• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #106: The Centurion (Altered Beast)

1637783940898.png

Welcome to your doom!

The Centurion is a character from the arcade beat-em-up Altered Beast, an undead Roman soldier resurrected by Zeus in order to stop the villainous Neff. The game is also called Chronicles of the Beast King in Japan, and is pretty famous because it was for a while a pack-in title for the Sega Genesis in North America. It's well-regarded in the US for that reason, though in Japan less so. Still, even if it hasn't aged gracefully, it's still an extremely cool game. Wanna know why it's so cool?

1637784255545.png

THE CENTURION CAN TRANSFORM INTO COOL ANIMALS THAT'S WHY LOOK HE'S A WOLF

That's right, The Centurion has a mechanic where he goes from weak soldier to buff beefcake to Cool Animal. He has a few transformations, actually:

1637784496461.png

The Wolf, who can use flame breath and a jump kick.
The Dragon, who attacks with flight and electricity.
The Bear, who petrifies opponents and can barrel into them with a roll.
The Tiger, who also has fireballs and a vertical kick.
And finally The Golden Wolf, a more powerful version of his first transformation.

The other cool thing about the Centurion is that he made playing as a second player cool! Because if you played as player 2, your werewolf would be green! A green werewolf!

Anyway, check out these transformations:
1637784827195.png

And if you want more info on Altered Beast, check out this I-Mockery article which first taught me about the game back in the day as well as HardcoreGaming101's article on it, also very good.

D

Deleted member

Aiai

We all kind of knew this guy was gonna get in eventually. Monkey Ball is a fan favorite Sega seires that made its debut in Arcades, still receiving new games and re-releases to this day. Monkey Ball always makes it into Sega crossovers, but it does genuinely deserve it. You'd have to get creative with Aiai's moveset but you could easily make a fun one.

Also monke.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hail to the King, baby.

Job #106: King (Virtua Tennis)

King-Virtua-Tennis-(PSP).png

This moustachio'd dandy man is your worst nightmare on the court and has kicked the ass of many of the world's best players in Virtua Tennis.

King is the most reoccurring character in all of Virtua Tennis(even including Tommy Haas the most reoccurring real life player), appearing in every single release as a hidden secret character and usually the final opponent. Think of him as the Dural of Tennis games if you will. In doubles he'll team up with either Queen or Duke and destroy his opponents with an iron wall of defence.

Naturally you may be asking, just what can a Virtua Tennis in a character even bring to the game?

Well aside from being the perfect anti-projectile character(he'll return those shots no problem!) with a very strong mid range projectile game himself and likely a powerful selection of throws serves, King can draw from Virtua Tennis' long and storied history of wild and wacky mini games which include the use of less usual projectiles such as time bombs, bowling balls, and god help us all; meat shanks which will summon hungry alligators to come and crunch on whatever poor sap gets splattered.

For his All-Star Move, King could summon either Queen or Duke to join him on the court, and return a tank fired cannon ball into the opponent(yes this is a mini game too).

Here's hoping he can net some points and get your love during the voting round so he can slice his way through the opposition, getting the drop on them and generally in this game, set his sights on the opponents and match wits with them.

Tennis puns.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So this job should be closing up in a few hours.

The thing is, though, there are a lot of big SEGA arcade characters around, and we're still missing some big hitters who I'd hate to start up voting without.......so I have decided to do an epic gamer move.

For these final few hours of this prompt, I am exceptionally allowing you guys to submit a second character. New-series-only rule still applies, ok now bye

So this job should be closing up in a few hours.

The thing is, though, there are a lot of big SEGA arcade characters around, and we're still missing some big hitters who I'd hate to start up voting without.......so I have decided to do an epic gamer move.

For these final few hours of this prompt, I am exceptionally allowing you guys to submit a second character. New-series-only rule still applies, ok now bye
A character that is a Side Character as new series character? Sounds great.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
There’s a few options I’d like to put forward for my second submission, but considering I probably won’t have time to do a new write-up because Turkey Day, I’m just gonna do Joe Musashi again because he’s one of the more notable omissions here.
Job #106.5: Joe Musashi (Shinobi)

View attachment 321579

Joe Musashi is the star of Sega’s 1987 arcade hack-and-slash Shinobi. He’s a modern-day ninja tasked with taking down the terrorist organization Zeed after learning that they’re kidnapping his students.

I decided to go with Joe because not only was Shinobi one of Sega’s most iconic arcade action games along with Golden Axe, he would also be an incredibly versatile character. He has access to ninjutsu, swords, shurikens, and even firearms. There’s a ton to work with for a hypothetical moveset and it’d be fun to see what everyone comes up with for him.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Bahn (Fighting Vipers)

Bahn is the main character in Fighting Vipers. A Fighting game developed by sega that utilizes a lot of the techniques created with Virtua Fighter but also has it's own identity with it's cast of characters and Armor Mechanic.

Fighting Vipers has basically been dead since the 90s and it's last rerelease was in 2012. but it has appeared in crossovers like Project X Zone.

(I didn't submit a character before the second character addition, am I still allowed to submit a second one?)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #106: Death Adder (Golden Axe)
1637861572966.png

Okay first things first it is hilarious that this is a fake PNG.

Second, Death Adder is the villain of the Golden Axe series. Most people when thinking of a Golden Axe rep would go with Gilius Thunderhead, and to be fair he's the coolest playable character, being a big ol' dwarf, but during the villains prompt I grew really attached to the idea of Death Adder. He's a massive armor-clad axe-wielding barbarian and could really fill a role of a true powerhouse character. Golden Axe itself is one of Sega's big beat-em-ups that is very well-remembered, and I think having this character helps the roster stand out with a deeper cut that doesn't feel like it's stretching or over-compensating since, well, he's a cool evil guy with a big axe.

Job 106.5:
Gilius Thunderhead (Golden Axe)

1637862202129.png

Who is that Dwarf?
Gilius Thunderhead is main Character of Golden Axe series and he is a Dwarf, who wields an Axe and he travels through fictional medieval land of Yuria, where Death Adder tries to Destroy it. Gilius is also one of playable characters in Golden Axe series. He is medium Iconic character that appeared in some SEGA games like Sonic and Allstars racing Transformed and even Sega Heroes on Mobile phones.

How he could work?
If he was added into the Game as Playable fighter, he could middleweight Rushdown character that could rush down at opponents with his trusty Axe. He coudl even summon other characters that could assist him like Tyris Flare or Ax Battler. He doesn't have a gimmick, but he could also use Ox vehicle as his Side Special, which it could have some signs of his status as Rushdown. His Allstar Move would be, where he summons all playable Golden Axe characters to beat up the Opponents with their weapons like Axes. In fact that he could use Golden Axe in random attacks.
His design is based on Sonic Allstars Racing design. His voice actor reprises his role again.

Why him?
I nominate Gilius Thunderhead, because he could be Golden Axe rep, who could have potential to join SEGA allstars in a battle. He could be character that people could really want like Space Harrier, since they both are Popular 80's Characters debuting on Arcades. He could be also character that could be another Arcade Rep that could join the roster along with Space Harrier, who was submitted by Me. BTW, he could be Golden Axe rep along with Death Adder, who was submitted by Flyboy Flyboy .

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #106: Spike and Spike JR (Spikeout)
Spikeout-Digital-Battle-Online-Spike.png

Spike Out for those who didn't know was a revolutionary title in the arcades, being one of the first arcade machines to be able to link up with other arcade machines to allow players to play together rather than having four players crammed around one tiny machine.

The main character of the series is Spike, a toughened street brawler and leader of a four man gang. Most importantly he brings his adorable toddler son Spike Jr with him wherever he goes, allowing for a two in one puppet master style fighter similar to the Ice Climbers or Rosalina and Luma with the cute little kid mimicking everything his big strong dad does:

SpikeOut-Digital-Battle-Spike-and-Spike-Jr (1).png

Spike Jr incidentally grows up and goes on to become the protagonist of Xbox's SpikeOut Battle Street.

D

Deleted member

Bruno Delinger

A man who is definitely not iconic hollywood actor Bruce Willis.

Bruno Delinger is the main protagnist of the Arcade beat em up Dynamite Deka, which was originally released in the West as Die Hard Arcade, with Bruno being the film's protagnist John Mclain. The Japanese version then received a sequal, which became Dynamite Cop, with Bruno receiving a changed design. Bruno later made a memorable appearance in the first Project X Zone, using his original design.

Bruno would be a fun fighter, using his gun and fighting skis but also a number of objects and references to his original games. Bruno has a habit of breaking things, which could also be reflected in his moveset.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Welp, I wanted to nominate him earlier and here's my chance:

Job #106: B.D. Joe (Crazy Taxi)
1637863093376.png

B.D. Joe appeared in several SEGA crossovers before so you might recognize him. He's one of the four playable cabbies in the unconventional 1999 arcade racing game Crazy Taxi, which is most well-known for its Dreamcast port. Crazy Taxi was a pretty successful series and it's still fondly remembered to this day (it even got a spin-off mobile game a few years back).

While B.D. Joe is not the face of his game (that honor goes to Axel), he's a popular character among fans and developers alike, and makes quite an impression thanks to his friendly and cheerful personality. As his game features no violence whatsoever unless you count everyone driving their cabs like four-wheeled murder machines, he'd be a humorous fighter who would nonetheşess be a force to be reckoned with in right hands. Other than using various car-related tools like wrenches and tires in battle, he can also make use of his drumming and card play skills to attack with oil cans and playing cards. As we know he's a good performance artist, he can even be a dance fighter who almost accidentally hurts his opponents!

While Crazy Taxi can be included with side content just as effectively, I think a fighter from that series can be pretty fun. We don't have many non-combatant playable characters and I think B.D. Joe can fill the role nicely. Depending on his moveset, his fellow drivers Gus, Axel, and Gena can also join him as alternate costumes but that's probably not very likely.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I originally wanted to submit Mary from Quartet, but I think Space Harrier has more influence as a jetpack/laser cannon protagonist game (wonder how Tankman would've reacted).

Job #106: Second Arcade Fighter - Pengo (Pengo)

Flyer-52.jpg

Pengo is a classic maze puzzle arcade game, which was developed by SEGA itself in 1982 (making him four years older than both Opa-Opa and Alex Kidd) and involves a titular penguin having been trapped in a maze of ice blocks with a crew of deadly Sno-Bees, who want to catch and kill him (sounds familiar, fellow arcade nerds?). Pengo has to defend himself from Sno-Bees by pushing huge ice blocks around and squashing them between two blocks, with killing each of them allowing him to clear the level, all while a cute version of this song plays in the background.

The game is among SEGA's early arcade games in the 1980's and became a commercial success, having it's fair share of copycat clones from other developers, ports (like in Game Gear) and sequels, the most recent game being "Ge-sen Love ~Plus Pengo!", which was released as a Japan-exclusive on Nintendo Switch in 2019. Pengo himself even made multiple cameo appearances such as Champion Boxing (Yu Suzuki's first work; when a player KO's an opponent) and Teddy Boy Blues (in a bonus round). It even apparently inspired Hudson Soft's iconic video game franchise, Bomberman, with some of it's elements.

For moveset possibilities, Pengo would focus on pushing ice blocks and set up chain reactions to stun and damage opponents around, summon Sno-Bees from their eggs as hazards, maybe toss diamonds as projectiles (based on diamond blocks) and make himself temporarily faster or invincible for a short period of time with power-ups from a Genesis sequel, Pepenga Pengo. The latest afore-mentioned game also has various sections such as "beat 'em uping" enemies, destroying barrels with melee attacks and using a gun to shoot juggling tin cans akin to Duck Hunt's frisbee/NES Zapper move in Smash.

Considering his position in SEGA's arcade history, maybe some of Pengo's moves would be based on non-Suzuki/Super Scaler games like Super Locomotive (rushing move with a missile shot from it's smokestack), Teddy Boy Blues (machine gun), Quartet (jetpack), Champion Boxing (boxing punches), etc., similarly to Pac-Man referencing Namco's arcade roots in whole.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Aight fellas I am about to drop another Based Weed Pick

Job #106 - Arcade Character 2: Electric Boogaloo: Yoko Kono from Last Bronx
Bronx08_1280_1024.jpg

So! Last Bronx was a pretty cool little 3D fighting game released for arcades in 1996. The game was developed by AM3 (most well-known for Crazy Taxi and Virtual-ON) and, even with the oeuvre of fighting games SEGA were already pumping out by that time, still managed to distinguish itself. First off, unlike the likes of Virtua Fighter, it was a weapons-based fighter akin to something like Soul Calibur. Another way it stood out was its distinctly grittier vibe, taking place in real life Tokyo and pulling a lot from the aesthetic of Da Streets.

