• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Well uhhhhhhh, I tried to drum up some more item votes but that didn't work out so might as well just finish it now:

Original:
Periscope: 3 points
SEGA Snacks: 1 point
Glove: 1 point

Sonic:
Power Sneakers: 1 point
Invincible Barrier: 3 points
Wisp Capsule: 1 point

Periscope and the Invincible Barrier will be our first items!

-Collectable submissions are still going for one more day. Y'all still have some time.

In addition...

Job #15: Submit a moveset for Alex Kidd

Aw yeah, it's finally time - we're about to cover SEGA's....third mascot and the current oldest character in this roster. You know the drill by now when it comes to the format. Let's rock-paper-scissors this thread!

And I reeeeeeeeeally gotta stress that the collectable job is still open, cause I've noticed that whenever I pull up a new job but the previous one is still going, the previous one pretty much gets nothing from then on, so. Again. It's still open, guys

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #15: Alex Kidd Moveset

General Playstyle:
Compared to Sonic, Alex is an all-rounder character with the size around Ness and Mario's, average dash speed, high jumps and fast air/fall speed. Most of his moves has great knockback power and high damage output, despite lacking range due to his size.

Alex can also crawl like he does in The Enchanted Castle and has a solid projectile that helps him in zoning and comboing. However, his weaknesses are low combo potential and his relatively light weight, which means he can be launched with ease.

For dodges, a normal/perfect shield and air dashes, Alex uses the Teleport Powder, Magic Capsule B, Telepathy Ball and Psychic Wand (as a hover-board like in the upcoming remake) respectively.

Notable Normals: Alex's jab/neutral attack is his trademark punch, which can be spammed. His neutral and down airs are his aerial kick and pogo stick in The Enchanted Castle. His smashes involve using hand gestures. His side tilt and forward air has him using his sword from Shinobi World to slash downwards in-front of him, able to deflect projectiles. His dash attack would also involve him turning himself into a fireball and rushing forward.

Specials:
Neutral Special:
Power Bracelet - Alex performs a punch, shooting a yellow shockwave forward. The projectile covers a long range and disappears once it hits an opponent. It can be used as a decent edge-guard and combo tool thanks to its high damage output, despite having ending lag.
Side Special: Sukopako Motorcycle - Alex summons his motorcycle and rides around the stage, damaging opponents in his path. He can slightly hop into the air with it and also dismount by jumping off of it. Works similar to Wario's bike in Smash, except that it's faster and lighter.
Up Special: Peticopter - Alex summons a big red, spherical helicopter that he can control for a short amount of time. Pressing the special button will make him pedal to travel both horizontally and vertically with a control stick, while pressing faster will make a copter travel further. He can also shoot small projectiles by pressing the attack button. However, if the helicopter is hit a couple of times, Alex will fall from it and become completely vulnerable.
Down Special: Janken - Alex starts shaking his closed fist and a thinking bubble pops up at the top of his head, indicating three different hand gestures. After selecting a hand gesture, Alex will shoot a projectile with unique properties each.
  • Rock: The hardest hitting, yet slowest projectile, which can deal an excellent amount of damage and break shields if it lands on an opponent. However, it can be dodged very easily.
  • Scissors: The weakest and fastest projectile, which deals minimal damage and can be used as a gimp/edge-guard tool.
  • Paper: A projectile that deals a moderate amount of damage and can block some projectiles. Cannot be reflected.
All-Star Move: Jan-Ken-Pon! - Alex mounts his motorcycle and quickly drives at insane speeds. If the attack connects, a cutscene plays where Alex is seen playing a Janken match against an opponent, he then wins the match and a giant anvil falls from above, crushing the opponent. However, the All-Star Move can only attack a single opponent.

Entrance Animation: Alex drives into the stage with the Sukopako Motorcycle and jumps out of it just before it hits a red rock, disappearing in a puff of smoke.

Taunts:
-Taunt 1: Alex looks at the screen and does a peace sign, referencing title screens of Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle and BMX Trial.
-Taunt 2: Alex says "Let's play!" as he holds his palm flat and hits his fist against it three times.
-Taunt 3: Alex drops a Magic Capsule A and four smaller versions of him (represented as retro 8-bit sprites) start walking around him before they disappear.

Victory Animations:
-Victory 1: Alex jumps into the air in victory and then sits down on the ground, cheerfully eating either a riceball/onigiri or a hamburger. References to what he does in the map screen of Alex Kidd in Miracle World.
-Victory 2: Alex runs on-screen and grabs a hovering Miracle Ball. With a wide smile, he looks at the camera and exclaims "I found the Miracle Ball!" as a random Aries constellation symbol flashes within the orb. Based on Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars.
-Victory 3: Alex walks towards the screen and stops, placing one hand on his hip and rubs his nose with a finger, snickering and saying "Make way for the Shellcore master!" as he pumps his fist and shows hand gestures (paper/scissors/rock), ending with a pose as he holds his fist high.

