• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about ports.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Yes I'm serious lol.

It's 2014 and we're still playing a character who struggles at higher levels. We, as Luigi players, as people playing to win, should be looking for every advantage that we can get. This begins from the moment we step up to the Cube and plug in our controllers. Spawn points are an often ignored aspect of the match that can have serious implications. Let's start paying attention. Here I'll break down every spawn point on the five legal stages:

Yoshi's Story
P1 - Left platform
P2 - Right platform
P3 - Top platform
P4 - Center stage

Fountain of Dreams
P1 - Left pl. (lower of the two)
P2 - Right pl.
P3 - Center
P4 - Top pl.

Pokemon Stadium
P1 - Left pl.
P2 - Right pl.
P3 - Far right
P4 - Far left

Dream Land
P1 - Center
P2 - Left pl.
P3 - Top pl.
P4 - Right pl.

Final Destination
P1 - Far left
P2 - Far right
P3 - Mid left
P4 - Mid right

Battlefield
P1 - Center
P2 - Top pl.
P3 - Left pl.
P4 - Right pl.
I think it's safe to say that as Luigi we do not usually want to start on a platform, forcing us to come down on our opponent or leaving us open to attacks from below. Choosing P1 is a pretty good opening bet because that will give you center stage on both DL and BF, two good stages to go for to start your set as most players will ban FD versus Luigi. On FD I would like to start as close to my opponent as possible and go for an immediate waveland up smash before my opponent has even begun fighting.

Versus certain characters on certain stages Luigi will also begin the match with a charged tornado if he is in a lower port than his opponent. Someone else can link the full list (I've already written this much on mobile) but I know off hand that this is the case versus Falco on YS. If a Falco counterpicks you there ask to switch your port to P4 and suddenly you're spawning at center stage with a recovery option that your opponent doesn't think you have. It may seem trivial, and it is, but even the smallest advantage is an advantage that you want.

Griffard

Smash Ace
This is a cool post thanks for sharing! Something that I think is also necessary to think about is that if you are in a lower port as Luigi (3 or 4) you can drop through platforms on spawn and even jump before hitting the ground on stages like Yoshi's (as 4) to attack opponents above.

Here is the info on matchups on stages for the times a lower ported Luigi starts with charged tornado, which is another big advantage.

OkamiBW said:
You need to be in the lower slot. (Axe discovered this part)
Lower port meaning lower port priority. 4>3>2>1

In addition, if you are fighting in teams against say a Peach and a Mario on Yoshi's Story, then you will not have it charged. But if you are fighting a Peach and a Bowser on YS, it will be charged.

Here's a list of all the data I've got so far.

Works with these characters on these stages...

Dr. Mario - FZ, Tem, PS, PF
Mario - PPC, FS, PF, MK2
Luigi (dittos) - PPC, YS, JJ, Tem, Ven, Onett, MC
Bowser - GB, YS, Cor, PS, BF, YI64, KJ64
Peach - YS, FoD, RC, Tem, GG, Brin, Onett, PS, MK1, PF, FD
Yoshi - YS, FoD, RC, Ven, Brin, Onett, FS, BB, MK2, BF, FD, KJ64
DK - FoD, FZ, RC, Tem, Onett, MC, PS, BF, FD, DL64
Captain Falcon - IM, YS, FZ, YI, PS, MK1, KJ64
Ganondorf - KJ, Cor, JJ, YI, Brin, MK1, PF, FD, YI64
Falco - YS, Cor, Ven, PF, BF, FD
Fox - YI, PS, MK1, BD, PF, FD
Ness - YS, FoD, RC, Tem, MC, FS, BB, PF, FD
Ice Climbers - IM, PPC, KJ, GB, Cor, Tem, YI, GG, MK1
Kirby - Cor, Tem, YI, PS, MK1, BD, BF, YI64
Samus - GB, FoD, RC, Tem, YI, Onett, MC, BB, MK2, DL64, YI64, KJ64
Zelda - PPC, KJ, GB, FoD, JJ, Ven, Brin, MK1, FS, BB, PF, MK2, KJ64
Sheik - (untested)*
Link - (untested)
Young Link - (untested)
Pichu - PPC, KJ, YS, JJ, Ven, PS, BD, MK2, YI64
Pikachu - (untested)
Jigglypuff - (untested)
Mewtwo - (untested)
Game and Watch - (untested)
Marth - IM, RC, Tem, GG, BB, PF, MK2, FD, DL64
Roy - IM, KJ, JJ, GG, Ven, MK1, MK2, YI64, KJ64

*Sheik starts it charged on FD, but Zelda does not

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
With the realization you can drop through platforms instantly (seriously don't know how I forgot to take this into account) the matter of port selection comes down to personal preference, which is still worth discussion I believe. I still prefer to start in center stage to minimize the risk of an early gimp that we all know Luigi is susceptible to.
PS is the only stage with mostly undesirable spawn points but I wouldn't exactly call it a good counterpick for us anyway. Any PS fans feel free to speak your mind!

Last edited:

Griffard

Smash Ace
The only undesirable situation I see in terms of spawning as P4 Luigi would be against P1 Fox on PS, and I would take the trade off of a 50/50 for initial stage control for the fact that you start with a charged Down B in this scenario. This is why I think Port 4 is best for Luigi, you get to hit the ground wavedashing immediately, and the down b charges help counter quick shines in the early game.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
I like port 4 except on FoD. Luigi has a big weakness in coming down and a nair won't save you when your opponent is at 0%. If we're going to FoD I'll move to P3.

P4 is also a good cover-all on FD, and if you're opponent is in P1 moving to P3 will give you the quick attack that you want (unless your opponent sees it coming of course.)

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Your port has to be lower to get the spawn tornado so you'll never get it in P1. The only advantage P1 could give you would be center stage on DL and BF, which is good but probably not even better than the options a platform spawn would give you.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Your port has to be lower to get the spawn tornado so you'll never get it in P1. The only advantage P1 could give you would be center stage on DL and BF, which is good but probably not even better than the options a platform spawn would give you.
Every time you say "lower port" I always think being P1 is preferable.

To clear this up: Is being P4 the best slot for Luigi?

Focus Attack

Smash Rookie
With the rise of neutral spawns this information is less relevant, however; port 4 is the best port for Luigi for the precharged tornado, and for every character thanks to weird decisions that were made with grab and throw priorities, you can read more about it from Druggedfox here: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sou5k8

(This is Verda Stelo btw)

Top Bottom