• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lets talk about customs

_D._

Smash Apprentice
With a wavebounce think of it as a double, yet quick reverse. Flick the control stick forwards and then back. You might want to try it in Training at 1/4 speed to see the window of frames you have to Wavebounce.

If you want we can ditto and I can show you why I feel the way I do about Lucario's customs.

The only custom I'm kinda interested in is Glancing Counter. Dat frame 3 invincibility.

You're not better than kami? You seem to know a lot about lucario.

Elixar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zer0Requiem
With a wavebounce think of it as a double, yet quick reverse. Flick the control stick forwards and then back. You might want to try it in Training at 1/4 speed to see the window of frames you have to Wavebounce.

If you want we can ditto and I can show you why I feel the way I do about Lucario's customs.

The only custom I'm kinda interested in is Glancing Counter. Dat frame 3 invincibility.
Sounds like a plan, just let me... not fail my exams first xD

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So how has any one had real success with customs Lucario lately? Looking at Lucario as a possible customs character sand curious about their experiences/build. Snagging Aura Sphere and Glancing Counter look interesting.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
So how has any one had real success with customs Lucario lately? Looking at Lucario as a possible customs character sand curious about their experiences/build. Snagging Aura Sphere and Glancing Counter look interesting.
To put it plain and simple: No.

Lucario's customs don't grant him anything better hat his default moveset does. Snaring Aura Sphere is only useful as a doubles gimmick with Villager. Piercing Aura Sphere is the only one I would consider using against Olimar, Link and Toon Link.

Glancing Counter is also a custom that's matchup dependent and even then is not used often.

Empire~

s a d b o y s
None of Lucario's customs are strictly better than his default moves. However, Piercing is better for certain matchups - you'll want it against walls like Roslina, Villager etc, and characters with bad horiz recovery like Robin and Link.

The extremespeed with hitboxes seems alright. Yeah it has crappy range, but it does decent knockback (kills around 80-90 off the side) and has low endlag. You can also use it similarly to Fox's Twisting Fox upB - use it after reading an airdodge for a good chance at KOing off the top.

Don't know why the hell you'd ever want to use Ride the Wind or glacing counter, those moves are horrible. RtW is way more punishable, loses the hitbox, and doesn't go further except at really low %s. Regarding glancing counter, we already have that move - it's called a spotdodge.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So besides the indirect buff to all three Aura Sphere variants capable of locking an opponent's shield into not dropping shield during the ticking charge hitbox, what do you guys think about the other buff Lucario got to his Down B 2 called Glancing Counter? Having a higher knockback angle & ending 7 frames faster is quite a neat little buff, but I don't remember the move being powerful or anything. .

In VS Mode, using Omega Kalos & Lucario placed at center stage, I set handicap to 150% for the max Rage cap & had Mario's handicap at 100% to see if it killed without applying DI for Mario. The result was Mario dying at 100% showing the Deadly Blow effect spark, so then I had him at the 80% handicap without applying DI & he still died with the Deadly Blow effect spark showing. I put Lucario at 200% handicap & Mario at 60%, & the Glancing Counter ALMOST kills. I use just Jab1 to deal ~4% to Mario now at 64%, & use GC which kills & displays the Deadly Blow effect spark without applying DI for Mario.

I like this. The move already was Frame 3 invincibility right? 7 less frames of endlag is not too shabby either.

Last edited:

RosalinA

Smash Ace
Battlefield. These stadiums are really homey.
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
None of Lucario's customs are strictly better than his default moves. However, Piercing is better for certain matchups - you'll want it against walls like Roslina, Villager etc, and characters with bad horiz recovery like Robin and Link.

The extremespeed with hitboxes seems alright. Yeah it has crappy range, but it does decent knockback (kills around 80-90 off the side) and has low endlag. You can also use it similarly to Fox's Twisting Fox upB - use it after reading an airdodge for a good chance at KOing off the top.

Don't know why the hell you'd ever want to use Ride the Wind or glacing counter, those moves are horrible. RtW is way more punishable, loses the hitbox, and doesn't go further except at really low %s. Regarding glancing counter, we already have that move - it's called a spotdodge.
I found snaring to be his best aura sphere. The exreme speed with hithoxes is one that I found to be worse than the original because the momentum isn't carried with lucario when the move stops. I use Ride the Wind because it always goes farther no matter what percent, and the landing lag is a lot less.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Snaring is generally a strong stage tool to dominate a given amount of region around Lucario. Even if the endlag is horrendous, the pull-effect from Snaring is so good that it can draw opponents into the vortex if they try punishing you. However, this move loses hard to any absorb reflect or whatever option that nullifies it and or removes it from play. So Matchups like :4drmario::4falco::4fox::4lucas::4mario::4mewtwo::4gaw::4ness::4palutena::4pit::4darkpit::4rob::rosalina::4villagerf::4zelda::4miigun: & :4miisword: can counterplay it more easily than with any other Aura Sphere variant. If I had to fight one of these characters, I'd opt for Piercing Sphere almost if not most of the time.

I actually kind of like Extreme Speed Attack now, but I probably still wouldn't use it over ES or RTW just yet. Once I get fully used to it, I'm probably gonna roll ESA most of the time.

Last edited:

RosalinA

Smash Ace
Battlefield. These stadiums are really homey.
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
Snaring is generally a strong stage tool to dominate a given amount of region around Lucario. Even if the endlag is horrendous, the pull-effect from Snaring is so good that it can draw opponents into the vortex if they try punishing you. However, this move loses hard to any absorb reflect or whatever option that nullifies it and or removes it from play. So Matchups like :4drmario::4falco::4fox::4lucas::4mario::4mewtwo::4gaw::4ness::4palutena::4pit::4darkpit::4rob::rosalina::4villagerf::4zelda::4miigun: & :4miisword: can counterplay it more easily than with any other Aura Sphere variant. If I had to fight one of these characters, I'd opt for Piercing Sphere almost if not most of the time.
But doesn't Lucario's other aura sphere and his regular one lose to the same characters you listed? And he only loses to mii swordfighter with customs on correct?

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
But doesn't Lucario's other aura sphere and his regular one lose to the same characters you listed? And he only loses to mii swordfighter with customs on correct?
The large difference between Piercing & Snaring is that Piercing is much faster while also having less endlag as well as the sphere itself possessing a lower knockback angle despite of its smaller size. Because of this, Piercing is a lot more manageable & easier to use when challenging or baiting out their options & making them respect your move. I list swordfighter because a variant special is Rainbow slash which acts identical to Mario's Cape.

MickJaegar

Smash Rookie
I feel like the biggest problem with RTW is that you're just begging to get gimped/spiked/what have you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom