• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about the Roster Size

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This image was shared around, including by Zero, and it's a pretty good outlook for the roster up to now on the character select screen.
What do you think? And how will it look with the future newcomers? (and how many more do you think there'll be?)

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It'll probably be like Smash 4's CSS where it moves and changes shape to fit the number of characters. The other reason I didn't buy Corrin (besides the fact that I don't want him/her) is because if you own every character but one, the CSS is a perfect rectangle. Add one more and it's no longer symmetrical.

The CSS in the demo build is also not fully symmetrical. If they'd added one more character, it would be, but I guess they absolutely didn't have another fighter ready for the demo or something. So we'll probably see the same thing in Ultimate, especially since you can fold/unfold Echo Fighters from their counterparts, so the stage needs to morph into all kinds of weird shapes regardless.

So while a perfectly symmetrical and organized CSS like that mockup would be amazing, it's likely not going to happen.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I really hope we can display the characters by series, looks so much better imo.
Regarding the size there is really no limit for me, even with a 100 characters I would still be happy with additions... :grin: (Although it would probably be a nightmare to balance, if this is not the case already.)
If I had to guess, I would estimate 4 more unique fighters and 4 more echoes at the moment. (before DLC of course)

Last edited:

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
Every other fire emblem character is from fates.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
That character select screen alone is a work of art. All those characters. And still people find reasons to complain, sheesh. :laugh:

I really hope they let us sort by series as well like is shown right here, it's just so much more pleasing to the eyes and pleases my OCD as well. Or maybe they could let us organize the screen however we wish, in whatever order we want, maybe even allowing us to choose which Echos are stacked and which aren't. But I'd be more than pleased with a 'Sort by Order/Sort by Series' option.

Man, seeing this gets me even MORE pumped to finally pick this up. Aaaaaaaah is it December 7th already?! ;-;

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
is this the css we are getting with the new game?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
is this the css we are getting with the new game?
Well, this image isn't 'official' (at least, I assume this was put together by a fan, because I haven't seen any official sources posting this), but this image IS based on the character select screen that's been shown with the E3 demo, so yeah I'd assume it'd be pretty close to this at least.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
i feel 75 would be a good number of fighters to leave it at
75 would be a good number without echoes. That would mean 8 more unique newcomers (could be with dlc)
or they could have another section for dlc again, but that's not as cool :p

Last edited:
Little Mac seems out of place on the 1st row... it's only Mario and DK characters (bumping him down could make some room for Dixie or Geno!)

Same for Capt. Falcon on the second row... (Zelda, Star Fox and Metroid characters only)... this spot is for Skull Kid :p

(this is obviously a visual observation, no intent to make it a real argument for any newcomer. Mainly a tiny OCD :p)

Last edited:

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
i feel 75 would be a good number of fighters to leave it at
I agree. We have 71 so 4 more to go. Sakurai did say there were a few more so I'd say 75 is what we can expect. I hate words like few, several, etc. For all we know, Sakurai could mean 10 when he says a few.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wow one whole row is just filled with Pokemon and FE characters.
It’s not official, so the css won’t actually be that way...though it is impressive how many FE characters you can see without the echo toggle

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
The echo toggle thing is such an unnecessary feature lol but I kinda get it at the same time. I just don't know how anyone wouldn't want to see that roster in full.

Since echo toggle is a thing, I'd hope toggling characters by franchise or by appearance is also a feature. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it wasn't.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
This image was shared around, including by Zero, and it's a pretty good outlook for the roster up to now on the character select screen.
What do you think? And how will it look with the future newcomers? (and how many more do you think there'll be?)

It’s beautiful, they did exactly what I wanted. Finally Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit are with their franchises. The 3rd party characters are matched up with their companies too.

If I had to complain though, having Pikachu before the trainer would make more sense as Pikachu is the mascot. Also Sonic doesn’t come before the other 3rd party characters? Maybe they’re going by year again, so it really doesn’t matter. I also love that Bayo isn’t next to Sonic as the ‘Sega Cast,’ I think it makes her more individualized and more a representative of her creator company Platinum.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Is there a particular order to the select screen in the demo? Because if not we can expect better.

