• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Brawl'em back! - NOT a project

Are you interested in this?

• Total voters

josxx1803

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! How you've been? I hope you're ok. How is your cat?

Ok, now, in all do seriousness. Well, here's is the thing, I was testing out Smash 3 build with my friends the other day when one comes up to me a said: "Dude, no offense but this characters looks too saturated, did you textured them?". I obviously said no and told him what they are and he said back: "Hey, the models look cool and all but this saturation hurts my eyes, I think they will look better on Brawl textures". And that's how I came up with this, "how will the Smash 3 models (with their shaders and materials) look with Brawl textures?" and to my very surprise, they look not too shaby!

I started with Lucario since this was the character that arise such comment and this is what I got:

I don't know if I should make this a project because I feel that is like a slap in the face of the Smash 3 Team, so, I ask you guys:

- Should I continue with this?. I have already 3 finished characters and 1 in the making.
- What should I tackle on next?. A character that you specially think this should be done with it or perhaps a specific costume.

---Download---
Lucario:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dvsmk85he5hroc/HD Brawl Lucario.rar?dl=0

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
This isn't the definition of HD, maybe check your tv screen, or your friends eyes.

Interesting idea nonetheless

josxx1803

Smash Rookie
This isn't the definition of HD, maybe check your tv screen, or your friends eyes.

Interesting idea nonetheless
I didn't know how to call this, so I went for HD since Smash 3 models are all about that. Nevertheless, this captures does not make justice, they look indeed quite good In-Game.

*Note: For some reason I can't get smashboards to preview my imgur links... uh, help?

EDIT: Forget it, my mistake, I didn't notice that it wasn't the direct link.

EDIT2: How's that for a tittle now?

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Slapping Brawl textures onto models with Smash 3 shaders/normals/the works seems incredibly pointless to me.

DualX

Smash Apprentice
So, you're just playing regular Project M at this point?

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
If I were to do this, it would take at most two days for all of the characters if you're doing it right.

Downloads Smash 3 pack
Downloads pac files for all Brawl costumes
Extracts Brawl Textures
Replace S3 Textures with Brawl Textures
(Repeats Steps 2-4 for every single costume in Brawl)

So... It's easy, but repetitive as ****. Good luck.

josxx1803

Smash Rookie
So, you're just playing regular Project M at this point?
No, I'm actually playing a customized 3.61 CB since I want it to spice things up.

And well, since this have had a negative response (honestly, like I spected), I will let this die with with what I have done until now and release in the vault for anyone who cares.

josxx1803

Smash Rookie
If I were to do this, it would take at most two days for all of the characters if you're doing it right.

Downloads Smash 3 pack
Downloads pac files for all Brawl costumes
Extracts Brawl Textures
Replace S3 Textures with Brawl Textures
(Repeats Steps 2-4 for every single costume in Brawl)

So... It's easy, but repetitive as ****. Good luck.
Oh! Indeed, is easy and I was doing it because it was since I'm not that skilled yet (I'm learning my stuff through the tutorials in my free time). Yet, it was not all about remplacing all of the Smash 3 costumes with Brawl costumes, actually, I was giving them the Smash 3 recolors in the Brawl textures so, it would have taken a few more time than just two days of work. Also, I want it to have all the cosmetics made by me, with the Codex style since I used some of his work for Lucario and I want it to replicate it.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Hey, go nuts!

Its your stuff you're gonna do and you should feel proud of it.

Take it from a smash3 vet, Im curious to see if they all look good in a way.

josxx1803

Smash Rookie
Hey, go nuts!

Its your stuff you're gonna do and you should feel proud of it.

Take it from a smash3 vet, Im curious to see if they all look good in a way.
Well... already finished the easy ones, the ones with already updated models and with textures that do not differ a lot of those of Brawl, like the fore mentioned (also including Mewtwo [jaystring model]) and some of the Mario cast (Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser). If I recolect the enough knowledge, I should tackle the Zelda cast next, I got Link already in the studio but Smash 3 got creative with his textures and is no longer a port, I'm figuring my way to create Brawl-like textures out of the Smash 3 rearrangement.

I'll post progress pics as soon as I have time to capture them. I'm on the finals of summer course in my university, so got busy all over.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
May seem pointless for some, but I'm down for this. I've always wanted to use all the S3 costumes, but the texture style change always threw me off. Nothing against it, just personal taste. I'll be following~

josxx1803

Smash Rookie
Oh, hey guys, I'm back! Well, after that tough week, I now feel somehow refreshed.

I'm gonna be honest with you guys, I thought this thread will die while I was out, I never expected that people (at least a few) will come back and pick some interest out this, that pumped me up to get back to work with this and for that, I thank you! Now, I gotta say, I got the slacker symdrome with this project since I though it will be a personal project from now on... but now, I gotta be more professional and end this thoroughly.

And without further ado, I bring you an update!

Better looking first pic:

I thought that I outta finish with the Pokémon cast while I'm at it, I hope you like the results!
Also, I wanna let you know that I not gonna be touching Jiggs since I believe that the Smash 3 team did an amazing job and that it looks like the Smash 4 Puff which is my main goal while doing this.

Peace out!

josxx1803

Smash Rookie
Ugh. I need to stop partying like this... well, nevermind the hangover, I'll like to give you guys a little update!

First of all, no I haven't drop this. I work every day little by little to complete the characters that I have in the work shop to start uploading releases. Right now I am working on finishing the recolors of Squirtle, Mario, Luigi, DK, Yoshi and Peach; like you all can see I have a handful of recolors to work on and with this stuff called life poking it's way in between, it tends to be a little hard for me to keep up with you.

I am doing this as fast as I can, I'm even fighting very harshly with my procastinating habits! So I hope that either there's not many people that follows this and that they are patient or that you guys don't mind this issue a lot.

Now, without further ado:

Pikifan4IndigoCobra57

Smash Apprentice
I think you should continue. I thought some characters models were a bit off but at the same time didn't like Smash 3/3C Smash 4 esque art style.

Divemissile

Smash Apprentice
NNID
What_garbage
i was kinda iffy on this project at first, but i'm really digging how mario, luigi, and dk look! keep it up!

Top Bottom