• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's toast those Smashers! ~ Spyro Reignites Super Smash Brothers

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
So Spyro might get announced tomorrow given all the retailer leaks...
I haven't seen any but I'll take your word for it, and warning you've now hyped me to hell so this is now personally your fault if I'm dissappointed. I hope you're ready for that responsibility. :p

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Something I've always wondered (for obvious reasons) is what design the majority of Spyro fans seem to prefer. I've never played a Spyro game myself, but I'm fond of his character design. Of course, it would seem that most longtime fans dislike (or outright despise) Spyro's redesign from Activision's Skylanders series, but I know his design began to shift gradually before that as well, leaning more into realism as time went on. Where do Spyro fans like to draw the line?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Something I've always wondered (for obvious reasons) is what design the majority of Spyro fans seem to prefer. I've never played a Spyro game myself, but I'm fond of his character design. Of course, it would seem that most longtime fans dislike (or outright despise) Spyro's redesign from Activision's Skylanders series, but I know his design began to shift gradually before that as well, leaning more into realism as time went on. Where do Spyro fans like to draw the line?
I think Hero's Tail was the first one that felt off to me (I didn't mind Enter the Dragonfly), but that was also a pretty major step rather than the gradual you're talking about. It was mostly the eyes/brows and 'mohawk' spine that did it.

• The eye's became a bit too 'bright eyed', I think they incresed the size of his iris/pupil in relation to the eye but I'm not sure, it's definitely much lighter.
  • The brows becoming more rounded that makes it weirder, he always had angled brows (for polycount obviously), but it's part of what made him feel like he was a smartass kid.
  • I think it's also the first one that has the Mohawk/Spine actually 3D, which makes it much (one might say infinitely) wider, especially in compatison to the horns, in fact it pushes the hornes wider apart.
  • The nostrils are weirdly pushed back further up his snout which makes it look like he's wearing those cartoon old man specs.
  • I think it's also the first one that really flattens out his snout, up until then it's more triangular and elongated.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I feel that personally the best place to draw Spyro's design from is the classic trilogy. I feel that the Classic design is generally agreed on, but there are some elements of each design I personally enjoy. For example, I think for color Spyro in YotD art fits the best.

Something in between these two for color I think is a good basis.

For body parts i think it varies. I think the best size for the wings is the second picture, as I feel having wings that are big but not too big fits for Spyro imo. Tail should be something like those two as well.

I feel these designs are a good basis point as they have the best overall reptilian proportions. Spyro looks like a dog in Heros Tail.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly, Its tough imagining Spyro in modern 3D. I hope they can pull it off. It'd be sad to see confirmation that some video game legends are unable to go beyond the formats of their day.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Honestly, Its tough imagining Spyro in modern 3D. I hope they can pull it off. It'd be sad to see confirmation that some video game legends are unable to go beyond the formats of their day.
I don't know how you're coming to that conclusion. Aside from wonky camera controls that spawned from the lack of thumbsticks there's nothing that hasn't aged well about Spyro's old games, they're actually incredibly easy to go back and play. Maybe it's hard to do minor movements here and there but that's also far from unfixable and more again was hardware limitation based.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I don't know how you're coming to that conclusion. Aside from wonky camera controls that spawned from the lack of thumbsticks there's nothing that hasn't aged well about Spyro's old games, they're actually incredibly easy to go back and play. Maybe it's hard to do minor movements here and there but that's also far from unfixable and more again was hardware limitation based.
I don't remember quoting that the Spyro original trilogy didn't age well. Just, I don't see his model from the original trilogy being topped.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I don't remember quoting that the Spyro original trilogy didn't age well. Just, I don't see his model from the original trilogy being topped.
Sorry, it was ambiguous, I assumed when you said Spyro you were referring to the games since you were quoting the remaster rumour, but I can see how it could go both ways.

Yeah, I think he can be done, it's not hard to make the original design less angular and still good, its just that they've moved progressively further from his original design, making him more and more flat faced as the series moved on.

His original 3D renders for the box art aren't actually that bad. They may not be realistic but they're easily updatable.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I haven't seen any but I'll take your word for it, and warning you've now hyped me to hell so this is now personally your fault if I'm dissappointed. I hope you're ready for that responsibility. :p
I have a long weekend for Easter which means you have until the end of Tuesday to avoid my wrath. Be warned that some things are too cruel to fall within the breadth of April Fools. :mad::demon::crazy::upsidedown::roll::upsidedown::crazy::demon::mad:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I have a long weekend for Easter which means you have until the end of Tuesday to avoid my wrath. Be warned that some things are too cruel to fall within the breadth of April Fools. :mad::demon::crazy::upsidedown::roll::upsidedown::crazy::demon::mad:

I’m a dead man, and a sad man that leaks were not true. Maybe e3.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Man I know they say he's too big but this Ridley redesign is going a little far. Surely he doesn't need to be this small. And say what you want about wings being a problem but these are even smaller than Pits!!!

