• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Let's Mega Evolve! Charizard Matchup Archive

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
So I'm back, mostly because you guys need me. Originally, I was telling myself I needed to honor my promise, but then I realized I'm not honorable at all! I Ganoncide children, I give them the flamethrower gimps, I ledgehog with Bowser Bomb against Little Macs, I'm grimy! Anyway, I know you all love me, so I returned. Next time I'll never bet on something likely when it comes to Sakurai...

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
Hey, zards!

I know im an unfamiliar face, and a Lucario main, but i happen to second zard after finding out that i actually like his playstyle.

Take my vote with a grain of salt if you like, but a friend of mine is REALLY good with :4robinf:. I have a hard time beating him with my Lucario, but I'm working on it.

The latest patch also BUFFED :4robinf: across the board, making it even harder.

I don't have an awful lot to contribute to a Robin MU discussion, but I do know how Robin functions for the most part, so maybe i can give insight there.
Yeah, no one uses Robin much, and fewer well, and they just keep buffing them to the point where they need nerfs, only the high tiers can combat their camping and disgusting power. I just hope the final update balances the game completely, though it probably won't.

AureusVulpes

Triforce of AURA
Yeah, no one uses Robin much, and fewer well, and they just keep buffing them to the point where they need nerfs, only the high tiers can combat their camping and disgusting power. I just hope the final update balances the game completely, though it probably won't.
Actually, I find Robin's zoning game less annoying than Yoshi. Simply put: Robin's zoning game actually ends at some point when thoron and arcfire run out of chrages. Of course, this leads to levin pressure, but at least it ends the range game for a while.

Robin is a very solid, underplayed (properly) character. It takes some serious thought to break through a good robin's game. Though they may be less common than falcon punch or shiekspam, don't be fooled; the first good one can shut you down quickly if you're not prepared.

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
Oh yes, Yoshi is far worse, I'm just jealous of Robin's frame data. I hope Corrin can win all the matchups I have trouble with when using my current mains.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well...

It looks like the votes are for Kirby and Robin.

RNG picks Lucario.

An interesting group.

:4kirby::4robinm::4robinf::4lucario:

Still want someone with photoshop...

Please....

Regardless, gonna throw my votes in for :4olimar::4cloud::4wiifit:.

Anyone of those really. I'll only count one when it comes to it though.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Hello, Charizard players! The Marth and Lucina sub-forum has begun matchup discussion and analysis on the Charizard matchup. If you have any input to add, or wish to fight against a Marth/Lucina player for matchup experience, please join us at the following link.

http://smashboards.com/threads/vs-charizard-matchup-discussion-and-analysis.427081/

And be sure to check the directory thread for the rules and guidelines.

http://smashboards.com/threads/matchup-discussion-and-analysis-directory.414156/

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No one is gonna vote?

Alpha.

Smash Rookie
NNID
AlphaFireOmegaTA
3DS FC
0705-3112-0821
Haha Cloud will be easy to do for match ups I rekt every Cloud with my Zard and as for Robin....yea it doesn't look good for Zard

KTVX

Smash Rookie
Cloud please. My mains are Shulk and Sonic, the former has a very hard time with Cloud and the latter gets rekt by him. I've been using Charizard as a tertiary for a long while and know the basics, but if he can beat Cloud I'll take it to lv 100 with 252/4/252 EV investment.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Do you guys think Charizard is a good secondary for sword characters?
I'm sort of relying on him since :4rob::4yoshi: aren't that great against swords, I think.
Hopefully this is the right thread to ask lol

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
I'm sort of relying on him since :4rob::4yoshi: aren't that great against swords, I think.
We're not rule sharks like the other threads so you can pretty much ask anything. I don't think Charizard is a general counter to swordfighters, but can hold his own against some. He goes even with Shulk I think, haven't checked that matchup but I believe I'm right, Ike isn't too big of an issue if you can avoid his deadly back airs and not get countered, and Link won't be able to stop you unless you're playing a really laggy person on For Glory. Marth, Lucina, Cloud, and Meta Knight, however, will hurt a lot. I'd stick with R.O.B against them, at least you can keep the weebs at bay with your lazers and you can reflect Blade Beam, plus, Meta Knight has pathetic reach. Yoshi might be good against MK if R.O.B doesn't work out by the way, but I'm not experienced with your existing mains, just theorizing. If you have any specific swordsman you want me to cover, just ask.

