• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about SSBU's potential online hell

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Who would like to pay $1.67/mos and end up in some sort of soft ban currently called For Glory hell? For Glory won't be around anymore, but something tells me those report buttons will still be an option. If you don't like ending up in For Glory hell now because you played smart or played the way you wanted to you're pissing people off, then you might not like having to pay if you end up in SSBU's version of online hell. I doubt anyone bothers to watch every single replay of what happened. It's not like you have an option of saying what happened like, "He called me a name." Even if such option existed, I doubt anyone would actually make sure the accuser wasn't lying. The thing about reporting now is that if you report too much, you can end up in FG hell. While the idea was to prevent abusing the report button, that has failed.

I doubt you can bail yourself out by paying a bit extra on the month you went to online hell, but even that would be a poor idea. I'm not sure how Nintendo can actually resolve this issue of gratuitous reporting, but I think if there isn't going to be someone who can some how manage what's going on to ensure that the accuser isn't being a douche, then perhaps reporting should be removed. Perhaps instead it should be that if someone is rude to you, or taunts at you, or teabags, or calls you names, you should just be able to block that person. If you decide not to block that person and you end up bumping into him or her again, then it's on you. I'd like to think that certain characters have been nerfed due to complaints, so I'm hoping the complaints from people who ended up in FG hell for no reason other than playing the game will be vindicated.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
It needs to go. There should be a blacklist feature like in SFV instead. Block Player. Select Reason. "Poor Connection, Drops Near Loss, Foul Language, Other". Done! I hope that AI take over mess is gone too. How about "We're sorry but your opponent disengaged from the fight. You will not be penalized. Returning to menu!"

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It needs to go. There should be a blacklist feature like in SFV instead. Block Player. Select Reason. "Poor Connection, Drops Near Loss, Foul Language, Other". Done! I hope that AI take over mess is gone too. How about "We're sorry but your opponent disengaged from the fight. You will not be penalized. Returning to menu!"
SFV did something correct? I jest. I've only heard complaints, but I'm not sure about what. Anyway, that sounds like a good idea. If I experience lag, I give the player on the other the benefit of the doubt that it might be from my end. I never understood the reason to report someone for a laggy connection. It's not like reporting will resolve lag. I even joke that FG hell tends to have better players.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
SSBU should reroute players with poor connections so they get paired with each other and don't hurt people with good connections. Either that, or force the player with a lousy connection to sit AFK in game while they wait, so games don't carry on forever.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see legitimate concerns brought up about a game we’re all excited for. The fact that these are brought up means the game will more likely be fixed. This makes me want to pre-download it from the eShop.

Pyr

Smash Lord
As long as people rage-reporting you for playing a defensive character/playstyle is dealt with, it'll be better in all ways.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think Nintendo is actually going to look at games before reporting a player. If you're not cheating in any way (mods/hacks), you can't be banned for winning.

link2702

Smash Champion
The only thing I could think of, was maybe have a setup where you open a report ticket against a player. While that ticket is open, you can’t play online until a moderator actually looks at it to see if the report was for a legitimate reason. You can cancel the ticket at anytime and then get back to playing, but you won’t get a chance to report that person again unless you run into them again.

After a mod looks at it(the game will record everything from the time you first matchup on the character select screen), the mod can determine if you had a real reason for reporting. So if the opponents changing their name to something offensive for example, the mod can determine if it warrants a ban.

Bans would all last a minimum of a day if someone is found doing something they shouldn’t.

On top of this though, false/rage reporting will result in a 3 day minimum ban, so if you opened that ticket just out of spite and didn’t have a legitimate reason to report your opponent(such as them just taunting after each kill), then prepare to be offline for awhile on top of the wait to have the ticket looked at.

It’s the only setup I could think of that (hopefully) wouldn’t result in mass rage/false reporting. It’s not perfect by any means, and it requires actual people to look over matches, but I just can’t see an automatic system do well at all again. This has at least some sort of penalties and warnings to folks about to report someone, so that they know they should only do so for a legitimate reason.

Nintendo could also do what they did in brawl though and get rid of at least one problem online...make it so you can’t see your opponents name tags. You can still change it if you have a specific control setup, but people on random can never see it. Seeing as offensive name tags are pretty much the main reason to report someone, that would stop a lot of the problems right there.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Reporting should not be an in game feature. I think it should be a system people have to go slightly out of their way to use. If there’s less people reporting for bull s*** reasons, it’s easier to manage. Nintendo has a website. Make a report feature on the website so random players are discouraged from abusing the system out of anger/spite. Nintendo could even add an automated filter of some sort. Require players to upload images or videos of the game to even get a report though to the system.

If we have to go back to online hell, there’s going to be a lot of unhappy people.

Last edited:

zerossoul

Smash Rookie
They need to introduce something like a Community Jury System like League of Legends' Tribunal. Let the players decide what is 'bannable' or not, and do it so no names are mentioned. Of course, I don't know what the incentive would be for players to do that. In League, they rewarded IP points (maybe justice has its own reward?).

Also, as far as chat is concerned it looked like all messages are premade by Nintendo, not customizable (Names are still an issue of course). That should help a lot.

