• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legitimacy of Z Jump

RogueThunder

Smash Rookie
My control scheme for my ness required the z button to be set to jump for some bsticking techniques. My ROB is not a bsticker, but I've found that the usefulness of having Z jump carries over.

The fact is, it's too hard to claw x or y AND the b button almost instantaneously, but z jump does away with that problem and opens up a lot of really cool and relatively untapped techniques (While I doubt I'm the first to discover this, I've never really seen it anywhere in ROB's metagame and I feel there is potential).

Try it for yourself, you can do some really interesting things like rising reverse lasers/WBGCs. This might help ROB's sometimes less than stellar underneath game and make him even more mobile and unpredicable in the air.

Definately worth the hassle of retraining yourself to the new control sceme IMO.

Just FYI, my controller setup:
GC controller
A- attack
B-specials
Cstick- smashes
X- grab
Y- Jump
L- dodge/shield
R- attack (i don't really use this at all, it was for Ness's double airborn shuffling and I didn't get rid of it)
AND Last but not least- Z JUMP!

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I've messed around with similar techniques before, since I used to have R set to Specials for Lucas. I think it was called pseudo B-sticking. I found a lot of good ways to WBGC and the such, but the input was much too hard for the gyro, and I didn't think it'd be that useful to learn. ROB has a bunch of stuff he can do with this, but I can't see them being too useful. I find it a lot more useful to WB Side B's with other characters, but ROB's is pretty much useless, lol.

Oh, and it was a legit WB too, like, I stayed facing the same way and bounced backwards, not the usual B-reversal that people call WBing.

EDIT: Sil, stop STPing and ninjaing me!

Silhouette

Smash Lord
You forgot to check the shadows again, didn't you?

I'm not like the normal silhouettes your used to, where they run at your face with a big sign that says "Challenger Approaching".

Nah see, I'm a sneaky ba****d.

RogueThunder

Smash Rookie
Sil- Naw, you really just have to try it to see what I mean, there are some really weird stuff you can do with it.
Swarm- yeah, the techniques won't become ROB's new bread and butter or anything, but I can still see enough use in these rising specials to justify learning them imo
Sudai- really? do you know any good ROB's offhand who bstick so I can youtube some matches?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I set X to specials and I always jump with Y. That imo is the easiest way to properly buffer specials from a jump.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
ROB is actually a "b-sticker" it's just most ROB's don't do it enough. WBGC = too good.
just to help him get his bounce better or...? and you do mean setting c stick to smash right? I would do this, but I never want to risk ruining the speed of rob's dsmash. I feel I might have bad habits of throwing in a couple frames of charging it by accident if i "do it manually"

@Rogue: I use Z to jump, only because I have tap jump off. It helps me perform pivot or reverse or w/e its called -- up b's when im grounded. thats about all i use it for i think. I also have L as jump bc when Im trying to SDI out of certain moves and im tapping up on both sticks...there goes my thumbs and I just find it easier to hit L (in an attempt to jump out of the multi-hit hitbox) instead of Z. thats just me though.

my X is grab too so our config is the same besides the L button, and idk if you have tap jump on or off.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I have no problems clawing or WBGC or any B-reverse techs, or I just move really quickly from jump to B and my only control mod is tap off. I might give this a try next week to see if I can find anything new, not gonna switch things up just before MLG.

btw what exactly is the difference between Wavebouncing and B-reversing, I know all about B-reversing but I guess I'm not fully aware of the uses of Wavebouncing.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
speaking of tap jumping i think ROB is better with it on, it helps it makes flipping the robo booster super easy.
I only disagree because I always finding myself wasting a jump in all of those up b's we input during a match. maybe my timing is crappy. haha

Top Bottom