Okay everyone, I think we should all focus on pledging our support towards Crash Bandicoot for now.

Crash and Spyro are both owned by the same company, and Crash is simply more popular in the parts of the world that matter. There is literally zero chance of Spyro joining Smash before Crash, and I don't say that lightly. If we truly want Spyro to be a part of this game, we need to voice our support for Crash so that he can open the door for him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay everyone, I think we should all focus on pledging our support towards Crash Bandicoot for now.

Crash and Spyro are both owned by the same company, and Crash is simply more popular in the parts of the world that matter. There is literally zero chance of Spyro joining Smash before Crash, and I don't say that lightly. If we truly want Spyro to be a part of this game, we need to voice our support for Crash so that he can open the door for him.
Yeah, as much as I support both of them, thing is Spyro didn't have much of an impact in Japan, unlike Crash. Crash has to be the proverbial trojan horse that can allow Spyro to get enough support for a Smash appearance someday.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord

Nah, we should keep supporting Spyro. Whether Crash makes it in or not should not matter. Spyro was in Skylanders for a while, while Crash only got in Imaginators. Super Smash Bros had some unexpected guests and a lot of popular characters get left out. Spyro could still make it into Smash Bros before Crash if Activision and Nintendo agree on that. If we are going to close support for one character for another, that just makes a rivalry between Crash fans and Spyro fans. I am more of a Crash fan myself and I still want to keep my support for Spyro even if Crash doesn't make it in.

D

Deleted member

I don't necessarily agree with this. I do support Crash btw, but Spyro is iconic enough to pull his own weight.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Just replayed Spyro 1 after nearly 20 years. What a glorious game. I love its unique mystical atmosphere. You can make a cutting-edge, open world game with brilliant game design, but you can't replicate that atmosphere. Truly one of a kind.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Add me to the support list. I am SO down for this legend to be a smash character. From playing most of the original Spyro the Dragon games, including the Legend of Spyro trilogy games, I'm pretty confident in a move-set idea and the direction it could go, but not at the moment.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Add me to the support list. I am SO down for this legend to be a smash character. From playing most of the original Spyro the Dragon games, including the Legend of Spyro trilogy games, I'm pretty confident in a move-set idea and the direction it could go, but not at the moment.
I agree Spyro should have his ether attack from Legend of Spyro as his FS, but I'm hoping for more for some flame and elemental breaths as his primary attacks, with Sparx the dragonfly joining in Spyro's Attacks. Spyro would have Flame, Charge, Upward Flight, and Sparx as his four special moves with Spyro having a gliding ability similar to Princess Peach. Spyro would have two other elemental breaths in some of his midair attacks, and a headbutt as his down midair. And a tail swoop as his down smash and normal down attack. A headbutt would be used as his dash attack.

Granted I think Legend of Spyro would have made a better movie than it did a game.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I want the Reignited Trilogy on the Switch so badly.

I wonder what's taking them that long to announce it.

Last edited:

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
I want the Reignited Trilogy on the Switch so badly.

I wonder what's taking them that long to announce it.
Toys for Bob has to patch all the glitches first, think of the PS4 and XBOne versions as a Beta Test Unit or is that Gamm'a Testing?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like with Crash, I think Spyro's chances are given more credit than a sudden Switch port really warrants. Spyro's chances are even lower honestly since he hasn't actually had a Switch version of Reignited announced yet. Plus, as both a Smash character request and just, well, overall, Spyro isn't as popular as Crash.

Tis a shame to admit really. Because I support Spyro and think he'd be a fun addition to Smash.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Considering Isabelle's reveal was followed by an animal crossing game reveal, this kinds of gives me hope that they might follow this pattern and reveal Crash and Spyro later as DLC along with the Reignited Trilogy Switch version and maybe a 2019 Crash game. A man can dream.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Considering Isabelle's reveal was followed by an animal crossing game reveal, this kinds of gives me hope that they might follow this pattern and reveal Crash and Spyro later as DLC along with the Reignited Trilogy Switch version and maybe a 2019 Crash game. A man can dream.
Dreaming or not I like the way you think.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Just wait it out. We knew he wouldn't be a starting roster option. Just gotta keep Spyro in the spotlight and make noise for DLC plans.

Game Boy Blue

Smash Cadet
This is a moveset I feel passionate about. May aswell share it here.

My moveset for Spyro
Spyro is all about the unique interactions with enemies. The most fundamental aspect is if an enemy is small or large, and has metal protecting them from fire.

Fire Breath: Unlike Charizard and Bowser, this is a single-hit attack that sends damaged opponents upward. This move is almost equally effective on heavy foes.

Charge Attack: Similar to Bowser Jr, this move gives forward knockback. However heavy foes will receive very little.

Glide: Unlike the Brawl version, there is no stearing, except perhaps slowing down at the expense of distance.

Headbash: A ground-pounding move that is effective against shields. Where as with Flame Breath shields glow red and take no damage.

Spyro is accompanied by Sparx. In a stock match Sparx will indicate Spyro's remain lives:
0 - gone
1 - green
2 - blue
3+ gold
Sparx isn't done there. He will also help you collect Coins and Collectibles lying on the ground just by being near them.

Spyro has a few good things going for him.
•Iconic of the PlayStation 1, in the way Sonic is of Sega, or Ryu is of Fighting Games.
•Coming to Switch (not official, but you could preorder it on the UK Spyro website)
•Several Handheld games on Game Boy Advance and one on DS. There were a few on GameCube.
•Bowser and DK are Skylanders, and Spyro is the main character on the Netflix show.

