• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too much gsp decrease per loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlizeZaide

Smash Rookie
GSP does not in any way, shape or form, indicate a players skill level. In fact, the higher GSP ranges are infested with some of the most lackluster, bad habit having, no combo or punish game having, walmart wifi having, bad strategy having, no parry tech having players who would get 3 stocked 3-0 in bracket offline. I've seen players with a flat 4 million GSP absolutely SHRED people with near 4.7 mil GSP.

The issue I have the most with GSP is, the players tend to NEVER rematch people who beat them, and only rematch people who lose to them, which of course, exaggerates their GSP by astonishing amounts. Most players have at least a spare 1 million GSP floating around off of that factor alone. The other issue is, rulesets. It does NOT matter what your rule set preference is, you WILL end up on RNG stages with smashballs and items, playing against the most laggy DDD on wifi possible. Being limited to only FD and BF is also a huge issue, as some characters don't want to go to one or the other, especially in specific matchups. That's the other thing, random matchups. You just might end up having to fight your worst matchup 10 times in a row because bad netcoding said so. Another issue, no mid-set character switches allowed during rematches, which is a HUGE flaw for the competitive elite smash scene.

To be blunt, 99% of players with high GSP have a fake GSP, built off the backs of casuals they rematch 19 games in a row, while avoiding rematches with the players who bodied them because they aren't carried by walmart wifi with heavies or counter spam.
The truest thing ever

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
I think the reason for sudden gains or losses of GSP is because the system is constantly monitoring the win/loss ratio of every online player of your character in question.

It also probably takes into account the number of matches you have with that character.

Because I have noticed in my Shulk, the first 100 matches or so my GSP would go 100k+ up or down for every match won or lost.

After I got over the 500 match count, GSP lost or won started to decrease into the 1k/2k maybe cause the win/loss ratio curve for Online Shulk players started to "fix" itself.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i had the same problem today..i fought a Bowser as Daisy..admittedly he was good and i think we had 3 matches with 2 of them being really close matches but sadly he was able to K.O me first... but when i see the GSP decrease it really annoys me af..i despise doing 1v1 matches just cause of the GSP decrease so i really only do those a few times if it's going bad.

they should let your GSP decrease depend on your performance...was it a close 1v1 match? then you should lose less GSP but did you get 3 stocked? then you should lose more GSP

Ethan Weegee

Smash Cadet
they should let your GSP decrease depend on your performance...was it a close 1v1 match? then you should lose less GSP but did you get 3 stocked? then you should lose more GSP
I don't think that's a good idea. Even if your past performance is bad but you do okay, if the opponent still sweeps you easy, you'd lose more GSP. I don't think you should be punished that harshly if the game pairs you with someone of a better performance than your average.

Last edited:

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
Doesn't GSP not matter cause a good player can just farm off worse players and leave after losing once to a better player?

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
Doesn't GSP not matter cause a good player can just farm off worse players and leave after losing once to a better player?
It’s not that easy. You still need to be good to move up on gsp latter. The only way you cheat the system is if you use use Jann rulesets and or lag.

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
It’s not that easy. You still need to be good to move up on gsp latter. The only way you cheat the system is if you use use Jann rulesets and or lag.
I just played a Simon who was clearly much better than me and wanted to go for a third rematch. Rather than moving on to a potentially better player, they kept playing safe wins. I played them twice cause I always do 2/3, but I was curious to see if this guy was going for easy wins.

If anything, I'm glad the system is the way it is because players like that Simon would be way higher for rematching worse players like me

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
I just played a Simon who was clearly much better than me and wanted to go for a third rematch. Rather than moving on to a potentially better player, they kept playing safe wins. I played them twice cause I always do 2/3, but I was curious to see if this guy was going for easy wins.

If anything, I'm glad the system is the way it is because players like that Simon would be way higher for rematching worse players like me
As utter garbage this online system is... having the gsp system isn’t too sucky. I feel like it’s better to have the gsp go from larger number to decreasing number. So it’s sort of ranked.have like a fraction, the number below represents the increasing number of users, while number above represents your gsp number. The lower your number the better. So we can definitively know who ranks number 1 in the world online. But this is way too good of an idea for Nintendo so they won’t do it.

Staub

Smash Cadet
I’ve been trying to do more online gameplay since I don’t have too much time during the week in between locals. That being said, there is just so much lag and I second guess every read, won’t push, play extremely safe, and won’t edge guard due to an input taking what feels like a year to occur. I get very frustrated online because I can read tendencies a lot and start to game plan, but it doesn’t come into effect when there is lag when you go for a punish or try to get out of a combo/read. I do think seeing other players strategy, matchups, and play styles are extremely important but at what cost? I feel like I’m way off my game plan and feel like I’m regressing. I finally made some headway and got a few wins in my weeklies but now I did online and played like trash. Should I just get the wired component and it’ll change? Stop complaining? Get Good? Idk man.

Seaghoulie

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0561-6894-8502
Ok, so i really suck at smash. Im a yoshi main who's currently sitting at 84k gsp. Any tips on how to improve my game and raise my gsp? Also willing to play with people.

HeavyMaster

Smash Cadet
Hi all!

I'm having a problem with quickplay/Elite Smash. I've heard rumors that if you don't play Quickplay/Elite smash (I'll just call it "QP/ES") enough, your gsp drops.

I don't know if it's just me, but in the last months, i haven't played QP/ES at all, and my GSP has increased significantly

I played QP/ES until i was around at around 2.7 million GSP. That was around 2 or 3 months ago. I sticked to arenas, because in QP/ES, I would literally never get the type of match I wanted. The times I wanted 1 on 1, I got FFA and Team battles. But the opposite happened too. I wanted to do some team battles, but always kept getting 1 on 1. I know it's a common complaint, but it annoys me that I can't do the type of match I want whenever I want! Ok, I'll move on.

Since the day I stopped playing QP/ES, I wanted to check if my GSP would lower. It did not. It just kept increasing and increasing, and now i'm at around 4.8M GSP!!!

Just for curiosity, i wanted to hop into a team battle, got matched into a 1 on 1 vs a luigi that instantly 0-to-death-ed me and started dash dancing...

I'm obviously not at that level of play, and now I can even less play QP/ES since my GSP keeps increasing.

Am I the only one whose GSP keeps getting higher and higher for no apparent reason? And is there a way to reset GSP?

Thank you for answers

Last edited:

Yoshi_95

Smash Rookie
Theres no way to reset GSP.

The rumor of GSP dropping while not playing is 100% false

Your Gsp increased by that amount cause of new players entering QP.

Since you were 2.7mil and now around 4.8mil means by that time you didnt play, around 2.1mil new players entered QP and got a GSP registered

HeavyMaster

Smash Cadet
Now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense.

Thank you for the clarification. I think I'll either start dropping my gsp (get destroyed for some games XD) until I reach my actual level or just stick to arenas, the latter option being more reasonable lol

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
GSP pretty much rises even by doing nothing. However, you can still be dropped out of elite if enough people have also made it and are higher as well. My Mario and Mii Brawler where in during 1.0 days and they lasted about a month or so because I haven't touched them since. As for something more recent, my wolf barely made it in and he was out in about a couple weeks. You'll probably don't have to worry much about them dropping at this point as my plant has been sitting well above elite since he was released along with my doc being even higher and comparing their scores to the elite GSP site, they're most likely not dropping out of elite anytime soon.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
You could create a new Nintendo account and buy another subscription. That'd probably be the only real way of 'resetting' GSP.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I discovered Smash with ultimate and after unlocking the roster a couple of months ago, I started playing online. I may have lot something like 190 out of 200 fights at the beginning before starting to win more games. My main character is Wolf and I dropped below 70k and then stabilized around 70-75k.
I am a much better player now and this week I won may 18 if my last 20 fights. My opponents were always around 80-90k. My GSP is still improving very slowly, it is now just above 90k. I am wondering if things will change or if if will keep stuck in that range.
Not that a big deal but I would like to know what my GSP could be based on my current level. I think the system draws back people who started from scratch, lost many games, but show a true progression. Not saying that I am very good now, just much better than the total beginner I was, which my GSP progressiin does not reflect a lot.
I have seen some YT videos of people going from around 100k to several millions by winning a few dozens of fights, which is very different from my progression. The difference might be that it was one of their weak low GSP character but their GSP roster was several millions. Maybe your GSP progression for one character is influenced by your roster GSP?
I read that your GSP was based on your ratio win/total fights played % but I do not know if that is that simple.
Anyway, I will continue to enjoy the game.