And where did the horns come from?

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Ok, IGN and Activision have done the most transparent tease in existence. Apparently they used to have a picture of the package that included Activision Blizzard as the return address. Why is this song and dance necessary; We know it's coming, you've utterly failed to keep it a secret, and you've gone ahead and as much as announced it as possible with 0 fanfare of an actual announcement. Just do it, this isn't a god damn romance anime.:mad:

TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom , it's a day late but you are safe :reverse:

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I swear if it is announced at pax I will die happy seeing my childhood in hd.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Look in his eyes.

Also Toys for Bob has no Twitter profile or header rn, methinks they are the developer.

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
If legit, Spyro's expression in the box-art looks really well-done. Based on the first game but a little more aggressive. It would be nice to see some more enemies or other characters in the background however.

The level designs on the other hand? Not much to criticize there, absolutely crisp on every last detail. Now it's super exciting to think how the soundtrack will suffice.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
The in game design definitely looks a bit more 'Hero's Tail' which I'm not a fan of but at least the snout is better. the box art attitude though is spot on. Too bad it'll probably be placeholder like Crash's was at time of reveal.

Hell at least it's not Skylanders despite being by Toys for Bob.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I personally like the design a lot. Also it looks like they gave Spyro thumbs now. Makes me laugh since Insomniac complained he had no hands.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Nah man, the announcement is actually ****ing here after months of Activision deciding to refuse to hype it. I'm gonna wait just a bit longer to be hyped to maximum potential.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Alright, those of you who have been holding back your remake hype can finally let loose.

Now let's talk about that extremely conspicuous door they added to the Artisans homeworld. The golden trim, redwood and glowing ruby stick out far too much for it to just be set dressing. Something is behind that door and I'm desperate to open it.

Last edited:

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
It's excellent timing for sure. But I don't see both Crash and Spyro appearing in Smash just yet (Crash just seems much more likely for the time being).

Possible DLC? But for certain this does increase his chances, certainly his classic design for the very least, which is preferable for the fan base majority.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I could see crash in the base game with Spyro as DLC. I feel he needs a bit more exposure from the remake before he’s ready. Especially in japan.

D

Deleted member

I could see crash in the base game with Spyro as DLC. I feel he needs a bit more exposure from the remake before he’s ready. Especially in japan.
Speaking of which, they haven't said anything about a Japanese release, have they? If there's any plans for one, I have a feeling they'd announce it later like they did with Crash.

Morbi

Scavenger
So, the remake is real. But this is SmashBoards, so let's discuss what really matters:

How does Spyro Reignited affect Spyro's likelihood of joining Smash?
Hopefully a lot. I love Crash, genuinely, but Spyro just has so much more potential, if you ask me. It also helps that Spyro was a dream character whereas I never thought of Crash in Smash until the Insane Trilogy came out on Switch.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'd love to see the two of them join together, and the timeline lines up well enough for that to be possible at around the first few DLCs.

Is it realistic? Probably not.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I'm still thinking -- would they really put Crash in the game without Spyro?

UserKev

Smash Champion
I agree that Spyro isn't getting in Smash without Crash. Spyro is in a tough spot since Crash is literally known in Japan and will be in favored.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Quite overjoyed by the announcement of the trilogy- I had just been revisiting Ripto's Rage (though in my parts called Gateway to Glimmer), and the remake looks gorgeous.

At least with this, Spyro's back to limelight once more, so we could see increased interest on him from here on out regarding his future titles and perhaps even Smash Bros-inclusion.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I do really hope that Activision see this as a chance to revitalise the series with new games and not just opportunities for a quick buck from nostalgia. Look at Yooka-Laylee, A Hat In Time, and ****in Odyssey, people do want this 3D platforming, they want the collectathon.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I do really hope that Activision see this as a chance to revitalise the series with new games and not just opportunities for a quick buck from nostalgia. Look at Yooka-Laylee, A Hat In Time, and ****in Odyssey, people do want this 3D platforming, they want the collectathon.
Honestly, at least Spyro is back in anyway shape or form. Hopefully you get what I mean by that. Spyro is a lot better off where he was before his comeback was certain. Him and his reignite will still be an appeal to the new generation.

Top Bottom