• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about that stage

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Spiral Mountain seems a bit odd as a stage in terms of its function. As a series first, the axis the fighters fight on will rotate. Meaning you'll be standing still, but also moving? We see it happen and it looks really weird.

And then there's the bridge, sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. There also sometimes floating platforms? And we have have a number of guest characters, including Bottles, Grunty and Mumbo Jumbo

800px-SSBUTwitterBanjo&Kazooie3.jpg

800px-SSBUTwitterBanjo&Kazooie4.jpg

Also the stage is gorgeous and precious and the perfect choice, I just want to know how it functions.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the stage confused me too, given all the different angles we saw. Perhaps the bridge periodically collapses and reforms like you suggested, kind of like Bridge of Eldin. Except in this case, the bridge would be a walkoff. But that brings us the shots of the lair itself, like your screenshot with Mumbo, which would be a bit strange if it was a walkoff.

If I had to throw out a guess, I'd say the bridge is considered a stage hazard (the one with the floating platforms being the hazardless version).

And I think the "axis rotation" we see in that first screenshot is just a dev tool like those in replays to make it more cinematic - it'd be highly obnoxious if it was actually like that in-game.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah the stage confused me too, given all the different angles we saw. Perhaps the bridge periodically collapses and reforms like you suggested, kind of like Bridge of Eldin. Except in this case, the bridge would be a walkoff. But that brings us the shots of the lair itself, like your screenshot with Mumbo, which would be a bit strange if it was a walkoff.

If I had to throw out a guess, I'd say the bridge is considered a stage hazard (the one with the floating platforms being the hazardless version).

And I think the "axis rotation" we see in that first screenshot is just a dev tool like those in replays to make it more cinematic - it'd be highly obnoxious if it was actually like that in-game.
The axis rotation doesn't look like a dev tool, we actually see characters moving along the changing axis, and it explains all the different angles, sometimes Banjo is on the bridge and sometimes it's in the background.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
The axis rotation doesn't look like a dev tool, we actually see characters moving along the changing axis, and it explains all the different angles, sometimes Banjo is on the bridge and sometimes it's in the background.
Looking at the footage again, you are right and it would explain being able to see all the angles. However, I still believe that the trailer footage is somewhat tilted by a dev tool; zero chance that it actually looks like that in-game. My bet is that in terms of gameplay (if you ignore the background and floor texture) it'll still appear as a flat plane, just with the world and background rotating around you.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
They hired Jevil to have the world spin beneath their feet. The stage looks gorgeous, and it makes me very happy. I guess the spinning is a bit weird but meh I didn’t even think of it that way when I first noticed it.

I saw an idea that the bridge could potentially be there for a new boss fight; Grunty being the boss, of course.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yeah they demonstrate that the characters will shift around on the top of Spiral Mountain. Banjo is just doing what looks like his idle next to a bunch of other stationary characters and objects as the move around the mountian. It's very strange looking. Perhaps it wouldn't look as strange if a magic platform appeared beneath them and caused them to move along with the changing axis.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I think the stage is still under developed and a major reason why the pack won’t release until Fall. We get a much better idea later on me thinks.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It might've looked better as a Delfino-style traveling stage where the peak of Spiral Mountain is only one of the stops.

Khandoit

Smash Cadet
It might've looked better as a Delfino-style traveling stage where the peak of Spiral Mountain is only one of the stops.
Thats the vibe I got. Kind of hope it goes inside grunty's lair and we see some worlds. if it just starts at the bottom and spins up to the bridge thats fine but something about that image of banjo looking across the bridge seems like we might be getting a cool traveling stage.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
The world spinning on its axis while characters and objects stay locked in place isn't what I'd call organic.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think there will be any more characters showing up in the background? so far we have Mumbo Jumbo, Bottles, Gruntilda and her broom stick. I hope Jamjars appears, I always chose him in multiplayer

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I like the way Spiral Mountain spins--makes it unique, and different from the games while making sense. While it would have been nice for a travelling stage, I felt like they did an incredible job with Spiral Mountain. I don't think it'll be a travelling stage given how much detail everything has.

