• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Let's Get Sweaty!" Shenmue's Ryo Hazuki for Smash!

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
After an 18 year hiatus, Shenmue returned to the gaming world with Shenmue III in 2019 on the PS4 and Epic Games Store, and most-recently the long-awaited (and originally presumptive) Steam release. Even if you've never played a Shenmue game, a lot of gamers have some familiarity with what the series attempted to do by creating an open world game, melding action, adventure, and RPG genres into one unique and deeply engaging experience.

The game's protagonist--Ryo Hazuki--has endeared himself to Sega fans since the game's release in 1999. Ryo is calm and collected, but also caring and a bit naive sometimes (and, uh, maybe a bit emotionally distant from his girlfriend).

Let's take a look how he would play in Smash--but first, I need to drink a soda, play with a cat, and collect a couple of capsule toys.

Who is Ryo?

Before the day of "the incident," Ryo Hazuki was your somewhat average 1985 Japanese high school student. His father--the owner of a dojo--was killed by the mysterious Lan-Di who was in search of a special mirror (almost taking Ryo's life in the process). Since that day, Ryo has embarked on an quest to avenge his father.

Why should he be in Smash?
My first instinct was always imagine Ryo getting in because his game was "epic" or "groundbreaking." However, as Sakurai recently said in the Terry Bogard presentation, making the character "fun" is the most important thing. I think Sakurai can achieve that.

Would Nintendo fans care?
Some Nintendo fans might be fairly familiar, as Ryo appeared in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, which sold very well on Nintendo platforms, and he appeared in 2015's Project X-Zone 2 on the 3DS. Sega has also stated that Shenmue I & II HD will come to Switch if the fan demand is there, which it always appears towards the top of the list of requested ports.

What's his gimmick?
Shenmue is not a game you can--or should--fly through. The journey is one of patience, discovery, and learning. As Ryo progresses through the game, he learns martial arts moves and instructions from various individuals from Yokosuka, Hong Kong, and Bailu Village. Ryo's "gimmick" will reflect this. Starting off a match, Ryo will have a very limited standard / "A" - attack moveset--perhaps just a punch or a kick. The more you attack your opponents, however, the more Ryo will learn, and standard and Smash moveset will increase with complexity, allowing you do to more combos, and power. The move-sets will be taken from his game, as seen here:

What should his special moves be?
Ryo's moves in the game are very much an evolution of Virtua Fighter. Ryo however, is more versatile than your standard Virtua Fighter character:

Down-special: QTE
Shenmue was the first game to implement the QTE (or "quick-time event") where you're interacting with the game during a cutscene. Similar to Shulk's "vision," Ryo's down-special/down B will appear as though he's predicting his opponent's attack. A :GCD::GCB: or similar button will appear above his head when the move connects, and Ryu will respond with a counter-attack. The counter will have a different move relative to where the initial attack came from.

Shenmue QTE.png

Up-special: Motorcycle Jump
Ryo breaks out his motorcycle from Shenmue (and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing) and does a diagonal recovery, as if jumping off a ramp. Ryo can leap to safety while the motorcycle can cause damage if it careens or falls on opponents.

Side-special: Forklift
Ready to start his shift at the warehouse, Ryo hops in his forklift, plowing into opponents, causing horizontal knockback If timed just right while pressing B, Ryo can use the forklift's prongs to send the opponent vertically.

Neutral-special: Tetsuzankou
Shenmue started off as "Virtua Fighter RPG." The game and Ryo pays homage to the series with Akira Yuki's famous tetsuzankou thrust (just like the assist trophy).

Final Smash: You Arcade
Other games created by Yu Suzuki are playable within Shenmue. When the Final Smash is activated, Ryo will turn to an arcade machine and pop in a quarter. If an opponent is nearby, they will be transported into the world of Space Harrier, Hang-On, or After Burner, with the opponent being blasted by the Space Harrier protagonist, After Burner F-16, or hit by the motorcyclist of Hang-On.

Sakurai encouraged Sega to re-release the Sega Ages collection on Switch, which featured some of Yu Suzuki's most iconic games in Space Harrier and Virtua Racing. Sakurai is no doubt a fan of Suzuki's work.

Taunts:
Side: Poses as if ready for battle and says one of several phrases, ie: "I see. . . , Let's get sweaty!, Have you seen any sailors?"
Up: Drinks a soda
Down: Bends down to pet a cat

Classic Mode examples:
Luigi = Fuku-san (friend and sparring partner)
Multiple Dark Pits = The Mad Angels biker gang
Green-colored Ganondorf = Lan Di

Stage:
I looked at the world differently after playing Shenmue--Ryo's hometown and places he ventured always felt alive with characters and atmosphere. Although the docks feel like a fitting place to have a match, I would love if we could hop on a bus and enjoy some of the beautiful areas of Yokosuka, too.

Music:
Shenmue has a plethora of songs to choose from, and range from somber to aggressive. They're all very catchy, especially the Tomato Store song.

Is there hope?
Oh, absolutely. With Shenmue being a ground-breaking game, fan and Sega employee vocal support of a Shenmue I & II port, and Sakurai having fond memories of the arcade, and likely reverance to the man who created those games, there's always the possibility.

Additionally, when asked if Shenmue III would be coming to Switch, Suzuki said the information was "classified." Shortly after, he interrupted the interviewer to clarify "there were no plans at this time," perhaps catching himself.

Reveal Trailer

A black screen. Slowly a dull pink petal falls from the top. Then another. Another. The theme of Shenmue starts. A voice begins to speak--Shenhua's: "He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea. A young man who has yet to know his potential. . ." The blackness fades. A mountainside comes into focus as the camera sweeps up it, the sun setting behind. "This potential is a power that can either destroy him or realize his will." We now see Shenhua, arms outstretched. Petals fall around her. "His courage shall determine his fate." The petals of the Shenmue tree increase with the wind. The camera pans behind her, now over her head, past her fingertips, sailing over the mountain's edge. "The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity. . ." The petals thin as they sail over the sea, revealing a single, white envelope amongst them. "I wait whilst praying. . ." The screen slowly fades to black. The petsls disappear. Finally, the envelope, too.

". . .For this destiny predetermined since ancient times."

The rev of a motorcycle engine. The screen fades in again. The white envelope is lying half-off a street curb. The red wax Smash symbol can be seen. The wheel of a motorcycle pulls into frame. A hand picks it up. A familiar voice: "What's this?" The sound of the envelope opening. The camera quickly pans back to show a stoic Ryo Hazuki, looking focused--toward the direction from where the letter may have come.

RYO HAZUKI GETS SWEATY!

From there the music changes to a more action-oriented song from Shenmue. Different in-game scenes will show Ryo's moveset while hardening back to other aspects of Shenmue, such as:

-Driving a forklift into enemies, stopping at a wooden crate.
-Facing off against Ganondorf in his green outfit (Lan Di)
-Using the QTE counter on opponents who are attacking one at a time, hearing the sound effect when it connects (and lastly, when it does not).
-Ryo flying overhead on his motorcycle, and below him is Wario on his own bike.
-Crouching on the boat with Kapp'n on the Animal Crossing stage (Have you seen any sailors?)
-Breaking open a party ball (Gatcha capsules)
-Doing the elbow thrust at the same time against the Assist Trophy of Akira Yuki (Shenmue started off as a Virtua Fighter RPG)
-Posing with multiple orange clad Mii fighters in gis (monks from Shenmue II)
-Fighting with standard attacks against multiple Dark Pits (Mad Angels biker gang)

The trailer ends after Ryo's Final Smash (whatever that may be). The screen again fades to black with just a few petals falling. The Shenmue song comes back, if only lightly.

"A pitch-black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light. And thus, the saga begins..."

Against the black backdrop, in Shenmue lettering comes the scratched-in release date. The lingering piano keys from the Shenmue theme pitters out...

Alt. Costumes.
Ryo's alternative costumes would change primarily the color of his jacket and either represent characters from the game or other titles from Yu Suzuki.
Dark Green = Representing Lan Di
White w/ red & blue = Super Hang On
Blue = Ren
Yellow = Shenhua
Red/pink = Space Harrier
Silver = After Burner F-16
Dark Blue w/ red = Akira Yuki

Conclusion
I'm hoping for a Video Game Awards 2020 reveal, which would create an immeasurable amount of hype. If a game like Shenmue can garner this type of reaction from grown men and women...

...perhaps Ryo's venture across the sea will take a brief detour in Smash.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
High school? As in, "let us hire a thirty year old actor to pretend they are a kid" high school, or just a regular high school student. You stated average, but fam, I have eyes. I always wanted to learn more about the series and Smash is one of the only gateways where I learn about new stuff that I am not entirely interested in playing myself. I could see a Switch announcement solely because they did not officially announce a Switch port of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy despite the fact that it got the N.Sane Trilogy and there was the leaked store listing. So... Maybe?

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I could see a Switch announcement solely because they did not officially announce a Switch port of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy despite the fact that it got the N.Sane Trilogy and there was the leaked store listing. So... Maybe?
You're right in that regard--Nintendo does like to make their own announcements, and there's a precedence for that with Sonic Mania, Crash, and others.

I was thinking E3 would be the best time to reveal it, and after the tournament. You have hardcore and knowledgeable people there who understand how monumental it would be. They understood that implication in E3 2015 with Shenmue III--the reaction was just incredible.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, I've always wanted to play Shenmue! Never owned a Dreamcast, and I don't know too much about them beyond thair reputation and concept since I want it to be a fresh experience when I finally do play the games, but I've always wanted to play them. Ryo would be a fun inclusion! I'll support him!

Here's hoping the games come to Switch! Was really excited when I saw "Shenmue" and "Nintendo Switch" together in news articles a few days ago, and then was disappointed when Shenmue wasn't coming to Switch, and the articles were talking about Sega Ages. :p

...Also wow, that Tomato Convenience Store song is really catchy haha :)

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I hope you guys don't mind me bumping this up. I re-tooled it quite a bit. I added what was sorely lacking before--a fun and specific move-set.
With Shenmue III coming out within the next few weeks, it seemed like it was a fitting--if only coincidental--time. :)

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
i support this, Shenmue is great, if a bit TOO realistic (looking at you real-time hike.)

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
i support this, Shenmue is great, if a bit TOO realistic (looking at you real-time hike.)
Hmmm, that gives me the idea that the stage could change from night to day (and play that melody, too).

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I never like bumping my own threads, but with Shenmue III coming out next week, I want to give this one final shot. I made a few adjustments and put in this reveal trailer idea:

Reveal Trailer

A black screen. Slowly a dull pink petal falls from the top. Then another. Another. The theme of Shenmue starts. A voice begins to speak--Shenhua's: "He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea. A young man who has yet to know his potential. . ." The blackness fades. A mountainside comes into focus as the camera sweeps up it, the sun setting behind. "This potential is a power that can either destroy him or realize his will." We now see Shenhua, arms outstretched. Petals fall around her. "His courage shall determine his fate." The petals of the Shenmue tree increase with the wind. The camera pans behind her, now over her head, past her fingertips, sailing over the mountain's edge. "The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity. . ." The petals thin as they sail over the sea, revealing a single, white envelope amongst them. "I wait whilst praying. . ." The screen slowly fades to black. The petsls disappear. Finally, the envelope, too.

". . .For this destiny predetermined since ancient times."

The rev of a motorcycle engine. The screen fades in again. The white envelope is lying half-off a street curb. The red wax Smash symbol can be seen. The wheel of a motorcycle pulls into frame. A hand picks it up. A familiar voice: "What's this?" The sound of the envelope opening. The camera quickly pans back to show a stoic Ryo Hazuki, looking focused--toward the direction from where the letter may have come.

RYO HAZUKI GETS SWEATY!

From there the music changes to a more action-oriented song from Shenmue. Different in-game scenes will show Ryo's moveset while hardening back to other aspects of Shenmue, such as:

-Driving a forklift into enemies, stopping at a wooden crate.
-Facing off against Ganondorf in his green outfit (Lan Di)
-Using the QTE counter on opponents who are attacking one at a time, hearing the sound effect when it connects (and lastly, when it does not).
-Ryo flying overhead on his motorcycle, and below him is Wario on his own bike.
-Crouching on the boat with Kapp'n on the Animal Crossing stage (Have you seen any sailors?)
-Breaking open a party ball (Gatcha capsules)
-Doing the elbow thrust at the same time against the Assist Trophy of Akira Yuki (Shenmue started off as a Virtua Fighter RPG)
-Posing with multiple orange clad Mii fighters in gis (monks from Shenmue II)
-Fighting with standard attacks against multiple Dark Pits (Mad Angels biker gang)

The trailer ends after Ryo's Final Smash (whatever that may be). The screen again fades to black with just a few petals falling. The Shenmue song comes back, if only lightly.

"A pitch-black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light. And thus, the saga begins..."

Against the black backdrop, in Shenmue lettering comes the scratched-in release date. The lingering piano keys from the Shenmue theme pitters out...

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
They should give Ryo a stage with music from the Shenmue series. Both originals and new remixes. They should get Yuzo Koshiro to do a Smash remix of the Main Theme.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
They should give Ryo a stage with music from the Shenmue series. Both originals and new remixes. They should get Yuzo Koshiro to do a Smash remix of the Main Theme.
Thanks for the support! :)

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
A little late in posting this, but this video uses infallible math to predict Ryo at just past the 23:00 mark. (...Just ignore that their other Fighter Pass 2 predictions were wrong).

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
In celebration of Shenmue III's release on steam, I went back and made many changes to the OP. With the Game Awards coming up, I have hope.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Although this thread didn't gain the traction I had hoped, I figure I would comment one final time, with the last reveal just about 24 hours away.

I've tried to connect the dots in vain, as--up to this point--no picture has formed. I don't expect Ryo to be the last fighter (my bet is with the protagonist from Shin Megemi Tensei V), and to be honest, I would prefer another Sonic rep most in Tails or Robotnik. And I can see a fighter with more marketability (Master Chief, Sora, Crash, Jonesie) or sentimentality (Balloon Fighter, orignal DK) making the cut.

However, I do feel like Ryo is an important choice, which is why I'm choosing to bump this one over any others I created or any other character I might want more.

For those who played it when it first came out, the game widened the experience of what we thought a game could do. It was more than a video game, it felt like a home away from home. We felt connected to characters in a way we might with our neighbors in real life.

Many fans and fan sites stream the game weekly. Even today--on the 4th of every month--Shenmue fans make their voices known on social media to request Shenmue IV.

So, in case we can't see Ryo's ambition fulfilled just yet, here's hoping Ryo's journey can take one more unexpected detour.

Top Bottom