• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Talk Dankey Kang - Kill Setups

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
Hello fellow DK mains! Welcome to a series I'm starting called "Let's Talk Dankey Kang". This series is meant to discuss many of Donkey Kong's options, mixups, matchups, and much more! There isn't much discussion that goes on here anymore, but hopefully I can bring the DK mains together and we can advanced the meta!

I will compile all important information from these discussions, and will share it all organized with you guys, so share everything you can with the DK community !

Here are two kill setups I'll share. Note, they do not have to be guaranteed! I wanna know all possibilities and mixups!

Kill Setup #1:
Tipper Jab 1 > Turnaround Utilt
This is something DKwill discovered, but I haven't seen DK mains implement it... yet. Here is a video demonstration by Will himself!

Kill Setup #2:
Headbutt > Dair > Usmash
So I think this is guaranteed depending on percents, but it certainly can work even when it's not, as you can see here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I know the kill setups I mentioned can be pretty hard to pull off in-game... but that's kind of the point! I am looking for every possible option (no matter how hard, or how rare the perfect opportunity for use may be) because I want to know every possibility, so I can always pick the optimal option, even if that option would present itself to be optimal 1% of the time, I am a firm believer in "every little thing counts."

Anyway, discuss and share your kill setups, ideas, thoughts, etc. (anything!... except aerial cargo up throw to up air)

Last edited:

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Will didn't discover the tipper jab to sweet spot up tilt, but he sure let everyone know about it once he finally discovered it himself. The black colored Donkey kong main from Seattle I think discovered it a long time ago and posted it on smash boards, the evidence is there.

DkDaggers

Smash Rookie
A kill setup against characters with less-than-amazing recovery: grounded cargo downthrow offstage followed by well-timed up B stealing their double jump. If you reverse charge punch before the up b then you also threaten B air which limits their options further. Ledge regrab > dair styling on their helpless freefalling body is optional.

At pre-dingdong % on stages with platforms, ACT > empty jump airdodge read > platform regrab > You Know The Rest can kill at insanely low %.

Another airdodge read mixup which can kill at under 20% is ACT near the ledge > airdodge read > dair spke. I've killed a LOT of people with this setup (only works the once, though!). Even managed to land it on Komorikiri :shades:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
jumping cargo back throw is useful if you just can't land that kill
If your opponent is at high percent and you get a grab on a platform it can kill people.
Most people don't expect this, and don't know how to DI it.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Super situational, but if you have rage and they're low% you can double bair - 'sweetspot' upb offstage. If it doesn't outright kill them it'll know them so far that a lot of characters can't make it back.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Super situational, but if you have rage and they're low% you can double bair - 'sweetspot' upb offstage. If it doesn't outright kill them it'll know them so far that a lot of characters can't make it back.
This is something I do a lot. Though it's still not too reliable since people have gotten out of it before. But as you said, a lot of characters are pretty much dead if you can get them out that far anyways especially if you can catch their double jump.

Top Bottom