• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I think Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven are the most likely Nintendo IPs to make their debut alongside Splatoon.
Let's go over the possible new franchises. actual statics as well as using their history in smash to determine if they could join smash.

- Golden Sun (Biggest choice on the ballot, and a character that was an assist trophy, and a character asked for years.)

- Wonderful101 (Second biggest choice of the ballot, and the only wii u IP Nintendo could intergrate into smash. Good timing.)

- Custom Robo (while on the top 25, he did have a trophy at one point. I love CR, but i give him a 50/50 chance.)

- Chibi-robo (...and he was so low on the ballot. 70% assist trophy.)

- Sin and Punishment (Wasn't on the ballot, but the japanese poll stastics could be incorrect. Sakurai loves the series, and his AT wasn't cut. But, he might be an assist trophy the more i think of it...)

- Ryhtem Heaven (They had a scrapped fighter in early development. However, the statics in the poll were pretty low compared to her support previously. Not sure.)

And there you have it! the possible candidates for a new fighter to represent a new franchise in smash!

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I keep seeing this brought up.

For those who think Isaac not having a Mii costume hurt his chances; They have no significance to said character getting in. The Smash Direct should have proven that. If that was true, Ashley and Takamaru should have been playable and Ridley shouldn't since he doesn't have one like Isaac. So please, don't let it cloud you with doubt.

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I keep seeing this brought up.

For those who think Isaac not having a Mii costume hurt his chances; They have no significance to said character getting in. The Smash Direct should have proven that. If that was true, Ashley and Takamaru should have been playable and Ridley shouldn't since he doesn't have one like Isaac. So please, don't let it cloud you with doubt.
I think being a Mii costume help, not dictate who will be or who won't, but help the chances

alguidrag

Smash Ace
It didn't help Ashley's chances. :p
Yep... its like, how can I say... a trailer of a anime that will never be animated, will make fans hopes high, and if demand is high enough can be animated, but won't

(also you saw the video I posted? I'm bad at posting so I don't know if it worked)

B00M

Smash Rookie
Everybody thinks up movesets for Isaac, but has anybody thought up movesets for non-Isaac/Felix GS characters? I'm curious who, besides those two, people would want to see and how they think they would play.
Your post inspired me to dig out an old hard drive with Brawl movesets I made for Jenna and Mia back in 2007. I was awfully hopeful back then... (Final Smashes didn't even have a name yet, so I just had them listed as "Brawl/Super", lol).

Jenna

B: Supernova: When B is pressed, Jenna will create and hold a tiny glowing star in front of her with both hands. It will slowly grow brighter over the next few seconds until its light completely envelops Jenna, at which point it explodes. The explosion creates a dome of flaming energy which briefly surrounds Jenna, causing massive damage and knockback to any opponent within range. The move is similar to a slightly slower Falcon Punch hurting anyone within melee-sword distance in all directions.
B^: Phoenix: Jenna glows a bright orange before igniting and sprouting a pair of large flaming wings which flap to send her diagonally upward a good distance. Works as an offensive move in addition to recovery, since anyone who touches the wings of fire will be stunned and take slight damage.
B>: Serpent Fume: Jenna unleashes a large serpent-shaped flame from her outstretched arms, which can be controlled like Ness B^ PK thunder but with the range of Zelda’s B> fireball. Hitting someone with the serpent’s head causes medium damage and knockback, while any character that jumps or falls into the flame tail trailing the serpent (which extends from Jenna’s arms) receives minor damage.
Bv: Pyroclasm: If Bv is simply tapped, Jenna will slam her staff into the ground beneath her and a pillar of lava will erupt to a height a bit lower than the peak of her second jump. The lava pillar is useful for catching opponents in the air as long as they are not too high, and has decent damage and good knockback. If the player holds Bv, Jenna will fall to one knee and concentrate as a miniature volcano begins to grow beneath her, getting bigger each second up until the maximum of five. If B is released any time before the fifth second, the effect will be no different than tapping Bv. However, if B is held down for the full five seconds, Jenna will stand up and be able to move again while the volcano remains in place. Jenna will be able to fight the same as before; except that the next time Bv is used the volcano will erupt (wherever it was placed, even if Jenna is nowhere close), sending a slightly wider lava pillar with even greater damage and knockback twice as high as usual. If Jenna dies before using a set volcano, it will disappear back into the ground without erupting.

