• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I wonder if Smash Bros Ultimate even have "secret characters", since all but the original cast will be unloackable, and IIRC secret characters were always characters that needed to be unloacked.
Good way to hide a few surprises since there are so many other characters you'll have to go through unlocking first. It'll catch people off-guard to see, out of 50+ others, a silhouette of a character they don't remember being revealed.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Good way to hide a few surprises since there are so many other characters you'll have to go through unlocking first. It'll catch people off-guard to see, out of 50+ others, a silhouette of a character they don't remember being revealed.
Maybe. I guess it also depends on how many newcomers we'll actually get alongside the 3 we already know.

It doesn't really matter to me either way since I'm going to always be checking Smash news and seeing what characters make it into Ultimate, so it won't be a secret for me.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well if it wasn't for leaks no one would have know about Duck Hunt or Bowser Jr. And even then most didn't believe they were real until the game dropped so even following the news we won't know who made till after the game is released. As for characters I fully expect some newcomers to not be revealed. We will have at least one we don't know about that's unique and an echo or 2.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Isaac's inclusion would bring about hype, because his inclusion would mean A. he made it in the ballot, B. Sakurai's trying to have the widest variety of franchises possible, and C. we get more Motoi Sakuraba because that's amazing music

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Well if it wasn't for leaks no one would have know about Duck Hunt or Bowser Jr. And even then most didn't believe they were real until the game dropped so even following the news we won't know who made till after the game is released. As for characters I fully expect some newcomers to not be revealed. We will have at least one we don't know about that's unique and an echo or 2.
Didn't a majority of people become convinced by the ESRB leak once Shulk was confirmed and looking identical to his leak's render? At least I know I was, and that's why I'm getting off Smashboards probably a week or two before release when review copies start to reach people. I don't want another leak like that spoiling the surprise.

Then again, one could come out almost a month in advance like ESRB did and that plan gets shot down.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Yeah, Isaac seems very much like he'd be a late-in-the-game, if not post-release reveal. Because let's be honest, he's no marketing powerhouse. He's a fan-favourite.
Isaac we need you to reach all 4 Lighthouses and Save the World from impending doom.

Isaac: Wait, Smash is calling my name.
"and so the Smash roster began drifting towards its fated destruction... "

*shows Isaac beating everyone up*

See, if this was any other Smash game, I would totally agree. He's not the most recognizable face.

I just can't see them keeping a ballot character secret.
I can see it if it's a ballot character who did well enough to get in but not well enough to make a fuss about it.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Didn't a majority of people become convinced by the ESRB leak once Shulk was confirmed and looking identical to his leak's render? At least I know I was, and that's why I'm getting off Smashboards probably a week or two before release when review copies start to reach people. I don't want another leak like that spoiling the surprise.

Then again, one could come out almost a month in advance like ESRB did and that plan gets shot down.
I mean still the characters were kept secret until after the game dropped. But I guess I could go with Brawl no one believed the guy who dropped the entire roster or there was a guy who said Ultimate would be called Ultimate and every vet would be back but no one believed him. The real leaks get ignored. ESRB was special due to video that just made it impossible to deny and if I remember it didn't show off Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In all likelihood they probably won't push many inclusions as due to the ballot. This is hardly the first Smash poll to shape the roster behind the scenes, but you rarely hear about how they explicitly helped in building the roster. The closest we may get is them stating characters got in "due to popular demand". I mean Snake, Bomberman, Krystal, Knuckles, Toad's larger role... for all we know some/all of these could be due to the ballot.

Despite the ballot likely having considerable sway over this game, I personally am not expecting much to be attributed to it this time around.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
They already declared Bayonetta the winner. People didn't expect Sakurai to go "Here's K Rool, he was the runner-up so he's here now and in third place Isaac joins the cast" did they?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They already declared Bayonetta the winner. People didn't expect Sakurai to go "Here's K Rool, he was the runner-up so he's here now and in third place Isaac joins the cast" did they?
iirc Sakurai did something very similar to this with Mega Man. Something along the lines of, "Sonic was the most requested third-party on the Brawl poll, but Mega Man was second".