If we get 1 or 2 more pokemon, more than half the row will be pokemon. Pretty crazy but probably what will happen.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
not to rain on anybody's parade, but they're clearly going for the "every fighter in order of appearance in the series" thing they've been building up

that's why, in this image, a third party character like sonic comes before a first party character like villager

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
not to rain on anybody's parade, but they're clearly going for the "every fighter in order of appearance in the series" thing they've been building up

that's why, in this image, a third party character like sonic comes before a first party character like villager
A good point. However:
- This still is just a demo. Demos don't always follow the same rules as the full released games do like Melee's demo at the time.
- As character select screens get filled out, the positioning may shift around.
- There's also a chance that we'll get an option to sort by series, just like the Smash Ultimate website allows you to do. With the ability of being able to show Echo fighters seperately or stacked onto the fighters they're based on, I can see them allowing other options to show the CSS differently.

Of course there's still the possibility that the CSS is only allowed to be shown in order of appearance as you say, but even if this is the case, there's always the possibility of them adding in more options for the screen through patches.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I agree. We have 71 so 4 more to go. Sakurai did say there were a few more so I'd say 75 is what we can expect. I hate words like few, several, etc. For all we know, Sakurai could mean 10 when he says a few.
There are 73 characters, actually. Pokémon Trainer is technically just 3-in-1.

As for the roster size, this thread seems to be more about how the select scree will look, rather than the roster size.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
S'fine, but how about also what do you think the roster size is going to end up at?
(pre DLC and then with DLC, maybe?)

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I can't see how a metagame could even form until balance patches and DLC stopped coming. Melee's metagame took a while to settle down, and that game has a third of the cast. Hell, it took the amiibo community at least eighteen months from the last balance patch to start to settle down the metagame.

S'fine, but how about also what do you think the roster size is going to end up at?
(pre DLC and then with DLC, maybe?)
I would go with an optimistic 80 before DLC (3 original char. + 4 echos)
and an equally optimistic 90 with DLC.

I mean... the last direct kind of boosted my expectations :)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would go with an optimistic 80 before DLC (3 original char. + 4 echos)
and an equally optimistic 90 with DLC.

I mean... the last direct kind of boosted my expectations :)
Wow, that's a lot, lol. I mean, that'd be great, though you and Blue think there could be 10 DLC characters. That seems like quite a bit, but then again maybe nintendo is good at making them after the game's out now :p

Wow, that's a lot, lol. I mean, that'd be great, though you and Blue think there could be 10 DLC characters. That seems like quite a bit, but then again maybe nintendo is good at making them after the game's out now :p
I know it's quite a lot :)

As for the DLC characters, sm4sh had 7 (correct me if i'm wrong) 5 of them were new and 2 were vets... if Ultimate is to stay around for a few years i'm pretty sure we could get around 10. But again... it's overly optimistic i know.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We have 67 + 6 echoes right now, which is 73. 7 characters before launch makes total sense, it could even be more. 10 characters as dlc over a longer period than smash4 makes sense too, now that I think about it. I think your number is actually good. :)

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
There are 73 characters, actually. Pokémon Trainer is technically just 3-in-1.

As for the roster size, this thread seems to be more about how the select scree will look, rather than the roster size.
Right. I was only counting Pokemon trainer as 1 character there. I totally forget if that is including the 3 mii fighters seperately. The roster is kind of confusing to count when there's 2 characters that have 3 numbers and the echoes share their number with who they're based on. I don't know why they made it that way but oh well.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Little Mac seems out of place on the 1st row... it's only Mario and DK characters (bumping him down could make some room for Dixie or Geno!)

Same for Capt. Falcon on the second row... (Zelda, Star Fox and Metroid characters only)... this spot is for Skull Kid :p

(this is obviously a visual observation, no intent to make it a real argument for any newcomer. Mainly a tiny OCD :p)
Little Mac with Donkey Kong is actually the best place for him to be, given that Donkey Kong is a guest boss in Punch Out Wii.

Last edited:

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
100 stages means 100 characters, which this also means that we will get roughly 1000 songs of course! :4pacman: (This is a joke, please do not take it seriously hahah :p)

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I want the character count to at least reach 75 including any future DLC but not counting echo fighters towards this count. Not hating on echo fighters if they weren't a thing I'd want the character count to hit 100 or something.

Top Bottom