Last edited:

ps_

Banned via Warnings
I think Nintendo is actually going to look at games before reporting a player. If you're not cheating in any way (mods/hacks), you can't be banned for winning.
This seems unlikely. I can't name a single online Nintendo anything that's actively moderated.

They need to introduce something like a Community Jury System like League of Legends' Tribunal. Let the players decide what is 'bannable' or not, and do it so no names are mentioned. Of course, I don't know what the incentive would be for players to do that. In League, they rewarded IP points (maybe justice has its own reward?).

Also, as far as chat is concerned it looked like all messages are premade by Nintendo, not customizable (Names are still an issue of course). That should help a lot.
And this seems like a bad idea. League's tribunal system was notorious for enabling power-tripping losers. Their efforts to police loathsome members of the community ended up with said members sitting at the helm, as terrible people have a tendency to pursue positions of power (and then abuse them.) It got so bad that Riot ended up shutting the system down. I don't want Ultimate online to be a repeat of that.

zerossoul

Smash Rookie
And this seems like a bad idea. League's tribunal system was notorious for enabling power-tripping losers. Their efforts to police loathsome members of the community ended up with said members sitting at the helm, as terrible people have a tendency to pursue positions of power (and then abuse them.) It got so bad that Riot ended up shutting the system down. I don't want Ultimate online to be a repeat of that.
Very True. Maybe I was just hoping that Smash's community was better than league's salt spewing degenerates. But then I remember what generation this game is being played by and realize my suggestion needs to be shut down.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If a more efficient moderation system was at all possible, I'd happily accept it.

As far as I can tell, I've never wound up in "For Glory hell" as the community calls it. But a lot of other people have for absolutely unjustified reasons, and there are also other online issues that need to be dealt with such as offensive and inappropriate name tags, and also, lest we forget, taunt parties. The days of Brawl are over. I'm tired of going into matches where people insist on taunting and doing tricks rather than actually fighting. Yeah, maybe that sounds like more of a trivial complaint, but how many of you here want to go online in a fighting game and only ever want to goof around in it and unfairly gang up on anyone who doesn't play along? Especially when you can actually get banned for doing that, now? Still, it clearly hasn't been enough. For Fun is plagued by them and I even see them in For Glory FFAs on occasion. More needs to be done to keep them under control, and I'm not convinced that there simply isn't a single other thing they can do to accomplish that.

A report feature would be perfectly fine if Ninendo just utilized a clearer, careful, and ultimately effective moderation system in conjunction with it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm curious. Suppose I use a different user account if I'm in FG hell. Will the other user account be affected? If online hell of some kind happens, then at least there might be a loop hole.

link2702

Smash Champion
I'm curious. Suppose I use a different user account if I'm in FG hell. Will the other user account be affected? If online hell of some kind happens, then at least there might be a loop hole.
Unfortunately, least on wii u, it was system bound.

If you had multiple accounts but say one of em got sent to for glory hell, then all of the accounts were in it on that system.

I can’t see the switch being any different if it returns...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If a more efficient moderation system was at all possible, I'd happily accept it.

As far as I can tell, I've never wound up in "For Glory hell" as the community calls it. But a lot of other people have for absolutely unjustified reasons, and there are also other online issues that need to be dealt with such as offensive and inappropriate name tags, and also, lest we forget, taunt parties. The days of Brawl are over. I'm tired of going into matches where people insist on taunting and doing tricks rather than actually fighting. Yeah, maybe that sounds like more of a trivial complaint, but how many of you here want to go online in a fighting game and only ever want to goof around in it and unfairly gang up on anyone who doesn't play along? Especially when you can actually get banned for doing that, now? Still, it clearly hasn't been enough. For Fun is plagued by them and I even see them in For Glory FFAs on occasion. More needs to be done to keep them under control, and I'm not convinced that there simply isn't a single other thing they can do to accomplish that.

A report feature would be perfectly fine if Ninendo just utilized a clearer, careful, and ultimately effective moderation system in conjunction with it.
Since you can create lobbies now, won't those players be able to just make their own taunt party ones and thus stay out of actual matchmaking?

COOKRE

Smash Cadet
To be frank, anything Nintendo did so far involving online / multiplayer interactions felt kind of 5 years behind the status quo. I hope the system is well thought out to handle all irregularities.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I think the competitive scene will be fine since there will probably be a lot of people looking for matches with tournament rules, especially in that elite smash thing, not sure how it will work for others though since i do not see that happening as much for them.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think the competitive scene will be fine since there will probably be a lot of people looking for matches with tournament rules, especially in that elite smash thing, not sure how it will work for others though since i do not see that happening as much for them.
True. Let's just hope some people don't get salty and report because their strategies didn't work.

Dragonblaze123

Smash Rookie
I doubt it, manual review is expensive. I think the main issue here is that trolls will get salty and abuse the reporting system to report people that the troll thinks are playing 'scummy', probably for something like abusive language or something like that. And then for the innocent victim to be sent to the For Glory Hell equivalent that they literally are paying to be in.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Well on the plus side, paid online should help reduce the trolls and false reporters since most of them are kids reliant on their parent's money. At least the possible online hell hopefully won't be as bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom