• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Ok, so because of poll shenanigans, I'll have to scrap what I had in mind for how we'll approach our next set of jobs, so I'll have to try an alternative here:

Job 4: How will characters activate their supers?

This'll be the first in a string of gameplay-related jobs we'll be doing on the side through polls as the character and title votes go on. If the answer is one that leads to a submission round, we'll save it until after the title of the game is voted on (submissions are going for another day btw)

So here it is:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Aaaaaaand here's the results of the votes that had begun yesterday:

-First off, the strawpoll results have come in, and it's been decided that characters will activate their All-Star Moves (as I've decided to call them) through a super meter. This could get interesting - depending on the results of the next gameplay poll I have in the pipeline, this game could end up generally having a bit more of a traditional fighting game slant to it.

-Now then - krusty krab training video voice It's the moment you've all been waiting for: the votes for the rest of our starter characters have come in! If I'm not mistaken, these are the numbers:

Classic:

Arle: 8 points
Beat: 12 points
Axel Stone: 12 points
Alex Kidd: 15 points
Ryo Hazuki: literally 0 points what the ****
Sakura Shinguji: 4 points
Ristar: also 0 points
Alis: 3 points
Opa-Opa: 4 points
Ulala: 6 points

Modern:

Kiryu: 25 points
Makoto Yuki: 2 points
AiAi: 13 points
Billy Hatcher: 7 points
Claude: 1 point
Bayonetta: 3 points
Joker: 9 points
Miku: 5 points
Ichiban: 1 point

Feel free to point out any miscalculations I might have made...but even then, I think the winners should be pretty clear. And with that, our next characters will be Alex Kidd and Kazuma Kiryu!

Not a bad starting lineup at all! After the title vote and a couple more gameplay-related jobs, we'll start tackling these characters' movesets and home stages. I'll edit the OP with these new developments now. And I'll also pull up the title vote and a second gameplay strawpoll in a bit, but not right now cause I'm tired

Congrats to YoshiandToad YoshiandToad and TheThingamajigRayman TheThingamajigRayman for getting their submissions voted in!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Aaaaaaaaaand now it's time.

First off, title submissions are closed. Vote for your top 2, you can only vote for your own submission in second place, let's get on with it!

Sega All-Stars Showdown ( Otoad64 Otoad64 )
Sonic and SEGA Superstars Battle ( TheThingamajigRayman TheThingamajigRayman )
Battle of AGES ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
SEGA Fighters ( osby osby )
SEGA Showdown ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
SEGA DreamBlast ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )

I, for one, am throwing in my own vote right away:

1. SEGA DreamBlast
2. SEGA Showdown

One more thing:

Job 5: What will our KO system be?

Our KO system. Ya know, the way characters kill each other. Let's vote on it.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Well boys, the votes have come in:

-So as it's been decided, our KO system will be stamina-based! This has more of an impact than you might think: there's some interesting stuff you can do with both attacks and stage layouts when it doesn't have to revolve around getting knocked off the stage.

-And our title votes have been closed as well. Let's take a look!

SEGA All-Stars Showdown: 2 points
Sonic and SEGA Superstars Battle: 0 points
Battle of AGES: 15 points
SEGA Fighters: 1 point
SEGA Showdown: 4 points
SEGA DreamBlast: 7 points

With that, the official name of our game will be Battle of AGES! Glad it won out tbh, it's a kickass name. Congrats to Janx_uwu Janx_uwu for getting his submission voted in!

I'll push out the final couple of general gameplay jobs before we do the moveset and stage stuff in a bit - though these won't be polls.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Ah **** I almost forgot

Here they are, bois: the final general gameplay jobs for now. After these, we'll start covering our starter characters' movesets and home stages and dipping into other aspects of the game.

With that in mind...

Job #6: Submit some form of gameplay detail to differentiate it from Smash

This one's gonna be a....bit hard to explain, but bear with me on this one. Just something that adds to the gameplay just a little bit, whether it be:

-a new attack
-a technique in the vein of perfect shielding or directional air dodging
-some form of general gimmick

It's kinda vague, I'm aware, but this is my best attempt at explaining: something in the gameplay, no matter how big or small, that Smash doesn't have.

But also......

Job #7: Submit a way of summoning out assists

So let's get this one outta the way: assist characters will be a thing. We'll eventually do prompts for them, yes. But we ain't just gonna copy the Assist Trophy item one-to-one, now are we?

