• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let the platform fighting genre expand

Should there be more Platform Fighters (besides Smash)

• Yes, let the sub-genre expand!

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No, "Only Nintendo, only Nintendo!"

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Dear fellow fans of Smash.

I want to ask an important question. would you like to see more Platform fighting games besides Smash? I only ask this because I feel like a lot of Smash fans of the ideology that the only other Platform Fighter besides Smash should be indie. I've seen triple A Platform fighters like Playstation Allstars suffer the fate of being unsuccessful and be called a ripoff yet it does more different than Rivals of Aether. We should let this genre expand! Why? Because every juggernaut needs a rival...

Street Fighter has Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters, Tekken & Skull Girls
Mario has Sonic, Megaman, Rayman & Shovel Knight
Final Fantasy has Pokemon & Fire Emblem

So why shouldn't Smash have a rival?

To be honest I'm getting really bored of only seeing Nintendo characters (and a few guest) be successful in this genre.
I want something new. Maybe not gameplay wise (because I love the "knock your opponent out of the arena" system) but roster wise. Maybe I want a Capcom Smash Bros, a sequel to Playstation Allstars, a good Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion with hand drawn graphics, or a League of Legends like Platform Fighter.

So what do you think?
Should the Platform Fighter evolve? and Should smash have a rival? Put your ideas down below!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Playstation Allstars was not a good game and the Digimon Rumble series has been little better. Some day we will see a good platform fighter that isn't a direct rip off of Smash (like Rivals of Aether is) and then the genre growth will begin.

Big name companies haven't exactly got the greatest track record with the fighter subset, though, so it's easy to see why fans are sceptical.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Rivals of Aether is wonderful, deeply recommended.
Playstation Allstars was not a good game
Says you. The game had issues (numerous), but it was by no means bad.

Last edited:

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Rivals of Aether is wonderful, deeply recommended.

Says you. The game had issues (numerous), but it was by no means bad.
I agree it had one of my favorite characters which was sir daniel fortesque i cant wait for the medievil remake on PS4.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I think the problem is that a lot of the newer fighters use the same played out art-style and world-building that you see across the industry this past decade. They lack the distinctiveness of identity that SSB always brings. There's nothing stopping the genre itself from standing on its own as a legitimate kind of fighting game.

I want to see an Xbox all-stars, because that is what I personally grew up with, along with, potentially, some Sega guest-stars (Xbox pretty much took the Dreamcast's place, and indeed it got a decent number of games that would have otherwise been developed for Dreamcast). I want Halo, Dead Or Alive, Fable, Amped, Azurik, Voodoo Vince, Whacked!, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Blinx, Knights of the Old Republic, Unreal Championship, Raze's Hell, Oddworld, Kung Fu Chaos, Fuzion Frenzy, Gunvalkyrie, and so many more titles, all to be included. It will never happen in this nu-industry, but there's no doubt in my mind that it would be above and beyond anything I've seen yet if everything sailed smoothly.

Xbox_original_banner.jpg

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There was that Japanese one that had Optimus Prime and Snake in.

Also the Shoen Jump Super/Ultimate Stars games as well (Which are AMAZING)

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I would let the series expand. I just think other companies haven't found the right balance that Nintendo has. Its a fine line that even Nintendo has trouble with at moments (e.g. Brawl). I've played Ubisoft's Ninja Turtles Smash Up which was an okay game but not great. Also it has a ton of Rabbids in it which can make it better or worst depending on your view is about them.

I also agree with the art style mention above. Nintendo has always had a more colorful and fun style to it while most games of on other systems are going for the edgy and dark style. Nothing is wrong with dark edgy but I feel like its more out of place in a platform fighting game because the lack of realism. I'm not sure how to describe it but it makes sense in my head.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Agreed. A genre that is in a monopoly always leads to stagnation or decay due to lack of competition. Look no further then the Madden franchise after EA bought the rights for the NFL.

Granted there have been some stinkers like PTE and Kung Fu Chaos over the years, but using these as examples to say there should be no other attempts is like saying Shaq-Fu is the reason why no more fighters beyond Street Fighter should be made. RoA has a solid following, Brawlhalla seems to be doing well, there is fair buzz around Icons and the recent Slap City has gained much attention as well. The more variety there is, the better for the long term stability of the subgenre.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Bought TMNT: Smash Up. Enjoyed it a lot but it was very slow paced in retrospective.
There are a lot of Platform fighters out there. But I generally split them in "mechanics too wonky" or "Characters too boring". Only Smash Bros. has managed to reach that perfect balance, with Rival of Aether getting close (once you get used to the teeny sprites). Played it once on a friends house, and Im planning to buy it when its on the Switch. Lets hope their developers know that they better release it before SSBU and not during or after.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Granted there have been some stinkers like PTE and Kung Fu Chaos over the years
In what universe is Kung Fu Chaos a bad game
I hadn't thought of calling it a platform fighter before, but I would say it just barely isn't a fighting game, as there's only one combo anyone can do.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I wouldn’t hate to see Sony all stars do better and I would like to see Microsoft dip their toe in the water....

but as Microsoft said you got just enough characters to match smash 64 roster size.

For Sony they just don’t hold iconic characters people want to play as ( Crash & Spyro) anymore. Just a bunch of movie wannabes

Oh and pc has hackers so going against god mode... that’s fun

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Personally I would like to see more platform fighting games. Mainly to use and see character fight in a smash environment without actually being in Smash. TMNT: Smash Up is a prime example. Though not the greatest game I do think that a TMNT characters work very well in a platform fighting game. Now do I want to see Raphael in Smash Bros? No I do not but I would like to see a more refined TMNT Smash Up game. I think certain worlds work well in a platform fighter. One I would really like to see is a Homestar Runner Platform Fighter. Even if its bad it would still be a lot of fun to play.
everybody3.jpg

Top Bottom