• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's share combos

A Stuffy Muffin

Smash Cadet
Hey all,

I know there's some real salt about the state of our main Koopa, but, I figured I'd try to lighten the mood. Do you guys have favorite little pocket combos/tricks that you do with Bowser? It can be something as simple as klaw-->fair or something far more intricate that will guarantee a stock.

Trollinguy

Smash Cadet
Run to ledge --> fall off --> down b = stock

Edit: Its like the only guaranteed stock combo left

Last edited:

A Stuffy Muffin

Smash Cadet
Up b OoS>wait patiently for them to attack your shield again (ad infitium).

New metagame.
10/10
Best character.

It is the year 20xdx and everyone plays Boozer. The time limit has been expunged and the only legal stages are YS, FoD, and WW. The PMDT slowly went crazy after all the angry PM's and gave Bowser hyper armor. Entire meta is koopa klaws, the first one to land a side-b wins.

Dwyon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3411-3722-9309
Up throw into...A) N-Air. B) F-air C) U-air.
the option varies depending on the weight of the enemy and its DI

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
On stage:
Jab1 > Dtilt
Jab1 > Utilt (standing grab range)
Jab1 > UpB (standing grab range)
Late Nair > Jab combo (low percent)
Uthrow chaingrab (low percent fastfallers)
KK fthrow > KK fthrow (0-very low%, character dependent)

Edgeguard:
Late Uair > [Super Jump] Nair (DI/percent dependent)
Flame Breath Bite > Ftilt

Donging

Smash Rookie
i always try to go for Koopa klaw dthrow out of an u-throw. it only really works consistently on fast fallers, and pretty much every character can get away by DIing away and just jumping. but it sure looks cool that one time out of about 50 it works.

also koopa klaw dthrow->jab 1 to jab reset>KK again>react to tech in or read tech away. pseudo tech chase chain grabs, but most characters tech rolls away are good enough that bowser is too slow to reaction tech chase. you have to read it to get the regrab. but it sure is fun to KK dthrow all the way to the edge and then meteor them off stage with another regrab.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
One thing about Bowser'S jab reset: Does it have to hit with the outer hitbox or something? I get a pop up more than half the time I try to get the jab reset so I miss the reklaw.

Also I think the new Flame might be good to cover tech options.

Donging

Smash Rookie
One thing about Bowser'S jab reset: Does it have to hit with the outer hitbox or something? I get a pop up more than half the time I try to get the jab reset so I miss the reklaw.

Also I think the new Flame might be good to cover tech options.
not sure. it might just be that it is possible to buffer a roll/get up attack from jab reset. a lot of people will just hold shield, so you can usually run up and grab them anyway/wait for a spot dodge/react to a roll. 3.6 flames are definitely great for reacting to rolls away when you want to keep applying pressure, especially cuz shielding it doesn't work very well, and you can't buffer a roll in. if they try to SDI flame breath in, you can literally hold it until the flames are the size of a candle and rack up 30% easily, but you will probably get grabbed as a result of flame breff end-lag. in my experience, an opponent that stops DI'ing at any point will usually get knocked down from the flames, but idk the exact specifications for this. it goes without saying this can be used for setting up tech chase situations, but you typically won't get any follow-ups. generally it is best used for :

a) improvising a quick defensive option, either catching an opponent that's being too aggressive/interrupting their dash dance (especially b-reversed/wavebounced)
b) like i said, applying relatively safe pressure from a distance when they roll too far away to get a more optimal follow-up

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Can we talk about followups to KK dthrow?
If they roll behind (which they often will do if they don't expect the dthrow), you can of course regrab, either with a regular grab or KK, ftilt, fsmash, pretty much anything as long as you do it fast enough or get a solid read. However, a really good mix-up I have noticed is using the second hit of upsmash to pop them up. At certain percents, you can get a fair or uair off of it, and at lower percents it opens up another techchase situation. This in mind, it is probably better to go for this at high percents, but it generally works well either way if they aren't expecting it (which is why I refer to it as a mix-up)

wtf is that a keyboard controller

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Tbh from my experience when people don't expect kk dthrow they don't tech and you can get a jab reset to whatever(I do believe fsmash works). I wouldn't think anybody would ever techroll backwards considering you'll get dsmashed...

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Tbh from my experience when people don't expect kk dthrow they don't tech and you can get a jab reset to whatever(I do believe fsmash works). I wouldn't think anybody would ever techroll backwards considering you'll get dsmashed...
You'd think so, but in my experience people see you start to throw down and tech on reaction out of fear. But in a lot of cases yeah you're right. Guess it depends on the person.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
That was a joke. There's many situational, DI dependant, percentage dependant and character dependant combos and listing them all would be exhausting.

REInstalleD

Smash Rookie
from my experience when people don't expect kk dthrow they don't tech and you can get a jab reset to whatever
The problem with Bowser's jab reset is that his jab-1 has relatively high damage (6) and relatively high KBG (91). This means that most characters at mid or low-mid percents will be able to buffer a roll (or another option) because the KB will be too much for the guaranteed forced get up.

Obviously these things can also be punished. I find that most people buffer roll away and if you're ready for it you can get a grab or dash attack. But it's not as simple as following up with whatever you want because any smash or another KK will be way too slow (unless you read a failed buffer or a buffered get up attack with f-smash or something, but that's pretty silly).

I haven't labbed this out at all, but I assume that if you are quick enough you can cover every buffered/non buffered option on reaction, even with a fat character like Bowsers. But that's just an assumption.

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Yeah the pop up actually happens very early in percent unfortunately. The best options might be to usmash/dsmash depending on how you want to cover the tech/roll, or tech chase with dash grab, though I think that's too slow. Pretty sure tech roll away and DI away allows you to escape any followups.

Top Bottom