• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's imagine Smash Bros. spin off games

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
It would be an F2P card game. I'd say it would be good for mobile, but Nintendo seems to be slowing down that side of business.
I once made a thread dedicated to exploring that, it was abandoned quickly, probably too complex, never played those types of games so I guess I wasnt experienced in that, maybe someone else could do a concept like that

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What about some sort of Smash gacha game? I know the thought of it being capitalized on like Mario Kart Tour is horrific, but it could work seeing how Fire Emblem Heroes does.

Then of course what I always say, a RPG. But that's something I could see them go for when it comes to a new Adventure Mode.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
What about some sort of Smash gacha game? I know the thought of it being capitalized on like Mario Kart Tour is horrific, but it could work seeing how Fire Emblem Heroes does.
I know this is a hot take, but I honestly don't mind the idea. Heck, depending on what KIND of gacha it is, it might be some characters' best chance at getting added to Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I know this is a hot take, but I honestly don't mind the idea. Heck, depending on what KIND of gacha it is, it might be some characters' best chance at getting added to Smash.
Gacha for special costumes couldn't be that bad.

Gacha for characters would absolutely suck though.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Gacha for special costumes couldn't be that bad.

Gacha for characters would absolutely suck though.
Yeah, that's another thing: how would they handle the two? Keep in mind, lots of Smash characters have lots of costume potential, and given this is a MOBILE game, they'd probably make them straight-up semi-clones. But of course, they also need to add as many original characters as they can to encourage some good old fashioned spending...

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's another thing: how would they handle the two? Keep in mind, lots of Smash characters have lots of costume potential, and given this is a MOBILE game, they'd probably make them straight-up semi-clones. But of course, they also need to add as many original characters as they can to encourage some good old fashioned spending...
We should make this a creation thread a Smash Gacha/card game

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Feel free to just post the ideas here, less threads the better.

I'm still thinking some sort of 2.5D fighting game would be great for Smash too, with slight RPG elements and interactive cutscenes for super attacks. Sort of Viewtful Joe but sped up.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
So my ideas for a Smash based tactical RPG was more or less Fire Emblem x Smash Bros. Imagine a sort of World of Light / Subspace Emissary situation, Heroes tagging along with each other against villains. But this time you just start a "route" of characters that group together based on the franchise they come from.

Mario would be much like an allrounder with average to above average stats and growths. Lower HP, but good bases and growths. Everything being around 55%. Attacks are neutral, jumps on the head of enemies, for ranged attacks he throws fireballs doing Magic based damage. No weapons, unless you equip him a hammer which counts as an axe. Has a very high Skill growth, around 70%. Functions as a sort of Lord / Hero archetype unit.

Luigi is as Mario but a bit more shakey growths, worse bases, but growths less stable, 60% for his better stats as defense, resistance, HP and Luck, 40-45% for his offensive stats. Skill is like Mario, very high. Attacks are more or less the same as Mario's.

Peach attacks using items, very low bases but good growths, especially in Magic, Skill, Luck, Resistance and Speed. A Toad automatically teams up with her, giving her the skill Miracle (saving her from otherwise fatal blows, giving her 1HP). Toad has Counter as ability, with a low activation rate. Other than that, Peach can Heal. She's basically a War Cleric of sorts.

Yoshi is another character, and there are more of them recruitable, each color basically having their own statistics, so a somewhat customisable character. His tongue has 1-2 range, basically a all around ranged Paladin, has the Skill Double Guard if paired up with. Very adaptable character who always has high Speed and Movement.

Toad are your regular grunt enemies, you can recruit many of them over time, some using weapons. Shy Guys too, using Spears most often. They have lower movement and not so great growths, making them some what sacrificial lambs as units.

Captain Toad is another unit you can recruit, probably doing something funny as raising a regular Toad to a high level or keeping them alive for so long. He joins up with Toadette. Both have higher stats, Toadette excelling in Speed, Captain Toad in Strength and defense, his pickaxe functions as an axe.

Daisy is a more balanced Peach without the Miracle Skill and the Toads. She's an Echo Fighter anyway, don't complain. Also can't heal but has way better Strength than Peach.

Wario is the anti Mario, having high HP, very high Strength, but low Speed and Skill. Can ride his Bike though for high movement attacks, and has inbuilt Canto skill with his Bike. Projectiles do less damage through a skill. Potential weakness is no projectiles and no Magic. Can also pick locks, he's like a fat Assassin without the Speed and Stealth.

Bowser of course acts as a villain quite often, but eventually is recruitable. Highest HP and Strength, bad Speed but good Defense. Good movement however, so even if he'd be build like a typical armor unit, he has movement to boot, and 1-2 range due to his Fire Breath. A mix between a armor and dragon unit, but no weakness to weapons or attacks strong against armor or dragons. Bad Luck so criticals are more common against Bowser. Joins at a higher level and has very strong bases.

Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, they are basically your flying units, with 1-2 range due to their Koopa Mechs. Bowser Jr. has the most balanced stats, along with Wendy, Morton has the highest Strength, Larry the highest Speed. All come with strong pair up abilities, and give Bowser the Miracle Skill. They all serve as enemies and bosses at some point too, obviously.

