• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's toast those Smashers! ~ Spyro Reignites Super Smash Brothers

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I do really hope that Activision see this as a chance to revitalise the series with new games and not just opportunities for a quick buck from nostalgia. Look at Yooka-Laylee, A Hat In Time, and ****in Odyssey, people do want this 3D platforming, they want the collectathon.
True. I feel that given how many preorders are out already this game will sell so well. Especially on PS4 and Switch.

D

Deleted member

Since I made a Spyro inspired palette swap for Crash, I also made a Crash inspired palette swap for Spyro just for fun.
Spyro Crash alt.png

I don't support Spyro for Smash yet due to a lack of personal attachment, but if the trilogy ever hits the Switch I'll be sure to grab it.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Since I made a Spyro inspired palette swap for Crash, I also made a Crash inspired palette swap for Spyro just for fun.
View attachment 140835
I don't support Spyro for Smash yet due to a lack of personal attachment, but if the trilogy ever hits the Switch I'll be sure to grab it.
I think the blue from Crash's shorts makes more sense for the underside scales at least, if not the horns and spine too.

D

Deleted member

I think the blue from Crash's shorts makes more sense for the underside scales at least, if not the horns and spine too.
Is this better?
Spyro Crash alt 2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Consider me a supporter! Holy crap I want to play that remaster. That really got me excited for the possibility of this beloved and iconic character finally getting into the Smash hall of fame. It better come to Switch... I never owned a PlayStation 1, so my experience with characters like Spyro and Crash were very brief when I would play over at a friends houses. This is my chance to finally FULLY experience such classic games. Honestly I feel like Crash is more likely, but it honestly wouldn't feel complete until we had the little purple dragon.

EDIT:

Well look at that... this was badass! What a perfect time to release it too.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Consider me a supporter! Holy crap I want to play that remaster. That really got me excited for the possibility of this beloved and iconic character finally getting into the Smash hall of fame. It better come to Switch... I never owned a PlayStation 1, so my experience with characters like Spyro and Crash were very brief when I would play over at a friends houses. This is my chance to finally FULLY experience such classic games. Honestly I feel like Crash is more likely, but it honestly wouldn't feel complete until we had the little purple dragon.

EDIT:

Well look at that... this was badass! What a perfect time to release it too.

That was a good one, the animation was sick.

Also it appears they went with a composite Spyro in the end while focusing on Legends as his character felt closest to classic Spyro.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
They said it was close but let's be honest: It isn't. They didn't bring up the planet feat and called Crash stronger for some reason. Maybe physically? But his magical prowess was shown to be in the planetary range twice in those clips.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I just seen it. The animation WAS subpar. I never knew how powerful these characters were since I drifted from both series at the peak of them.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Assuming that Spyro joins the Smash roster, who are you most excited to see him fight?

Personally, I'm keen to see him go up against Sonic. I just feel like that crossover's a no brainer.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Assuming that Spyro joins the Smash roster, who are you most excited to see him fight?

Personally, I'm keen to see him go up against Sonic. I just feel like that crossover's a no brainer.
Meta Knight, Charizard, Kirby and Bowser. I feel like Spyro is more exciting fighting characters with similar aspects that link.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I feel that it would be so much fun to have Crash vs Snake vs Spyro vs Cloud because it would be a PS1 battle.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

Sonic is a good one, since the Spyro supercharge areas did 3D Sonic better than most official Sonic games did :p .

Other than that? This'll sound weird but probably Dedede. With his classic belly slap and larger physique he reminds me a lot of the 'fire only' enemies, the ones too big or fat to beat by charging them.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

Roy (his sword has dragon-slaying properties), Charizard, and Corrin. Dragons and dragon slayers would make for fun matchups for me.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The Spyro Twitter has more followers than the Crash one, the hype is real.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The Spyro Twitter has more followers than the Crash one, the hype is real.
Its hitting people that Spyro levels has more exploration and the first and third of the original trilogy has more iconic enemies. Even Hunter, Agent 9, etc are iconic when you think about it.

Haxan

Smash Rookie
How well-known is Spyro in Japan? That may be a factor, but I support this easily.

SonicMario

Smash Master
How well-known is Spyro in Japan? That may be a factor, but I support this easily.
Unfortunately for Spyro. While the classic games did get released there, the first two games were botched in their ports to Japanese Playstations somehow. So to most Japanese fans, Spyro might not be anymore significant then your average 3D Platformer at the time. Meanwhile Crash did find a following and even gets redesigned specifically in an even more cartoony artstyle in artwork for Japanese releases (Even for the N. Sane Trilogy).

So Spyro's screwed if Japanese popularity is at all a huge factor.

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately for Spyro. While the classic games did get released there, the first two games were botched in their ports to Japanese Playstations somehow. So to most Japanese fans, Spyro might not be anymore significant then your average 3D Platformer at the time. Meanwhile Crash did find a following and even gets redesigned specifically in an even more cartoony artstyle in artwork for Japanese releases (Even for the N. Sane Trilogy).

So Spyro's screwed if Japanese popularity is at all a huge factor.
And as a result of that, Spyro's presence in Japan has been very limited since then. Aside from the first two games on PS1, they only localized two of the GBA games and the first Skylanders game.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
And as a result of that, Spyro's presence in Japan has been very limited since then. Aside from the first two games on PS1, they only localized two of the GBA games and the first Skylanders game.

Hopefully his international popularity and the reignited trilogy will bring him to the forefront in Japan.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Hopefully his international popularity and the reignited trilogy will bring him to the forefront in Japan.
I would like that, but as of right now there is no Japanese trailer for the game. There's a Russian trailer and even an Arabic trailer, but nothing for the Asian market at all.

The best case scenario is that the Japanese localisation is being kept under wraps until footage from Year of the Dragon is available, so that they can advertise the "lost" Spyro sequel included in the collection. But Year of the Dragon's 18-years-overdue translation would inevitably sound and feel uncomfortably different to the translations of the first two games. Activision would be justified in not translating Spyro into Japanese, given that Spyro's middling fanbase in the country would probably just import the English version if they wanted it so bad.

D

Deleted member

I adore this series classic above all else, along with Legends I will see everything walkthrough's videos ECT about him, love the old and new designs The Spyro Reignited Trilogy will be one of my favourite games. Add me to the supporters Spyro the Dragon is one of my favorite characters, and I would love if he joins Smash. Also getting the trilogy if it comes to Switch.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
What do you guys want as a preorder bonus? I would be content with some socks or a keychain tbh.

D

Deleted member

Maybe a plush doll of him, or maybe some artwork anything would be fine to me.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So now this thread is under my ownership, looking forward to leading into the rest of Smash speculation.

Also I got a new profile pic to show off my love of Spyro from the Spyro Reddit.

"Fun isn't something one considers when balancing Avalar, but this... does put a smile on my face."

NIckynickreviews

Smash Cadet
So, what are you guys thinking of a certain little "leak" that's been going around that says we're gonna get an info dump about Nintendo's online services next Monday, and that Captain Toad, Crash and Spyro are gonna be our e3 newcomers?

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
So, what are you guys thinking of a certain little "leak" that's been going around that says we're gonna get an info dump about Nintendo's online services next Monday, and that Captain Toad, Crash and Spyro are gonna be our e3 newcomers?
Source?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I would love to believe that but any leak from 4chan i will take with a single grain of salt.

Even if it would make me cream...