So just submit our means of summoning out Assists. You can either:

-submit a different Assist-summoning item

-OR, if you're feeling really brave, you can submit an entirely different system for summoning out Assists altogether.

It's yer call.

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #7: Pick an assist before game starts, then through the super meter
extremely rough, rough draft
Rough Draft Of Assist Idea.png

(I picked Teddie as I didn't think he'd be essential enough to get a fighter slot, but important enough to warrant being an assist. And Beat because he was already on my computer and he's going to get in sooner or later)

Even though the name states it's a super bar, no one said it could only be used for supers.

The closest comparison to how choosing an assist I can think of is how in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, if you have Spirits on in a ruleset and use the ruleset, and press the spirit icon, and then it shows possible spirit teams to select. However, in this game that'd be how you chose an assist (and it can be toggled on or off).

Inspired by FrayMakers, you chose a specific assist to help in the next battle. This encourages a bit of strategy to who you pick and the assist, like a bit of team composition, maybe Teddie does something specific that really benefits Beat but isn't as useful with someone like Kiryu. It also is to alleviate some of the pain if a character you wanted to play as was an assist, as now you can at least have control and know you can use them each game. Lastly, since this seems to be going more in the direction of a traditional fighting game, this makes a bit more sense if you think of it as a traditional (tag-team) fighting game that allows the other to join in with the use of some super meter.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 6
Segagaga Attack

This is an attack that can be activated by collecting at least 4 SEGA letters, once collected pressing the button will activate the Segagaga attack. The more letters you get the stronger the attack will be. The unique thing about these attacks is that they are specific references to other franchises or characters from Sega and act like an extra high-power special attack. The attacks are not unique and you can equip them on the CSS or in the main menu. No one is excluded from equipping certain Segagaga attacks.

With items off the attack charges overtime and will continue to charge after the initial SEGA letters are filled

Job 7

The Dreamcaster.

Assuming items are on, Discs may occasionally spawn, these discs have custom labels that correspond to each assist, Picking one of these up will cause The Dreamcaster to appear on the characters hand, and then the character will quickly put the disc into it. Pressing the attack button again will launch the disc from the Dreamcaster, this disc deals damage if it hits an opponent and it bounces off of opponents as well, once the disc touches the ground it will spin on the ground and summon the assist.

The Dreamcaster visually looks like a combination of these 3 things

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Job #6: Attack Charging (may need a better name)
Y'know how in Smash, holding a smash attack longer causes it to be stronger? Well in AGES, every move is that (excluding supers, specials, getup attacks, and assists). You may hold any jab, tilt, smash, or aerial for up to three seconds (though the power maxes out at one second) before letting 'er rip.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Job #7: Pick an assist before game starts, then through the super meter
extremely rough, rough draft
View attachment 311651
(I picked Teddie as I didn't think he'd be essential enough to get a fighter slot, but important enough to warrant being an assist. And Beat because he was already on my computer and he's going to get in sooner or later)

Even though the name states it's a super bar, no one said it could only be used for supers.

The closest comparison to how choosing an assist I can think of is how in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, if you have Spirits on in a ruleset and use the ruleset, and press the spirit icon, and then it shows possible spirit teams to select. However, in this game that'd be how you chose an assist (and it can be toggled on or off).

Inspired by FrayMakers, you chose a specific assist to help in the next battle. This encourages a bit of strategy to who you pick and the assist, like a bit of team composition, maybe Teddie does something specific that really benefits Beat but isn't as useful with someone like Kiryu. It also is to alleviate some of the pain if a character you wanted to play as was an assist, as now you can at least have control and know you can use them each game. Lastly, since this seems to be going more in the direction of a traditional fighting game, this makes a bit more sense if you think of it as a traditional (tag-team) fighting game that allows the other to join in with the use of some super meter.
This is more or less my idea though I'd add in that assist characters would have multiple moves and be tied to an assist button. Multiple moves serves to give assists more depth as well as better show off the characters. It also means they can potentially work better with more characters so you can theoretically use your favourite fighter and assist characters together and have them work well to varying degrees so you're not completely out of luck if you just want to use characters you like whilst still keeping the importance of fighter + assist synergy at higher levels of play.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #6: Air dashes

This game is already shaping up to be a more technical game than Smash so I think a more active approach to one of Smash's basic mechanics might compliment this.

Air dashes in Battle of AGES will work similarly to air dodges in Smash but instead will grant characters a faster, more direct burst of momentum that they can act quickly out of. To balance this, they will only give fighters a very brief window of invincibility. Most characters will be able to air dash in two directions but more air-oriented fighters can have more. While they replace directional air dodges, a neutral air dodge will still be available to the entire cast.

Job #7: Assist Timer

I like the idea of picking an assist character and using them for more than one move by spending a meter. However, I think it shouldn't be tied to the super meter.

Instead, assist characters will have their portrait act as an indicator of whether they can be used or not. Their portraits will start as grayed out and slowly fill over time. When they are available, their portraits will flash.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Classic
1. Alex kidd
2. Opa-opa
3. Arle

Modern
1. Joker
2. Hatsune miku
3. Aiai
EDIT:
Bruh I am late I didn’t see that there is page 2 lol I wish to delete this

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
And submissions are closed! Definitely a smaller turnout this time, but that's sorta to be expected considering the relative vagueness of the jobs at hand.

With that in mind, it's precisely because of that smaller turnout that we're only voting for one per category this time. So take your pick:

General Gameplay Shakeup:

Segagaga Attacks ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Attack Charging ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Air Dashing ( osby osby )

Assist-Summoning Method

Assists are part of the super meter ( CheeseAnton CheeseAnton )
Dream Caster ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Assist Timer ( osby osby )

Personally, my vote goes to air dashing and the Assist Timer

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
  1. Air Dashing

Assist-Summoning Method:
  1. Assists are part of the super meter
    • if I'm not allowed to self vote, then Assist Timer

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
  1. Air Dashing

Assist-Summoning Method:
  1. Assists are part of the super meter
    • if I'm not allowed to self vote, then Assist Timer
naw ya can't self-vote here so I'll be counting it as a vote for the Assist Timer

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Gameplay shake-up:
Air Dashing

Assist summoning method:
Assist Timer

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Gameplay Shake-Up: Air-Dashing
Assist Summon Method: Assist Timer (Osby's)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Aight, I've been slacking off on making this post for a while now, but voting is closed! Let's look at the results:

Segagaga Attacks: 1 point
Attack charging: 1 point
Air Dashing: 6 points

Assists as part of the super meter: 2 points
Dream Caster: 0 points
Assist Timer: 6 points

Air dashing and the Assist Timer will be rounding out our intitial gameplay details! Congrats to osby osby for getting both his submissions voted in at the same time: now that's a dub if I've ever seen one.

With that, we're finally done with general gameplay for now - we're gonna start switching back into content that specifically makes use of SEGA's properties. As of now, we're also going back to longer and more relaxed submission periods: partly because of the research that jobs are gonna start requiring again, partly because the whole gameplay phase was something I wanted to get over with before we got to the real meat of things.

And with that.....

Job #8: Submit a moveset for Sonic

So....submit a moveset for Sonic! Though there's something I gotta sit down and talk with y'all about: as I want this project to be more relaxed than other game creation threads, you don't have to list every single nook and cranny of a character's moveset if you don't want to. At the absolute barest of minimums, submit the specials and All-Star Move. A sort of middle ground approach I'd heavily recommend would be:

-general playstyle overview
-some of their notable normal attacks (like the most unique ones or the ones that are referencing something)
-Specials and All-Star Move
-At least some misc. info (taunts, palette swaps, victory animations, etc)

This is the layout I'd advise y'all to go with: a complete overview of the character, but one that also doesn't pressure you into covering EEEEEEEVERYTHING.

But there's another job:

Job #9: Submit a layout for Green Hill Zone

Alright, this ***** has been sitting alone in the stagelist since day 1, it's time to finally cover what it'll be like.

Basically just:

-Its general appearance
-Its layout and any stage hazards
-A tracklist (16 songs max)

And we're good to go

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
For this I'm going to presume the gameplay is similar to Smash with the specials.

Job 8: Sonic Playstyle

Basic Playstyle:

Sonic, as the resident speedster with an in your face attitude seems to naturally fit the role of a rushdown character, constantly applying pressure via his speed.

Sonic is adept at attacking from all angles with overwhelming speed. He can curl into a ball and attack from above or in front, from below he has the ability to slide on the ground, kicking opponents up from below and setting up for combos.

Gameplay wise, Sonic is not a good swimmer, so any water hazards are best avoided as the Blue Blur as he has super drowning skills compared to the rest of the roster.

Sonic's Basic moves:
Sonic's basic moves I feel should include punches and kicks from Sonic Fighters, but with a heavier emphasis on kicks due to his far stronger legs.

Overall Sonic probably should deal less damage than the average fighter(outside his specials) for both balance and combo encouragement.

