• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
SO!

I most likely won't be able to do the usual 24-hour timeframe, as I'll be doing New Years stuff at that time most likely, so I'll have to end the vote early. Let's look at the results:

Aika: 0 points
Reala: 13 points
Aigis: 43 points
Elenor: 23 points
Yu: 12 points
Alicia: 17 points
Blaze: 36 points
Gemini: 14 points
Balder: 1 points
(REDACTED): 0 points
Jeanne: 12 points
Kasumi: 0 points
MeeMee: 0 points
Claude: 5 points
Ashra: 4 points
Satan: 20 points
Magician: 6 points
Jaguar: 3 points
Ringo: 4 points
Rico: 15 points
Nahobino: 3 points

So we had many, many, many good candidates. But in the end, one won out. And with that, our next additional rep and generally just the next character to show up in the Battle of AGES roster will be mother****ing Aigis!!!!!

And with that, Persona gets its second rep. Do keep in mind that this also means that when we do our next one of these, Persona characters won't be eligible. So yall can start submitting some characters from other ****ing series for once.

ANYWAY:

Job #118: Submit a moveset for Aigis

wow cool robot

Here's the Sacred Moveset Format as always:

-General playstyle overview
-Notable normal attacks
-Specials and All-Star Move
-Misc. info

Thank you so much for voting cool robot in

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Hey so it doesn’t change the results of the vote but I edited my votes before the job was closed so I think some of the points are different, and Aigis technically has less votes. Not enough that she loses but still it’s less votes. I know this doesn’t change anything for this particular job but I do think it would be a good idea for you to count votes not when they come in but when the job closes because some people might want to edit their votes when they see what other people voted for. It’s just a suggestion so you don’t have to do it but I think it would be a good idea

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #118: Aigis Moveset

(shout-out to my brother, who really helped me with this one)

General playstyle:

Aigis is a heavy zoner who relies on her strong projectiles and hard-hitting melee attacks to quickly rack up damage. However, her high weight and rather limited defensive options mean that she will have a hard time escaping from pressure, leading her to be a frail character despite her above-average stamina.

Her air dashes use her built-in jetpacks and her guard animation is borrowed from Persona 3. Aigis is not good at swimming and will start to drown in a short time. While just a visual detail, Aigis will be affected more by electrical attacks.

Aigis also has a unique meter called Orgia Mode which is indicated by a circular gauge beside her player display, resembling the discs on both sides of Aigis’ head. In addition to building meter from taking damage, Aigis also heats up by using her extended jab and Boost Dash, the latter always giving her one full segment of heat. In addition to moves that reduce her Orgia gauge, simply standing still also lowers the meter. The Orgia gauge is divided into nine with three big sections separated by white walls. As Aigis heats up, the red parts of the gauge gradually turn orange.
At the first level, this mechanic has no effect on the gameplay.
At the second level, Aigis’ open joints slightly light up and Aigis gains some movement speed.
At the third level, Aigis’ joints start to glow, and, apart from the speed bonus already gained, the properties of some of her moves change, giving them extra utility.
If the player allows the Orgia Gauge to build up all the way without releasing heat, Aigis enters Orgia Mode.

When Aigis enters Orgia Mode, this is indicated by a glowing orange aura around her body and raising steam. This state lasts about fifteen seconds and greatly boosts her movement speed and increases her overall damage output - also allowing her to use the Boost Dash twice in the air. However, after fifteen seconds (the time is shown by a gradually reducing Orgia Gauge) Aigis overheats and receives %8 self-inflicted damage, going into her shield break animation. If she manages to score a knockout before that, the damage penalty and the time she spends in the overheated state are halved.

Normal attacks:

For most of her moves, Aigis relies on her built-in abilities as a combat android. Her finger bullets act similar to other gunshot moves in the game, though they have significantly shorter range and are more clearly visible.

Normals

Jab: Aigis delivers a backhanded fist, extends both hands forward, and fires a volley of bullets from her fingertips. Has a disjointed hitbox. Normally, she stops firing after a second but if the attack button is held down, she will continue to shoot as the move slowly gets weaker. This rapid jab builds up heat and fills the Orgia Gauge.
Dash Attack: A jet engine emerges from Aigis’ back, propelling her forward. This attack shares its animation with her Boost Dash.

Forward Tilt: A powerful, short-ranged explosion from Aigis’ hand cannon. If Aigis’ Orgia Gauge is in its third level, this attack turns into Heat Wave - a strong, short-ranged projectile that exchanges strength with launch power and reduces the Orgia Meter a significant amount.
Up Tilt: A short volley of shots aimed upward in 45 degrees. If Aigis’ Orgia Gauge is in its third level, this move turns into Akasha Arts - a multitude of energy lines zig-zags around the opponent before throwing them forward with a final blast.
Down Tilt: Aigis jumps backward and shoots the ground she’s just been standing on, drawn from her critical attack animation in Persona 3. If Aigis’ Orgia Gauge is in its third level, this move turns into God Hand - instead of firing bullets, Aigis summons a giant, disembodied fist of yellow energy which smashes into the ground.

