Let's Talk GSP and Improving

3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
NNID
meleebrawler
If you're winning and not getting any gsp it's because your opponent(s) ragequit on you. Maybe you won and they shut the wifi off at the last second or they did it half way when they got bodied off the stage or something. When that happens, you don't get any points regardless if you win or lose the match against the cpu that takes over.

The ragequitter still loses whatever points were at stake though. Honestly if someone ragequits they should lose the points at stake and by default the others should have their points divided whether they win or not.
And you don't think this would encourage more players to use tedious, infuriating rulesets and strategies to get as many people as possible to ragequit against them?

Sucumbio

Smash Powerslave
Elite should be a separate mode (would love it to differentiate for team and 1v1 with static 3 stock 7 min no items). The GSP rank can still be used for ranked matches (toggle) but matches that are not on 3 stock 7 min no items or are not a match for 1v1 vs team Preferred toggle do not count (are automatically unranked).

3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
NNID
meleebrawler
Elite should be a separate mode (would love it to differentiate for team and 1v1 with static 3 stock 7 min no items). The GSP rank can still be used for ranked matches (toggle) but matches that are not on 3 stock 7 min no items or are not a match for 1v1 vs team Preferred toggle do not count (are automatically unranked).
Team Attack on or off? Off isn't very competitive due to abusive tactics exploiting teammate immunity, but on leads to a giant can of worms having to police team-killing. How does the game know someone is intentionally doing that, or that person (or even the one getting team-killed) is just clumsy and/or not paying attention? You could be banned just for not being good at the game. Not to mention the inconsistencies of characters picked by others possibly causing poor synergy in your team. At least arenas let you judge such things yourself.

And for both modes, which stages and how do you go about selecting them? Even if it's the most conservative with just Battlefield and Final Destination, someone is going to cry foul if the game randomly picks a stage they feel puts them at a disadvantage, no matter how slight. Only way for that to be fair is to do best of three matches where players take turns picking... but that increases the chances of something interrupting the connection for any reason.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I never said that. And I really don't care at this point either. I barely touch Smash online as it is now.

Sucumbio

Smash Powerslave
Team Attack on or off? Off isn't very competitive due to abusive tactics exploiting teammate immunity, but on leads to a giant can of worms having to police team-killing. How does the game know someone is intentionally doing that, or that person (or even the one getting team-killed) is just clumsy and/or not paying attention? You could be banned just for not being good at the game. Not to mention the inconsistencies of characters picked by others possibly causing poor synergy in your team. At least arenas let you judge such things yourself.

And for both modes, which stages and how do you go about selecting them? Even if it's the most conservative with just Battlefield and Final Destination, someone is going to cry foul if the game randomly picks a stage they feel puts them at a disadvantage, no matter how slight. Only way for that to be fair is to do best of three matches where players take turns picking... but that increases the chances of something interrupting the connection for any reason.
I purposefully left out stage because it actually works for the most part if in preferred rules like I used to have bf fd and sv only in previous games. Yes there's still occasionally stage jank but I think it's far less impacting on GSP and I've long been a supporter of broadening stage choices in the meta but that's off topic.

I actually didn't think about team attack. For every smash online game it's off. Doesn't need to be changed imo. And since we're still not changing characters between fights only that teams are randomized between 4 chr if it's all disadvantages drop.

Pretty self explanatory from the title. I literally have no idea how to get better. I play online and just do terrible every single time. I main Lucina. This is the first smash game I've played since the original N64 version and I can't ever win. I practice and practice, but I literally never get any better. How do people get so good at this game? I have no idea how to improve and all it's doing is frustrating me and I'm very close to honestly never playing it again. Any advice is appreciated especially from veteran players. Thanks so much.

Dr. Arc

Smash Rookie
Hey there! I'm not so much a veteran, but I have been playing Ultimate for quite some time now. One of the first things that helped me get started was playing against the CPU while gradually increasing its level. Level 8 and 9's are pretty cheap when it comes to them reading your moves, so going up to 7 should be okay. While practicing against the CPU, try to practice your aerials, edge guarding, shielding at the right time, and short hops. Don't rely too much on smash attacks to KO the opponent. Also, don't worry about combos for now. After getting comfortable with your aerials, I suggest going for online quick plays as it will help you learn different matchups and the methods human players use to win. Don't worry about winning for now. What you need to do is keep on playing and learning how each character and player reacts against your Lucina. Eventually, you'll start to see a pattern in their strategies (like how Links love to start by throwing a boomerang) and be able to start 'reading' your opponents. In my opinion, the more time you spend playing, the better you get.

Go get them, and good luck out there!

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Premium
GSP does not in any way, shape or form, indicate a players skill level. In fact, the higher GSP ranges are infested with some of the most lackluster, bad habit having, no combo or punish game having, walmart wifi having, bad strategy having, no parry tech having players who would get 3 stocked 3-0 in bracket offline. I've seen players with a flat 4 million GSP absolutely SHRED people with near 4.7 mil GSP.

The issue I have the most with GSP is, the players tend to NEVER rematch people who beat them, and only rematch people who lose to them, which of course, exaggerates their GSP by astonishing amounts. Most players have at least a spare 1 million GSP floating around off of that factor alone. The other issue is, rulesets. It does NOT matter what your rule set preference is, you WILL end up on RNG stages with smashballs and items, playing against the most laggy DDD on wifi possible. Being limited to only FD and BF is also a huge issue, as some characters don't want to go to one or the other, especially in specific matchups. That's the other thing, random matchups. You just might end up having to fight your worst matchup 10 times in a row because bad netcoding said so. Another issue, no mid-set character switches allowed during rematches, which is a HUGE flaw for the competitive elite smash scene.

To be blunt, 99% of players with high GSP have a fake GSP, built off the backs of casuals they rematch 19 games in a row, while avoiding rematches with the players who bodied them because they aren't carried by walmart wifi with heavies or counter spam.

If you're looking for REAL players who are REAL threats, and you are trying for REAL improvement so you too are a REAL threat, you'd go to arenas where people have control to kick out carried walmart wifi players, and play bracket style smash. The BEST of the best I've ever played have been exclusively found in different arenas, and I have almost never once seen a good player in elite smash, period. That's just blunt honesty, like it or not. When I'm looking for a fight, I'm looking in the arenas. When I'm looking for good players to challenge me, I make my own arena and set the title to "come get bodied".

Last edited:

AlizeZaide

Smash Rookie
GSP does not in any way, shape or form, indicate a players skill level. In fact, the higher GSP ranges are infested with some of the most lackluster, bad habit having, no combo or punish game having, walmart wifi having, bad strategy having, no parry tech having players who would get 3 stocked 3-0 in bracket offline. I've seen players with a flat 4 million GSP absolutely SHRED people with near 4.7 mil GSP.

The issue I have the most with GSP is, the players tend to NEVER rematch people who beat them, and only rematch people who lose to them, which of course, exaggerates their GSP by astonishing amounts. Most players have at least a spare 1 million GSP floating around off of that factor alone. The other issue is, rulesets. It does NOT matter what your rule set preference is, you WILL end up on RNG stages with smashballs and items, playing against the most laggy DDD on wifi possible. Being limited to only FD and BF is also a huge issue, as some characters don't want to go to one or the other, especially in specific matchups. That's the other thing, random matchups. You just might end up having to fight your worst matchup 10 times in a row because bad netcoding said so. Another issue, no mid-set character switches allowed during rematches, which is a HUGE flaw for the competitive elite smash scene.

To be blunt, 99% of players with high GSP have a fake GSP, built off the backs of casuals they rematch 19 games in a row, while avoiding rematches with the players who bodied them because they aren't carried by walmart wifi with heavies or counter spam.
The truest thing ever