• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's go away! - Hornet (Daytona USA) for Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Do you support Hornet's inclussion?

• Total voters

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
HORNET (DAYTONA USA) FOR SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE

WHO?
Hornet is the main racable stock car in the arcade smash, Daytona USA, released by Sega in 1993. It's design seems to be based on the NASCAR Chevrolet Lumina.

WHAT IS DAYTONA USA?

Daytona USA was a racing video game developed by Sega's AM2 division released in arcades in 1993. The game arcade cabinets were designed like actual racing car cockpits and could be connected other cabinets for up to 8 players.
The gameplay itself is pretty standard racing affair, though what really set itself apart from the rest was it's smooth 60fps gameplay and it's high quality visuals (for the time), which was mostly thanks to it being one of the first games to feature filtered, texture-mapped polygons. The game received ports on the Sega Saturn, Windows, and an arcade perfect rerelase on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. The game also spawned some sequels and reboots including Daytona USA 2 in 1998 and Daytona Championship USA in 2017

WHY SHOULD HORNET BE IN SMASH?
Daytona USA was a huge hit when it was first released in arcades, and is looked back on fondly as one of the greatest arcade racers ever released, as well as one of the greatest games ever made. It most certainly wasn't the first arcade racer, but when people think of them, this is probably one the first ones that comes to mind for them. Sega seems to be very fond of Daytona USA, as well as the Hornet, having it make notable appearnces in games like Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, and Fighter's Megamix (More on that in a moment). Idk about you, but this sounds like Smash material to me

BUT HORNET IS LITERALLY JUST A CAR. HOW WOULD IT BE ABLE TO FIGHT?
Trust me, I would've though the exact same thing, had it not have been for a little game called Fighter's Megamix for the Sega Saturn. Fighters Megamix was a fighting game consisting of many Sega characters. While most hailed from either Virtua Fighter or Fighting Vipers, there were a few notable exceptions. Characters like Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polar Bear from Sonic the Fighters, Janet from Vitrua Cop 2, and even the AM2 Palm Tree mascot were all playable. However the most interesting inclusion was non other than the Hornet itself as an unlockable character.

Oh yes, this garbage is real.

In this game, Hornet stood on two wheels, acting like a normal human, and played like a Fighting Vipers character, where it could lose some of it's framing, revealing the inner workings of a stock car. This is the main reason I want Hornet in Smash. Smash is no stranger to WTH character picks, and I think Hornet in his Megamix form would be a perfect choice.

Potential Music for it's Inclusion:

Let's Go Away - The iconic main theme of the game,
The King of Speed (Rolling Start)
Sky High
Pounding Pavement

HE SOUNDS INTERESTING HOW CAN I HELP?
You can help me out in one of two ways

1. Give me some suggestions, like alternate costumes or a potential moveset (This thread is far from done, so any help will be appreciated)

2. You can show you support for their inclusion
Either vote in the poll above with a yes, like this post, and/or reply below saying you support Do any of these, and I'll put you on the list of supporters.

PIT CREW (SUPPORT LIST)
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku
osby osby
BonafideFella BonafideFella
@liquidmetalslime
Llort A. Ton Llort A. Ton
fleshdude.gov fleshdude.gov
C Cammedup
smash puffle smash puffle
Mamboo07 Mamboo07
slambros slambros
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
TheMemeBoss TheMemeBoss
OnyanRings OnyanRings
@SGoW
MacDaddyNook MacDaddyNook
TheKnight TheKnight
tonygameman tonygameman
Speed Weed Speed Weed
Thanks so much for checking this out! This thread is a work in progress and I hope to update it regularly​

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hello y'all.

As I'm leaving the site, this thread gonna needs a new owner.

Any takers?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I literally just joined just so I could participate in this pole. I'd absolutely love to become the new owner of your cool with that.
Oh well...that post was made a while ago... I'm back now. No need for a new owner lol

Though I'll keep you in mind for the future

Anyways, time to add you to the support list I guess

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
What about the horse as a Echo Fighter?
images (35).jpeg

I would be laughing so hard if this happened.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Oh sweet Hornet from Holl- wait something's wrong.
1567100536646.gif

Anyways, i guess i support Hornet, a character that's litteraly just a car (well, a car that can punch people with its wheels mind you but still) would be hilarious.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want a car in Smash, and the car I want the most is Hornet, so yes I support.

Cammedup

Smash Rookie
I'd be cool with this, especially if it got other Sega racing songs with it, specifically "Am I Only Dreaming" from Metropolis Street Racer.
I actually went and researched that song after reading this and WOW. I definitely wasn't expecting the singer from Sonic R.
Definitely glad I looked into it.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I have a friend in Morocco that says she doesn't play much games, but she used to play racing games and she wants to vote in my poll. I'm going to tell her about Daytona USA.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Well, there's a SEGA clone thread and I had this planned, but Champion's OutRun stage lacked a lot of variety, so I had to make a stage of mine from that series and share this one here instead.

Stage: Three-Seven Speedway

This stage is based on the most well-known track in a 1994 arcade racing game Daytona USA, which was also used as Hornet's arena in Fighters Megamix.

The fight takes place in a floating platform at the middle of an traditional, semi-oval NASCAR-like racing track (based on Daytona International Speedway itself), complete with crowds of fans cheering as 40 cars (one of them being #41 Hornet itself) race through a forest, under a rocky overhang with a slot machine reel attached to it and finally, the bend with a monument of Sonic himself, carved into the adjacent cliffside before returning to the starting line. The arena portion of the track also features a pit lane for racers to tune their cars.

A camera spins around similarly to Spiral Mountain's, allowing players to watch a race at the background while fighting each other. A palm tree from SEGA AM2's logo also appears in the forest, akin to it's role as a secret playable character in Fighters Megamix and a company having developed Daytona USA.

Tracklist:
  1. Let's Go Away (original/HD/Circuit Edition/vocal)
  2. The King of Speed (original/HD/Circuit Edition)
  3. Sky High (original/HD/B-Univ; extended vocals)
  4. Pounding Pavement (original/HD/Circuit Edition/B-Univ)
  5. Sons of Angels
  6. The American Dream
  7. Funk Fair
  8. The Noisy Roars of Wilderness
  9. Battle on the Edge (original/Mitsuyoshi)
  10. Sling Shot (original/Mitsuyoshi)
  11. I Can Do It (original/Mitsuyoshi)
  12. Skyscraper Sequence (original/Mitsuyoshi)
  13. Holiday in the Park
  14. Speed Friend
  15. Greatfall in the Sky
  16. Don't Look Back
If there were more song slots for tracklists, I would've included Replay (Virtua Racing Deluxe) and Go! Go! Sega Rally (SEGA Rally 2), as well.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
knowing that racing games rep is ignored in smash i would probably want another racing rep we have been stuck with Captian Falcon since smash 64 and we havent got anything after him besides new racing stages.
an actual car fighter sounds perfect for a racing game rep as a whole.
also i had to share this with u i found it online and has a very cool ideas and concept.

Top Bottom