Floor Attack: Aigis stands on both hands and performs a spinning double kick.
Edge Attack: Aigis climbs up and does a jump kick forward.

Smash attacks

For her Smash Attacks, Aigis summons her Persona Pallas Athena, who performs these moves for her. With her Down Special, Aigis can separate the Persona from her body and can place it anywhere on the stage. In this state, Aigis can still perform Smash Attacks but they will only deal ignorable damage and knockback while having anemic ranges. Pallas Athena, wherever she may be, will perform the proper attacks instead of her, though their power will be reduced.

Forward Smash: Pallas Athena bashes the enemy with its shield and launches them upwards with its spear.
Up Smash: Heavenly Spear. Pallas Athena thrusts its spear upwards.
Down Smash: Pallas Athena stabs the ground with her spear.

Aerial attacks

Neutral Air: Megido Fire. Aigis extends her arms to both sides and spins in a circle, creating a ring of fire. Releases one segment of heat from the Orgia Gauge - this is Aigis’ quickest and most reliable way of “cooling down”.
Forward Air: Aigis hits the opponent with her raised knee.
Back Air: Aigis reaches backward and hits the opponent with her rapidly spinning hand.
Up Air: Aigis kicks upward with both feet.
Down Air: Aigis produces a giant jackhammer, hitting opponents diagonally below her.

Grabs

Aigis grabs the enemy with both hands and shocks them with high voltage instead of pummeling them. She compensates for her slow and short-ranged grab with some impressive damage output. She has no way of killing with throws - even at respectably high percentages - but they deliver large amounts of damage very quickly.

Forward Throw: Aigis throws the opponent forward with one hand.
Back Throw: Aigis heaves the opponent above her and throws them diagonally.
Up Throw: Aigis hoists the opponent upward before shooting them with her finger guns.
Down Throw: Aigis puts the opponent to the ground, jumps, and releases a small number of grenades from her back, which immediately explodes upon contact.

Special moves

Neutral Special
: Blast Gatling / Multi-Mounter Machine Gun Orion
Aigis produces a tank-sized Gatling gun and opens fire, shooting a series of small energy projectiles before putting it away. Essentially a stronger version of her extended jab. The attack can quickly rack up damage but it doesn’t put the opponent into hit stun.

During Orgia Mode, this Special turns into its much stronger counterpart, Multi-Mounter Machine Gun Orion.

Side Special: Radical Cannon
Aigis leans forward and fires an arcing projectile from the small cannon that comes out of her back. The trajectory of the cannonball can be adjusted with a direction input (side-upward and side-downward).

Up Special: Orgia Boost
Aigis produces a jet engine from her back and launches herself upward. Just like her air dash, this Special builds up Orgia Gauge.

Down Special: Goddess Shield / Raise Up, Persona
Aigis summons Pallas Athena for a short period to reflect projectiles coming from the front. It also acts as a pseudo-super armor; if Aigis is hit while this move is active, the Persona tanks the hit instead of her, disappearing on contact. Aigis receives no hit stun and can retaliate on spot.

If the Down Special is held, instead of pressed, it turns to Summon Persona. Aigis says “I need your help!” and deploys Pallas Athena to a fixed spot and can leave her behind. After using the Down Special again or a remote Smash Attack, Pallas Athena vanishes and cannot be summoned for a few seconds. Regardless of which version of the move is used or how Pallas Athena is retrieved, her disappearance reduces the Orgia Gauge significantly.

All-Star Move: Heritage Liberator Palladion

Aigis summons Pallas Athena to throw its spear (if the Persona is deployed, the spear can be thrown from a remote location). If the spear hits an opponent - it can hit a maximum of three opponents - they are sent to a cinematic finisher: Aigis turns her Persona into a giant railgun, firing a single devastating shot. If she is in Orgia Mode, this Final Smash restores Aigis to her normal state with no repercussions.

Other

Aesthetics:
Aigis is voiced by Maaya Sakamoto in Japanese and Karen Strassman in English. Half of Aigis's models use her Persona 3 design, while the others use her Persona 4 Arena look as a base. Her palette swaps are taken from Persona 4 Arena:

Entrance animation: Aigis starts the match wearing a long black trench coat. She turns to her opponent as she removes her clothing with one hand and throws it away, saying “Commencing mission.” If she's in her P3 costume, she'll just descend to the stage with her boosters.

Taunts:
Taunt 1: Aigis aims with one arm while steadying her wrist and says “Hasta la vista!”
Taunt 2: Aigis places a hand on her chest and briefly summons Orpheus.
Taunt 3: Aigis touches an ear disc and says “Let us strike while the iron’s hot!”

Victory Animations:
Victory 1: Aigis watches a blue butterfly flying to her. She reaches up with a finger, which the ethereal insect perches on.
Victory 2: Aigis raises an arm and reloads herself, saying “I made my decision to live.”
Victory 3: Aigis poses while holding an elbow, saying “Mission complete!”

