• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about Kirby

KirbyK

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I'm new here! :) So, I'm a pretty big Smash 64 player, and always kicked butt as Kirby. Recently I started picking up Smash for 3DS and to my disappointment, I was not doing as great as I was in 64. So after doing my research, I have found out that Kirby is a lower tier character. :( I still play as Kirby because I love him, but I'm afraid that all my hard work playing as Kirby is not really paying off. I have times when I'm on a good win streak but then I'll get frustrated when I start losing again. Do I even have a chance becoming good at Smash 3DS with Kirby or should I choose another character? Is there any other talented Kirby players out there that can give me inspiration? Let me know, thanks! :4kirby:

OCDkirby

Smash Rookie
I'd say you just have to lean the new moveset. I dominated with Kirby in brawl, and with ssb4, it took me a while to get used to his changes, but it paid off. Kirby is still relevant, even if he's not top tier. Watch SuperGirlKels for some inspiration. :p

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
There are many good Kirby players. Some that come to mind is Mike Kirby, Komota, and Prince Kirby. Also, Kirby is a really good character if played right, you can't go running in expecting to get something good, also I would suggest getting a pocket character to cover those bad matchups.

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
I also forgot to mention Izaw's Art of Kirby. Izaw is probably one of the best Smash 4 guide makers and I would really recommend watching his guides.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Let's be real: Kirby is pretty bad in Smash 4. Like, bottom 5-10 bad. Playing Kirby will put you at a disadvantage vs most of the cast. With that being said, Smash 4 Kirby is better than Melee Kirby, and there have been Kirby players doing well regionally (there have even been worse characters, like Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, and King Dedede, getting regional results). You're going to lose a lot of games because your character is bad. Are you willing to accept that? If so, then sticking with Kirby might be a good idea. If you don't like the thought of losing because of your character's flaws, then I recommend picking some other main and using Kirby for casual play.

Seeing how you mentioned 3DS instead of Wii U, I assume you don't plan to participate in tournaments. Kirby is probably better in casual play (and I could see him being better on the 3DS since many of the good characters will have worse mobility options due to the 3DS' limitations). If you find Kirby the most fun to play and are okay with losing games because of his limitations, then I think you should stick with Kirby.

If you're worried about wasting time on a weak character, then it might be better to pick some stronger character. Are you planning on buying the next Smash game for the Switch? If you're lucky, Kirby will be better in that game.

KirbyK

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the input everyone! I will definitely check out those players. And probably have a backup character might be a good idea. Crossing my fingers Kirby is better in the new game for Switch!

KirbyK

Smash Rookie
I also forgot to mention Izaw's Art of Kirby. Izaw is probably one of the best Smash 4 guide makers and I would really recommend watching his guides.
Yooo! I watched this today and it was extremely helpful! Thank you!!

Top Bottom