• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Let's Hit the Climax! Bayonetta on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Social Thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

There's a new Bayonetta 3 trailer, and the game has a release date - October 28th, 2022. (some language and blood towards the end, though the trailer's surprisingly tame, all things considered)

Not sure if I heard Helena Taylor's voice towards the end or not. (right before the credits and release date were shown) It's probably wishful thinking on my part, though.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Jennifer Hale's been confirmed as Bayonetta's new VA, though it's still unclear why Hellena Taylor isn't reprising the role. (It sounds like scheduling conflicts, but the only thing that Hellena Taylor has done in the past decade-plus has been Bayonetta)

I wonder if it's a geographical-based thing (possibly due to Covid lockdowns), since Hellena Taylor seems to be the only one of the voice cast from the UK. Still, I'm sure Jennifer Hale will do a great job, and the game comes out in about three weeks!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's been about a month since my last post, so I feel like it's worth mentioning that Bayonetta 3's out now! I assume that some of you have picked it up; what do you think so far?

I've just finished chapter 4, and I've entered the China section; I'm guessing that I'll be playing as Viola soon. (hopefully she keeps Bayonetta's health and magic meter upgrades - I'd be annoyed if it turned out that I needed to keep some Witch Hearts and Moon Pearls in reserve for her) The demon train summon that you get in that area seems pretty clunky to control, to be honest.

If you find the Umbran Tears in each level, the bonus missions can be tough, but they're worth doing. I unlocked Alraune as a summon, along with the whip weapon from Bayonetta 2, for completing one.

It's worth mentioning that having the Switch versions of Bayonetta 1 and 2 gets you Scarborough Fair and Love Is Blue as weapons, complete with the return of Beast Within transformations. I'm assuming that they'd normally be unlocked in the post-game.

EDIT: I beat the game. I enjoyed it... up until the end of chapter 13 and a good chunk of chapter 14, where the game sharply goes downhill to the extent that it feels like a completely different team was writing it. The last chapter has some great moments, but they aren't enough to make the ending good in my eyes, especially since those great moments are almost immediately negated by Singularity, who's a bland and forgettable villain.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon comes out in a few days; it feels like Bayonetta 3 just came out.

Not sure if I'll pick this up - I'm going to wait and see what the reaction to the story is like first. I'm honestly concerned that this game is going to push the disliked aspects of Bayonetta 3's ending even harder, by doing something like claiming that Bayonetta is destined to fall in love with Luka in every single universe or some nonsense like that. Plus, while the art style looks gorgeous, the demo that we got in Bayonetta 3 didn't sell me on the gameplay.

(I'm all for weird experimental spin-offs - I bought Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes as soon as I could. However, I question who this is for - it seems disconnected from the main Bayonetta games in terms of plot, and if it's intended to get a new audience into the Bayonetta franchise, I'm not sure how that will work given how wildly different this is in terms of tone, gameplay, presentation, etc. from the other Bayonetta games)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
As someone who has never played Bayonetta or any games like it, the new prequel game interests me a lot. I have a ton of nostalgia for Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Cereza gives me a lot of those vibes. It looks very easy but very fun and comforting, Kirby-esque in that sense.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've been trying the Rodin boss fight in Bayonetta 3, and I've been having a tough time with it. I realize he's been the super difficult bonus boss in all of the Bayonetta games, but this one just seems unfair. He attacks lightning fast, which isn't anything new, but he can seemingly deactivate your Witch Time whenever he wants, and his attacks deal at least a quarter of your maxed out life bar per hit. (Some attacks hit multiple times, meaning a four hit combo basically kills you, and other attacks take half of your health per hit)

Combine that with the particle effects, hitboxes that are significantly larger than the attacks, and Rodin blending in with the background, and it leads to a fight where you can lose 3/4 of your health with no warning. (And the only way to heal is by taunting him with a certain accessory equipped)

I beat Rodin in Bayo 2, but that generally felt fair - the only time that he dealt this much damage was when I was playing as Rosa, whose increased damage output made up for her lack of health. Here, it feels like every character has Rosa's level of health but without any of the advantages.

Losing to him enough times unlocked the option to buy what you unlock by beating him (for ten times the price of the Platinum Ticket), so I think I'll play through the story on other difficulties and work towards that rather than deal with this frustrating fight. (The best that I've done is getting rid of two of his eight health bars)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
in my questionable opinion…
Bayonetta has the best introduction and post credit dance off (also Fly Me to the Moon)
Bayonetta 2 has the best Bayo fits, graphics, and artstyle
Bayonetta 3 has the best music and gameplay
Bayonetta Origins has the best story and character development for Cereza (and also Fly Me to the Moon)

either way they’re all something worth playing

Top Bottom