Victory Theme

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Hey so it doesn’t change the results of the vote but I edited my votes before the job was closed so I think some of the points are different, and Aigis technically has less votes. Not enough that she loses but still it’s less votes. I know this doesn’t change anything for this particular job but I do think it would be a good idea for you to count votes not when they come in but when the job closes because some people might want to edit their votes when they see what other people voted for. It’s just a suggestion so you don’t have to do it but I think it would be a good idea
So, like, the thing is, I......wouldn't really want to encourage that kinda stuff. Editing votes isn't inherently bad, like if you genuinely changed your mind then go right ahead, but changing your vote just for the sake of holding back or pushing forward any of the candidates isn't really the kinda stuff I'd want to see here. I think it unnecessarily complicates things and isn't fair towards characters who would have done better if there wasn't an active effort to set them back in someone else's favor. I remember a particular scenario like this in the Smash Infinite thread, where at a certain point a character was winning and then everyone suddenly changed their votes to push them even further in the lead. And it was frustrating, and it didn't feel fair, because it didn't come from any genuine changing of minds, but rather this concentrated effort by everyone to suddenly change their votes to a particular character. Which, IMO, is super lame, because changing your votes based on what everyone else is voting for makes the results feel almost artificial. And this goes out to all of you: vote with your heart. Vote for who you genuinely want to see or think would be the best choice. If you decide that maybe you'd rather see someone else more and change your vote accordingly, I'm not opposed to that. But this kind of "oh everyone's voting for this character, I'm gonna remove my vote/rank them even higher on my vote!" is not something I encourage. So that's kinda my answer: I can try that method out, but if I do it for any reason, it won't be to accomodate for that kinda stuff, because ultimately all it does is make the results feel unearned and unfairly snatch away the opportunity from characters who maybe had the potential to get in but missed out cause everyone decided to rally for someone else at the last minute. It shouldn't be about who's voting for what, it should be about what you think.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
So, like, the thing is, I......wouldn't really want to encourage that kinda stuff. Editing votes isn't inherently bad, like if you genuinely changed your mind then go right ahead, but changing your vote just for the sake of holding back or pushing forward any of the candidates isn't really the kinda stuff I'd want to see here. I think it unnecessarily complicates things and isn't fair towards characters who would have done better if there wasn't an active effort to set them back in someone else's favor. I remember a particular scenario like this in the Smash Infinite thread, where at a certain point a character was winning and then everyone suddenly changed their votes to push them even further in the lead. And it was frustrating, and it didn't feel fair, because it didn't come from any genuine changing of minds, but rather this concentrated effort by everyone to suddenly change their votes to a particular character. Which, IMO, is super lame, because changing your votes based on what everyone else is voting for makes the results feel almost artificial. And this goes out to all of you: vote with your heart. Vote for who you genuinely want to see or think would be the best choice. If you decide that maybe you'd rather see someone else more and change your vote accordingly, I'm not opposed to that. But this kind of "oh everyone's voting for this character, I'm gonna remove my vote/rank them even higher on my vote!" is not something I encourage. So that's kinda my answer: I can try that method out, but if I do it for any reason, it won't be to accomodate for that kinda stuff, because ultimately all it does is make the results feel unearned and unfairly snatch away the opportunity from characters who maybe had the potential to get in but missed out cause everyone decided to rally for someone else at the last minute. It shouldn't be about who's voting for what, it should be about what you think.
Yeah that makes sense. Personally I’m fine with people being able to edit votes but I can see where you’re coming from.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, alright, fellas, the usual time has passed, and osby's moveset is winning by default!

There's not as much to cover with additional series reps, so we'll be moving to other stuff already:

Job #119: Submit an item

That's right, gang, it's time, you know it, you love it, we are doing yet another item submission round baybeeeeee

As usual, submissions here are completely free. You can submit any kind of item, from any SEGA IP. Go off.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I don't really care about how many times I re-submitted this exact item, but why the heck not?

Job #59: Item - Ideyas (NIGHTS into Dreams)

The Ideyas are crystalline orbs that represent human dream energy and their light is what creates the Nightopians (by colliding two Ideyas) in the Night Dimension, reflecting something about the Visitors according to Owl in Journey of Dreams. The Nightmarens often steal the Ideyas from Visitors for Wizeman, which will make him able to open a portal to the human world and rule it all if enough Ideyas are stolen.

In the games, when the Visitors dualize with NiGHTS, they allow them to use their Red Ideya of Courage, the most powerful of them. This makes NiGHTS strong enough to be able to leave their prison, and to fight against the Nightmarens and even their own creator, Wizeman the Wicked.

In Battle of AGES, a jellyfish-like machine called Ideya Capture will appear in the stage, containing a random-colored Ideya (which changes until it's released from a machine) inside it. If a player destroy it as a machine explodes (which also damages nearby players except one who broke it), they will be able to pick a Ideya to grant themselves various buffs to their stats or attacks for a short period of time, up to 10 seconds in other words.
  • Red Ideya of Courage - Grants a boost in special moves.
  • White Ideya of Purity - Grants a boost in neutral attacks.
  • Blue Ideya of Intelligence - Grants a boost in defense (shield/dodging).
  • Green Ideya of Growth - Grants a boost in speed and air-dashes.
  • Yellow Ideya of Hope - Grants a boost in jump.

Last edited:
Job 119:
Light Phaser (Master System)

1641069227231.png

I know you guys don't know too much about Light Phaser and it sounds very obscure, but here's the short explanation about it:

Light Phaser is a peripheral for Sega Master System and it's like NES Zapper, but it's made by SEGA and it's a light gun.
Light Phaser was made by SEGA and it was based on one of Weapons from "Zillion" anime, where Speed Weed's beloved Opa-Opa appeared.
The Light Phaser is used for Shooting games that were on Master System like Zapper did and the Light Gun was one of Master System's Accessories that were with 3D Glasses and Controllers.

In Battle of AGES, Light Phaser could act like Ray Gun from Smash Bros, but with aesthetics taken from Duck Hunt's Smash Attacks. Light Phaser shoots Rays that give normal damage, but with you charge the Attack, it shoots out projectile that is shown by Reticle like Duck Hunt's Side Smash attack.

I nominate Light Phaser, because it could represent SEGA's console Hardware, since we never had an Item based on Console Hardware and it could be another Shooting Item after Periscope. Besides, this Item could be BoA equivalent of Smash's ray Gun.
Also, this a perfect idea to include Console Hardware Item to the Game.

(Only SEGA legends remember Light Phaser)

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I’m gonna do what’s called a pro gamer move

Job #119: The Yogurt Ring (Shining Force)

F4971566-C6FB-4987-A31D-01080556A471.png

The Yogurt Ring is an item from the Genesis tactical JRPG Shining Force. It’s an elusive item you can obtain every time you take out an enemy with Jogurt. And just who is Jogurt, you might be asking. Why none other than this adorable lil’ hamster guy, of course!

1DE9724B-C29E-4FF5-93EC-7E944166C941.png

Now the thing with Jogurt is that he’s basically designed to be death fodder. He has the worst stats out of all your potential units, can’t equip weapons, and will never level up past Level 1. The only reason you’d ever send him out is if you need someone to act as a decoy and distract the enemies. If you somehow manage to take out an enemy with Jogurt, your only reward for doing so is the aforementioned Yogurt Ring. Surely it must have some sort of beneficial effect if it’s this difficult to obtain normally? Nope, it just makes whoever has it equipped look like Jogurt. And that’s also what it does here in Battle of AGES.

If a player picks up a Yogurt Ring, they can throw it straight forward at any of their opponents. If it hits a fighter, they’re temporarily turned into Jogurt for 10-12 seconds. As Jogurt, the affected fighter only has access to a weak scratch as an attack and very little else, which also means no up special recovery. Your best hope if you’ve been turned into Jogurt is to avoid your opponent for long enough for you to safely turn back.

Last edited:
Job 119

SEGA Pods

SEGA Pods is an obscure game created by SEGA in the 90's with it's whole gimmick is the console being able to detect the height of the users hand

In Battle Of AGES you would pick up the Pods and using it throws out a Laser Mine shaped like one of the pods. You can throw out 3 Pods before the item disappears.
You know, our items have similarties like they are Hardware elements and they are damage-based ones.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #119: Azoth (Rise of Nightmares)

Azoth-Weapon.png

In Rise of Nightmares this Eldritch like weapon is one of the few energy weapons in the game and can instantly obliterate the majority of enemies in a single blast into a gory chunky mess. We may need to lower the power for Battle of Ages somewhat...

Like in Rise of Nightmares, when you have this one eyed glove strapped to your wrist you can charge up three huge balls of pure destructive energy by holding down the basic attack button. When the energy is fully charged, pressing the button will launch it at your opponent. This item is able to be used three times before draining itself of it's mysterious energy.

After the three shots are released Azoth will disconnect from the fighters hand as it recharges but can be picked up again when the eyeball reawakens and begins glowing purple once more.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #119: Hand Scroll (Shinobi)

1641125337467.png

In Shinobi (2002) and Nightshade, scrolls are limited items that allow the player to use one of three strong abilities peruse. Originally, you need a trained ninja to read this, let alone use it to cast ninjutsu but where's the fun in that?

In this game, any character who reaches one of these first will use Ka'en, a fiery area of effect spell that burns anyone and anything in its range aka big bomb magic. However, this move will be activated in seconds after you get the scroll so it's in your best interest to place yourself somewhere you'll cause the most destruction as possible. Keep in mind that while your character will be immune to the fire damage caused by this move if you accidentally set off any explosive, you're gonna have a bad time.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. SEGA Pods (this one is really unique both in inspiration and execution)
  2. Azoth (never heard of the game but sounds pretty intriguing)
  3. Yogurt Ring (I love troll items like this)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Some very cool item ideas!

1. Yogurt Ring (I LOVE this one and it gets some great Shining representation - plus I think it'd be funny to have an unlockable Jogurt capsule toy that comes out of KOing an opponent as Jogurt)

2. Sega Pods (I had never heard of these - talk about something unique to rep. Plus I love the proximity mine in Smash 64)

3. Azoth (Also very unique, plus I like firing energy blasts)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright then let's finish the vote:

Ideyas: 6 points
Light Phaser: 1 points
Yogurt Ring: 17 points
Pods: 17 points
Azoth: 7 points
Scroll: 12 points

So there's a tie. Conveniently, however, we always add two items per job, so we can just add 'em both. So the Yogurt Ring and SEGA Pods will be our next two items!