A: Scorching Blow: Jenna makes a horizontal slash with her staff.
AA: Torch: Jenna swings her staff back across her body, this time with gentle flames trailing from the tip.
AAA: Blaze: Jenna holds out her free hand to unleash a short-ranged burst of fire.
A>: Heat Wave: Jenna makes an two-handed overhead swing with her staff, which is glowing red from extreme heat.
A>>: Fever Pitch: A cloud of smoke swirls around Jenna as she charges the smash. When the move is unleashed, Jenna spins her staff-holding arm behind her while releasing the Mars djinni Fever from her forward-swinging free hand. The flaming djinni bursts forward a standard smash distance before disintegrating and returning to Jenna.
A^: Shine: Jenna holds the Mars djinni Shine above her head with one hand for a moment, who is surrounded by dazzling sparks to singe opponents.
A^^: Eruption: Smoke rises from Jenna’s staff which she holds close to her stomach when the move is initiated. When the smash is used, Jenna lifts her staff and twirls it above her head as spinning flames shoot outward and embers rain down across her body.
Av: Dire Inferno: Jenna performs a simple kick from her crouched position.
Avv: Fiery Abyss: Jenna kneels with a glowing free hand, and fluctuations in the air can be seen as waves of heat rise from the ground surrounding her. When the smash is released, Jenna places her glowing hand onto the ground just as searing blue flames erupt to about knee height on both sides of her crouched figure. Has similar range to Yoshi’s Avv double tail swipe, but both sides are hit simultaneously.
runA: Fire Dance: Jenna performs a ballerina-like twirl while holding her staff above her head and surrounding herself in an inverted tornado of fire.

airA: Flora: The goddess from the summon appears briefly behind Jenna to produce a flurry of razor-sharp flower petals. The petals swirl swiftly around Jenna who has her legs bent at the knees and tucked slightly upward toward her chest.
airA^: Planetary: Jenna sets her staff ablaze and thrusts it straight upwards.
airA>: Incinerate: Jenna once again uses her psynergy and staff in tandem and twirls the flaming weapon in front of her for three to five rotations.
airA<: Reflux: Jenna tucks her legs and arms in fully as the Mars djinni Reflux makes two laps around her; first horizontally and then vertically. The djinni only ignites to burn and damage opponents while behind Jenna.
airAv: Dying Embers: Jenna faces both of her palms downward (the staff is still in one hand) with her arms fully extended and produces what look like feathers of fire to float down upon and stun her enemies.

Z: Grab: Jenna grabs her opponent with both hands while maintaining hold of her staff.
Z^: Megaera: Jenna uses all of her strength to toss her opponent into the air, where the goddess of vengeance appears and knocks them upward with her blade.
Z>: Tisiphone Edge: Jenna draws the light blade from her cloak and uses the weapon’s powerful unleash, Vengeance, to launch a volley of green arrows forward and slightly upward at her opponent.
Z<: Searing Beam: Jenna tosses her foe behind her then blasts them diagonally upward with psynergy in the form of a thin beam surrounded by a swirl of fire.
Zv: Molten Bath: Jenna trips her opponent and then holds her arms out to produce a transparent sphere of energy filled with molten rock that is dripping through the bottom. She hops out of the way just before the sphere pops and a stream of magma pours onto her foe.
Z+A: Kindle: Jenna maintains her grip as flares shoot up from each of her hands to singe her opponent.

Shield: Corona: Similar to most other characters except that it glows brightly and Corona (the defensive heat aura djinni) is in the center.

Taunts:
Flames of Passion: Jenna leaps in celebration with one arm extended skyward then poses to blow a kiss toward the screen after landing.
Fiery Temper: Jenna clenches her hands into fists in front of her chest, stares at the ground, and stomps her foot as a raging wall of fire outlines her from behind.

Final Smash: Meteor: Jenna extends one arm toward the sky as four Mars djinni appear and circle her faster and faster until they disappear. The sky grows dark and the stage begins to rumble as small fireballs fall from the top of the screen dealing minor damage to anyone hit. After a few moments, a huge meteor enters from the top of the stage and crashes down a few feet in front of Jenna. Once it appears, the meteor crashes into the stage fairly quickly so that it is difficult to avoid if you are in front of Jenna, but once it lands, it buries itself into the ground slowly for exaggerated effect. The meteor deals tremendous damage and knockback to those within its range, which begins about a hookshot’s length in front of Jenna and should cover most of the stage

Entrance: A small volcano quickly forms and erupts just after a Mars djinni blasts forth with Jenna in tow. The djinni vanishes once Jenna is free from the volcano, and she lands safely where the volcano was just reabsorbed into the ground.

Victory Screens:
1: Multiple sustained eruptions burst from the ground and slowly swirl around Jenna’s position as she tucks her waving hair behind her right ear.
2: Jenna holds one of her palms up in front of her and creates a ball of fire. After a moment, Jenna sculpts the flames into the shape of a small dragon that swings its tail and spreads its wings before she closes her palm into a loose fist and extinguishes the fire.
3: Jenna tosses a handful of glowing embers into the air which sparkle like stars for a bit before detonating into tiny puffs of smoke.
4: Two Mars djinni escape from Jenna’s cloak and she chases them to the left edge of the screen and halfway back, when she trips over one of them that stopped to sit on the ground while the other kept moving right. Due to the surprise, Jenna accidentally causes a big explosion near the ground that sends a cloud of smoke to cover the entire screen. After a second or two, the smoke begins to clear as Jenna can be seen waving it away and dusting herself off, with one djinni sitting on her shoulder and the other on her head.

I'll post Mia's in a minute after I fix the formatting.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Oh Yeah the Victory animations
I want so much one of Isaac's Victory Animations be he fist bumping the Psyenergy hand

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I have no personal connection to Golden Sun at all. Never played one of the Golden Sun games in my life.

But for the sake of fans like you all, as well as the character and his franchise, I hope this is his time to finally join the battle. There's little I want of Isaac from a personal standpoint, but lately I've just began to feel like he's one of the characters that truly deserves it right now.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I have no personal connection to Golden Sun at all. Never played one of the Golden Sun games in my life.

But for the sake of fans like you all, as well as the character and his franchise, I hope this is his time to finally join the battle. There's little I want of Isaac from a personal standpoint, but lately I've just began to feel like he's one of the characters that truly deserves it right now.
As much as appreciate the gesture, I also appreciate the honesty. ^^ I'm glad you're giving your hope to us as a fanbase, and espically with little to no history with the character.

And hey, if it turns that Isaac is should back as an assist trophy, that's WAY better than getting shelved along with his series.

*and there's always next game. :p*

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace

This. This right here is why I think he might actually have a shot. People that don’t even know the franchise feel like he deserves it. It’s a beautiful thing.

B00M

Smash Rookie
Here we go - 2nd text wall incoming, haha!