The game takes place in an alternate universe where Japan's post-Bubble recession period in the early 90s led to the rise of crime and gang warfare, leading to a far-reaching gang war referred to as the First All-Out Street War. One day, a gang named "Soul Crew" came in and put a stop to it all by way of fair-handed dealings and raw muscle. However, things quickly came crashing back down when Soul Crew's leader was mysteriously murdered, destroying the balance of power and leading to the second All-Out Street War. Eventually, a mysterious gang by the name of Redrum challenged all the major gangs to a fighting tournament that would put an end to the violence and decide which gang gets to rule Tokyo. Most gangs dismiss it as either a joke or a trap, until several of their members are found floating lifeless at Tokyo Bay. No one gets to bail out of the tournament.

So uhhhhh yeah. It goes hard. The game didn't make much of an impact in other regions, but it was quite the hit in Japan, spawning manga, radio dramas, a novel, and even a live-action movie. It also later got a SEGA AGES release on the PS2 to celebrate its 10th anniversary. So overall, I feel it's very much made its impact in SEGA's long, long history of IP and is deserving of at least some representation.

Yoko here is the leader of the G-Troops gang, who specialize in war games, survival tactics and military training. Her weapon of choice is a pair of tonfa, and she's out to avenge her brother Ken, who was seriously injured in a fire after refusing Redrum's invitation and hasn't been heard from since.

Now then.....I should probably mention that Yoko isn't actually the main "face" of Last Bronx, per se. That role would go to Yusaku Kudo - however, he frankly isn't that interesting compared to the incredibly cool cast of characters that comprise the rest of the roster, so I'd rather we make use of the much wider potential the other characters offer. Yoko isn't the only one worth considering here (I myself seriously considered going for either Nagi Hojo or Toru Kurosawa instead), but I ultimately went with her for a multitude of reasons:
  • I'm not exactly the biggest expert in figuring out Last Bronx characters' popularity, but she strikes me as someone I see a lot
  • She stands out as a tonfa fighter
  • She has major lore ties (which are admittedly pretty big spoileritos so I won't delve into them here)
  • She's ****ing cool
And uhhhhh that's it pretty much. Last Bronx is cool, yall

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
To quote the man, the myth, the legend, André 3000: ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT - Voting has now begun!

Let's look at our picks:

Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds : Harrier, Gilius Thunderhead
meeeeeeeeeee: Rikiya Busujima, Yoko Kono
tonygameman tonygameman : Princess Kurumi, Pengo
OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos : Temjin, Joe Musashi
osby osby : Tom-Tom, B.D. Joe
Flyboy Flyboy : Centurion, Death Adder
@Darkonedagger: AiAi, Bruno Delinger
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad : King, Spike (+ Spike Jr.!)
cashregister9 cashregister9 : Bahn, Amigo

Now then, I realize that having to pick just 3 characters out of this humongous lineup would be extremely hard and wouldn't do enough justice to most of these characters. So, this time, I'm actually asking you to please vote for your top 6 characters instead. It pretty much works just like what we've been doing already, just at a greater scale. So the first character gets 6 points, the second gets 5, the third gets 4, and so on and so forth. Also, please keep your own submission in sixth place if you're going to self-vote.

Also, adding just one character from this lineup would honestly be ****ing preposterous at this point so yes, we are indeed getting at least two characters outta this prompt.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
  1. Rikiya Busujima (THE MAN! Would be a really fun House of the Dead rep)
  2. Death Adder (Even if we just added Selvaria, we could always use more villains and he’s just cool as ****)
  3. Yoko Kono (Didn’t know about her series beforehand, but tbh she looks rad as hell. Also helps that her choice of weapon is really unique)
  4. AiAi (Hehe monkè. Also one of those characters that just Makes Sense)
  5. King (Idc if it’s him or Football Manager, our roster won’t be complete without an oddball sports rep)
  6. Temjin (wow cool robot!)
This one was insanely hard, if only because of how many kino options we had this time. Honorable mentions go to Kurumi, Centurion, Spike & Spike Jr., Bahn, Tom-Tom, and many more.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is difficult.

1. Temjin (Cool robot.)
2. Harrier (One of my favorite Sega arcade games - I'm entirely biased towards him and will always fight to include Harrier)
3. Kurumi (I LOVE this deep but historically important cut. Extremely cool pick that just sparks joy)
4. Joe Musashi (Shinobi was once an iconic series, and Joe Musashi is super super cool.)
5. King (This is a pick I didn't know I wanted until I saw him but he's shot up my most-wanted list by virtue of playing to my love of crazy non-fighters, moveset potential, and for being representative of Sega's sports games - which are a HUGE part of their history and what helped set them apart as the "mature" company during the console wars)
6. Centurion (Yes, I'm voting for myself, but I just think he's cool.)