His shield is the barrier item you can obtain from the monitors. I feel custom shields would be neat here, and there's still plenty of options for other Sonic shields should we need them for items later down the line.

Special attacks:
Neutral Special: Spin Dash

Probably Sonic's most iconic move.
By charging his spin, Sonic can charge himself into a powerful blue ball of spikes before launching himself forwards at terrific speeds. The player can change direction whilst in the ball, and can attack out of the ball creating combo potential.

Down Special: Bounce
Best used in the air Sonic can drop down suddenly, smashing into anything below him. Much like Yoshi and Bowser's respective Bomb attacks, when performing this Sonic will any forward momentum he has and shoot straight down. It differs from the reptiles in Smash, by allowing Sonic to bounce directly back up higher than he was before. This move is based off the effects of the Bounce Bracelet Sonic uses in Sonic Adventure 2.

Side Special: Sonic Storm
A move used in Sonic Battle, Sonic revs up like he's going to spindash, but upon charging enough he unleashes a massive Sonic boom explosion that propels him in the opposite direction. The 'boom' is a projectile blast of air that can knock opponents flying, but Sonic can also use this ability to recover from falling off stage, as the move can be performed in the air. Sonic is however stuck in his curled up ball mode until he makes contact with solid ground from this move so use it sparingly.

His up Special I'm torn on as it depends on whether Tails makes it onto the roster or not:

If Tails isn't added:
Up Special: Miles "Tails" Prower
Sonic's best buddy, loyal sidekick and the brains of the outfit is here to lend Sonic a helping hand, just like in the old days. Tails can helicopter Sonic to safety with great vertical and horizontal speed, but he tires out quickly.
Anything that touches his spinning tails will take damage, but attacking his hands will cause Tails to accidentally drop Sonic.

If Tails is added:
Up Special: Orange Rocket
Sonic calls upon the power of the orange wisps from Sonic Colors transforming him into an Orange Rocket. He shoots directly upwards. Anyone that should get in the way of the Orange Rocket will get severe knockback, but Sonic is left briefly vulnerable when the Wisp power wears out at the top of his ascent, allowing opponents to take advantage of this. The vulnerable state wears off after a while, allowing Sonic to move into a Sonic Storm to aid with his horizontal recovery. Kind of like a reverse Luigi, Sonic should use his Orange Rocket and THEN the Sonic Storm to prevent him from entering a helpless state.

All Star Move: Super Sonic
It couldn't really be anything but Super Sonic, right?
After the seven Chaos Emeralds spin around him, Sonic transforms into Super Sonic, and charges towards his opponents at blinding speed several times, knocking them higher and higher before launching a barrage of golden energy blasts from his hands which home in on the opponent, knocking them into the blast zone.
Yes, I know it's very Dragonball, but Sonic has done it in his games.

Misc:
Idle animation:

Sonic taps his foot impatiently, and looks directly at the player.

Entrance animation:
Sonic
speeds on screen, screeching to a halt.

Taunts:
Taunt 1:
Sonic spins a ring on his finger.
Taunt 2: Sonic performs a Super Peel Out(that move where his legs run rapidly as he runs on the spot - See the palettes below.)
Taunt 3: Sonic lays down on the ground, hand supporting his head as he takes a bite of a Chili Dog he produces from behind his back.

Victory Animations:
Victory animation 1:
Sonic bounces on top of an animal capsule, freeing the animals (Ricky, Pocky, Flicky, Rocky, Cucky, Pecky and Picky) from the capsule.
Victory animation 2: Sonic spins past the Goal Plate with Eggman's face on it, as it spins several times before slowing and revealing Sonic's face. He runs back into frame and leans on it, waggling a finger at the viewer.
Victory animation 3: Sonic is relaxing in a checkprint hammock as he spins a ring on one finger. "Too easy"

Palette Swaps:
Sonic-Palette-Swaps.png

Just like with the above Tails mention, I'm not sure exactly who is making it to the roster from Sonic yet.
With limited spaces in the roster for Sonic cast members, Shadow may not get to appear as a playable so I felt it was important to give Sonic a Shadow themed alt at least. If Shadow does get in, maybe we'll replace it with a Knuckles themed one...or if both get in...I dunno...Espio?

Edit: Added an entrance animation which I completely forgot.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #8: Sonic moveset

I don't think I can contribute much that hasn't been said by the post above so I'll just go over some basics.