Aight now, time to move on to the next character job:

Job #120: Submit any SEGA character from a new series

That's right, I figured we could take a breather and do another Literally Anyone job. So uhhhhhh yeah. Not much to say. As long as they're from a series that isn't on this roster yet, you can submit any SEGA character. Go wild.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
It is once again time to push for my boyo Ryo. His inclusion is long overdue and hopefully this job will be his time to shine.
Job #120 Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)

View attachment 322595
Ryo Hazuki is the main protagonist of the Shenmue series. After witnessing his father being murdered by Lan Di, he swears revenge and begins searching for clues on the wereabouts of his father’s murderer.

At the time of Shenmue’s release, it was considered the most expensive video game ever produced and helped pioneer a lot of mechanics that would become staples of big-budget open world games after its release. It helped popularize quick-time events, it featured a day and night cycle, and featured one of the most detailed open worlds of any game released at the time. Regardless of how well you think Shenmue has aged, you can’t deny it was innovative as hell and helped lay the groundwork for big-budget sandbox games, including the Yakuza series. It’s not like the franchise has been forgotten either. Shenmue 3 released two years ago (albeit to mixed reception) and the series is getting an anime adaptation funded by Adult Swim. Plus we literally lifted the capsule toy collectables from Shenmue, it’d be weird if Ryo wasn’t in at this point.

While some might say Ryo would be derivative of the other brawlers on this roster, namely Kiryu and the Virtua Fighter characters, I think Ryo has enough to pull from to make him stand out. He has a ton of techniques that are unique to Shenmue, and if you really wanted to get creative you could pull some stuff from the life simulator aspects of the game. I mean who wouldn’t want to see a forklift super move?

On the subject of Shenmue’s relationship to Virtua Fighter and Yakuza, if Ryo were to get in, he’d be the missing link between Akira and Kiryu. Aside from both Virtua Fighter and Shenmue coming from Yu Suzuki, the first Shenmue started development as a Virtua Fighter RPG for the Saturn with Akira as the protagonist. Yakuza would then go on and take quite a bit of influence from Shenmue, from the structure of its sanbox world, its combat, and even featuring playable Sega arcade games. I just think it’s neat how these franchises influenced each other.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Alright so I’ve always felt like it would be cool for this game to get a more obscure character from Atlus that hasn’t really crossed over with Sega before, because Atlus has a pretty cool history of games that aren’t SMT/Persona that are often pretty forgotten nowadays. My pick for a character like that is gonna be… Solis R8000 from Groove on Fight!
4B0514AB-A091-4817-9B9C-34A594EC8E25.jpeg

(we can censor the chest window but the ridiculous boots have got to stay)
Groove on Fight is a fighting game made by Atlus in 1997 and is the third game in the Power Instinct series even though it’s very different from its predecessors. Solis is the “mascot” of the game. She is a time travelling police officer from the year 2115 who goes to the year 2015 to participate in a tournament to save her family, the Goketsuji clan.

Her game actually was never released outside of Japan and is fairly obscure nowadays but a lot of people consider it pretty good and I personally think it has a really cool aesthetic and artstyle and if I can get it working would like to see if I can play it on an emulator some day. Anyways I think bringing attention to an obscure cult classic like this would be cool and make the roster much more interesting.

By the way I found out about this game through this youtube video so if you want to learn more about it, it’s here. He talks about Groove on Fight at about 5 minutes into the video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=75w0Ro_K7T4

She’s from a fighting game so it’s not that hard to imagine how she would fight, from what I can tell she fights with energy based attacks. We can pretty much just take her attacks directly from the game.

Overall, I think including a deep cut character from Atlus like this would be really cool and she could be a pretty good pick for this game.

Job 120:
Vectorman (Vectorman)

Who is that Green Robot?

Vectorman is a main protagonist of his series of the Same Name. Vectorman is a titular Green Orbot, who was created to clean the pollution on Earth for people, who will come back on Earth someday. Therefore, Vectorman's game takes place in Future in year 2042 and Vectorman also fights with Evil Forces like Warhead Raster or Widow Queen.

Vectorman is considered as 2nd Party character for Battle of AGES and he is represented by song, but he could get more representation in Form of playable Fighter.
Also, Vectorman's maybe a Forgotten SEGA character, but he will make a Comeback to the Battle of AGES.

His first game was released in October 24, 1995 and it became very popular due to it's unique graphics and Visuals, which it proved Nintendo wrong that Sega Mega Drive/Genesis because of his Games' pseudo 3D graphics.

How Vectorman could fight?
Well, there are a lot of moveset potential to borrow from Vectorman games like he could shoot Lasers and he could have Jet-propelled feet that would allow him to Fly for short time. He could also attack with his body like he could shoot out his Ball body parts as Tilt attacks for example.
He could have his Allstar Move, where he turns into VectorTank and it could act like Fox's Landmaster, but he won't do Barrel Rolls.
Vectorman could also have unique hitbox, which it allows him to dodge some attacks and it makes him Unique to play.
Vectorman could have All-Around playstyle and he could Mid-Heavyweight character with no additional movement options.