The multiple different layouts is confusing, though given we have combination of regular/omega/battlefield and hazard/hazardless stages, that could account from some of the discrepancies. While I don't expect it, it would be amazing if the one with the bridge in tact was actually a boss fight with Gruntilda. But I'd be fine if she was a background character--it's much more than I thought would be in a Spiral Mountain stage to begin with.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the reason that the characters rotate on an axis is to use the lower levels of Spiral Mountain as platforms.
Think about it; an iconic memory from Banjo is climbing up the twists and turns of Spiral Mountain to get to Gruntilda's Lair. It'd suck if we couldn't recreate that feeling in Smash.

DownBCounter

Smash Rookie
Those stages feel so detached from the actual environment. Spiralling up the mountain directly seems far more organic.
They really do feel detached from the environment. Look at New Donk City for example. When the platform goes from the top of the building back down to the bottom, it rotates 90 degrees so that you see the street below you in the background as you go down to it. That should dump the characters off the platforms, as the ground they're standing on just go flipped over on its side. But they keep fighting like nothing changed, because of the weird detachment between the background and the stage. Those stages feel like some platforms with a unrelated skybox doing crazy things in the background rather than actually being in whichever location.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
This in particular I think is what the Hazards-Off variation of Spiral Mountain looks like, just like Kalos: One long platform and Two platforms off to the sides.

Think it has a shot at being tourney legal? I'm sick of seeing nothing but battles on Town and City

1560451953291.png

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
This in particular I think is what the Hazards-Off variation of Spiral Mountain looks like, just like Kalos: One long platform and Two platforms off to the sides.

Think it has a shot at being tourney legal? I'm sick of seeing nothing but battles on Town and City

View attachment 227875
I'm not as into competitive Smash as I used to be, but if this is our hazardless Spiral Mountain, I don't see any reason for it to be banned. No walk-offs, fairly simple platform composition- it seems just fine to me.

The only thing I find suspect in that sense is that both sides of the stage might have small sections where fighters can stay/camp, assuming you can land down there. I don't know if it'd be enough to get the stage banned- you never really know with the competitive crowd.

But let's hope it ends up tourney legal- not only would it add some variety, it'd just be awesome to see Spiral Mountain in tourneys on a regular basis.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I'm not as into competitive Smash as I used to be, but if this is our hazardless Spiral Mountain, I don't see any reason for it to be banned. No walk-offs, fairly simple platform composition- it seems just fine to me.

The only thing I find suspect in that sense is that both sides of the stage might have small sections where fighters can stay/camp, assuming you can land down there. I don't know if it'd be enough to get the stage banned- you never really know with the competitive crowd.

But let's hope it ends up tourney legal- not only would it add some variety, it'd just be awesome to see Spiral Mountain in tourneys on a regular basis.
I'm only just getting into the competitive scene (My goal is to get good enough to compete in Get On My Level next year). Going by this alone, I can see Spiral Mountain being a counterpick stage

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Are any stages one-sided walk-offs? The version of Spiral Mountain that has the bridge suspiciously seems like an arena for a Grunty boss fight, due to the bridge being very long in the scene that shows Grunty; and the scene that shows Banjo from behind, while the bridge is still intact, seems a bit like part of an in-engine cutscene.

Honestly new boss fights would probably be weird since they may be missing from World of Light, but they'd still be in Classic tied with a character and if they add a new mode...

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord

View attachment 227875
This image makes me think this is still in development, like the developers don’t quite know where to put the bridge yet

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Are any stages one-sided walk-offs? The version of Spiral Mountain that has the bridge suspiciously seems like an arena for a Grunty boss fight, due to the bridge being very long in the scene that shows Grunty; and the scene that shows Banjo from behind, while the bridge is still intact, seems a bit like part of an in-engine cutscene.

Honestly new boss fights would probably be weird since they may be missing from World of Light, but if they add a new mode...
Suzaku Castle is a one sided walk-off.