Palette Swaps:
1. Brown hair, red/yellow jumpsuit, yellow scarf, blue shoes (Miracle World DX)
2. Dark brown hair, blue/yellow jumpsuit, red scarf, yellow shoes (Igul/Egle)
3. Brown hair, purple/yellow jumpsuit, brown scarf, yellow shoes (Stella)
4. Gray hair, orange skin, black/gray jumpsuit, brown boots, white scarf (Janken the Great)
5. Yellow hair, white/red jumpsuit, white scarf, blue shoes (Miracle World boxart)
6. Red jumpsuit, white sleeves, blue boots, no scarf (original/classic Miracle World)
7. Red/yellow jumpsuit, yellow boots, no scarf (Enchanted Castle/Sega All-Stars Racing)
8. Red hair, black ninja suit, blue shirt, white boots (Shinobi World)

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #14: Action Figures
(Might edit in picture, on phone and data sucks)
Action Figures would be like Smash Bros trophies, with the notable distinction that by pressing a certain button viewing the figure you can move joints on the figure to pose them anyway possible.
Another thing these figures can do is hold other objects (i.e. giving Sonic a Grafitti-Can Beat would carry) or certain accessories (i.e. Giving Sonic the Persona Gag Glasses).

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
What I really like about our current roster is the representation.

Despite only being small at current we have Sonic covering fandom in North America(where the Genesis did best), Akira Yuki covering Japan (where Virtua Fighter was a huge deal on the Sega Saturn and Arcade units), Kiryu representing modern SEGA really nicely and Alex Kidd who was a lot more successful in Europe, Brazil and Oceania thanks to the Master System's success in these regions.

Job 15: Alex Kidd Moveset

Basic Playstyle:
Alex Kidd, as the resident Rock Paper Scissors champion excels at countering his opponents.
He is a shoto archetype fighter thanks to his Power Bracelet special and 'Shellcore' style fighting moves which allow him to expand the size of his punches and kicks.

Alex has strong basic attacks, high jump, low stamina(he only had 1 HP in the original game), average weight, above average ground speed, fast air speed and fast falling stats.

Gameplay wise, Alex has only above average ground speed, but very fast Air Speed encouraging players to take insane leaps. If you've ever played Miracle World you know exactly how wild and erratic that jump can be. As a result he has one of the best basic jumps in the game.

Alex is a decent swimmer, and thus takes considerably longer than Sonic to drown. He cannot wall jump. He has no sliding ground move unlike Sonic, but his punches and kicks can counter sliding moves thanks to his short stature, and giant fists.

Whilst he couldn't crouch/crawl in Miracle World, Enchanted Castle added this feature so Alex is capable of crawling.

Alex's Basic moves:
Alex's basic moves of course consist of enlarged punches and kicks. Alex's jabs have high priority but short range, even with his Shellcore abilities due to his stubby arms.

Alex's dodge is the oddly named 'Teleport Powder' a mysterious powder from Miracle World that makes Alex briefly intangible. The item appears above his head when he uses it. Alex can attack during the last few invincible frames allowing him to perform a counter attack of sorts on his opponent, but the trade off is he has the longest dodge cooldown in the game.

His shield is 'Magic Capsule B', a shield item from Miracle World. Alex cannot attack during this.

Special attacks:
Alex-Basic.png

Neutral Special: Power Bracelet
Alex Kidd fires a blast from his fists. This blast travels horizontally. It has great range and can interrupt most attacks(sans Akira who will just muscle through if in the middle of one of his specials), but average knock back, speed and power, and will only fly in a straight horizontal line from where it was unleashed. The cooldown for this attack is about the same as Mario's fireball in Ultimate to prevent too much spamming.

Down Special: Telepathy Ball
A counter. With this, Alex Kidd can read the minds of his opponent and counter them with a Shellcored punch, palm strike, or scissor stab. It's random which you'll do but they all do the same basic damage and knock back so it's largely just an aesthetical difference. The telltale sign for this move being performed is a blank thought bubble appears above Alex's head.

Side Special: Spinning Fire Ball Shoot
A move from Alex Kidd in Shinobi World. For this, Alex will grab onto a pole that appears, and spin around it building up speed before launching himself forwards as a powerful ignited fireball with his enlarged fists outstretched.
Anyone caught it the build up spin will take very mild damage and knock back, but this special can be interrupted at this point. Once unleashed it deals great damage and can be slightly angled. This move has high priority upon the shoot forward.

Up Special: Psychic Wand
This item gives Alex Kidd brief psychokinesis allowing him temporarily levitation. It doesn't last very long but can cover a great distance and any angle. This move does no damage whatsoever to opponents but grants Alex some armoured frames as he performs this.

All Star Move: JankenPON
I've illustrated this one to help demonstrate the action(please ignore the slight error on panel 2, I've only just noticed. The 'fighters' profiles are just concept, we'll probably decide all that stuff later)

Alex-Kidd-All-Star-full.png

Alex releases 'Capsule A' creating 8 mini retro sprite Alex Kidd's to swarm towards the opponent as the Capsule A item (essentially) did in Miracle World. If any of the eight manage to snag the opponent, the All Star Move activates.

As the retro sprites hold the opponent down, Alex throws out his palm striking the opponent skywards with his enlarged hand “JAN”
He throws out 'scissors' hitting the opponent in the face with his giant fingers “KEN!” causing them to spin rapidly and helplessly.
He then brings his giant fist out, slamming it into the opponent “PON!” punching them into the horizon with great force.

If the opponent has any remaining health left after this attack they go soaring into the distance, and can smash into any other unlucky foes who happen to get caught in the crossfire.

If the opponent has 0HP left, they are turned into a sparkle in the distance, Alex gives the peace sign and whips out a riceball and their 'render' is seen in sky with a fade.

The move can be flubbed if the opponents evade all eight mini Alex Kidds, but this is quite tricky at close range, especially since one rides the bike forwards!

Misc:
Entrance animation: Alex flies his Peticoptor before crashing into a red rock levitating in the air, destroying his vehicle and falling down onto the stage to continue the fight.

Idle animation: Alex stands around before lowering his fists. A little thought bubble that swaps between 'Rock' 'Paper' and 'Scissors' each second appears above him. If left for ten seconds, the thought bubble will change to a riceball or a hamburger as his thoughts change to food.

Taunts:
Taunt 1:
Alex eats a rice ball. Every two times he performs this taunt it becomes a hamburger, referencing the NTSC/PAL releases.
Taunt 2: Alex throws a Rock, Paper or Scissors at random. Two Alex Kidd players can challenge each other to a game mid battle if they like.
Taunt 3: Alex turns to stone. He smashes out of the stone casing moments later. Reference to both Missing Stars and Miracle World, where he can be petrified in the former, but is the only person unaffected by Janken the Great's magic in the latter.

Victory Animations:
Victory animation 1:
Alex speeds off on his Sukopako Motorcycle, smashing through bricks as he does so. He turns to the camera and gives a peace/scissors sign.
Victory animation 2: Alex jumps into his Peticoptor, his peddle based helicoptor, waving cheerfully as it flies through the sky, shooting bullets.
Victory animation 3: Alex chows down on a rice ball/hamburger frantically.

2nd Place animation: Alex looks at his fist a little downheartedly, before slapping his cheeks and turning to cheer on the winner.

3rd Place animation: Alex looks shocked, and a weight from Enchanted Castle falls atop him. He lifts it off and throws it to the side, breathing heavily.

4th Place -7th Place animation: Alex has the weight fall on his head, and cannot lift it. It gains his eyes, as his feet appear below to scurry around.

8th Place animation: Same as above, but Alex's soul rises from the weight as he shakes his head disappointed in himself.

Palettes:
Alex-Kidd-Palette-Swaps.png

Alex Kidd's palettes:
1. DX version.
For this I like Alex Kidd's DX look a lot more than...well some of his designs over the years so I've made that his standard look.
2. Original Miracle World Sprite.
3. Western Boxart.
Awful art of Alex. Master System had some truly horrendous boxart, but makes for a surprisingly good colour palette.
4. Sonic and Sega All Star Racing. Alex's Modern look pre DX.
5. Sonic and Sega All Star Raciing Transformed. His colour palette for this game was made to make him look more like Santa due to being released on Christmas Day as a free gift to all players.
6. Alex Kidd in Shinobi World Boxart. Better than Miracle World's for sure. Made him a red head for some reason.
7. Stella, the player 2 character from Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars...at least in the arcade. Stella never appeared again in the Alex Kidd titles, but she was very briefly Alex's Luigi. She's playable currently in the new Astro City Mini Arcade providing you have two controllers. Appeared in Archie's Sonic comics alongside Alex.
8. Son Goku. Yep. Turns out Alex Kidd in Miracle World was originally going to be a DRAGONBALL game, but Sega lost the license half way through production and had to adjust accordingly. Reminds me of how Mario came about via Popeye. Thought it'd be a neat reference to Alex Kidd's history.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
A few other bits I've done in the meantime.

I know there's no guarantee of the Miracle World DX version being the chosen Alex Kidd look, and Kiryu's defaults haven't been decided on yet but I thought this could be useful for the OP and I can always edit them afterwards should different designs be picked. I'll update it as we decide on more fighters and assists. May have to bare with me with some of the more complicated looking cast members.

Initial-Roster---Battle-of-Ages.png

(I haven't put a limit on the assists as they're theoretically limitless.)

Any suggestions for the layout of the roster would be appreciated too.

Would everyone prefer it in order of series like most Smash Bros. games, by 'Fighter Number' like Ultimate (aka the time we added them) or something else like the characters debut date?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
A few other bits I've done in the meantime.

I know there's no guarantee of the Miracle World DX version being the chosen Alex Kidd look, and Kiryu's defaults haven't been decided on yet but I thought this could be useful for the OP and I can always edit them afterwards should different designs be picked. I'll update it as we decide on more fighters and assists. May have to bare with me with some of the more complicated looking cast members.

View attachment 313750
(I haven't put a limit on the assists as they're theoretically limitless.)

Any suggestions for the layout of the roster would be appreciated too.

Would everyone prefer it in order of series like most Smash Bros. games, by 'Fighter Number' like Ultimate (aka the time we added them) or something else like the characters debut date?
First of all: These reference pictures look amazing! Both the roster and Alex's Final Smash. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

For the roster layout, I was thinking maybe we can take advantage of the 35-character roster and make it a 6*6 square along with the random button? Not sure how we'll order the fighters but I don't think fighter numbers make much sense, given this is the first entry and some franchises will get multiple characters. Maybe something like Brawl's order would be more suited, where characters were grouped together by series and vaguely related themes.

Also, this reminds me that maybe we should decide on a number for Assist characters before adding any more.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Also, this reminds me that maybe we should decide on a number for Assist characters before adding any more.
OK uh

This is complicated

So basically, what I was planning is Sonic gets 2 assists cause it's da special boi, and then every other series in the playable roster gets 1. So we have 35 characters, subtracting the 3 additional Sonic reps, 2 additional Virtua Fighter reps and 3 other additional series reps we'll vote on later, that's 27 series, adding in the extra Sonic assist, that would make 28 assists! EZPZ, right?

But here's the thing.

First off, ya gotta factor in that we do also have to add in some "misc." assists. SEGA has an absolute truckload of IPs, and this would be our chance to get in some more characters that either come from smaller games or just aren't that cut-out for a playable slot, so I also have to decide on a number for that.

And then comes the additional problem that there's a good chance that not every playable series is getting an assist, technically. We do have to account for the event in that we add stuff like:

-"general SEGA history" reps (i.e. Segata Sanshiro)
-Characters from games with really small casts (I mean "almost no characters besides the main character" small), usually older/more arcadey titles (i.e. the Bonanza Bros.)
-Outright "WTF picks" (i.e. Hornet)

So it's a case-by-case basis, maybe we can figure something out with some of the games that would fall under one of these umbrellas, but generally these kinds of characters don't lend themselves super well to having an Assist so, depending on how things go, we may have to shorten the assist number a bit.

So back to the misc. assists, uhhhhhhh, Brawl - the first Smash to have Assist Trophies - had 14 "misc." assists, but this is our first game period in this hypothetical series, so let's go more lowkey and cut that number in half, which would land us with 7 "misc." assists.

So after all this crazy ****, I have managed to determine that we'll have, at most, 35 assists (potentially subject to decrease depending on some of the characters we might pick up along the way). Which is a nice number cause it's the same as the playable cast.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job 14: A collectable.

This is an addition to whatever collectable ends up winning more than it's own thing.

Osby mentioned the idea of a Chao garden, which made me think it'd be nice to have something additional from our collectables that would work with that idea. VMU RPG, based around the old VMU virtual pet games on the Dreamcast.

The basic idea is after unlocking a statue/gacha/action figure complete with flavour text, for fighter and assist characters, you'd obtain a sprite, which is usable in a mini game.

In this mini VMU RPG game, you'll take up to four of your sprites and battle famous SEGA minions to obtain fruit and other consumable goods for you to help raise your Chao.

This can also be set to auto play, allowing a similar scenario to the Expeditions Spirits in Ultimate can go on if you'd rather stay hands off, although doing the battles yourself will reap better rewards, and make sure none of your sprites accidentally get KO'd during their adventure.

VMU-sample-1.png
VMU-sample-2.png

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job 14: A collectable.

This is an addition to whatever collectable ends up winning more than it's own thing.

Osby mentioned the idea of a Chao garden, which made me think it'd be nice to have something additional from our collectables that would work with that idea. VMU RPG, based around the old VMU virtual pet games on the Dreamcast.

The basic idea is after unlocking a statue/gacha/action figure complete with flavour text, for fighter and assist characters, you'd obtain a sprite, which is usable in a mini game.

In this mini VMU RPG game, you'll take up to four of your sprites and battle famous SEGA minions to obtain fruit and other consumable goods for you to help raise your Chao.

This can also be set to auto play, allowing a similar scenario to the Expeditions Spirits in Ultimate can go on if you'd rather stay hands off, although doing the battles yourself will reap better rewards, and make sure none of your sprites accidentally get KO'd during their adventure.

View attachment 313769View attachment 313770
This is a really good idea, so I'm inclined to just put it in in addition to whatever collectable wins.
Few things to note:

-If this is added in, we could do submission rounds on which enemies to include in the future

-A future plan I had was putting together a sort of "draft" of the modes I'd consider to be safe/obvious additions, ask for some feedback, and then establish it so that we can get to the interesting stuff right away once we start doing mode submissions. If we get this in, then that sorta incentivizes me to pull the "draft" out a bit sooner than intended.

However, I might have to take a step back on the Chao Garden connection cause at that point we're just on a slippery slope of adding modes. How about we put it this way: the mode just gives you rewards in general, and if we eventually vote Chao Garden in, we can include food for your Chao in that umbrella. How's that sound?

With that said, I've decided to settle this with a strawpoll:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, finished my Alex moveset. I don't think I did a great job at finding enough references to his origin games but it was fun designing him as an all-rounder fighter.

Alex Kidd (Alex Kidd)

Moveset:

General playstyle:

Alex Kidd fights with Shellcore, a type of martial arts that allows the user the shatter rocks with their bare punches and kicks. Hence, he’ll playstyle will focus on strong normal attacks that are balanced with his usually short reach (at least when his fists don’t enlarge). As Akira is a slow, methodical fighter and Sonic is a lightweight speedster; Alex plays as this game’s Mario or Ryu: His gameplay is simple, yet effective and suitable for beginners. As he comes from a platforming game, he has overall decent mobility. While he can overwhelm the opponents with his quicker attacks, he’ll need to plan his slower ones better and predict other players’ moves: similar to a rock-paper-scissors battle.

Notable normal attacks: Most of Alex’s move set uses his hands, with a good amount of kicks thrown in for good measure. A few of his attacks have a rock–paper–scissors theme: He can attack with fists, chops or finger pokes, which respectively have hit, slash and stab effects/sounds. His forward smash can be angled in three directions which gives it different properties: punch for regular, chop for upwards angle, and double poke for downward angle.

Specials moves:

Neutral Special: Power Bracelet. Alex releases a shock wave that travels in a straight line. It moves fast, but a bit slow to come out. A simple projectile that’s useful in most situations. It is programmed to shatter most breakable objects in one hit.

Side Special: Sukopako Motorcycle. Alex gets on his bike and starts riding it. Alex can zip around the stage quickly with it, hit the opponents, and even jump but colliding with a strong enough attack breaks it and leaves him wide open. It accelerates by pressing forward and brakes by pressing back.

If Alex uses his side special in the water, it will become Suisui Boat. It operates much in the same way as the Sukopako Motorcycle but glides on the water surface.

Down Special: Psychic Wand. Alex swings a staff in front of him which reflects any projectile back. This was originally a recovery move but I figured I’d take some artistic liberties with it. If anyone is hit with the staff during the start-up will be sent back with set knockback, allowing for niche combo set-ups.

Up Special: Pogo Stick. Alex equips a pogo stick and jumps a great distance after some wind-up. This attack has invincibility while it starts going up so it’s great against countering opponents attacking from the air. However, its horizontal recovery potential is nothing impressive.

All-Star Move: Peticopter. Alex calls upon a small, pedal-powered helicopter. While his All-Star Move is active, Alex can fly and shoot damaging projectiles at his opponents with the attack button. Think of Yoshi’s old Final Smash, with weaker and faster projectile attacks. The special button will make him send slow-moving, bigger, and stronger projectiles in the shape of rock-paper-scissors from his hands.

Aesthetics: Alex is based on his remake design, with more detailed textures on his hair and clothes while still keeping his design colorful and cartoony. His color palettes are based on his various game and crossover appearances along with some side characters in his games such as Stella. He is voiced by Kikuko Inoue in Japanese and Julissa Aguirre in English.

Entrance animation:
Alex breaks a block in front of him, punches in front of himself twice, and takes his idle pose.

Taunts:

Taunt 1: Alex pulls out a rice ball before munching on it.

Taunt 2: Alex shakes his fist thrice before randomly making a rock, paper, or scissors sign.

Taunt 3: Alex does a serious martial art pose without chuckling and breaking the effect.

Victory Animations:

Victory 1: Alex enters the camera’s view with a flying kick, and throws a few punches.

Victory 2: Alex jumps and catches a gold crown before grinning and spinning it on his finger.

Victory 3: Alex does a few wheel tricks on his Sukopako bike before flashing a victory sign.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
And collectable votes are closed! Vote for your one pick - and it can't be your own:

Toy Capsules ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Statues ( osby osby )
Action Figures ( CheeseAnton CheeseAnton )

Votes on VMU RPG are going for another day to coincide with the end of this vote - the poll is a couple posts above, you still have time to vote on that.

After this whole shebang is wrapped up, our next jobs will be a Virtua Fighter assist and Alex Kidd stage, so get your asses ready for that!

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is a hard decision but I'm voting for action figures. Giving characters silly objects and accessories sound like a really fun concept.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The idea of the action figures having just a little more utility than Nintendo's Smash trophies seems like a very SEGA thing to do.

I'm voting for that. It sounds very dynamic with the ability to pose them with accessories.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I also vote for Toy Capsules, especially if "first appearance" is also added to fit with "date".

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Well, we're at a tie. So head on out to this strawpoll to decide!

In addition, it's been decided that VMU RPG will accompany whichever collectable wins!

One last thing: seeing the results of the collectable voting, I feel like I need to mention I've noticed that as of late, voting turnout has been really low. And I don't want to pressure y'all too much, but I do want to encourage some of you guys to come in and vote some more. It ain't that hard

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, maybe we can do permanently open nominations for stuff like "miscellaneous SEGA collectibles" or "VMU RPG mooks" once we are done with this voting.

There have been a few long periods of silence between nominations and votings since we started and a job like this could help people step in more often. Plus, there hasn't been much opportunity to talk about the SEGA series other than the four main ones so far. An opportunity to change the subject once in a while could be a helpful way to allow users to have more input when they have not anything else to say on the current topic.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
You know, maybe we can do permanently open nominations for stuff like "miscellaneous SEGA collectibles" or "VMU RPG mooks" once we are done with this voting.

There have been a few long periods of silence between nominations and votings since we started and a job like this could help people step in more often. Plus, there hasn't been much opportunity to talk about the SEGA series other than the four main ones so far. An opportunity to change the subject once in a while could be a helpful way to allow users to have more input when they have not anything else to say on the current topic.
That's a good idea

Toy capsules are something I'll have to think about a bit more, but for VMU RPG enemies, I actually was planning on approaching submission rounds for them as instead of this and that specific requirement and a whole voting process and whatnot, you could submit literally any SEGA mook and I'd just add them in, so we'll probably just do that

But speaking of toy capsules...the votes have come in and they will be our main collectable!

Anotha one: Moveset submissions for Alex Kidd are closed! Please vote for your one pick, and it can't be your own:

tonygameman tonygameman 's Moveset
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 's Moveset
osby osby 's Moveset

ONE LAST THING:

Job #16: Submit a Virtua Fighter assist

Before we get to the other Alex Kidd stuff, let's mix it up a little and go back to Virtua Fighter for a second.

Keep in mind that we still have 2 more Virtua Fighter reps left and this will deconfirm whoever wins. So it's probably best to avoid the stronger candidates for additional VF reps and focus on characters you don't really see being among these 3

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Voting:
Yoshiandtoads Moveset

---------------------------------

Job 16

Kage-Maru

He will walk around stage performing his puch and kick moves and occasionally using a special move.

He can use any of these 3
Hagaryu - He will spin horizontally and kick an opponent multiple times
Fujinrenkyaku - He will jump and kick an opponent twice with his knees
Izuna Otoshi - He will Grab an opponent and throw them upwards and then jumps up and drops them to the ground.

Kage is one of the stronger cadidates for a Virtua Fighter rep, But I'm biased when it comes to VF.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Voting Tonygameman's moveset based on a coin flip due to not being able to pick between the two.

Job 16: Virtua Fighter Assist

With Kage-Maru already being suggested above, and Akira Yuki being the no brainer mascot, I thought I'd suggest the only other person other than those two to ever canonically emerge victorious in the Virtua Fighter tournament, as I have a feeling there's a few other very popular characters who people may want to have as the second and third VF fighters including the Byrant siblings Sarah and Jacky, Lau's daughter Pai and maybe even one of the J6 group.

lau-chan-virtuafighter1-artwork.png

Lau appears with a fiery wok when summoned being the incredibly skilled chef and martial artist he is. He shakes it up, cooking something as he does so, whilst simultaneously making his way towards the opponent, performing the following moves:

A Ko'en Senshi(a double flying kick where Lau usually puts his hands behind his back to perform it) into a Rigou Sensou (kicking the target in the side, before performing a low kick to trip them over), sweeping the opponent off their feet.
He finishes the opponent with a Kosou Raishu, a move where he jumps and stomps down hard on a floored fighter, standing on them as he finishes his cooking finally.

With the meal completed, he tosses it towards the summoner to heal a small percentage of their health, before vanishing.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm voting for Yoshiandtoad's moveset. I'll tell you, it wasn't an easy decision, both nominations blew mine out of the water.

I want to make some mob suggestions when I'm less busy so for now, here's my Virtua Fighter assist character suggestion:

Job #16: El Blaze

imageedit_2_4888789712.png

El Blaze is a Pro Wrestler from Mexico who fights with Lucha Libre. He first appeared in Virtua Fighter 5 and therefore one of the newer addition to the series. Thanks to his quick wrestling moves, El Blaze got so good at the light-heavyweight division that J6 judges were impressed by him and invited him to the Fifth World Fighting Tournament. Jealous of the veteran VF wrestler Wolf Hawkfield’s success in the heavyweight division, he joined to the tournament in order to prove himself.

When summoned, El Blaze roars exaggeratedly and says “Start running...NOW!” or “This is for real. Say your prayers!” and starts moving. El Blaze travels through the stage mainly with his Zero-G Flight (an impossibly high flip through the air) and Rocket Discharge (a low run that can dodge most aerial attacks) to target other characters. El Blaze can do two moves depending on whether an opponent is standing behind or in front of him.

If an enemy is in front of him, El Blaze uses Shooting Star Press where he throws a few punches, knocks the opponent down with a leg sweep and he jumps to the air and slams on them after a flip when they’re down. If the enemy is behind him, he’ll instead use Poison Mist, in which he turns and (…somehow) blows a mid-ranged green spray from his mouth over his shoulder. This attack poisons the opponents for a brief time. If he comes across a wall, he can backflip and stick to it for a short while with Momentary Touchdown. From there, he will attack with a dropkick if an enemy gets close. El Blaze always taunts after a successful knockdown or right before leaving, fitting to his heel role, by yelling “I am the ultimate!” or “My body is an unstoppable... weapon!”

I chose El Blaze because Kage was already picked, I think he’s one of the more colorful characters in Virtua Fighter despite his limited importance and would be a nice contrast to the veteran playable characters like Akira.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Voting YoshiandToad's moveset since I was a bit jealous by artwork alone (felt I'm going to lose) and cannot vote mine, to be honest. You earned this one for me, buddy.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll admit, one of the VF assist ideas I had was Shun but I wasn't sure if him getting drunk on-screen in from of characters like Sonic was okay, lol.

Virtua Fighter has some weird characters considering how grounded it usually is.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
For the VMU RPG enemies, I'm putting forward the two I put in the concept as a start:
  • Motobug (Sonic the Hedgehog - 1991)
  • Signal (Streets of Rage -1991) (I erronously always thought the mook was called Y. Signal, turns out that's the YELLOW Signal variant. I feel like a dumbass. Guess the yellow ones were the ones who burnt themselves into my mind the most)
Will definitely add more as time goes on though.

So glad the VMU RPG idea was a success...now characters like Big, Rouge and whoever wins the VF assist spot still get in some sort of playable experience. My goal was to let 'Sega do what Nintendon't' for at least one thing. Heh.

Voting YoshiandToad's moveset since I was a bit jealous by artwork alone (felt I'm going to lose) and cannot vote mine, to be honest. You earned this one for me, buddy.
Thanks man. I appreciate that.

I may push less hard with artwork on future movesets after Alex Kidd(sans one of the Sonic character slots which I think I have a fun moveset idea for) but will continue with the roster artwork and probably submit one 'render' for palette swaps going forward.

...although as a head's up I've cooked up some artwork for the Alex Kidd stage round too which I think you guys should enjoy.

I'll admit, one of the VF assist ideas I had was Shun but I wasn't sure if him getting drunk on-screen in from of characters like Sonic was okay, lol.
I actually had the exact same thought on Shun before settling on Lau for my submission. I'd guess we're aiming for a 'teen' audience rating at the very most?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
...Well, since people have started putting them out there anyway, might as well make it official: Submissions for VMU RPG mooks are now open! Hopefully this can be a good way of keeping this thread more consistently active, as so far we've more or less operated between long periods of silence and then like 5-10 posts in a day. They can be from any SEGA game, just submit them and I'll add them to the list. It won't be on the OP yet as I'm waiting to share the big draft of "safe" modes before putting any modes on the OP, but as soon as that's taken care of, I'll start adding them all in.

Two things to note:

-You can submit a max of 3 mooks per post
-Try to keep your picks somewhat varied. I don't want to check in on this thread in a few hours and see nothing but Sonic mooks, for example

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll try doing a few VMU RPG mooks.

Wing Eye (Phantasy Star, 1987)
Samson/Type C-1 (The House of the Dead, 1996)
Affinity (Bayonetta, 2009)

For anyone who may not know where to start: Project X Zone and SEGA Heroes bring quite a few SEGA baddies together, so you might want to check them for starters. I tried to find mooks that weren't in those games to give myself a challenge, along with picking them from different decades.

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
VMU RPG Mooks
  1. Ryuji Goda (Yakuza 2, 2006; Yakuza needs a lot of content, so I figured why not throw in the other Dragon, The Dragon of Kansai, in as well)
  2. Tab/Corn (Jet Set Radio, 2000; Jet Set Radio is a game of high legacy and praise, and with the fact it even has 2 characters in the karting and tennis games I think it has a valid argument to make about having 2 fighters or at least a fighter and assist... But yeah, there's no way Tab is going to be involved. Tab as the 3rd member of the GG's just isn't as iconic as Beat and Gum, or as wacky to include as DJ Professor K or Captain Onishima. Tab should have at least some inclusion, so why not here?)
  3. Wein (Dragon Force, 1996; Don't know much about the game, but the lowest score it recieved on Wikipedia was an 8 out of 10, so it was probably a really good game)
Edit: Ignore, these don't work.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
VMU RPG Mooks
  1. Ryuji Goda (Yakuza 2, 2006; Yakuza needs a lot of content, so I figured why not throw in the other Dragon, The Dragon of Kansai, in as well)
  2. Tab/Corn (Jet Set Radio, 2000; Jet Set Radio is a game of high legacy and praise, and with the fact it even has 2 characters in the karting and tennis games I think it has a valid argument to make about having 2 fighters or at least a fighter and assist... But yeah, there's no way Tab is going to be involved. Tab as the 3rd member of the GG's just isn't as iconic as Beat and Gum, or as wacky to include as DJ Professor K or Captain Onishima. Tab should have at least some inclusion, so why not here?)
  3. Wein (Dragon Force, 1996; Don't know much about the game, but the lowest score it recieved on Wikipedia was an 8 out of 10, so it was probably a really good game)
I don't really like to intervene with the submissions I get unless they completely 100% miss the point of the prompt (which I wouldn't say is the case here)

But I do feel like I have to clarify that with VMU RPG mooks, I was aiming more towards regular enemies. Minions, and whatnot! Not exactly....major defined characters, some of which aren't even antagonisic

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
I don't really like to intervene with the submissions I get unless they completely 100% miss the point of the prompt (which I wouldn't say is the case here)

But I do feel like I have to clarify that with VMU RPG mooks, I was aiming more towards regular enemies. Minions, and whatnot! Not exactly....major defined characters, some of which aren't even antagonisic
Honestly, I didn't even even really know what this was about so I just submitted characters I didn't think have a chance of being an assist or fighter. I think I'm just not gonna get in the VMU RPG because for some reason it just confuses me and I'd rather focus on main game content.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
VMU RPG enemy additions:
  1. Dora (Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, 2003)
    Dora.jpg

(including a pic here because there's surprisingly no info on this game's antagonists outside the bosses. They simply bounce into your team).

2. Kircles (NiGHTS into Dreams, 1996)
  3. Kapu Kapu (ChuChu Rocket, 1999) This is the large orange cat on the box that chases the Chu Chus. Anyone who knows the game likely remembers the cat anyway :p

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Honestly, I didn't even even really know what this was about so I just submitted characters I didn't think have a chance of being an assist or fighter. I think I'm just not gonna get in the VMU RPG because for some reason it just confuses me.
OK so basically:

When we were deciding on what our main collectable would be (it wound up being Toy Capsules), YoshiandToad YoshiandToad came up with an idea for a lil' side mode, where, if the Toy Capsule you got was from either a playable fighter or an assist, they'd be available to use in your party as you engage in RPG battles with SEGA enemies to get rewards. So we were just submitting enemies to include in this mode.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Voting on Alex Kidd's moveset is closed! And we got so few votes that I'll just up and say it: it's YoshiandToad YoshiandToad . YoshiandToad's moveset wins. I prolly should just have done a poll but whatever, we learn from our mistakes.

-Virtua Fighter assist submissions are still going on for some more time. You guys still have time.

But since we're done with Alex's moveset, our next logical step would be...

Job #17: Submit an Alex Kidd stage

It's time we give this dude a home stage! Though, with the more limited material here compared to something like Sonic or VF, I do feel like I have to bring attention to the fact that A. tracklists aren't necessary to have in your submission, and B. 16 songs is just the maximum number, not the required goal. And you can pad out your tracklist with one or two "misc." SEGA tracks, provided they fit the stage

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
(I just beat Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle for the first time since I was a kid tonight. I completely forgot about that ending, wow. Alex's dad is pretty much a tyrant, huh?)

Job 17: Alex Kidd Stage

Mount Eternal

The first level of Miracle World, and counter intuitively, one of the longest in the game. Although I like Alex Kidd's DX look, I've gone for the classic game's Mount Eternal.

This stage has two real sections and one action set piece section, although I chose to end the stage where the cliff faces become sparse or else the fighters would end up in the water...which obviously doesn't end well for Sonic.

The stage has been scaled up somewhat from Miracle World to allow for multiple fighters.

Presumably items and stage hazards will be able to be turned off as an option, but the boulders and blocks would stay...just be empty of precious items or the stage hazard enemy.
Mount-Eternal-Stage-1.png

Mount-Eternal-Stage-2.png

Mount-Eternal-Stage-3.png

So I'm a fan of the way Dead or Alive has it's shifting stages. When you smack an enemy hard enough into a piece of scenery it can make the stage shift.

Here Akira and Alex demonstrate what happens when you break that upper level's boulders line. Only a heavy attack can smash an opponent through them though:

Mount-Eternal-Stage-4-break-sample.png

Mount-Eternal-Stage-5-break-sample-full.png

It's going to sting.

Alex here takes additional damage for every platform and boulder he's smashed through, so being the unlucky victim here can erase a good chunk of your life!

Lastly, stand on the pink skull block for too long(longer than 2 seconds), and you'll activate the Ghost/Grim Reaper Stage hazard. He'll chase down the person who stood on his block for too long, taking swipes at the fighter for a solid ten seconds before disappearing. One useful note is you can try and force the opponent onto said block to get them to have to deal with running from Death for that time period! Naturally unlike in the normal game it isn't a one hit kill, but he will knock 10 HP off of you per swing of his crook if he catches up.

The Ghost/Grim Reaper also can spawn in that question block in the first part of the stage, but it's a 1/3 chance of it being him, 2/3 chance of a super power up(in the form of items we'll later come up with).

Please note, the ghost is not an assist for Alex Kidd's world, but just a stage hazard exclusive here.

Mount-Eternal-Stage-6-reaper-stage-hazard.png

As for stage music, I'd actually like to wait on that for now...at least until June 24th when Miracle World DX comes out...being the massive fan I am of the monkey boy prince of Radaxian, I decided to spoil myself and go for the Collector's edition, which includes a CD with a whole heap of tracks on it.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
As for stage music, I'd actually like to wait on that for now...at least until June 24th when Miracle World DX comes out...being the massive fan I am of the monkey boy prince of Radaxian, I decided to spoil myself and go for the Collector's edition, which includes a CD with a whole heap of tracks on it.
Now that stage looks very impressive! For my head's up to you, I made a track-list considering that I enjoy finding songs more than doing original layouts for my submissions and don't know if I can post tracklists separately without a stage.
  1. Alex Kidd in Miracle World Medley (I just love this remix; Rookietown is exactly the main theme)
  2. Gooseka's Battle (Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX) (thanks, Yoshi!; originally a trailer song)
  3. Toy World & Monster World (Lost Stars)
  4. Machine World & Giant's Body
  5. World of Make Believe & Shrine of Ziggurat
  6. Water World
  7. Blackwood Forest & Cactus Desert (BMX Trial)
  8. High-Tech World Medley (Castle/Castle Room/Ninja Forest/Town)
  9. Forest & Mountain
  10. Sky Castle
  11. Kabuto (Shinobi World)
  12. The Jungle
  13. Boss Theme (Shinobi World)
  14. Main Theme (Pit Pot: The Magical Castle)
  15. Teddy Boy Blues Retro Medley (from Yoshi. Same style, Daruman enemy and a death animation)
  16. Alex Kidd Theme (Vocal Version) (wanted to save this last as we have Mitsuyoshi-san as an announcer)

Edit: It looks like some other stages has additions for my tracklist, despite a clear maximum amount being 16 songs, so I feel sorry for you people (on Splash Wave for Osby, I have a plan like weeks ago).

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Now that stage looks very impressive! For my head's up to you, I made a track-list considering that I enjoy finding songs more than doing original layouts for my submissions and don't know if I can post tracklists separately without a stage.
  1. Alex Kidd in Miracle World Medley (I just love this remix)
  2. Radaxian/Janken's Castle
  3. Toy World & Monster World (Lost Stars)
  4. Machine World & Giant's Body
  5. World of Make Believe & Shrine of Ziggurat
  6. Water World
  7. Blackwood Forest & Cactus Desert (BMX Trial)
  8. High-Tech World Medley (Castle/Castle Room/Ninja Forest/Town)
  9. Rookietown & Prairie (Enchanted Castle)
  10. Forest & Mountain
  11. Sky Castle
  12. Kabuto (Shinobi World)
  13. The Jungle
  14. Boss Theme (Shinobi World)
  15. Main Theme (Pit Pot: The Magical Castle)
  16. Alex Kidd Theme (Vocal Version) (wanted to save this last as we have Mitsuyoshi-san as an announcer)
That's a damn good tracklist right there tonygameman tonygameman . I just relistened to them all.

I didn't even know about the last track. We gotta have that!
I also really like the idea of getting Pit Pot's theme in there due to having such a direct relation with Alex. Great work!

The only track I'd definitely want from DX at this point is that fist pumping remix they used in the trailer that kicks in here at 0:22:
but other than that, I'd be really happy with this as the tracklist.

Music and tracklist gathering has always been my weakest area, so I'll take any suggestions gladly!

Top Bottom