Last edited:

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
I discovered Smash with ultimate and after unlocking the roster a couple of months ago, I started playing online. I may have lot something like 190 out of 200 fights at the beginning before starting to win more games. My main character is Wolf and I dropped below 70k and then stabilized around 70-75k.
I am a much better player now and this week I won may 18 if my last 20 fights. My opponents were always around 80-90k. My GSP is still improving very slowly, it is now just above 90k. I am wondering if things will change or if if will keep stuck in that range.
Not that a big deal but I would like to know what my GSP could be based on my current level. I think the system draws back people who started from scratch, lost many games, but show a true progression. Not saying that I am very good now, just much better than the total beginner I was, which my GSP progressiin does not reflect a lot.
I have seen some YT videos of people going from around 100k to several millions by winning a few dozens of fights, which is very different from my progression. The difference might be that it was one of their weak low GSP character but their GSP roster was several millions. Maybe your GSP progression for one character is influenced by your roster GSP?
I read that your GSP was based on your ratio win/total fights played % but I do not know if that is that simple.
I’m not sure how it works, but when I started off back on the release date, I was not far off from Elite to start with on all characters. I wonder if your single player accomplishments influence your initial placement (I had done many Classic mode runs and completed WoL by the time I did QP).

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Giving you the benefit of the doubt that your numbers here are accurate, your experience is highly unusual. If you were around 75k and you really proceeded to win 18 of your next 20 fights, you should have ended up well above 90k. Even if the your numbers are a little off by one or two, you still should've gained more GSP than that. Back when I first started improving, it only took a 10 match win streak to get me from something like 100K to over a million. Very strange what you have going on here.

nshoes

Smash Cadet
Giving you the benefit of the doubt that your numbers here are accurate, your experience is highly unusual. If you were around 75k and you really proceeded to win 18 of your next 20 fights, you should have ended up well above 90k. Even if the your numbers are a little off by one or two, you still should've gained more GSP than that. Back when I first started improving, it only took a 10 match win streak to get me from something like 100K to over a million. Very strange what you have going on here.
This. If you won that many you should be well into the millions. There is a very large population under 100k and it's hard to get out of. I went from 90k to 3.5million in an afternoon with a win rate nowhere near 90%.

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
If you are 100k above the ES threshold. Around the point where you only gain 1k per win. Thats where the serious players are at.

Below that all the same. No real marked skill differences in my opinion. Cant even fathom there are 4,6 million people below me. Dont understand how this stupid ranked system works. But all I know is at around 4,780,000 million mark I have challenging matches.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I' m not lying. Maybe I exagerated a little bit but not on purpose. Yesterday night I played a few games (ok maybe not 20, not sure how many but let's say 15) and won all of them but 2. My GSP raised only to around 90k as I said (around +1k per win).
But I am telling you, when I started a few months ago, I lost so many games that my % of games won is still very low probably.
At one point I was fed up and stopped playing Wolf online. Then I played a lot of games against CPU and training mode, and also gave a shot to Falco and DK. I just restarted this week to play online games with Wolf and as I told you I play better than before. I hope that I will be able to maintain a good % of win and that my GSP will eventually increase.

Last edited:

nshoes

Smash Cadet
Oh I misunderstood. It would take a lot of games to get from 75k - 90k. It took me an afternoon to get from 90-95k.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I' m not lying. Maybe I exagerated a little bit but not on purpose. Yesterday night I played a few games (ok maybe not 20, not sure how many but let's say 15) and won all of them but 2. My GSP raised only to around 90k as I said (around +1k per win).
But I am telling you, when I started a few months ago, I lost so many games that my % of games won is still very low probably.
At one point I was fed up and stopped playing Wolf online. Then I played a lot of games against CPU and training mode, and also gave a shot to Falco and DK. I just restarted this week to play online games with Wolf and as I told you I play better than before. I hope that I will be able to maintain a good % of win and that my GSP will eventually increase.
Never said you were lying. Only that your experience was highly unusual. As I said, even if your numbers were a little off, you still should have gained more GSP than you did. Weird. Hope your improvement continues and you're able to rise from the depths of the GSP ocean!

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Oh I misunderstood. It would take a lot of games to get from 75k - 90k. It took me an afternoon to get from 90-95k.
How did you get there??? How does this ranking work??? Like do you go ever lower than 90k? What kind of matches do you play???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom