• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk edgegame

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I was wondering if anyone had much knowledge about D3's ledgegame, because I tend to struggle with it.

One trick I commonly use is to Utilt a Gordo on the edge of the stage and then take the ledge. The Gordo will usually force the opponent to go for the ledge, at which point I'll drop down and Uair when they're sticking to it to avoid the Gordo.

Sometimes, usually as a mixup, when the opponent is recovering medium, I'll Utilt the Gordo like before, but then FSmash the area right ahead. The enemy will dodge the hammer, and then hit the Gordo...or even better, just hit the hammer.

What other edgeguarding techniques do people recommend? Any "ideal" tricks I should be using?

Anatase

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilentHuntsman
Me, I just like to walk (Not run, walk) to the edge, turn around, jump off and Back-Air them.

Why? Because it's funny.

Neutral-air and forward-air are great options too, but back-air has the highest knockback and hits in a circular area behind Dedede, so you can get some awkward hits with it and laugh. And laugh. And laugh. Oh, boy.

Sometimes, usually as a mixup, when the opponent is recovering medium, I'll Utilt the Gordo like before, but then FSmash the area right ahead. The enemy will dodge the hammer, and then hit the Gordo...or even better, just hit the hammer.
Yup, that's Gordo-trapping. Try mixing it up a bit by throwing out a side- or down-tilt instead of the forward-smash, or Hell, experiment a bit! As far as I know, it can be done just about anywhere, so practicing your mindgames can turn the Gordo into a scary beast.

But hey, I'm probably stating the obvious here. Go me, I guess.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
When I'm ledge-guarding, It really varies versus the character.

If I am facing someone with a tether, it is pretty much useless to leave the stage to edge guard them. Rather, I just set up a gordo trap near the ledge and prepare to react to their get up option. Dedede has seriously good ledge pressure when a gordo is out like that, as you can react to almost any option. You can hit them with D-smash, F-tilt, or even dash attack and F-smash.

When the opponent has an easy way to get rid of the gordo trap (i.e. Villager's slingshot or mega man's lemons), I usually chase them off the stage, often really deep. The king can go ridiculously far to try and steal the opponent's stock and still make it back safely.

If the opponent has a special/unusual recovery, you can just try to capitalize on its flaws, such as shooting a gordo off stage to interrupt Ness's up-B, inhaling Yoshi after his double jump is gone, landing on Pac man's trampoline the third time if he needs to use it that many times, or doing literally anything to Mac.

Other solid options include trying to gordo-snipe your opponent as they recover, trying to stage spike with B-air if it is the correct type of stage, or if you have time and you practice it, sticking gordo to the ledge and absolutely destroying your opponent with style with B-air, D-air, or F-smash after they hit it.

My go-to option is usually gordo ledge traps, but make sure to mix it up with run off edge guards, snipes, and when the stars align, gordo ledge sticks.

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
mmm... the only real issue is vs players that like to wait, or knows that waiting in the edge they can avoid a great punish... so I would suggest the same U-tilt Gordo throw trick, run/walk to the edge, and put your shield up (in case your opponent has a recovery with a hitbox) once they snap the edge the game starts... you can do any of the following moves to hit your oppoent,
beat waiting: use ledgetrump if your timing is right, you will be able to ledgetrump them and the gordo will hit them, here you can go for a b.air or return stage for another ledge trap/read.
Once ledgetrump is a threat to them, they will probably start either trying to return stage with an attack (to hit the gordo back) or rolling in.
beat rolling in: this option is always beaten by a f.tilt, or f.smash (f.tilt can be thrown on reaction, while f.smash has to be thrown as a read).
beat drop attack: this one is trickier, since you should be aware of your own gordo, my suggestion is going for a n.air, but you can also try retreating and doing an f.tilt, or shielding then grabbing.
beat get up attack: just shield, and punish.

all other options are covered by the gordo alone, if you opponents goes for a ledge regrab, you know what to do (dash attack).

This is when you know or at least think the opponent is going for the ledge, if they aren't you should use other options that can cover up those options.

#KingM

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3926-6730-0487
As Anatase Anatase said, you could always gordo trap them. Highly effective and rage-inducing if done correctly. But I always like to follow up with a f-smash. Let me give an example:

You've just landed a good kill move on the opponent, knocking them way off the stage. But wait, that damn Greninja just won't die! He's going to attempt a recovery.

That's a perfect scenario in which DDD can run up to ledge, throw an upwards gordo, and charge a Fsmash. It's really hard for that Greninja to grab the ledge, especially if the gordo is about to fall. If he times it wrong, he'll run straight into your hammer. Careful though, if they do recover, it takes one grab to throw you off the ledge.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
You can combine many moves with Gordo to hurt the opponents ledge options. Personally I prefer the D-Smash, combined with Gordo it is dangerous, very much so

Top Bottom