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
Cloud please. My mains are Shulk and Sonic, the former has a very hard time with Cloud and the latter gets rekt by him. I've been using Charizard as a tertiary for a long while and know the basics, but if he can beat Cloud I'll take it to lv 100 with 252/4/252 EV investment.
You made me laugh with that last bit. I think we're covering Cloud soon. Maybe.

KTVX

Smash Rookie
As Shulk I can tell you that the most annoying thing for swordsmen without projectiles are projectiles themselves. They force approach and make it difficult at the same time. Zard has the advantage of overpowering attacks with super armor and invincible appendages, plus having weight and KO power, but I wouldn't consider him a counter, 55-45 at best. ROB is a decent check, other options off the top of my head could be Link and Villager, but I'm sure there are more. Or just go Corrin and outrange everything and throw hadoukens lol.

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
Stages can also play a huge role in this. R.O.B definitely doesn't want any platforms unless you REALLY like killing vertically, because he can zone better on FD and such, but if you're going Zard, pick janky stages like Halberd or Delfino Plaza so the swordsmen get killed super early. Yoshi can go either way. Of course it doesn't matter when the meta is trash. Oops, I had an opinion...

NiK RYdER

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys! I don't know if this thread has kind of died out since the last post was Feb 16 but we definitely should revive it. I think next week we should talk about the Yoshi match-up. He seems like a common character that has a decent amount of combo potential and one of my training partners mains him so would love to hear what you guys think about the MU.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hey Guys! I don't know if this thread has kind of died out since the last post was Feb 16 but we definitely should revive it. I think next week we should talk about the Yoshi
Yeah, looks like it's still dead.
Anyway, I haven't personally fought a Yoshi with Charizard, but there's some things in general that'll probably apply to him too.
First, even though some of Yoshi's moves are absolutely unpunishable, there's some moves you probably shouldn't let him get away with. A misspaced Fair on shield can easily be punished with shield grab. Whiffed Down B can easily be punished with anything. Whiffed grab (especially dash grab) is punishable.
About grabs, abuse shield. Yoshi's grab is terrible but once you're shielding, you should still look out for Neutral B. Egg camping may be effective on Charizard, but I don't know how to counter it. Hopefully this'll start discussion.

Last edited:

NiK RYdER

Smash Rookie
Thanks Pixel_! I know with the egg camping the only real tool most characters have is perfect shield them and just keep moving in. I've been able to connect a well timed side B but it was not really worth it considering the amount of time one of the eggs knocked me out during the start up.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If we get more people, I'll start it up again.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright...

It's been a while.

:4cloud::4cloud2: will be a voted character.

Out of the others... RNG chose :4bowser:.

RNG chose :4lucas:.

I'll throw my vote in for ...
  • :4bayonetta::4bayonetta2:
  • :4ryu:
  • :4mewtwo:
  • :4zelda:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can we have at least one more vote?

At this rate, Bayonetta is guaranteed. Not a bad thing, but hey.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And there we go.

Our winners this time are...

• :4bayonetta::4bayonetta2:
  • :4zelda:
  • :4lucina:
Girl power and all that.

I'll throw in a vote for :4littlemac:, or :4ryu:.

Vote more!

And yeah, I've given up on the photoshop thing.

Our current format is fine I suppose.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Before I began to take Smash4 seriously I played a lot of Charizard, and over time he's still my second best character after Rosalina. I'm trying to figure out those few MUs where my Zard is still the best option. So far, Donkey Kong is the only MU where I would either play Zard game 1 going into it or would switch if I lost with Rosa. The thing is that many of the characters Charizard beats, Rosalina beats as well (and often by greater margins), but DK is a greater intersection of 1.) Zard does better in the MU than Rosa and 2.) DK is high tier (or thereabouts) not a low tier. Are there any other characters you'd recommend I go Zard for over Rosa?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm getting ready to just do Ryu, Little Mac and a random character.

That okay?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Let's do...

:4ryu:
:4littlemac:
:4miibrawl:

Next wave is here. It's punchy.

I vote for :4duckhunt::4villager::4ness:.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Jokes on me. We already did Ness.

So...

Duck Hunt, Villager and Link. :4duckhunt::4villager::4link:.

We're starting to run out of characters. We only have these left.

:4drmario::4yoshi::4falco::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4greninja::4falcon::4corrin::4gaw::4palutena::4olimar::4rob::4sonic::4wiifit::4shulk::4pacman:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd like more discussion in the threads and at least one more vote in here before anything else happens...

Top Bottom