• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I honestly don't remember Bandana Dee being this popular during the ballot. I guess the supporters were drowned out by the constant discussion of K. Rool, Isaac, indies, etc...

Geno being lower than Shantae and Paper Mario surprises me, but I guess maybe some of his supporters were demoralized since this was probably from before the costume stuff happened.

Otherwise, I don't have much else to say on this. The top characters would all be pretty great additions imo, don't know much about what Paper Mario could do differently from normal Mario personally since I've never played the Paper Mario games. I like most of these characters overall.
I think BD is that character everyone likes, but is not that notable otherwise. He is loved in Japan though.

About Geno, yeah, most of the votes were pre costume reveal in all likelihood.

I am happy Shantae is so high though, she is literally number 2 when it comes to third parties, and number 1 is stinking B&K!

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
It's a technicality, but is it because the GBA couldn't handle that many adepts? I was pretty sure that it was to mix up the variability in gameplay. Imagine it - if both linked players at the same 4 characters, both players would do the same things to each other and wouldn't change up their strategies to fight. It's a mirror match each time. If you had 3 on 3, you could at least be forced to guess who your linked challenger chose in order to have the correct mix of djinni/adepts to fight with. I was pretty sure I read or heard that from somewhere, maybe a gamefaqs FAQ way back.
No idea to be honest, that's what I was told.

I don't know if this image has been posted here, but it's a pie chart of the remaining contenders of the Smash Poll Consolidation document. To say Issac is in a good position is an understatement, but I am curious on your guys opinions on some of the other placements.
Banjo/Kazooie would be nice, but they don't beyong to Nintendo, however they must have done well in the poll and are really iconic, I'd be surprise if Nintendo and Microsoft did not have a talk. Remember the minecraft ad were we you play crossplay Switch/Xbox, Nintendo and Microsoft might want to show a buddy/buddy image to the public.

In Bandana Waddle Dee case, I believe that third party and newcomers from series whit no representation have priority over him. He should be in if there was time/some spots left.

In don't think that Paper Mario is likely, we already have 2 Mario and Paper Mario really doesn't need representation whit another Mario.

Shantae, I have no idea, I know that she exist since the GBA, which makes her more retro then Shovel Knight. If Sakurai wants to ad Nindies, Shantae will 100% be the choice (I believe that since Smash is a celebration of Video Games, she should be in, but I don't think it will happen this time sadly base on nothing).

Geno will be in since we all know that Square Enix and Nintendo are buddy/buddy. TBH if we really only have 2 final fantasy songs I can't see how Geno could make it Sadly. I think it depends on Square and not Sakurai at this point. He wants to add the character, and he must have been popular in the pool.

Magalor: WTH is he???

Dixie Kong: Easy echo, and I heard that Diddy lost is jab whit is tail, she is a logical choice and some easy female representation.

Sora: Square and Disney, unlikely, I don't think that KH can have good representation whitout Disney, and those two combine... (I like Sora)

Rayman: He would fit perfectly, but he is a westerner, if Nintendo and Ubisoft have more plans in the future, likely for DLC.

Wonder Red: Unlikely, at this point I believe that third party and more popular characters will be add before him.

Captain Toad: No hate, but why? He is just another Swordf.... seriously I don't see why he should be in before anyone else, Mario as plenty of representation.

Pheonix Wright: I love AT, I love the Music and I know that he was in a fighting game before, it just that he is... kinda too much of a joke character in my opinion.(Same for Layton)

Viridi: Kid Icarus is easilly top 5 of my favorite games of all time, but she really doesn't deserve a spot in my opinion.

Shadow: IN

Micaiah: Robin Echo, 99% unlikely, unless Japan is taken whit a wave of feminist and they somehow needs to have 50/50 gender ratio in the rooster (Might happen whit a remake I guess, but don't you dare do it before Genealogy of the Holy War IS).