I'm sending this before I second-guess myself again but this is the definition of a stacked round.

D

Deleted member

1. Rikiya
2. Adder
3. Musashi
4. Temjin
5. Bahn
6. Aiai

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. AiAi (Monke is good. Put monke in)
  2. Rikiya Busujima (THotD rep aside, Speed really made me want to see him as a playable character)
  3. Temjin (I think he's one of the more underrated picks for these types of rosters and he could be interesting)
  4. King (this is an absolutely off-the-wall pick and I loved the idea)
  5. Gilius Thunderhead (while I previously nominated Death Adder, I like Gilius a bit more)
  6. B.D. Joe (no idea who this character is but the guy who nominated him sounds smart)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
1. AiAi (let's just get him outta the way)
2. Temjin (cool robot)
3. Death Adder (he is Cool)
4. Joe Musashi (go ninja go ninja go)
5. Pengo (haha hehe funny penguin)
6. King (I appreciate the audacity)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  1. Princess Kurumi:
    Sega Ninja/Ninja Princess is a banger, she's one of the earliest ninjas and earliest female protagonists in all of gaming, and I am going to die on this hil declaring it as being one of the best early games in Sega's history. It's still odd to me they replaced her for the Master System version (known as The Ninja) for the less visually unique Kazamaru and had what I have to assume is meant to be Kasumi play a generic damsel role instead.
  2. AiAi:
    I've been playing Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania a lot recently. He might be a more obvious pick, but if Battle of Ages finishes with no Super Monkey Ball fighter, I know I'm going to be annoyed at myself for not pushing harder. Super Monkey Ball is a long running successful series, and I feel it needs someone on the roster.
  3. Tom-Tom:
    It's really close between Asha and Tom-Tom for me in terms of Wonder Boy protagonist I want as a fighter, and whilst Asha may edge him out slightly, Tom-Tom's still a very good pick I simply cannot ignore. Plus...ya know...he's a stone axe throwing skateboarding caveman. Very Sega during the 80s and 90s.
  4. Yoko Kono:
    Whilst in truth Fighting Vipers is likely the more important non Virtua Fighter AM2 fighter, I personally always preferred Last Bronx as a game, even if I didn't gel well with Yusaku Kudo who...honestly always came off pretty unrelated to the plot to me, whilst the brother/sister duo had far more plot relevance...kind of like Virtua Fighter actually. Regardless, Yoko is very cool.
  5. Centurion:
    Werewolves are cool. Dragons are cool. Bear and tigers? Also cool. A character who can evolve over time and become physically stronger with a powering up mechanic sounds like a fun idea. I don't mind if he or Neff eventually get on, but a fighter who can transform seems like a perfect fit for Altered Beast.
  6. King:
    I don't often self vote, but when I do it's for my more unconventional fighters such as dandy tennis players. Or time traveling interdimensional dolphins.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, it doesn't seem like we're getting anymore votes, so I figure I can end voting a bit early. So let's look at the results:

Harrier: 8 points
Busujima: 27 points
Kurumi: 11 points
Temjin: 24 points
Tom-Tom: 4 points
Centurion: 7 points
AiAi: 32 points
King: 11 points
Joe Mama: 20 points
Bahn: 6 points
Adder: 22 points
Gilius: 2 points
Spike: 0 points
Bruno: 0 points
B.D. Joe: 3 points
Amigo: 3 points
Pengo: 2 points
Yoko: 7 points

First of all, I'd just like to say thank you. This prompt was an extremely fun time that seriously rejuvenated my passion for this project and SEGA in general, and really brought out the creativity in everyone here. This might actually be my favorite character prompt we've ever done.

Anyway, I said I'd add at least two characters, and I'll stand by that - we are indeed getting two more characters outta this prompt. And as such: the top 2 winners of this prompt, our next 2 arcade reps and generally the next two characters to get to be a part of the beautiful, beautiful character roster that constitutes Battle of AGES are the one and only, the dynamic duo, AiAi and Rikiya Busujima!!!!!!! This also means we finally get Super Monkey Ball and House of the Dead represented in our roster!

So now of course we'll be getting to covering our two newcomers. Starting with AiAi:

Job #107: Submit a moveset for AiAi

haha

hehehehehe

monke

haha hehe Monkè

Anyway, I'll remind you of the Sacred Moveset Format:

-General playstyle overview
-Notable normal attacks
-Specials and All-Star Move
-Misc. info, such as taunts and palette and whatnot

Have a good one!

osby

Smash Obsessed
His time has come:

Job #107: AiAi Moveset

General playstyle:

AiAi is a small, light character with low stamina but high damage on his stronger moves. He has high jumps with fast falling speed, one of the lowest traction in the game, and a great dashing speed that takes him some time to achieve. These properties make him somewhat hard to control but also enable him to move through the stage in unexpected ways to surprise his opponents.

AiAi uses improvised punches, kicks, flips, and head-butts for most of his moveset. However, some of his specials, his shield and rolls will allow him to enter his monkey ball and roll around with great speed but higher lag when switching directions or slowing/accelerating. If AiAi is grabbed in this state, he’ll just be forced out of his ball while it stays half-open behind him. AiAi can swim reasonably well and cannot drown in his ball. His air dashes are mediocre and unavailable altogether when he’s in his marble.

Notable normal attacks: As AiAi is not much of a fighter during normal gameplay of Super Monkey Ball, most of AiAi’s normal attacks had to be created for this game. He swings his head upward for his up tilt, claps his hands together for his forward aerial, swings his backpack for his forward tilt and down aerial, and does a flip kick for his up aerial. All of his smash attacks are him equipping a pair of boxing gloves from the Monkey Fight party game and punching with them. For his pummel, he slaps the opponent and throws them with acrobatic flips and kicks. AiAi can’t use most of his attacks while rolling in his ball but he can actually do smash attacks, as his ball will temporarily equip extendable boxing gloves to use them, which increases their range and power.

Specials moves:

Neutral Special: Monkey Ball. AiAi invokes the magic words “Ei-Ei-Poo!” and calls him Monkey Ball around himself, a transparent sphere around AiAi that has its own hitbox and health. AiAi has great speed stats across the board in his ball, is protected against most normal damage, and can deal damage just by dashing into other characters. However, he also becomes hard to control. He also has to be careful because when his ball breaks, he’ll experience a shield break stun for a short while. Using this special a second time makes him jump out of it and discard its two parts as weak, brittle projectiles. AiAi has to wait a little while before summoning and leaving his ball.

Side Special: Banana Peel. AiAi pulls out a banana from his backpack and throws it forward like a boomerang. If it hits an enemy, it will leave a banana peel behind which acts as a throwable item. If AiAi is in his ball, he’ll just eat the banana (which heals a very little amount) and eject its peel behind himself. Anyone who steps on the banana will slip and fall. If AiAi rolls over it in his ball, he’ll gain a speed boost (which should be used carefully as it can spring him towards a hazard).

Down Special: Comet Punch. AiAi puts on a boxing glove and punches forward after a brief delay. This attack is actually a counter as AiAi can tank through very weak attacks during the windup animation and will gain extra damage from them. However, any moderately strong attack will get him knocked away. If he’s in his ball, however, he’s instead open his arms to halt his momentum and briefly levitate in the center of it. This attack acts like a regular counter now, as he won’t be affected by normal moves. His ball opens as he retaliates with a punch before closing. If he counters a projectile, he’ll reflect them.

Up Special: Monkey Target. AiAi dons a glider made of the open parts of his marble and propels himself forward, upward, or downward. During his initial burst, AiAi has a damaging hitbox. He can then glide after the ascend reaches its climax and control his trajectory meanwhile. Its maximum horizontal distance is extremely high, but its vertical distance is poor in comparison without proper usage. The glider falls off after a few seconds of flight or if AiAi hits a wall, leaving him helpless. He can also cancel this move into an airdash, though doing so will give this move a highly extended landing lag. AiAi may yell “Poo-Poo-Woo!” when using this move.

All-Star Move: Super Monkey Roll. AiAi gets into his marble if he already isn’t and calls upon his friends and family. Suddenly, MeeMee, Baby, YanYan, GonGon, and Doctor will jump to the stage in their marbles and start rolling and jumping around. AiAi is fully invincible while this move is active and gains a strong rolling hitbox, allowing him to join his buddies in their join effort to roll over anyone who stands in their way.

Other:

Aesthetics:
AiAi is based on his Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD appearance. His run and jump animations are taken from his games in general. He is voiced by Kaoru Monota in all languages. His fur color and shirt design in his five alternate colors are inspired by other Super Monkey Ball characters (MeeMee, Baby, GonGon, YanYan, Doctor, B-Jet) while his last two costumes make him dress as C-Aiai and Future AiAi.