Mia

B: Nereid: The goddess with the fan from the summon appears behind Mia (the goddess can be passed through) as water begins to gush gently from a geyser beneath Mia’s feet. As long as B is held, the water appears to get more violent and rises to just above Mia’s knees. If B is held for a full 5 seconds, two more geysers appear on both sides of Mia and all three erupt towards the sky (like a reverse thunder, with similar vertical distance) dealing massive damage with good knockback. If B is released any time before the 5th second, only the center geyser will erupt, with half the height and reduced power.
B^: Froth Spiral: Mia is surrounded and lifted diagonally upward by a tornado of bubbles, which leave behind a trail causing light damage. A short spiral of the bubbles also appears above Mia’s head, allowing the move to be used offensively.
B>: Ice Missile: A flurry of sharp ice chunks rain down diagonally forward from just above Mia’s extended staff.
Bv: Blinding Fog: Mia assumes a defensive position as the mercury djinni Fog begins to spin wide circles around her, covering the area in a thick layer of fog, but not hurting anyone. At its peak, the fog will cover a semicircular area extending from the spot where the move was initiated with a radius about ¼ the length of Final Destination. Mia can move around in the fog, and others can enter without harm as well. If Mia remains hidden in the fog long enough for the djinni to launch upwards from the center of the cloud and disappear (about 10 seconds), Mia is finished casting the Reflect psynergy. Mia’s body will automatically reflect any energy attacks (anything previously absorbable by Ness’ Bv) back at her attacker for damage over the next 30 seconds, so that she must be attacked physically or with items. If Mia exits the fog herself or is knocked out of it by an opponent before the djinni disappears, Mia must wait until the move is finished before she can try again. She is also unable to initiate a new Blinding Fog while the Reflect is currently in effect.

A: Rising Swipe: Mia swings her staff similarly to a golf club but a bit more diagonally.
AA: Slice: Mia swings her staff back across the center of her opponent.
A>: Spout: Mia unleashes a very short-ranged water stream that arches into the ground.
A>>: Extreme Cool: Mia extends her arm holding her staff behind her and freezes the staff’s upper half. When the smash is used (can be immediately or after charging), she twirls around on her left foot as she shatters the icy club at the tip of her staff across her opponent sending them flying.
A^: Djinni Crescent: Mia extends an arm toward the air as a mercury djinni flies out of her cloak and circles just above her hand, knocking away anyone it comes into contact with before looping back into her cloak.
A^^: Freeze Prism: An orb of ice with hail swirling inside appears above Mia’s outstretched arms. The orb breaks when Mia uses the smash and anyone touching the orb gets whipped around and launched upward by the miniature blizzard.
Av: Staff Jab: Mia pokes her staff straight forward just above the ground while ducking to trip up her opponent.
Avv: Absolute Zero: Mia raises her hand holding her staff across her chest as she freezes the ground directly beneath her with the other. Upon releasing the smash, Mia lifts her left leg so it is no longer touching the ground and bends over slightly as she rapidly extends her staff outward diagonally toward the floor and spins 360 degrees.

runA: Ice Slide: Taking a page out of Iceman’s book, Mia creates a short, icy slide that moves with her beneath her feet. Sharp icicles connected to the front of the moving slide stab Mia’s foes.

airA: Full Moon: Mia tucks in her legs as a mercury djinni flies a single complete circle around her.
airA^: Overcast: A cloudiness surrounds Mia’s staff as she swings it from front to back above her head.
airA>: Snow Flurry: Mia holds her hands out in front of her with the free palm open and creates a miniature explosion of ice to blast away foes.
airA<: Elegant Whirl: Mia spins (not flips) 360 degrees with her staff held straight out in one hand to hit anything behind her.
airAv: Staff Sweep: Mia tucks in her legs and sweeps her staff beneath her from front to back.

Z: Grab: Mia grabs her opponent with both hands while maintaining hold of her staff.
Z^: Cold Spell: Mia grabs her staff with both hands and slams its center upwards into her opponents jaw, then follows up by blasting them with a powerful water stream.
Z>: Mercury Vortex: Mia maintains hold of her foe as a mercury djinni does a backflip out of her cloak, then rams the opponent forward before vanishing.
Z<: Polar Front: Mia encases her opponent in a block of solid ice, not unlike the effect of a freezie. She then jumps past her frozen foe and spins around to smash the ice with her staff, knocking them away.
Zv: Below Freezing: Mia sweeps the opponent’s legs out from beneath them with her staff, then hops on them once.
Z+A: Toe Stomp: Mia stomps on her opponent’s foot.

Shield: Shade: Similar to most other characters except that it is made of water and Shade (the water shield djinni) is in the center.

Taunt: Ply: Mia raises her empty hand and produces a thin cylinder of sparkling water, which cascades gently around her before the last bit spirals to the floor. Mia’s completed taunt takes about 3 seconds and also heals 1% of damage.

Final Smash: Coatlicue’s Tidal Wave: The goddess from the Coatlicue summon appears above Mia as a wave begins to form at the Mercury Adept’s feet. The wave grows enormous quickly and washes across the screen drenching Mia’s opponents. It deals slightly less damage and knockback than the average super move, but heals Mia for somewhere around 20% damage per enemy struck.

Entrance: Water seeps through the ground and a geyser erupts, launching Mia into the fray before it subsides.

Victory Screens:
1: Mia sprays a thin layer of water across the top of the screen by waving her arm in an arch, after which a colorful rainbow can be seen amongst the mist.
2: A mercury djinni rests on Mia’s shoulder as she causes a small geyser of water to erupt from the ground and hops on top of the stream, using is as a seat. The djinni then leaps from her shoulder onto her lap and she pets the tiny creature.
3: Mia puts her hands together, palms-up in front of her face, and gently blows the bubbles that begin to appear around the screen. She then watches happily as they float around and pop.
4: As snowflakes begin to fall, Mia draws her cloak tighter around herself, then holds out her staff with one arm as a gust of wind and snow pass by. When the brief blizzard clears, Mia is seen putting the finishing touches on a smiling snowman.

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
omg last night i dreamed that sakurai revealed the last 3 characters and showed ballot results.. he trolled us with showing isaac cancled mii costume..cancelled melee Fighter ( dont even know if golden sun was before melee..but my dream lol...) and then she showed the ballot with isaac not on it just to reveal that he is the overall winner.. that was a dream.. horrible and beautiful

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Joke Character Design 2: The Wise One
All buttons: Float and stare.

Truly the scariest of foes.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Just a few cents on my current thoughts on ATs that we have at the moment and speculation of what's to come. Others have run through it, so it's a good exercise for Isaac. As of today, we have exactly 40, with a tease by Sakurai of 50+. People either work in increments of 5 or 10 so that would be something like 54-59 in the final game. Unless, of course, Sakurai just lied to us. That means that there's a potential of 14-19 left to be shown off.

Barbara, Chain Chomp, Devil, Dillon, Elec Man, Excitebikes, Helirin, Infantry and Tanks, Isaac, Isabelle, Jill, Kat and Ana, Lakitu, Magnus, Mr. Resetti, Nightmare, Phosphora, Ray MK III, Sable Prince, Saki Amamiya, Shadow, Skull Kid and Tingle. For those counting, that's 23.

Seeing Hammer Bros. return, I think it's safe to say Chain Chomp (1) and Lakitu (2) will also return.
I think we're bound to see Infantry and Tanks (3) return as well, even if there is an AW rep incoming.
As much as I would love it, I think Saki Amamiya (4) and will be returning in this role again as well.
Tingle (5) doesn't really have a utility replacement and I don't think he'll be upgraded to playable.
I think Devil (6) returns even if the Squid Sisters do something similar. He'd be easy to bring over and he has not been cut from the past two games.
Kat and Ana (7) is bound to be just shown off randomly in the next direct.
I'll tentatively put both Magnus (8) and Phosphora (9) in this list as well. Magnus because he ports over well as a character to fight and knock out. I just wonder if both are going to be back or if one will be dropped. Seeing as Uprising is Sakurai's baby, I think they'll come over.
Nightmare (10) is one of the very few Kirby ATs and he does something unique.
Dillon (11). He could make the playable leap. He'd probably be a fun character. My gut feelings are that he probably won't though and he'd be a perfect character to fight in the same respects as Saki or Magnus.

The eleven above I think are what I can consider to be "locks" to come back in the same capacity. There's no real reason to drop them from Sm4sh or even some from both Brawl and Sm4sh. Let's do a closer inspection on what we have left:

Barbara was cut from Sm4sh as an AT but was in the Gamer stage in Sm4sh and had a piece of Mii fighter headgear. I think the situation remains the same.
Mr. Resetti is in the same kind of situation. Cut from Sm4sh, is part of the background for Town and City. The situation doesn't change, I think.
Helirin was cut from Sm4sh and I do sort of wonder if it was because of 3DS limitations of extra walls or if it was just simply unpopular. I think it's been dropped this time too simply because it was bland as an AT.
Jill (12) from Drill Dozer was cut from Sm4sh, but you have to wonder why. She wasn't unpopular; Smashboards even has a thread for her to be playable. I'll go out on a limb and guess that she'll be in, but I'm not completely sure on it.
RayMK III (13) is in the same boat as Jill, cut from Sm4sh, but Custom Robo is crazy popular. I'm not sure why they left him out in the first place to be quite honest as he was unique and did something fun as an AT. I'm a little more sure Custom Robo will have something here again.
Elec Man (14), I have a different take on than most others who think he's dropped because of Zero. There's no particular reason to drop Elec Man here in the first place since one represents Mega Man X and the other the original Mega Man. Being such a recent game, there's no reason in particular I can find just snubbing him out when it could be an easy inclusion.

That brings us up to the lower limit I laid out above. The next ones are difficult because of reasons that I'm sure we're all aware. There's a good possibility of promotion to newcomer or echo fighter. Dark Samus should be a good indication of this.

Isabelle is just too popular. She has the highest chance of viability to be playable, most of us are sure of this. An Echo of Villager is inevitable at this point.
Shadow the Hedgehog... I agree with the others previously in this thread. He's not actually a shoe-in as many would have you believe, but he would be easily realizable which is what most people are banking on. His situation mirrors Dark Samus entirely here. I think it's possible he's promoted to Echo though, but definitely not a sure thing until we see it ourselves. I'll put him down as non-returning AT anyway.
Skull Kid, I have to go with my gut and say he's making the leap. Not based on any fabricated popularity that people are creating for him now, but the subtle hints are in place already. Why do we have the Moon as an AT now? I have no clue what he'd do, but I think he'll be playable. If not, then that would bring the total to 15; you decide.
Sable Prince (15) could be the pet project that Sakurai is working on this time around. It's possible. Personally, I think he stays an AT as he hasn't even had a non-Japan exclusive game. He does have popularity here on the forums though.
Excitebikes (16) was another odd cut from Sm4sh. Was he planned as another Sm4sh retro rep? They are instantly recognizable and really fun as ATs. Could it be possible that they are up for being playable again? I personally don't see it as likely but I can see them returning easily.

That's everyone except for our boy Isaac... but wait, there's more!

We can't forget the very real possibility of brand new ATs. Like the complete left field Rathalos in the last direct. There is no AT for Punch Out, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy (though unlikely) or whatever other newcomers we get. Typically there will be at least one new assist trophy that a new series or even new fighter will introduce on their entry into smash. Heck, just think about Klaptrap and K. Rool.

Having said all that, the room for even being an AT for Isaac is pretty limited. I personally believe that's because he's been promoted and left the realm of ATs altogether. Even with off-hand conjecture like this, I walked away with 11 locks and 5 more maybes, and I felt that I was somewhat reasonable. Even if there are less returning than I'm thinking, new incoming ATs will definitely round that number up near the top. So, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

The gesture of good will is appreciated.

If you ever find the time, you should give the first game a go; it's a pretty fun game;

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Just a few cents on my current thoughts on ATs that we have at the moment and speculation of what's to come. Others have run through it, so it's a good exercise for Isaac. As of today, we have exactly 40, with a tease by Sakurai of 50+. People either work in increments of 5 or 10 so that would be something like 54-59 in the final game. Unless, of course, Sakurai just lied to us. That means that there's a potential of 14-19 left to be shown off.

Barbara, Chain Chomp, Devil, Dillon, Elec Man, Excitebikes, Helirin, Infantry and Tanks, Isaac, Isabelle, Jill, Kat and Ana, Lakitu, Magnus, Mr. Resetti, Nightmare, Phosphora, Ray MK III, Sable Prince, Saki Amamiya, Shadow, Skull Kid and Tingle. For those counting, that's 23.

Seeing Hammer Bros. return, I think it's safe to say Chain Chomp (1) and Lakitu (2) will also return.
I think we're bound to see Infantry and Tanks (3) return as well, even if there is an AW rep incoming.
As much as I would love it, I think Saki Amamiya (4) and will be returning in this role again as well.
Tingle (5) doesn't really have a utility replacement and I don't think he'll be upgraded to playable.
I think Devil (6) returns even if the Squid Sisters do something similar. He'd be easy to bring over and he has not been cut from the past two games.
I'll tentatively put both Magnus (8) and Phosphora (9) in this list as well. Magnus because he ports over well as a character to fight and knock out. I just wonder if both are going to be back or if one will be dropped. Seeing as Uprising is Sakurai's baby, I think they'll come over.
Dillon (11). He could make the playable leap. He'd probably be a fun character. My gut feelings are that he probably won't though and he'd be a perfect character to fight in the same respects as Saki or Magnus.

The eleven above I think are what I can consider to be "locks" to come back in the same capacity. There's no real reason to drop them from Sm4sh or even some from both Brawl and Sm4sh. Let's do a closer inspection on what we have left:

Barbara was cut from Sm4sh as an AT but was in the Gamer stage in Sm4sh and had a piece of Mii fighter headgear. I think the situation remains the same.
Mr. Resetti is in the same kind of situation. Cut from Sm4sh, is part of the background for Town and City. The situation doesn't change, I think.
Helirin was cut from Sm4sh and I do sort of wonder if it was because of 3DS limitations of extra walls or if it was just simply unpopular. I think it's been dropped this time too simply because it was bland as an AT.
Jill (12) from Drill Dozer was cut from Sm4sh, but you have to wonder why. She wasn't unpopular; Smashboards even has a thread for her to be playable. I'll go out on a limb and guess that she'll be in, but I'm not completely sure on it.
RayMK III (13) is in the same boat as Jill, cut from Sm4sh, but Custom Robo is crazy popular. I'm not sure why they left him out in the first place to be quite honest as he was unique and did something fun as an AT. I'm a little more sure Custom Robo will have something here again.
Elec Man (14), I have a different take on than most others who think he's dropped because of Zero. There's no particular reason to drop Elec Man here in the first place since one represents Mega Man X and the other the original Mega Man. Being such a recent game, there's no reason in particular I can find just snubbing him out when it could be an easy inclusion.

That brings us up to the lower limit I laid out above. The next ones are difficult because of reasons that I'm sure we're all aware. There's a good possibility of promotion to newcomer or echo fighter. Dark Samus should be a good indication of this.

Isabelle is just too popular. She has the highest chance of viability to be playable, most of us are sure of this. An Echo of Villager is inevitable at this point.
Shadow the Hedgehog... I agree with the others previously in this thread. He's not actually a shoe-in as many would have you believe, but he would be easily realizable which is what most people are banking on. His situation mirrors Dark Samus entirely here. I think it's possible he's promoted to Echo though, but definitely not a sure thing until we see it ourselves. I'll put him down as non-returning AT anyway.
Skull Kid, I have to go with my gut and say he's making the leap. Not based on any fabricated popularity that people are creating for him now, but the subtle hints are in place already. Why do we have the Moon as an AT now? I have no clue what he'd do, but I think he'll be playable. If not, then that would bring the total to 15; you decide.
Sable Prince (15) could be the pet project that Sakurai is working on this time around. It's possible. Personally, I think he stays an AT as he hasn't even had a non-Japan exclusive game. He does have popularity here on the forums though.
Excitebikes (16) was another odd cut from Sm4sh. Was he planned as another Sm4sh retro rep? They are instantly recognizable and really fun as ATs. Could it be possible that they are up for being playable again? I personally don't see it as likely but I can see them returning easily.

We can't forget the very real possibility of brand new ATs. Like the complete left field Rathalos in the last direct. There is no AT for Punch Out, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy (though unlikely) or whatever other newcomers we get. Typically there will be at least one new assist trophy that a new series or even new fighter will introduce on their entry into smash. Heck, just think about Klaptrap and K. Rool.

Having said all that, the room for even being an AT for Isaac is pretty limited. I personally believe that's because he's been promoted and left the realm of ATs altogether. Even with off-hand conjecture like this, I walked away with 11 locks and 5 more maybes, and I felt that I was somewhat reasonable. Even if there are less returning than I'm thinking, new incoming ATs will definitely round that number up near the top. So, what do you guys think?
Great post. Though it's worth considering that even if Isaac is promoted he'll probably be replaced with a different Golden Sun assist trophy.

There's a part of me that wonders if Sakurai was being Conservative saying 50+ because there's way too many old assists for them all or even a good portion of them to return with under 60 assists. (considering there are bound to be some new assists too)

I think either Sakurai is lying about 50+ or there's been a large cull of old assist trophies. Maybe Gray Fox is the only Brawl assist we're getting.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
There is still the possibility that stuff like missing stages and AT come as DLC ? They tried to add the miximum but deadline is approaching.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

If there's one thing that would convince me Isaac is playable which isn't a Palutena-esque tease from Sakurai or a video leak, it's knowing every AT. I've said before that there's no way Isaac is going to be physically MIA again. It's not impossible that it could happen if he had be set aside for DLC, but I find that very unrealistic. Isaac had the results for Sakurai to take initiative one way or the other, and really, the longer we go on without his AT, the closer the promised land really is.

Your list, even if we wanted to take out a couple to be pessimistic, is still probably really close to the total amount; no more than 5 left. But what of a potential Mallow AT if Geno is playable? Another third party AT? More consolation prizes for decently-placing ballot characters like Krystal and Shovel Knight? Some representation for smaller Nintendo franchises (Style Savvy, Pilotwings, another forgotten retro like Urban Champion or Donbe & Hikari, an oddball like Doshin the Giant, maybe Rhythm Heaven?)? There's too many possibilities to believe that it'll just be returning ATs from here on out.

And I don't know about you, but I look at an AT list without Isaac and I see a shining sun about to rise; one whose rays of light glow an equally bright future coming our way.

This might've been discussed here already, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my first time actually looking at the Reddit post. To see not only Isaac, but also Banjo & Kazooie as the top 2 in both America and Europe fills me with so much joy. Really, if that's reflective of the real ballot results... I can't see a future where they aren't playable.

Last edited:

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Another nice arrangement of the Elemental Stars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW0rzC6klZU

This time, performed with a live piano and violin.
How amazing would it be if they made a game where they could just do all orchestral renditions of the songs? A few games out there do something similar. I'm specifically thinking about Suikoden and some of the Shin Megami Tensei games. This is basically why Golden Sun 4 and beyond need to happen in my lifetime. For the mere possibility of it happening. This music is too good not to.

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
I just really wish we knew when the next big info dump was XD waiting through september is going to be hell

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I just really wish we knew when the next big info dump was XD waiting through september is going to be hell
We should get a September Direct to explain the Online. Might get something there.

Top Bottom