Overall I see a lot of potential as a DLC character if Spyro on Switch goes well and generates excitement.

I don't think the Crash apologetic attitude of many Spyro supporters is appropriate and is condescending to Spyro. The Reignited Trilogy surpassed the total number of Twitter followers of Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy within days, which had been out a year and was announced for more consoles. The facts are Spyro is bigger than Crash.

Last edited:

Game Boy Blue

Smash Cadet
Taunt 1 - Spyro stands up on his back legs and declares the enemy to be "toast"
Taunt 2 - Spyro licks his paw while stroking his frills back
Taunt 3 - Sparx starts buzzing around Spyro, and he smiles and shakes his head

On Screen Appearance - Spyro flies in from the top and quickly springs into a battle pose

Victory 1 - Spyro headbutts a sheep and shakes off the impact while Sparx chases the resulting butterfly
Victory 2 - Spyro rides in on his skateboard and wipes out, but lands on all four feet and acts like he meant to do that
Victory 3 - Sparx grabs a purple gem for Spyro, who inspects the clarity with awe while lounging on a deckchair

Idle poses: Sparx flutters around Spyro, while Spyro looks around. Sometimes, he looks directly at the player.
Nice.

A meme I made the other day for another forum.

https://i.imgtc.com/WmPnvRQ.png

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Alright, the real DLC campaign starts now...though it's hard with still no official announcement of a Reignited port to Switch...

I mean STILL. Surely Activision can't be so worried about its potential failure with all this attention that they're not pushing for wider audience.

In other news Shiela looks like crap and that disappoints me...why does she suddenly need bright red hair and a cargo top that works like a damn corset??

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Regardless can't wait till Spyro Reignited Trilogy going to be great.

Game looks amazing no doubt.

Don't know about DLC but hey who knows.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Yeah, DLC chances seem much lower considering it seems they were chosen very early. Also with the way the DLC is currently structured I'm not sure how likely double reveals are to tie in with each other.

That said a potential second round of DLC would be promising for both Crash and Spyro.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yeah, DLC chances seem much lower considering it seems they were chosen very early. Also with the way the DLC is currently structured I'm not sure how likely double reveals are to tie in with each other.

That said a potential second round of DLC would be promising for both Crash and Spyro.
Well, maybe they could be in separate packs in the fighter pass with Crash released first and a couple months later we get Spyro?

Game Boy Blue

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
Crash isn't the one with his own 3 season TV show on Netflix. Spyro is more relavent today. The Spyro Twitter had more followers than Crash got within a year, in days. Spyro would be more recognizable worldwide, and have more of an impact. This was the kid friendly mascot Sony got to compete with Nintendo, it is why Spyro exists(Insomniac made mature games that didn't sell well, and we're propositioned to go in this direction).

Spyro is the reason we have beautiful far reaching backrounds. He's a ****ing classic, icon, milestone in gaming.

**** off about Crash already. Spyro can stand on his own 4 feet. No gloved hand-holding needing. Respect.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
On a different topic. WORLD OF LIGHT RIPS THE STORY OF SPYRO THE DRAGON!

Everyone is gathered and talking about the big bad and boasting.

Suddenly EVERYONE is turned into a statue, except a small fry gets away. Sound familiar.

Kirby looks to the horizon. "Looks like I've got some things to do..."

THE ADVENTURE BEGINS...

Crash isn't the one with his own 3 season TV show on Netflix. Spyro is more relavent today. The Spyro Twitter had more followers than Crash got within a year, in days. Spyro would be more recognizable worldwide, and have more of an impact. This was the kid friendly mascot Sony got to compete with Nintendo, it is why Spyro exists(Insomniac made mature games that didn't sell well, and we're propositioned to go in this direction).

Spyro is the reason we have beautiful far reaching backrounds. He's a ****ing classic, icon, milestone in gaming.

**** off about Crash already. Spyro can stand on his own 4 feet. No gloved hand-holding needing. Respect.
Well, I definitely appreciate your enthusiasm, but at the end of the day the domestic market has more sway when it comes to who joins the fight. I could talk to a thousand random Japanese citizens, and I doubt any of them would share your sentiment. On the other hand, I bet a few of them will say that they enjoyed playing Crash back in the day.

And while it's true that a purple dragon called Spyro stars in a TV series with a full Japanese translation, is that really the version of Spyro you'd prefer to have in Smash Bros?

I'm not saying that Spyro wouldn't be a good fit for Ultimate DLC, and I will campaign for his inclusion until it happens. However, with only five characters left to reveal, I think it would be wise not to expect him, especially if you don't expect Crash.

Game Boy Blue

Smash Cadet
On a different topic. WORLD OF LIGHT RIPS THE STORY OF SPYRO THE DRAGON!

Everyone is gathered and talking about the big bad and boasting.

Suddenly EVERYONE is turned into a statue, except a small fry gets away. Sound familiar.

Kirby looks to the horizon. "Looks like I've got some things to do..."

THE ADVENTURE BEGINS...

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly I could see us getting in with a season 2 which I am confident in. Nintendo knows that the DLC will sell, and I am confident in Crash for Wave 1.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Spyro is absolutely just as big if not bigger than Crash on a global scale, BUT, it flopped/was mishandled in Japan and Crash made his resurgence first (and IMO stayed relevant longer, Slylanders is its own separate property that merely co-opted Spyro's name for the very start).

That's the only reason people bring up Crash, Crash fits the timeline better (for DLC at least) and fits the developers local bias better.

Top Bottom