Entrance animation: AiAi teleports to the stage from a column of light in his ball. He jumps with his arms open and cheers before his ball opens and disappears.

Taunts:

Taunt 1: AiAi puts on a pair of 3D glasses and giggles as he covers his mouth with both hands
Taunt 2: AiAi throws a banana into the air and catches it while playfully blowing kisses.
Taunt 3: AiAi stretches up his arms and then waves to the camera.

Victory Animations:
Victory 1: AiAi tosses a trophy in the air and poses with his hands on his hips before the trophy falls and gets stuck to his head. Then AiAi tries to remove his trophy.

Victory 2: AiAi runs in his ball before ejecting himself with a triumphant fist pump.

Victory 3: AiAi watches in awe as a glowing banana descends from the sky. He starts clapping and cheering as it slowly rotates around him.

Victory theme: ~ WORLD CLEAR! ~ (Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD)

In singles, AiAi finishes all of his victory animations by teleporting away in a beam of light as he spins to the sky. In doubles, he’ll stay on the victory screen.

Job 107:
AiAi Moveset:

AiAi could be All-around Lightweight character, who could be fast on Ground, but slow in Aerial Mobility due to fact that he Fights inside the Ball and he has a Gimmick mechanic, where AiAi has Ball Armor, where he could divide damage (one half damages him, while second half deals damage to Ball, which he can resist strong attacks), but if it breaks, AiAi becomes vulnerable for all attacks, which it could be his strong weakness (It's like Achilles' Foot for AiAi) and it could result a Strong KO for him. Some attacks can't be made by Ball form or Without Ball form. He doesn't have any additional movement options.

Now to his Attacks:
Jab: AiAi punches with 2 jabs through Ball, which it pushes the Ball by bit and it can knockback opponent little bit. He can perform this move without Ball.
Dash attack: AiAi rolls for short distance with small damage. He can't do this move while being without Ball.
Side Tilt: AiAi grows Tail and smacks opponent with tail like a whip. This move can be made by Without Ball Form. While in Ball, AiAi bumps into opponent with normal Damage.
Up Tilt: AiAi does a Monke Flip and sprinss his legs upwards without Ball Form, with it gives normal damage. While in Ball, he bumps in air with normal Damage.
Down Tilt: AiAi thumps into Ground while being in the Ball. Without Ball, he does a Sweep Kick.

Side Smash: AiAi summons Boxing Glove from nowhere and punches the opponent into Oblivion with Great Damage.
Up Smash: AiAi summons seesaw and stomps on it, launching opponent in the air.
Down Smash: AiAi summons mallet and whacks it on ground, resulting high damage Shockwave.

N. Aerial: AiAi does a mid-air Cartwheel with medium damage. This move can be performed by without Ball Form.
F. Aerial: AiAi does a kick in Ball, which it bumps in Air. This move can be also done without Ball.
Back Aerial: AiAi does the same version of Forward Aerial Attack, but in back.
Up Aerial: AiAi Swings mallet over him and sends opponent in air. This move can be also done without Ball.
Down Aerial: AiAi does a stomp in Ball, which it bumps downwards. It can Spike opponents and it can be also done without Ball.

Grab: AiAi grabs with Monkey hand.
Pummel: AiAi headbutts the Opponent.
Forward throw: AiAi throws opponent like a Banana peel.
Back throw: AiAi covers himself (Despite being in Ball) and sudden Punching glove punches the opponent backwards.
Up throw: AiAi summons a platform that lifts the opponent drastically in air and the opponent falls from it with great damage.
Down Throw: AiAi slams the opponent on ground and jumps on it with brutal Force, while this move can be done with Ball and Without Ball.

Neutral special: Fruit Throw - AiAi throws Rolling Melons and Bananas, who give normal damage, but they have some purposes like Banana can act like Diddy's Down B and Melon can act like Barrel. This move can be performed by both 2 forms.
Side Special: Mallet swing - AiAi Swings his mallet in front of him, sending opponents forwards. This move can reflect Projectiles.
Up Special: Balloon - AiAi summons balloon and lifts him up into air air 5 seconds. This balloon can be Popped and it can cause him to Freefall.
Down Special: Ball on Fire - AiAi's Ball becomes on Fire and he burns up Opponents while having contact with them. While walking, AiAi leaves a trail of Fire behind him.
Down Special (Without Ball): Ball reform - AiAi reforms the Ball around him and he has Super Armor around him while regenerating his Ball.