CoolGhoul

Smash Rookie
NNID
CoolGhoul
Switch FC
SW-6195-9616-6794
In Kazooie the bridge is broken until you learn all the basic moves from bottles.
My guess would then be the stage spirals around until bottles appears to fix the bridge.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
funnily enough the rotating is how i imagined a captain toad treasure tracker stage working

ShaunoftheRed

Smash Cadet
tbh I'm more interested to see how this stage will work more than their Special moves. Why does the axis-of-play rotate? It can't just be to allow a full view of the world, surely? Because there'd be better ways of doing that. Have they devised a way to let you climb the mountain, d'you think?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
tbh I'm more interested to see how this stage will work more than their Special moves. Why does the axis-of-play rotate? It can't just be to allow a full view of the world, surely? Because there'd be better ways of doing that. Have they devised a way to let you climb the mountain, d'you think?
i think theyre just trying out something new, also based on screen shots extra platforms in different layouts appear when it stops

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Omega versions are all floating platforms now, there wouldn't be a mountain anymore.
You can't say that if you haven't seen the stage. There's clearly two different versions of the stage, and smash features two version of a stage. Omega versions make levels look like battlefield. So it's logical to say the spiral mountain with the platforms and no bridge is the omega version and the one without the platforms and the bridge is the regular version.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You can't say that if you haven't seen the stage. There's clearly two different versions of the stage, and smash features two version of a stage. Omega versions make levels look like battlefield. So it's logical to say the spiral mountain with the platforms and no bridge is the omega version and the one without the platforms and the bridge is the regular version.
But I know how every single other Omega stage looks like. Every single one of them are the same shape where you can jump under it. They're all identical, they're meant to just be different aesthetic takes on Final Destination. This is a change from Wii U to Ultimate.

Also for those theorising Bridge = Boss arena, while still possible, here's a scene from the trailer with the bridge in the background
Screenshot_2019-06-20-23-39-37-48.png

Bottles Molehill almost seems to be right on the entrance to bridge, maybe he is involved with it?

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I think Grunty keeps spinning the stage until the bridge lines up just right for a stage boss fight, hopefully where she mouths of rhyming taunts geared towards the specific characters chosen for the current match.

Noss92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ness92
What if Grunty is actually a Boss? That shot with Banjo alone is still very suspicious to me. And even the camera angle recalls every pre boss cutscene.
In the trailer Gruntilda has never been seen with other character around, and the shot where she flies shows and extremely long bridge. Could it be a walk off like every boss stage (except Giga Bowser)?

Of course she could be a stage hazard too. But what if the trailer is showing the boss stage as well?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
The only thing about Grunty is I'm doubting they're making additional bosses, especially if they're only going to be used in a single classic mode, unless they're planning on doing a paid-DLC expansion to WoL (which I don't think is impossible but also don't see as likely).

Noss92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ness92
The only thing about Grunty is I'm doubting they're making additional bosses, especially if they're only going to be used in a single classic mode, unless they're planning on doing a paid-DLC expansion to WoL (which I don't think is impossible but also don't see as likely).
Or unless... Boss rush mode coming with Banjo as new mode!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
But I know how every single other Omega stage looks like. Every single one of them are the same shape where you can jump under it. They're all identical, they're meant to just be different aesthetic takes on Final Destination. This is a change from Wii U to Ultimate.

Also for those theorising Bridge = Boss arena, while still possible, here's a scene from the trailer with the bridge in the background
View attachment 228687
Bottles Molehill almost seems to be right on the entrance to bridge, maybe he is involved with it?
Yeah, that makes more sense. The stage probably spins to show the scenery in the background, and then Bottles shows up, fixing the bridge, and it becomes stationary, and Grunty's Lair on the right hand side leads to a blast zone.

Would be nice if hazard-less Spiral Mountain was competitively viable (which I would assume if the promotional image is all the stage is, could be)--I might actually watch competitions if it's not the same 5 stages. But some of the reasons they give for banning are ridiculous--banning Wiley's Castle due to "redundancy"? How about only seeing Pokemon and Earthbound? I find that redundant. :chuckle:

(disclaimer: I know nothing about the competitive scene--I saw that reason given on the Wiki. Other places talk about it giving some people a competitive advantage, but it all comes off as arbitrary)

Top Bottom