Last edited:

NIckynickreviews

Smash Cadet
Honestly, the smash stuff is the least crazy/coolest thing on that leak. Playable Waluigi in Odyssey and CoD battle royal on switch is what kills it the most

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly, the smash stuff is the least crazy/coolest thing on that leak. Playable Waluigi in Odyssey and CoD battle royal on switch is what kills it the most

Honestly I could buy the CoD thing, Waluigi in Oddyssey and FNAF coming to switch are what make me hesitant.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
FNAF isn't exactly unbelievable, though I don't know how much effort they'd bother to put in all these years later. CoD BR on Switch is easily believable given PUBG and Fornite have freakin mobile phone ports.

But playable Walguigi? At best I can see him being 'possessable' but what would he offer? The only other case of it is Yoshi and even then they're not as individual as Waluigi.

As for the Smash 'leak', the two of them making it into the base roster is pushing it already, but being revealed this early? No way.

Last edited:

NIckynickreviews

Smash Cadet
My issue with the CoD battle Royale thing is, this battle Royale trnlend started pretty recently, they already have something made to capitalize on it. It just doesn't seem right. And yeah, playable Waluigi is very suspect. I think Spyro has a chance to get is smash, but not like this.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
My issue with the CoD battle Royale thing is, this battle Royale trnlend started pretty recently, they already have something made to capitalize on it. It just doesn't seem right. And yeah, playable Waluigi is very suspect. I think Spyro has a chance to get is smash, but not like this.
I agree with this. Spyro has a chance to get in Smash completely out of his own merits. No way through aid. I believe that Sakurai would see Spyro more interesting as a character than what we're ultimately expecting.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
My issue with the CoD battle Royale thing is, this battle Royale trnlend started pretty recently, they already have something made to capitalize on it. It just doesn't seem right.
To continue to entirely derail this thread: Battle Royale has actually been around for a long while, but nevertheless Fortnite hopped on the scene pretty quickly after PUBG, to be honest once you have a preexisting shooter framework it's not hard to create a large map that closes in and semi-random gun spawns. The trick is refining the balance and keeping the tension feeling fun.

But back on topic, I firmly believe that Crash and especially Spyro thereafter are simply too late in the timeline to be anywhere near base roster, especially without Sakurai using insider info to push the character and promote a Nintendo game. Even if they were already being worked on there's no way they'd be a big enough priority to be polished for a demo release so early in the launch cycle.

Spyro getting in relies entirely on Crash because Spyro doesn't have the reach to Japan, and with the Crash Switch release still not out and no Switch announcement for Spyro I have no hope for anything other than DLC, in particular boosted by Ballot 2.0 or something

NIckynickreviews

Smash Cadet
To continue to entirely derail this thread: Battle Royale has actually been around for a long while, but nevertheless Fortnite hopped on the scene pretty quickly after PUBG, to be honest once you have a preexisting shooter framework it's not hard to create a large map that closes in and semi-random gun spawns. The trick is refining the balance and keeping the tension feeling fun.

But back on topic, I firmly believe that Crash and especially Spyro thereafter are simply too late in the timeline to be anywhere near base roster, especially without Sakurai using insider info to push the character and promote a Nintendo game. Even if they were already being worked on there's no way they'd be a big enough priority to be polished for a demo release so early in the launch cycle.

Spyro getting in relies entirely on Crash because Spyro doesn't have the reach to Japan, and with the Crash Switch release still not out and no Switch announcement for Spyro I have no hope for anything other than DLC, in particular boosted by Ballot 2.0 or something
I agree, though I'd say Crash has a slightly higher chance of being in the base roster than Sypro

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'll still miss those skyboxes, was kinda hoping things would remain 'aurora'-y with those mixed colours..

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Most of the skyboxes so far look nice imo. I like how this new skybox gives the level more flavor. I just want to see the skybox for Hurricos. That will be something sexy.

UserKev

Smash Champion
While the hype is real, I feel like we need a game with adult Spyro eventually. There isn't really a game that lets you play as an adult dragon as the main character and Spyro would be the perfect contender.
I agree, though I'd say Crash has a slightly higher chance of being in the base roster than Sypro
That typo suddenly looks cooler than Spyro. Haha

Top Bottom