Allstar Move: Deadly Monkey Ball Course - AiAi (With Ball or Without Ball) rushes at 2 opponents and sends them to cutscene, where 2 Foes are rolling through hardest course in Ball and AiAi hijacks it, resulting craziness and at the end of Course, they fall off, resulting KO to opponents, ending AiAi's Allstar Move.

Other Aesthetics:
Design:
Design is Based on Banana Mania Incarnation, which he could have Aesthetics taken from MB: Banana Mania, which is Monkey ball's recent game and he could bring fans here to game.
His artwork pose resembles his Pose from European BoxArt of Super Monkey Ball Adventure (You Recognize the Box Art of AiAi looking badass).

Up Taunt: AiAi does a jumping pose resembling Artworks of AiAi
Side Taunt: AiAi notices Memes coming from Behind and he kisses her.
Down Taunt: AiAi does his Dance.

Stage Intro: AiAi rolls on Monkey Course slide with Ball and Lands on ground, preparing for Battle.

Alternate Costumes:
1. Default (Banana Mania)
2. GonGon
3. MeeMee
4. Baby
5. Classic AiAi
6. Future AiAi
7. C-AiAi
8. Pirate AiAi

Victory theme: Short fragment of Super Monkey Ball theme.
Victory Poses:
1. AiAi runs towards screen like in Super Monkey Ball Adventure PAL Box Art, accidentally bumping into camera.
2. AiAi rolls in any direction and ejects from it and after that, he does a Jumping Pose.
3. AiAi flexes on His Car from Sonic and Sega Allstars Racing, where he eats Banana and looks at the Screen with his iconic expression and waves at camera.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job 108: Monkey Target

Monkey-Target-stage.png

A simple stage consisting of three 'target' platforms atop the ocean (note this stage is usually side on, this is just a visual representation of the layout).

As the fighters battle it out on these fairly straight forward platforms, MeeMee, GonGon, Baby, Doctor and YanYan will fall out of the sky attempting to rack up points. Being underneath where they land will cause damage depending on which ape lands on you with Baby causing the least damage and GonGon crushing you.

Occasionally a wheel will appear above the stages that can be attacked to spin:

Spinwheel.png

10 coins: 10 HP heal.
Banana: 50 HP heal
Star: All-Star Bar increases
Spike Ball: Spiked balls will fall from the sky on the target the spinner is standing on.
Bombs: Bombs will fall from the sky on the target the spinner is standing on.
Clouds: A fog appears atop the target the spinner is on.

These stage hazards can be turned off, although falling into the water will cause you to temporarily splash around before sinking depending on your characters swimming ability (Sonic almost insta-drowning as an example)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #108: Exam-C

1638173059456.png

Exam-C appears as a series of soft platforms with a very small hard platform in the middle of the stage and plenty of room to fall or get knocked away to your doom. In Monkey Ball games, it's an expert floor and infamously one of the hardest levels in the entire franchise as you need to make your way through some very thin roads with high speed and precision. This sense of danger and urgency is replicated here, as it's hard to roll, air-dash and run away from other players, which causes the stage to reward finishing off other players before they can do the same.

Visual-wise, it floats above a nighttime city covered with lights, with a late night diner constantly in the background.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Another month, another time for me to contribute to the Sega art gallery.

EDD46919-A0FC-4CD5-88B7-7BCF0A6A7FF9.png

Raidou vs Demi-Fiend
Series: Shin Megami Tensei/Devil Summoner
Origin: Boxart for the Japan exclusive limited edition release of Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon. This release also included the Maniax Chronicle Edition of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, which was the version that replaced Dante with Raidou. This version of Nocturne would not release outside of Japan until the HD Remaster included its content by default.

4BE9383D-CF8E-4164-82F7-2F88AE747165.jpeg

Monkey Adventure (I couldn’t find a clean version of this artwork so just pretend the logos aren’t there)
Series: Super Monkey Ball
Origin: European box art for Super Monkey Ball Adventure. ngl the main reason I’m submitting this one is because the imagery of Aiai running towards the camera while doing the DreamWorks face is absolutely sending me and we need to make it a part of this project’s canon.

81852E8B-1841-4ECA-BA93-A66E2AE72D47.jpeg

Umbra Witch Showdown
Series: Bayonetta
Origin: Promotional artwork done by Mari Shimazaki, Bayonetta’s original character designer, in commemoration of the PC port’s release.

Last edited:
Top Bottom