Rosalina has very high Magic and Skill, comes with Lumas of course that give her stats a boost, and pair up abilities. Very late recruitable unit, kind of like the Naga of the Mario universe literally. Very strong bases but joins at a high level. High Luck, Magic, Skill and has the Miracle as well as Sacrifice Skills. Can Heal too.

Overlapping with the Mario Universe you'd have the Donkey Kong Universe too. They will always overlap with each other eventually, depending on which route you play.

You have Donkey Kong of course who boasts very high HP and Strength but has good bases all over. Can easily gain 2+ stat gains in these. Average Speed and Skill, above average Defense and Luck, but low Resistance. Basically your Warrior / Berserker , attacks with punches but can throw barrels and objects he finds on the map. No Magic either, but can find random Bananas lying around that he can use to heal. Has the Smite Skill that's actually damaging. Also could have a Skill that's basically Sol (heals upon impact). As another skill with Ground Slap that damages enemies surrounding DK, with potential of stunning.

Diddy is your typical dodge tank, with very high Speed and Luck, average HP, Attack and Defense. Diddy starts at a lower level, but has good growths in the offensive stats, particularly Strength, Skill, Speed and Luck. Consider him like a trainee unit, a early Est archetype with better bases. Has pair up Skills with DK and Dixie that greatly increase DK's Speed and Skill upon paired. Has 1-2 range due to the Peanut Popguns. Also has low Resistance and no Magic.

Both Kongs can traverse thick forests and mountains with little penalties. Can traverse regular woods with no penalties and have high movement. They seem stronger than the Mario cast here cause you start off with only DK and Diddy, and the struggle here is keeping Diddy alive and get him some kills so he can catch up and grow.

You also recruit Dixie later who's another Est archetype. Similar stats to Diddy, lower Strength and Speed but higher Skill. Seems weaker at first but comes with the best pair up bonuses. Gives the Miracle Skill to the other Kong she pairs up with. Diddy and Dixie give each other very strong Support bonuses too.

You can sometimes find Animal Buddies on the map too, they're in crates but heavily guarded. Freeing them gives you a strong ally for one map, and every kill the Animal Buddy makes gives the Kong paired up with them experience too. So definitely worth it. Rambi for example has very high Strength, Defense and HP, but Expresso has high Speed and Skill. Enguarde you can find near water bases. Squaks allows you to fly. Squitter is good for setting traps and distance attacks.

Now here comes Cranky. He attacks using his Crane or the Crystal Coconut, which allows Cranky to temporarily change into the Arcade DK of the past, sprite and all. The Crystal Coconut is Magic based damage, giving the DK Crew a much needed Magic attacker. Cranky has good bases but not so great growths in everything but Magic. So Cranky could basically function more or less as the Jagen archetype character (good bases and bad growths). He does carry a lot of healing potions however.

Funky is another recruitable Kong. He's like DK, but joins at a much higher level, has great bases but worse growths than Donkey Kong. He can do everything DK does, but traverses water way easier than the rest due to his surfboard of course.

I'll type out more of this later.
That sounds awesome! But it doesn't really have to use the Smash franchise, the Mario & DK one could be more than enough, couldn't it?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That sounds awesome! But it doesn't really have to use the Smash franchise, the Mario & DK one could be more than enough, couldn't it?
I guess so. But I'd rather see it as a full crossover with as many Nintendo franchises as represented in Smash honestly, or at least most of them, whatever is possible. Some characters might not fit, but still. I'd still take the concept as a Mario and DK game yeah, sure. But if there's any franchise I think is likely to have an actual crossover with Fire Emblem it's Zelda. I could see a full Zelda themed Fire Emblem game actually happen above a Mario and DK one.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd be all for a Super Smash Karts or a Super Smash RPG.
I can't imagine Smash in particular fusing well with Mario Kart, if they wanna extend on Mario Kart just make it Nintendo Kart. I don't think Fire Emblem or even Pokemon are as suited for karting as fighting.

RPG though? That's the best possible direction for a Smash spin off or if they really want to do something different, cause I think it'd be amazing. It could even work as a 1P Adventure Mode in a mainline Smash game.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I can't imagine Smash in particular fusing well with Mario Kart, if they wanna extend on Mario Kart just make it Nintendo Kart. I don't think Fire Emblem or even Pokemon are as suited for karting as fighting.

RPG though? That's the best possible direction for a Smash spin off or if they really want to do something different, cause I think it'd be amazing. It could even work as a 1P Adventure Mode in a mainline Smash game.
Someone should develop a smash bros rpg creation thread

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
That's basically covered here in this thread, as a Smash RPG would be a Smash spin off. Any ideas you have, feel free to post here.
I think the plot could be a retelling of world of light but with actual character interactions, you unlock characters by finding them wandering around and battling them to unlock them, spirits act as armor of sorts, there are attack spirits to augment moves, defense spirits to augment defensive abilities, and tech spirits to give passive benefits.