The rest I don't know who they are.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Shantae, I have no idea, I know that she exist since the GBA, which makes her more retro then Shovel Knight. If Sakurai wants to ad Nindies, Shantae will 100% be the choice (I believe that since Smash is a celebration of Video Games, she should be in, but I don't think it will happen this time sadly base on nothing).

Geno will be in since we all know that Square Enix and Nintendo are buddy/buddy. TBH if we really only have 2 final fantasy songs I can't see how Geno could make it Sadly. I think it depends on Square and not Sakurai at this point. He wants to add the character, and he must have been popular in the pool.
There actually is more evidence than you would think when it comes to Shantae. It would take way to long to go through it, and this is not really the place, but go check out the Shantae thread, it is criminaly slept on to me.
As for the whole 2 FF songs, it's the composer that's likely causing the problem. Square has been lax on everything else, being very hands off with Cloud and his development, but it appears that the composer for FF7 is both expensive and very stingy with his songs from what I hear. Don't quote me on that, but that seems like the more likely problem.

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
Paper mario in his games utilizes a hammer and he has some allies that could work for his moveset, TTYD was the only one i played and I can say he wouldn't play anything like normal mario (as a mario main trust me XD). as for bandana dee, I myself don't really enjoy playing as the kirby reps we have so far in smash and could see myself playing bandanna dee, he'd also be the first spear user and in FE spears beat swords so he'd be an easy counter pick ;).

Icana

Smash Apprentice
There actually is more evidence than you would think when it comes to Shantae. It would take way to long to go through it, and this is not really the place, but go check out the Shantae thread, it is criminaly slept on to me.
As for the whole 2 FF songs, it's the composer that's likely causing the problem. Square has been lax on everything else, being very hands off with Cloud and his development, but it appears that the composer for FF7 is both expensive and very stingy with his songs from what I hear. Don't quote me on that, but that seems like the more likely problem.
Isn't the composer of FF 7 Nobou Uematsu, the composer of the main theme to Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hmm I never thought of it like that. After all when you think about it everything else Square have produced buckets off. We got Cloud, a kick-ass stage brimming with summons, a Geno costume, Chocobo costumes and Cloud has returned as well.

If Square were being so tight they wouldn't have allowed Cloud back in but sure enough he is. I think the composer being stingy might be the reason for the lack of tracks. Also notice how neither of them have been remixed in any way?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We'll get further than the most posted character thread. What's the most posted one? Ever?

Also, I hope you all realize, we're playing the longest game here. We need another Golden Sun, and I think we can do it.
For Ultimate, sure, we'll probably surpass K. Rool's, which is still the biggest, but in general... Ridley's Smash 4 thread had 78,000+ posts. So good luck...

Fwiw Isaac's had 19,000+ posts.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
I know that Shantae wasn't deconfirm yet, do you have a link to your evidence, I don't feel like reading every post one by one sadly, this thread is hard enough to follow already.

I might support Santae if Isaac make it in, I don't really know the character but I love seing new series in Smash. ;D

As for FF, shouldn't Square own the Music? Why can't they use not remix one?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Was it the biggest Brawl one too?

And how much is K. Rool's? I'm sure we can get to 20k.
Geno had the biggest Brawl one at 17,000. Of characters that didn't make the cut, at least. Ridley had multiple threads, but combined they were still less than the Geno thread. And last I checked, which was a week or two back, K. Rool's thread was at around 8k.

None of this is to encourage posting for the sake of posting btw, I'd hope everyone actually has something to say when contributing to the thread, but more just to give a sense of where we stand atm. Not that it's particularly meaningful, as post count remains an ineffective way to deduce demand, but perhaps, if nothing else, it's interesting metrics.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Geno had the biggest Brawl one at 17,000. Of characters that didn't make the cut, at least. Ridley had multiple threads, but combined they were still less than the Geno thread. And last I checked, which was a week or two back, K. Rool's thread was at around 8k.

None of this is to encourage posting for the sake of posting btw, I'd hope everyone actually has something to say when contributing to the thread, but more just to give a sense of where we stand atm. Not that it's particularly meaningful, as post count remains an ineffective way to deduce demand, but perhaps, if nothing else, it's interesting metrics.
I think we should just be happy that for the first time in Smashboards history, Isaac is now the frontrunner of most-talked about in a Smash Hype Window.

Has that ever happened before for our golden boy?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think we should just be happy that for the first time in Smashboards history, Isaac is now the frontrunner of most-talked about in a Smash Hype Window.

Has that ever happened before for our golden boy?
Well... in 09/10 he was the most popular pick thanks to Dark Dawn, but that's not a particularly meaningful era. Brawl was still fresh and the Smash 4 section didn't exist yet. There was only a single thread to discuss the ill-defined future of Smash.

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
outta curiosity what time zone are y'all in? I'm in PST and it feels like this thread gets so much activity while i'm sleeping XD

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

Absolutely. I'm just making it absolutely clear that we're playing the long term game here and want to keep people motivated - I'll talk about this more later in the PM we have, but I know there's been multiple cases of Camelot fans (mostly from Shining Force) giving up on these campaigns pre-emptively.

People that work at Nintendo are probably skimming through and can see we're talking about, of all characters, Isaac from Golden Sun.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I know that Shantae wasn't deconfirm yet, do you have a link to your evidence, I don't feel like reading every post one by one sadly, this thread is hard enough to follow already.
I will link these two video's, as they both highlight some good points about Shantae. But I will bring up some points.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVbt-pQo-Y&t=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxOboUFdfDc
The one flaw he got in these video's was that nothing happened for Shantae during the Nindies direct, but no one in the Shantae thread was really expecting the announcement to be there.

-Wayforward has been super hush about Shantae for Smash ever since really early 2016, despite being one of the first and most vocal when it came to wanting her in
-Shantae's new free mode "Jamies Mode" feature some very suspicous word choice
-Shantae has not guess stared in any indie fighting game, even when Shovel Knight and other guest star in the game
-Shantae has a big history with Nintendo(Fun fact, Shantae appeared in Warioware DIY)
-Shantae has a large following in Japan
-Around the time of the ballot, Pirates Curse was hailed as a big success and Half Genie Hero was successfully funded, giving much positive attention to her.
This is not all of the points(I am slightly tired, and I don't want to go on too hard of a spiel in a thread that aint hers), but I think this will at least show that she has potential.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I will link these two video's, as they both highlight some good points about Shantae. But I will bring up some points.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVbt-pQo-Y&t=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxOboUFdfDc
The one flaw he got in these video's was that nothing happened for Shantae during the Nindies direct, but no one in the Shantae thread was really expecting the announcement to be there.

-Wayforward has been super hush about Shantae for Smash ever since really early 2016, despite being one of the first and most vocal when it came to wanting her in
-Shantae's new free mode "Jamies Mode" feature some very suspicous word choice
-Shantae has not guess stared in any indie fighting game, even when Shovel Knight and other guest star in the game
-Shantae has a big history with Nintendo(Fun fact, Shantae appeared in Warioware DIY)
-Shantae has a large following in Japan
-Around the time of the ballot, Pirates Curse was hailed as a big success and Half Genie Hero was successfully funded, giving much positive attention to her.
This is not all of the points(I am slightly tired, and I don't want to go on too hard of a spiel in a thread that aint hers), but I think this will at least show that she has potential.
Jamies Mode? What is suspicous about the word choice?

And yeh I'd agree on the others but I have a feeling she'd make her debut as an Assist Trophy first

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
outta curiosity what time zone are y'all in? I'm in PST and it feels like this thread gets so much activity while i'm sleeping XD
I'm EST, I'm just working night works, so when I'm off I don't have much else to do but game and do random things online. Btw, I just got a part of the trident from Tundaria tower in TLA. Making some good headway to get to Lemuria.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Jamies Mode? What is suspicous about the word choice?

And yeh I'd agree on the others but I have a feeling she'd make her debut as an Assist Trophy first
For the trailer, it had this bit.
"But that's not all... WARNING - A NEW TRANSFORMATION APPROACHES"
At the begingn of the mode, Shantae says...
"I just had the coolest idea! It's the perfect way to thank everyone who helped me get through me recent adventures! Not just Uncle... Or Sky, and Bolo, and Rottytops... but EVERYONE! I'm going to host the ULTIMATE SLUMBER PARTY! And everyone's invited!"
"I'm going to give everyone I know an INVITATION to my Ultimate Slumber Party! I won't leave anyone out!"

There is also something at the end of the mode that is possibly alluding to something in the future, but I can't work spoilers well, so I will just link to the end of the mode so you can see for yourselves if you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z17KH5CgAw

Edit: Here's the trailer I mentioned in the begining
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYhNzTfP0Og

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I'm pretty much 99% sure sakurai's tweet is a hint for Golden sun. But I still don't get why people think the moon as an AT and a couple of chairs hints at skull kid. It's very weak evidence if you ask me. Theres a lot of hype around both as of late and fake leakers definitely play on that.

Last edited:

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
Hey, my Isaac support video should work now. Darn YouTube and it's copyright haha.

You have my undying respect!! Also, posted a reply on Twitter to Loz18's post about Golden Eye and this is what I got kind of Stretch I got.

https://twitter.com/KemokianReborn/status/1031873923770671104

Did I crack da code? lol xD

Also, Silo if you have a Twitter account put that video up there or we could ask IVA to share it on his Twitter, it would be hilarious.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It has occurred to me that Skull Kid might not be an assist because his role has changed to being a boss in adventure mode.

It's really hard to see what way Skull Kid will go.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
As far as we know he could even return as an AT, but the same can be said for Isaac sadly.
Gotta admit though it would be amazing to have Ganondorf, Skull kid and Vaati facing their 3 respective Links.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
As far as we know he could even return as an AT, but the same can be said for Isaac sadly.
Gotta admit though it would be amazing to have Ganondorf, Skull kid and Vaati facing their 3 respective Links.
He probably isn't an AT. It would make more sense for the Moon and Skull Kid to have the same AT with SK summoning the Moon.

I think he either made it as a playable character or as Sabre pointed out a boss in adventure mode

Casing point: Hyrule Warriors shows how an AT featuring both does work better then the Moon on its own.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
He probably isn't an AT. It would make more sense for the Moon and Skull Kid to have the same AT with SK summoning the Moon.

I think he either made it as a playable character or as Sabre pointed out a boss in adventure mode

Casing point: Hyrule Warriors shows how an AT featuring both does work better then the Moon on its own.
But why make the moon an AT when you can make it Skull kid's final smash ? That's what bugs me the most.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
But why make the moon an AT when you can make it Skull kid's final smash ? That's what bugs me the most.
Who says it isn't? We are talking about a game Ridley was too big and now isn't. Olimar is tiny in his game but now Mario sized. And most of the Zelda reps are from different games now.

I really think the Consistency Rulebook is out the window by now

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Who says it isn't? We are talking about a game Ridley was too big and now isn't. Olimar is tiny in his game but now Mario sized. And most of the Zelda reps are from different games now.

I really doubt the Consistency Rulebook is out the window by now
Of course, but I seriously doubt they would have a final smash be the same thing as an AT it would make it less special.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Of course, but I seriously doubt they would have a final smash be the same thing as an AT it would make it less special.
Which would lend credence to SK being a boss in 'Spirits' mode instead which could very well be possible. Also, is there nothing else to base his final smash on instead of the moon in game lore? I've also heard people say that we haven't seen Young Link's final smash for reasons related to this entire thing. Maybe they use SK in there? Who knows, really?

Also, this reminds me of another point to bring up. Earlier I talked about ATs and others had as well. Well, every console Zelda game as at least one AT attached to it - does this mean there's one less AT spot because BotW will have one to add as well? Also I imagine there'd be one for Mario Odyssey as well... That AT list is dwindling pretty fast.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say Rikki is exactly the same but I get your point Tetiro.

If I had to guess Yng Link final smash and admiting it's based on Majora's mask it would be the ultimate mask (can't remember how it's called). I think Sakurai learned his lesson with Chrom treatment and will not include a wanted character in another one's Final smash.

Of course all this is pure speculation from my part and I could be like totally wrong here.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Which would lend credence to SK being a boss in 'Spirits' mode instead which could very well be possible. Also, is there nothing else to base his final smash on instead of the moon in game lore? I've also heard people say that we haven't seen Young Link's final smash for reasons related to this entire thing. Maybe they use SK in there? Who knows, really?

Also, this reminds me of another point to bring up. Earlier I talked about ATs and others had as well. Well, every console Zelda game as at least one AT attached to it - does this mean there's one less AT spot because BotW will have one to add as well? Also I imagine there'd be one for Mario Odyssey as well... That AT list is dwindling pretty fast.
People think Skull Kid will use Majora's Wrath as his final smash. It would involve the mask leaving Skull Kid temporarily and transforming into its Majora's Wrath form. (The Mask basically grows a body of its own with tendrils, kinda like an Eldritch horror.)

They also think Young Link is going to have Fierce Deity Link as his final smash. Which is a mask you get late in Majora's Mask that helps you in the fight against Majora.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
So if Loz gets it right, will people still be in denial about him? Just curious… I stand neutral regarding his situation, as i don't care about leakers behavior but what comes in the end being proven right or wrong till the reveals happen and the game is released.
If Skull Kid is in the game Loz would get brownie points, however, If Isaac is in, then yeah, more people would shift their opinion about him. At this point, I just want to know about Isaac or not. Seems like the hype is building up higher since the brawl days.

I don't want to be let down, but I am happy to see so much optimism here
People think Skull Kid will use Majora's Wrath as his final smash. It would involve the mask leaving Skull Kid temporarily and transforming into its Majora's Wrath form. (The Mask basically grows a body of its own with tendrils, kinda like an Eldritch horror.)

They also think Young Link is going to have Fierce Deity Link as his final smash. Which is a mask you get late in Majora's Mask that helps you in the fight against Majora.
I wish Young Link has a Majora's Mask look. Oot young link using the fierce deity mask will be jarring.

We've now surpassed the Ashley thread in page count. 0_0
Does that make us the number 1 supporters here? Oh makes me nervous, oh so nervous

Tetiro

Smash Ace
If Skull Kid is in the game Loz would get brownie points, however, If Isaac is in, then yeah, more people would shift their opinion about him. At this point, I just want to know about Isaac or not. Seems like the hype is building up higher since the brawl days.

I don't want to be let down, but I am happy to see so much optimism here

I wish Young Link has a Majora's Mask look. Oot young link using the fierce deity mask will be jarring.

Does that make us the number 1 supporters here? Oh makes me nervous, oh so nervous
Terrifying thought isn't it? We're no 1. And less than a 100 posts from the 7,000 post marker!

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Luckily, this time we really don't have to wait too, too long for an answer. I remember Sm4sh speculation and Brawl speculation and that those lasted what felt like eons since it went on for more than a year each time. If Sakurai kills me, I just want a quick and painless death unlike last time. I can almost cynically see the next direct introducing 20 more characters and Isaac not being one of them. Hopefully we don't live in the darkest of timelines... still have a lot of hope he's in though.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Do you think we'll get new character reveal each month till release ? If we suppose their would be 1 or 2 newcomers (not counting echoes here) per month, total would range between 3 and 6. Sounds like a very plausible schedule. Let's hope Sakurai wouldn't tease Isaac so soon if it's gonna be a late reveal.

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
Isaac's all I've wanted since the pre-Brawl days.

If he gets announced then I can be retroactively excited for everything since then.

Top Bottom