That said, point taken, and I agree. Being that candid is definitely atypical, but they could still qualify additions as due to the ballot without giving away exact placement, should they choose. They never promised a sole addition. However I just think the outward ballot attribution will be minimal.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Apparently there was an old Brawl poll conducted by Sakurai that had a bunch of different characters recommended for the roster (I updated some of the details for what we know of SSBU so far) These were the higher ranked characters in the poll. The original thread can be found in the following link where other candidates are shown including fellow Golden Sun protag Felixhttps://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/
King Dedede(5) - CONFIRMED!(SSBB)
Diddy Kong(4) - CONFIRMED!(SSBB)
Geno(4)
Ike(4) - CONFIRMED!(SSBB)
Ridley(4) - CONFIRMED (SSBU)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3) - CONFIRMED(SSBB)
Krystal(3) ASSIST TROPHY
Takamaru(3) ASSIST TROPHY
Windwaker Link(3)- CONFIRMED (SSBB)
Animal Crossing MC(2) - CONFIRMED (SSB4)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
OUR GOLDEN BOY!

Jeff(2) ASSIST TROPHY
Kawasima(2) ASSIST TROPHY
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2) - CONFIRMED (SSBB)
Mega Man(2) (SSB4)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)Assist trophy

Judging by these results Isaac has been on Sakurai's radar for a playable slot and seeing how much competition from this poll has been added or deconfirmed or is straight up unlikely, I am somewhat hopeful due to the push for Isaac by Golden Sun fans with the ballot. On the other hand this is an older poll that was made 12 years ago so it may be irrelevant in the eyes of some people

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Apparently there was an old Brawl poll conducted by Sakurai that had a bunch of different characters recommended for the roster (I updated some of the details for what we know of SSBU so far) These were the higher ranked characters in the poll https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/ The original thread can be found here where other candidates are shown including fellow Golden Sun protag Felix
Geno(4)
Krystal(3) ASSIST TROPHY
Windwaker Link(3)- CONFIRMED
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
OUR GOLDEN BOY!

Jeff(2) ASSIST TROPHY
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2) - CONFIRMED!
Mega Man(2) (SSB4)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)Assist trophy

Judging by these results Isaac has been on Sakurai's radar for a playable slot and seeing how much competition from this poll has been added or deconfirmed or is straight up unlikely, I am somewhat hopeful due to the push for Isaac by Golden Sun fans with the ballot. On the other hand this is an older poll that was made 12 years ago so it may be irrelevant in the eyes of some people
Even if the poll is 12 years old, if there were a notable enough amount of votes, Sakurai would see Isaac is still wanted.

You know I don't really like that Isaac stock icon, mostly because of the banana yellow hair; then again my own has it's own issues. like how I forgot to include the scarf.

Maybe I should make another now that I have a new laptop, there's actually something I'm working on first, though.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Apparently there was an old Brawl poll conducted by Sakurai that had a bunch of different characters recommended for the roster (I updated some of the details for what we know of SSBU so far) These were the higher ranked characters in the poll. The original thread can be found in the following link where other candidates are shown including fellow Golden Sun protag Felixhttps://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/
Geno(4)
Krystal(3) ASSIST TROPHY
Windwaker Link(3)- CONFIRMED
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
OUR GOLDEN BOY!

Jeff(2) ASSIST TROPHY
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2) - CONFIRMED!
Mega Man(2) (SSB4)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)Assist trophy

There weren't that many voters here, but that may not matter as he seems to take results of polls he directly conducts straight to heart. Just look at how many characters on the old "Smash 2" poll have become playable.

I'm more concerned with how old it is. Ashley, Bandana Dee, and a few others have exploded into popularity and are competition due to the limited dev time.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Even Claus has been represented in Lucas' alt (in two variants, even!)

*actually reads the list*

"Link's Uncle"

...What? Why?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guise, someone voted for Chain Chomp on that poll.
Chain Chomp confirmed.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Guise, someone voted for Chain Chomp on that poll.
Chain Chomp confirmed.
Sakurai secretly works with Camelot undercover and added Chain Chomp into Mario Tennis Aces himself.

Can somebody go tell him to add Isaac for that game when he's done adding him into this one?

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the Worldwide Top 20 of the Ballot, considering the time period...
In no Particular Order:
Veterans: Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Pichu, Roy, Pokémon Trainer (Squirtle & Ivysaur)
1st Party: Ridley, Inkling, "Mario Character" (Toad, Daisy or Waluigi), Bandana Waddle Dee, Paper Mario, Ashley, Isaac
3rd Party: "Sonic Character" (Tails or Shadow), Geno, "Final Fantasy Character" (Cloud), Bayonetta, Banjo & Kazooie

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm still not seeing him there.
And no, I don't mean Decidueye.
Sceptile then?
Chandelure?
Chibi Robo!
It's Skull Kid, isn't it?

For the record I didn't forget any of these characters, I just don't think they made the top 20 Worldwide (otherwise I'd have had Lip, Takamaru and Arle Nadja on the list).

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
OH! King K. Rool!

He was on my word document list and I didn't even transfer him over. XD

Well, don't I have egg on my face?

Also I forgot Dixie Kong, too.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Sceptile then?
Chandelure?
Chibi Robo!
It's Skull Kid, isn't it?

For the record I didn't forget any of these characters, I just don't think they made the top 20 Worldwide (otherwise I'd have had Lip, Takamaru and Arle Nadja on the list).
Dis dude
k.rool and isaac.jpg

KMDP

Smash Legend
Right then!

Second draft incoming.

Veterans: Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Pokémon Trainer, Roy, Lucas, Young Link, Pichu
1st Party: Ridley, Inkling, "Mario Character" (Daisy, Toad or Waluigi), K. Rool, Dixie, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario, Ashley, Isaac
3rd Party: "Final Fantasy", Bayonetta, Geno

..That's better.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Right then!

Second draft incoming.

Veterans: Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Roy, Lucas, Young Link, Pichu
1st Party: Ridley, Inkling, "Mario Character" (Daisy, Toad or Waluigi), K. Rool, Dixie, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario, Ashley, Isaac

..That's better.
...And now it's only 19 characters instead of 20.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Guess who got left out this time.

It was Pokémon Trainer.

This is what happens when I multi-task. XD
That is too relatable.

About the list, I feel like Paper Mario probably wouldn't hit the top 20 since his series has taken a plunge in appeal recently. Banjo & Kazooie would likely be ahead of him.

And if we're going to place Sonic characters into one group, I think they're likely to make top 20 as well. Maybe a top 25 would work better so nobody has to be left out.

KMDP

Smash Legend
That is too relatable.

About the list, I feel like Paper Mario probably wouldn't hit the top 20 since his series has taken a plunge in appeal recently. Banjo & Kazooie would likely be ahead of him.

And if we're going to place Sonic characters into one group, I think they're likely to make top 20 as well. Maybe a top 25 would work better so nobody has to be left out.
All true. XD

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I saw this in another thread: https://youtu.be/CT-DmdaLH_Q

Curse my mind the first thing I thought of was "Camelot developed Mario Tennis Aces and now they're going to have some kind of announcement with Smash Bros = Isaac in Smash"

:p

Seriously though I'm not sure what this is supposed to be? Is this happening or is it a fake YouTube account?

Edit: Well it has over 800k subscribers so it can't be fake. It really looks like we're getting a duel Smash Bros Ultimate/Mario Tennis Aces direct/announcement on the 16th of July.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Curse my mind the first thing I thought of was "Camelot developed Mario Tennis Aces and now they're going to have some kind of announcement with Smash Bros = Isaac in Smash"

Seriously though I'm not sure what this is supposed to be? Is this happening or is it a fake YouTube account?
According to Google Translate:
"Aim for 3 consecutive wins! Winning Challenge In Jump Victory Carnival 2018 Tokyo Venue"
Still not sure what it means but they're probably aren't announcing anything new.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
According to Google Translate:
"Aim for 3 consecutive wins! Winning Challenge In Jump Victory Carnival 2018 Tokyo Venue"
Still not sure what it means but they're probably aren't announcing anything new.
Of course I forgot it's probably some competition they're going to be live streaming.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Right then!

Second draft incoming.

Veterans: Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Pokémon Trainer, Roy, Lucas, Young Link, Pichu

..That's better.
Nah.
About the veterans, Lucas was already announced at the time the ballot was open, and Roy maybe suffered from being datamined in that time. Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers (and probably Roy) were very popular, the other ones, not that much.
Regarding the 3rd parties, Rayman had a huge boost on his popularity because of the Smashified fake, apart from Banjo&Kazooie which it's always been a pipe dream for a lot of people. And don't forget the two indies, Shovel Knight and Shantae, the first one being the 1st pick for a lot of youtubers who asked to vote for him and the second one having a strong campaign by her creators (also the former, but it wasn't that exaggerated).

Also, in my opinion, I don't think Ashley was that popular in that time (in the West she didn't have any support (basically because she was an AT) and in Japan, Bandana Dee and Magolor were huge in Miiverse, they were always the first drawings by popularity). But well, it's a personal thought.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Edit: Well it has over 800k subscribers so it can't be fake. It really looks like we're getting a duel Smash Bros Ultimate/Mario Tennis Aces direct/announcement on the 16th of July.
I had the same thought too.

...I want to believe...
Nah.
About the veterans, Lucas was already announced at the time the ballot was open, and Roy maybe suffered from being datamined in that time. Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers (and probably Roy) were very popular, the other ones, not that much.
Regarding the 3rd parties, Rayman had a huge boost on his popularity because of the Smashified fake, apart from Banjo&Kazooie which it's always been a pipe dream for a lot of people. And don't forget the two indies, Shovel Knight and Shantae, the first one being the 1st pick for a lot of youtubers who asked to vote for him and the second one having a strong campaign by her creators (also the former, but it wasn't that exaggerated).

Also, in my opinion, I don't think Ashley was that popular in that time (in the West she didn't have any support (basically because she was an AT) and in Japan, Bandana Dee and Magolor were huge in Miiverse, they were always the first drawings by popularity). But well, it's a personal thought.
That list is meant to be a Worldwide thing. When you mention Smashified boosting up Rayman, that only really influences America (and a relatively small number of people at that).

Since Lucas was already announced, you can just bump up "Sonic Character" or Banjo-Kazooie from my previous list, both if you also take out Roy.

Additionally, I wouldn't put too much stock in the Indie characters, to be frank; Youtubers asking for votes for Shovel Knight is still a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
Feel like playing Golden Sun again, my PC got re formatted so i'm gonna have to start from part 1 T_T. If Isaac does become playing, mark my words i'll make play through of Golden Sun on YouTube and Twitch though =D

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
In all likelihood they probably won't push many inclusions as due to the ballot. This is hardly the first Smash poll to shape the roster behind the scenes, but you rarely hear about how they explicitly helped in building the roster. The closest we may get is them stating characters got in "due to popular demand". I mean Snake, Bomberman, Krystal, Knuckles, Toad's larger role... for all we know some/all of these could be due to the ballot.

Despite the ballot likely having considerable sway over this game, I personally am not expecting much to be attributed to it this time around.
I sort of feel the same way as this. I think Sakurai will just do what he usually does. Picks expected/popular requested characters and mix those in with characters that aren't as expected. Some of these newcomers will likely be a product of the ballot or just large fan demand in general.

Top Bottom