I just realised that is pretty much the gamplay of FNAF world.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if this is the right place to talk about it, but remember awhile back when I mentioned a Smash mobile game? Well, one idea I had for it was something similar to FEH's Choose Your Legends events: basically, it's a ballot that let's you vote for your favorite characters from different games (or series, in this case), with the winning character getting a special alt. I had an idea for how it could be set up, specifically which characters are up for voting, but it mostly uses the Spirits list as a basis, and I'm not sure which characters would end up missing from a hypothetical ballot. Would anybody mind if I posted something at some point in order to get feedback?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the plot could be a retelling of world of light but with actual character interactions, you unlock characters by finding them wandering around and battling them to unlock them, spirits act as armor of sorts, there are attack spirits to augment moves, defense spirits to augment defensive abilities, and tech spirits to give passive benefits.

I just realised that is pretty much the gamplay of FNAF world.
I wouldn't want it to be a retelling of World of Light, even though a similar setting would work for this. In general I picture a sort of grand story like Subspace and World of Light, but actually with parts where you travel through the actual worlds connected to Smash, Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, DK Island, you name it. Even if it's just small sections, or fighting to restore order or beat some evil overlords or something. In this case I'd like it if you could start your adventure with some starting characters of choice, not just Kirby or whoever Sakurai finds fit to make you start with. The story would need more "entry points" and should eventually crossover with the other characters. That's how I imagine it at least.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
a spin-off that basically "Smash but with only 4th party characters and no video game characters".
Isn't that just MultiVersus? Anyway, doesn't really count in my book. I'd like to keep the original cast of Smash, but imagine it in a different genre. This is exactly opposite of that, same genre but different cast.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'll echo the sentiment that a Smash RPG would be really fun to see. The groundwork is already kinda there, with things like Subspace Emissary and Smash Run. Additionally, a sizable chunk of the roster is already characters from RPGs or who have been in RPGs, so we already know how they'd play and what stats and moves they'd have. Though, come to think of it, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur would all need pretty big buffs to keep up with the stats of Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar, at least if we're going by their stats in the Pokemon games. And Mewtwo would need a pretty big stat nerf.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I'll echo the sentiment that a Smash RPG would be really fun to see. The groundwork is already kinda there, with things like Subspace Emissary and Smash Run. Additionally, a sizable chunk of the roster is already characters from RPGs or who have been in RPGs, so we already know how they'd play and what stats and moves they'd have. Though, come to think of it, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur would all need pretty big buffs to keep up with the stats of Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar, at least if we're going by their stats in the Pokemon games. And Mewtwo would need a pretty big stat nerf.
Yeah Pikachu and Squirtle would be a glass cannons, and Jigglypuff and Ivysaur could become clerics spreading status buffs and debuffs

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I can picture a Smash Bros. RPG in Super Mario RPG-style but personally, I'd love to see a platformer.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can picture a Smash Bros. RPG in Super Mario RPG-style but personally, I'd love to see platformer.
Platformer goes without saying and am totally down for that too. Ideally my favorite spin off has both platform, beat em up and RPG mechanics, and is huge on cinematics and one to one character interactions, to almost make it a sort of interactive cutscene / action movie where you see your favorite characters square off.

I like the idea of Melee becoming a seperate series from the mainline Smash, kinda like how each Street Fighter instalment has its own set of sequels, focused exclusively on competitive play with no third parties.
Now this I could get behind too! How would you envision a sequel to Melee personally? I myself would include some much needed characters as Diddy, Meta Knight, Wolf, Wario, and cut down heavily on too many gimmick based characters, and add characters with move sets proven to be effective in competitive play.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Considering that its basically A Smash Spinoff
Kirby Fighters 3 This time with a decent roster Pls
Stages: All of the stages from Fighters 1, Dx and 2 plus stuff from forgotten land!
Alt Colors/ costumes for all Characters Including Dark alts for everyone
Everything aside from alt costumes is unlocked from the get go or after beating the main not True Arena Campain! (Which should be easy)
Now For Ze Rozter:
Kirby (Super Smash Bros)
Sword/ Blade Knight
Fighter/ Knuckle Joe
Parasol/ Parasol Waddle Dee
Beam/ Waddle doo
Cutter/ Sir Kibble
Ninja/ Ja-Nin
Jojo/ Gim
Hammer/ Bonkers
Wrestler/ Bugzy
Bandana Dee
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Coo, rick and kine
Marx
Gooey
Adeline and ribbon
Dark meta Knight
Daroach
Magolor
Taranza
Susie
Franziska
Flamberge
Zan Partizanne
Fecto Elfilis
Whispy Jr.
Co Kracko
And lastly dark matter
Thats only 7 characters and 4 Newcomers more yet its such a Better Roster!

Eldrake

Smash Lord
After watching a few gameplay videos of Dragon Ball: The Breakers, I couldn't help but wonder "What if there was a Dead By Daylight-esque game featuring Nintendo villains?". So my imagination went to work and figured that instead of killing them, the villain would instead capture the survivors and imprison them. Naturally the villain roster would include the likes of Bowser and Ganondorf, but what about the survivors? Simple; they're Nintendo characters who cannot fight back at all. So instead of Mario we have, for example, Toadsworth. Instead of Link we have Beedle. Instead of Captain Falcon we have Mr. Zero.

Top Bottom