His Aesthetics:
His design would be taken from Vectorman 2 and he could have more Realistic portions like his body is little rusty due to being Abandoned by SEGA for 2 Decades and his animations could be taken from his Games.

Why Vectorman deserves a spot for the Roster?
There is a explanation, because Vectorman is one of SEGA's 2nd Party characters and he could be Retro character pick for Battle of AGES, since Vectorman could represent 16-bit Era of SEGA in Form of Fighter (Despite we have Arle Nadja, but we don't talk about it here). Vectorman was even originally planned to be in Sonic and SEGA Allstars Racing, which it was fan popular demand to Implement him in SEGA Crossover games due to his popularity back in 90's and even he is cared to this day.
Vectorman is popular enough to get his Sega Forever port on Mobile and he is considered as Forgotten VG character, but he could bring back everyone's memories, which is the Point of Retro rep for Battle of AGES.
Vectorman was even proven in his games that he could fit in Fighting Games and SEGA fans when they were making their own SEGA-Smash Clones, they put him as playable Character, so why can't we just add Vectorman to the Roster of Battle of AGES?

Plus, Vectorman is no-brainer pick for Battle of AGES that could be Retro Rep.

Last words:
Guys, I wanna say that I want Vectorman in Battle of AGES and let this dream come true to add him into Roster like I said earlier.
Thank you for Attention - "Tankman from Newgrounds"

(Hey! Did someone liked my idea?)

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Was torn between this and Kurumi, but oh well, re-submitting this for my friend.

Job #120: New Character - Temjin (Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON)

Temjin is a playable mech from the Virtual-On series, a series of arcade fighting games where cool mechs fight each other. It’s one of the first models of Virtualoids to be created and serves as the mascot of the series. The Saturn version of Virtual-On is notable for being one of the few games on the system that supports online play.

Now I’m no expert on Virtual-On, but it seems like one of those series that garnered a pretty decent cult following and one that Sega likes to reference pretty often. A playable version of the original arcade game can be found in Yakuza Kiwami 2, and some of the more recognizable mechs showed up in crossovers such as Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 and Senko no Ronde 2. It’s not as much of a crossover mainstay as others, but Virtual-On is a cool series that deserves some sort of recognition in our roster. Temjin is no slouch in the moveset department either, being able to utilize a beam sword, lasers, and bombs. Basically, he’s the closest thing we’d get to a Gundam in our roster and I think that’s pretty neat.
-OK so we should totally add Temjin. Virtual-ON is a really cool series, and I'm a bit taken aback by how often I see it just kinda...get the shaft. Not by SEGA themselves necessarily, they acknowledge its existence quite often, but people just kind of...ignore it a lot of the time. I barely see it in any fan rosters, I barely see it get any mention in online discussion of SEGA's legacy franchises - and it's weird because, like, it's not like it's super obscure or anything, it's a noteworthy classic IP that for some reason just gets ignored by most people. So including Temjin I think would be a pretty good move to show that yes, we Know Our ****. Plus, mechs are awesome. We dig giant robots.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #120: Asha (Monster World IV)
1641235393765.png

Asha is the protagonist of the fourth game in the Monster World series...previously known as the Wonder Boy series..and nowadays known as both? It's a little complicated. Basically the series went Wonder Boy, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (which was known in Japan as Monster World II), and...look, the point is, through a complicated relationship with Sega and the developers of the series, Westone, the chronology of the series got all screwed up, but here we are with Monster World IV, which was recently remade and rereleased on the Switch as Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World.

Asha is an Arabian warrior armed with a sword and shield and accompanied by her companion, a blue Pepelogoo, a monster that helps her on her quest. Asha is in tune with her spiritual side, which is part of how she hears the calls of various monsters in need of her help and why she sets out on a quest to help not just her kingdom but the surrounding kingdoms as well.

Asha has her traditional sword attacks, but she can also block attacks with her shield, and her Pepelogoo friend allows her to double jump, float for brief periods of time, and perform long-range attacks by throwing him. He even resists fire, so he makes for a handy platform to traverse lava pits or to shield Asha's head from a wayward fireball.

Asha's swordplay is very melee-focused, but she focuses on combo attacks and can bounce on an enemies' head a la Scrooge McDuck. She may not have many spells at her disposal, but she's brimming with life and personality in everything she does.

Wonder Boy/Monster World is a series that has flown under the radar for a while but is getting new praises thanks to some great remakes by DotEmu and Monster World IV's official translation releasing during the Wii's virtual console days. There was a recent Monster World IV remake but unfortunately it was not particularly well-received. That said, Asha herself is such a fun character and the Arabian fantasy aesthetics she and her stage could bring to the game are super unique, lush, and vibrant.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 120

Dreamcast (Sega Hard Girls)

SEGA Hard Girls or SeHa Girls is a franchise developed by SEGA to be used for merchandising and advertising. Dreamcast is a personified Dreamcast,

The SeHa Girls main piece of media was "Hi-sCoool! SeHa Girls" an Anime where all of the Sega Girls attend a high school where they travel through different SEGA worlds.

The SeHa Girls were japanese exclusive until 2016 when Idea Factory and SEGA collaborated and released Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls, Which was a crossover game between Neptunia and Sega Hard Girls. This was the franchises introduction in the west and added a lot of moveset potential to characters like Dreamcast.

Between Neptunia and Hi-sCoool! the moveset of Dreamcast could be wild with references to many SEGA games and moves she used in Neptunia as well as just general sword attacks.

This is a neat and somewhat obscure piece of SEGA marketing that would be fun to reference in a Fighting Game

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #120: Type 01 a.k.a. Blue Dragon (Panzer Dragoon)

The blue dragon is the mascot of the Panzer Dragoon franchise, and a type of dragon that is featured in all seven games in the series (including the remake, the Japanese exclusive Panzer Dragoon Mini, and the Tiger Electronic R-Zone game, which is a real thing). The story differs from game to game, but the general idea is that these dragons have cyborg elements to them that affect their brain and body that give them protection, allowing them to breathe lasers. With the help of a rider, the consistent goal in all games is to destroy a 'tower' built by an ancient civilization that was created as life support for their planet but will kill anything it deems a threat to the planet.

While the franchise is currently not being published by SEGA, it is a SEGA franchise through and through. The original trilogy of games were all published by SEGA, and it was considered one of the greatest cult franchises to come from the Saturn alongside NiGHTS: Journey into Dreams and Sakura Wars, and SEGA came back to publish Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox, a release that was one of SEGA's first string of titles on the Xbox after leaving the console business, alongside GunValkyrie and Jet Set Radio Future. Although the series has had several commercial failures in America, it has received nothing but praise, and SEGA knows there is a fanbase. It has gotten an anime OVA/Movie commissioned by SEGA by the same people who did the famous Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie OVAs to coincide with the release of Panzer Dragoon Zwei, plus cameos in the form of a stage in Sonic and All-Stars: Racing Transformed, and an extended guest role in the Sonic & Mega Man Crossover comic, World's Unite.

Only two of these dragons is properly named (Lagi from Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Atolm, who is one of the dragons in Saga), but all dragons do share a very similar look with usually small changes. My idea is not to just feature the dragon from the first game, but all dragons from the main series, with their respective riders on a cut-down to size version of them.

From left to right, you have Azel and Edge, respectively, from Saga, who each have their own dragons in that game, Orta from Orta, who has an older version of Edge's dragon, Lundi from Zwei, who was the very first dragon rider and raised a dragon from birth, and Keil from the original, a hunter who takes a dragon from his previous rider, in that rider's dying request.

They will be necessary as on top of the dragon's abilities, they assist in helping shoot down smaller enemies with a gun from time to time. For this character, I'm imagining one focused around the idea of having 180-degree firing capability at all times, and 360-degree firing while in the air, meant to reference the game's gimmick of different angles to shoot from. Recovery and long-range attacks will be the character's big appeal. In addition, Saga and Orta both incorporated a few extra moves you can add: the ability to morph into other forms mid-battle for things like agility or extra armor, and the ability to cycle around the opponent for an advantage.

Not only would it be a perfect pick to represent a well-loved cult franchise, and the definitive character to represent Panzer Dragoon, I feel, but I just think there's so much potential in a moveset. You get a big powerful dragon that can knock things down, AND a zoner-type character.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Gunstar Red/Gunstar Blue (Gunstar Heroes)

Gunstar Red's the one in the very front, while Gunstar Blue is the blonde one who's kicking. They'd presumably be alternate costumes of one another, since they play identically.

We've already got a boss from Gunstar Heroes, so why not include a playable character? Gunstar Heroes is a run-and-gun game in the vein of Contra, developed by Treasure. (who also made Sin & Punishment, Ikaruga, and Wario World) The game offers four different kinds of weapons - flamethrower, machinegun, homing stars, and lightning. You start out with one of these, but picking up another weapon combines the two (even if it's two of the same weapon), resulting in some ridiculous power-ups like a stream of fire that you manually control or a bolt of lightning that homes in on an opponent. (the sound quality of the video isn't great, but it's the best/quickest that I could find that demonstrates a variety of weapons)

Gunstar Red (or Blue) would act as a zoner - they have some melee attacks like kicking, diving at the enemy, or grabbing and throwing them, but they largely run and gun, and they aren't super durable, particularly if an enemy gets close.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sega's had a great deal of mascots I think it's safe to say. Yes, their obvious one is a certain blue hedgehog that took the world by storm.

But before Sonic the Hedgehog there was Alex Kidd...
Before Alex Kidd there was Opa-Opa...
Before Opa-Opa there was...Doctor Games to be honest, but he's largely forgotten these days due to being the mascot for all of ten minutes. Hmm.

BUT BEFORE DOCTOR GAMES THERE WAS...

Job #120: Professor Asobin

Professor-Asobin.png

Okay, so you're probably thinking; what on earth could Professor Asobin possibly do...he was a hints and tips guide character who's only video game appearance to date is the SEGA simulator/celebration game that is SEGAGAGA.

