• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let’s Be Straight Here

VisualBoyAdvance

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3344-9855-7791
Just because Mr Game And Watch doesn’t live up to your expectations doesn’t mean you have the right to hate on him. So what if his shield isn’t up to your expectations? And also, so what if he can’t L-Cancel most of his aerials? That’s because of a bug in the code! So come on guys, just start looking on the bright side of Mr Game And Watch. Like here’s one thing, He still has some pretty good rng play. So guys, just stop it ok? Just because his shield isn’t very good doesn’t mean you get to say he’s an incomplete character. This isn’t Nintendo’s fault actually, it’s no one’s fault. So guys, just start looking on the bright side of things Ok? No character is perfect, just look at Jigglypuff, Up throw + rest = death. Falco’s down air isn’t perfect, it’s only sweet spots! I hope you learned something from this. VisualBoyAdvance out!

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
I mean, he is a flawed character for the reasons you mentioned. But he does have a good advantage state, and people mitigate the lack of L Cancelling by edge cancelling his aerials, and light shielding / shield angling to prevent unnecessary pokes.

We know he's not the greatest. But he's definitely one of the more fun & interesting, in my opinion.

Last edited:

VisualBoyAdvance

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3344-9855-7791
Exactly, a very fun character to play as, that’s why I mained him! Hey, want to know an action replay code for MGAW? Here it is: 0414C760 3BC00008
044D9DE8 40000000
044D9DF0 40000000
044D9E50 41FF0000

Internal Frickface

Smash Cadet
i get it, straight
just like mr game & watch himself, a straight line when you view him from the side

also game & watch is weird in the sense that he's kinda not polished, considering that the game treats three of his aerials like special attacks and his abysmal shield and spotdodge frames
other than that, he's fun and it always feels really good to land a n-air offstage

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think the premise of your thread is just silly & untrue. People do not really hate on Mr. Game & Watch in this game. That'd imply people dislike him, find him unfair, overpowered, unexciting to watch, etc. when the opposite is true. G&W performing well in tournaments is generally celebrated. That's mostly because he is considered weak compared to the other characters, in part because of the bugs he suffers from. Recognizing that he's weaker than other characters is not hating on him, it's simply true.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
G&W's low tier status & the existence of bugs is not subject to disagreement. It's not people hating on him. It is simply true. You can still like & enjoy him, and try to compete with him despite that, though. People love all kinds of characters that are similarly weak, like Roy or Mewtwo.

Internal Frickface

Smash Cadet
i'm not one to dunk on people playing low tiers, maybe tease them, but not hate on them
i'm a roy main myself lmao, mr game & watch is cool too

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean?
I mean, he is an incomplete character. No other character in Melee has to suffer from an awful full shield, to having their aerials be coded as specials. How does this even happen? Must have been serious time constraints; but nonetheless, I'm glad Mr. Game & Watch made it in.

There aren't very many left of us to push his meta, but n0ne sometimes messes around with him and he's very very good, so that's always a treat.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
i HATE mr. game and watch! he pisses me off!! 🤬🤬 WHY CAN'T YOU JUST BE NORMAL!!!!!! AGHH!!!!!!! I GET IT! FAIR INTO DTILT!!!!!!! ARHGG

Last edited:

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
With the advent of custom stages through Slippi, I'm hopeful that g&w can eventually get a real shield. Realistically speaking though, it will probably never happen. To start modifying characters can be a slippery slope and my bet is the community will never venture there. Still, a ****ty g&w main can dream..

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
With the advent of custom stages through Slippi, I'm hopeful that g&w can eventually get a real shield. Realistically speaking though, it will probably never happen. To start modifying characters can be a slippery slope and my bet is the community will never venture there. Still, a ****ty g&w main can dream..
I mean, UCF is a thing, so I don't see why a Mr. Game & Watch player couldn't modify an L or R button to light shield consistently, on command? That way you could somewhat mitigate his awful shield properties.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
Light shield is an okay option for not getting hit. It just sucks cause you can't really get anything out of it. You won't get hit, but you can't punish out of it like you could with a normal, adequate shield. His options are essentially halved compared to the rest of the cast, between his shield and his improperly coded aerials.

Not sure how the competitive scene would view modding a button (I heard Zain modded his L or R to make powershielding easier but idk), but that's a good idea.

Abefroman

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
ABEF#110
Switch FC
SW-7672-2689-2784
Just because Mr Game And Watch doesn’t live up to your expectations doesn’t mean you have the right to hate on him. So what if his shield isn’t up to your expectations? And also, so what if he can’t L-Cancel most of his aerials? That’s because of a bug in the code! So come on guys, just start looking on the bright side of Mr Game And Watch. Like here’s one thing, He still has some pretty good rng play. So guys, just stop it ok? Just because his shield isn’t very good doesn’t mean you get to say he’s an incomplete character. This isn’t Nintendo’s fault actually, it’s no one’s fault. So guys, just start looking on the bright side of things Ok? No character is perfect, just look at Jigglypuff, Up throw + rest = death. Falco’s down air isn’t perfect, it’s only sweet spots! I hope you learned something from this. VisualBoyAdvance out!
lol i main him and he's ass. ****ing garbo character with few redeeming qualities
that's ok though =) just because he's terrible doesn't mean you can't have fun with him!

Top Bottom