General playstyle: Sonic is the fastest character in the game with lower than average damage output and stamina. He can wall jump but can't swim for long. Thanks to Drift, Sonic can turn around while dashing while losing less momentum than most of the cast.
Notable normals: His dash attack is Slide. His down air is Stomp. His dodges are Cartwheel. His forward throw is a kick boost. His forward air is Axe Kick.
Specials: Neutral Special: Homing Attack. Similar to Smash it works in both air and ground. If timed correctly, it lowers its damage and knockback, allowing Sonic to follow it up with other moves.
Side Special: Boost. Sonic quickly moves forward and knocks out anyone in his way. It can be used longer on the ground but Sonic will eventually tire himself out and need to recharge. In the air, it's just a short Air Boost.
Down Special: Spin Dash. By charging, Sonic attacks by curling into a ball. This attack is more telegraphed and less safe and Boost but gives Sonic more movement options and allows him to act out of it much more quickly.
Up Special: Light Speed Dash. Halts Sonic's momentum and creates a transparent trail of rings that can be aimed in 8 directions. Sonic then quickly follows them to the selected destination. This attack has a weak hitbox but its main purpose is to recover.
All-Star Move: Super Sonic. Obviously. Allows Sonic to fly indefinitely during the course of the move and precisely move on the battlefield. Unlike in Smash, Sonic gets to keep his specials but they are much stronger and have less lag overall.

Victory animation: Sonic reaches a Goal Ring

Job #9: Layout for Green Hill Zone

Sonic-the-hedgehog-20th-anniversary-project-untitled-20110418073635973.jpg

Green Hill Zone is a moderately large stage. Characters begin the fight on the top and sides of the stage and can move around with springs and platforms that appear on the stage after a short while. There are also a few spikes on one of the platforms. Its main attraction is the shuttle loop on the center of the stage. Characters can only travel from one side to the other by dashing, otherwise, they'll just hit it as it's a wall.

Tracklist:
  1. Green Hill Zone
  2. Scrap Brain Zone
  3. Emerald Hill Zone
  4. Angel Island Zone
  5. Chemical Plant Zone
  6. Marble Zone
  7. Casino Night Pinball
  8. Sky Sanctuary (Modern)
  9. Sonic Boom
  10. Super Sonic Racing
  11. Sonic Heroes
  12. Lights, Camera, Action!
  13. Planet Wisp (Act 1)
  14. Sunset Heights
  15. Windmill Isle (Day)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
(Looks like my internet is okay for today, but will be more sparse starting tomorrow)

I like Osby's track list a lot here. ^

I have a couple of questions though regarding stages Speed Weed Speed Weed :

Is each series only having one stage, is each character associated with a stage (so for example a second Sonic character could bring forth a new stage) or are stages independent of the fighters and could be any amount?

If the former, I'd like to put forth City Escape as my only track request, but if the latter two I think it'd do better in a more urban/'modern' Sonic level.

---------------------------------
Unrelated to the current job, but whilst it's fresh in my mind:

I'm not particularly familiar with the Yakuza series but I thought this might be an interesting topic as I was doing some research:

The creator of the Yakuza series has stated he won't let Kiryu appear in fighting games as they often contain female characters and he feels Kiryu would never strike a woman, which got me to thinking:

Obviously this is a fictional game creation but still how would you get around this?

The manga One Piece has Sanji who has a similar code against hitting women, and several fighting games have implemented that into their combat mechanics:
  1. One Piece Grand Battle had Sanji crying out he "Can't control his body" and overall object to his attacks on the girls as the player takes over his actions.
  2. One Piece Pirate Warriors series has him literally unable to hurt female characters, and thus the only way for him to defeat them is via support characters attacking in his stead. Jump Force also does this.
  3. One Piece Burning Blood allowed Sanji to attack women via hearts which do damage but a comically small amount, like 1 damage.
A lot of these games make Sanji completely unviable against a solid pecentage of the roster as he is the only one with limits like that.

We don't want Kiryu to be worthless against the likes of Ulalala, Sakura, Hatsune Miku etc so we'd rule out bullet points 2 and 3, but might be worth considering for when Kiryu's moveset comes up?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
(Looks like my internet is okay for today, but will be more sparse starting tomorrow)

I like Osby's track list a lot here. ^

I have a couple of questions though regarding stages Speed Weed Speed Weed :

Is each series only having one stage, is each character associated with a stage (so for example a second Sonic character could bring forth a new stage) or are stages independent of the fighters and could be any amount?

If the former, I'd like to put forth City Escape as my only track request, but if the latter two I think it'd do better in a more urban/'modern' Sonic level.

---------------------------------
Unrelated to the current job, but whilst it's fresh in my mind:

I'm not particularly familiar with the Yakuza series but I thought this might be an interesting topic as I was doing some research:

The creator of the Yakuza series has stated he won't let Kiryu appear in fighting games as they often contain female characters and he feels Kiryu would never strike a woman, which got me to thinking:

Obviously this is a fictional game creation but still how would you get around this?

The manga One Piece has Sanji who has a similar code against hitting women, and several fighting games have implemented that into their combat mechanics:
  1. One Piece Grand Battle had Sanji crying out he "Can't control his body" and overall object to his attacks on the girls as the player takes over his actions.
  2. One Piece Pirate Warriors series has him literally unable to hurt female characters, and thus the only way for him to defeat them is via support characters attacking in his stead. Jump Force also does this.
  3. One Piece Burning Blood allowed Sanji to attack women via hearts which do damage but a comically small amount, like 1 damage.
A lot of these games make Sanji completely unviable against a solid pecentage of the roster as he is the only one with limits like that.

We don't want Kiryu to be worthless against the likes of Ulalala, Sakura, Hatsune Miku etc so we'd rule out bullet points 2 and 3, but might be worth considering for when Kiryu's moveset comes up?
Aight so first of all, my plan for the stages here was:

-3 Sonic stages, Green Hill and then prompts for a classic and modern stage each (so you can submit City Escape when the time comes for a modern stage)

-Rest of the series get 1 stage until, at the end of the base game of this project, we're gonna do a vote for 3 more series in our roster to give a second stage

-A handful of "misc." stages representing SEGA games without a playable character

Worth noting also that whatever stage wins' tracklist won't affect future stages. For example, if osby's GHZ concept wins, that won't deconfirm Chemical Plant or Sky Sanctuary - let's just go with the narrative that some stages share a few tracks between each other. It's no biggie, Smash 4's DLC did it and Ultimate went even harder with it than we are.

As for the Kiryu conundrum...yeah, there's no really easy way around that, now is there? I don't think we should try to force that matter into the conversation - rather, we'll just leave that up to the people making movesets when the time comes. If someone feels like they have a good idea as to how to incorporate this aspect of Kiryu's character in his moveset, then so be it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with just letting him fight everyone normally.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of Sonic, I realized that we never explicitly decided his (or any other character's) default look. I think it goes without saying that he'll have his modern design but maybe some fighters' situation might be more complicated. Like, are we going to use Alex Kidd's classic design or remake one? Will Akira have his VF1 or VF5 looks? etc. I'm just spitballing.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Speaking of Sonic, I realized that we never explicitly decided his (or any other character's) default look. I think it goes without saying that he'll have his modern design but maybe some fighters' situation might be more complicated. Like, are we going to use Alex Kidd's classic design or remake one? Will Akira have his VF1 or VF5 looks? etc. I'm just spitballing.
Good question.

Personally I'd vote for Sonic's modern look.

I'd also vote for Alex's remake look. Some of Alex Kidd's redesigns over the years are a little unsettling(His 3D models in particular)
I also like those big old monkey ears over the elven ones he has in the original artwork. The original game's sprite always looked like he had big round ears after all.

They seem to use Akira's blocky look almost as much as his more modern look. I think I''d prefer the modern look overall.

Certainly wouldn't be opposed to VF1 Akira Yuki or Classic Alex Kidd as special unlockable costumes though. Not sure if it would work for Sonic as classic and modern Sonic proportions are so wildly different though.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
That's a good question, and one that I've also mulled over a bit

I was planning on doing some votes on which design to use for certain characters once they got in, but I was also planning on saving that kinda stuff for the more extreme differences in design (the difference between Axel's SoR 1-3 look and SoR4 look, for example), compared to some of these examples where the differences are there, they're present, but there's enough of a unifying element to that character's general design that it doesn't matter all that much IMO.

Though, there's an approach we once used in the Smash Infinite thread that I do like: when we were working on Barista, there was a debate on whether to give him a 3D design, or make him flat like G&W to better reflect the style of Rhythm Heaven. So what we did was leave it up to the people doing the movesets - they'd just have to clarify whether they made that moveset with the 3D or 2D design in mind. And that works pretty well actually, so I suppose we can just have it so that when you post a moveset, you can say if you have a specific design in mind when making that moveset, and if that moveset wins, that's the design they get

Top Bottom