Well dear fellows, Asobin could be many things. See, he has this counterpart in SEGA HARD GIRLS called Mark III who is basically a humanfied version of Asobin. She has characters like Alex Kidd and Opa-Opa summoned from her top hat. Now obviously Alex and Opa-Opa don't need the help of some magical top hat to make it on to the Battle of Ages roster...they're already in the game! But you know who isn't?

Retro characters. In fact, I'd say that we have a crushing lack of them currently with only Alex Kidd and Opa-Opa representing anything pre-Mega Drive/Genesis.

Games like Teddy Boy Blues, Pit Pot, Choplifter, Doki Doki Penguin Land, Dragon Wang, Transbot, My Hero, Hang-On, Ghost House, Quartet and Woody Pop are all games Asobin has a strong connection with having provided tips for these characters games but might not neccesarily have enough to work with as characters on their own due to the simplicity of early Sega titles.

Asobin even provided tips for several more high profile individuals such as Space Harrier, Wonder Boy and SEGA Ninja whom I know have their own fans.

I'm proposing Asobin as a character that can squeeze several retro characters and references into one singular fighter, and whilst we don't have to have all of these guys (Harrier, Princess Kurumi and Tom-Tom for example are all perfectly capable of getting in on their own merits), Asobin can also represent retro titles that are less character focused by having him perform the actions.

For example, games like Champion Boxing, Super Tank, Action Fighter or Astro Warrior don't neccesarily have characters of which to represent, but can still be represented via Asobin here performing their actions, whether that's him piloting the space craft from Astro Warrior, performing the sports actions of the Champion Sports and Great Sports series or donning the cowboy outfits of Bank Panic.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Was gonna do a writeup for a character pick of my own but I have neither the time nor the energy for that so imma throw one out for my guy tonygameman tonygameman
Re-submitting time again (mostly same as the last time when I submitted her, but with extra stuff brought up by other users).

Job #106: New Arcade Character - Princess Kurumi (Ninja Princess - 1985)

Princess Kurumi is the protagonist of SEGA's Ninja Princess, also known as "SEGA Ninja" or simply "The Ninja" (on SEGA Master System), which focuses on her escaping from a traitorous retainer, Zaemon Gyokuro, after he took over her castle and ordered his men to carry away after being kidnapped, transforming herself into a kunoichi and sets about saving her home and putting a stop to Gyokuro's takeover. While obscure and not well-known currently, Kurumi is acknowledged as one of the first female video game protagonists who was made before Samus Aran herself (alongside other examples such as Ms. Pac-Man, Papri from Girl's Garden by SEGA, Baraduke's Tobi "Kissy" Masuyo and Time Gal's Reika Kirishima), even also predating Joe Musashi as SEGA's first ninja hero by two years (who debuted in 1987), despite not being the part of SEGA Gals figure line-up.

According to a fellow friend and mentor in this website, YoshiandToad YoshiandToad , Ninja Princess is among one of the best games in SEGA's earliest console, the SG-1000, which was made before the Master System console itself. In fact, Kurumi would also represent that console as well, as I don't think there's other noticeable games besides it and Girl's Garden (because it was Yuji Naka's first work in SEGA).

For some facts/info, consider watching a playthrough of the original arcade game and this video (people may have known this from Ready Player Two the last year as it's plot point and some spirit also lives on Pocky & Rocky such as run-and-gun shooter gameplay and a cute Japanese culture-based setting).

As a titular ninja/kunoichi princess, Kurumi can be seen as a counterpart to Zelda/Sheik (minus transforming) and maybe even The Mysterious Murasame Castle's Takamaru. For her playstyle/moveset possibilities, she is able to use acrobatics such as back-flip kicks, stealth techniques and her knives to attack opponents by slashing for melee combat or throwing them in eight directions around her towards opponents, like in the original arcade game. She also has throwing stars/shurikens as additional projectiles and can turn herself invisible for a short period of time, able to bypass physical attacks and projectiles as well, which can be used for a teleporting recovery when aimed with a control stick.

Considering that one of her game's titles/names is the "SEGA Ninja", Kurumi may borrow some moves from other ninja characters created by the big blue company themselves, such as Espio the Chameleon, Kage-Maru and those from Shinobi, specifically Hibana. This would also apply for her alternate palettes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #120: Niño (Aztec Adventure)

1641282295294.png

Aztec Adventure (Nazca '88: The Golden Road to Paradise in Japan) is a Master System action-adventure game released for the Master System in 1987. It tells the story of a young adventurer named Niño searching a massive maze for the treasures of ancient Aztec/Nazca civilizations and finding the way to paradise while three other adventurers try and stop him (the cat, dog, and bird on the cover).

In this game, Niño might get a slight design update not dissimilar to the one Pit got in Brawl but even in his home game, he has plenty of material to work with, especially considering his game's age. He can wield a short sword, arrows, dynamites, and bullets and also has an arsenal of magical items in his disposals. These include (but are not limited to) boots that allow him to walk on water, lightning bolts that make him invincible and on-command whirlwinds. One of the main mechanics is using money bags to bribe your enemies to work for you, which also means he can have a special mechanic involving assist characters.

Aztec Adventure is not a big game by any means but I think it has a fun and unique aesthetic, and it could be a fun way to represent a not well-known SEGA title from the 80s.

Top Bottom