• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legit combos

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I'm used to melee's DK and l feel l've been missing out on many "guaranteed" follow-ups.
Could anyone please list me his new combo game?

Linking Uairs doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
mI'm not the best DK by any means, but my combo game is up there. So i'll gladly post some things that should help

This would literally be the longest post I've ever made if I was to get deep into his combo game, so instead I will list some small things like what his best combo moves are and stuff so you can experiment yourself to see what fits you. DK's combo game is one of the best in PM, so there is no right or wrong way to combo. He can combo in many ways.

Out of a grab (assuming cargo u throw won't work):
Experiment with d throw and standing cargo f/b throw follow ups with different DI. Some follow ups for d throw are regrab if they DI toward you, dash attack, nair, an instant up air, and tech chase with down b, (I actually do a lot of techchasing with down b in both of my combo videos, so maybe watch those. I will link them at the end of this post. There is a lot of funny and janky stuff in those videos but there is a lot of useful stuff as well lol)
When you want to combo out of cargo f/b throw, most of the time you should throw them toward the middle of the stage so you can follow up with a dash shffl nair into another dash nair or fair for example (also in my 2nd combo video, cargo b throw, nair, fair). If you throw them towards the edge, you have less space to dash and follow up without running off stage, so it's harder to extend the combo. However, if they starting DI'ing towards center stage, you should then throw them to the edge to get the free follow up.

Safe moves in neutral game for starting combos/follow ups:
jab combo: often can combo into itself or a grab. It's safe because if you miss the first hit, you can dash away for example
d tilt: Can't really truly combo out of it, but d tilt to dash Jump cancelled grab will work 90% of the time.
bair: bair before landing into turn around dash jump cancelled grab works as well
nair: nair approach has many good follow ups(grab, d tilt to grab, up tilt, jab combo)

The reason I posted "safe" combo starter moves is because in theory, you can follow up with any move in the right circumstances. DK is combo food so it's important to play safe with him and get hit as little as possible.

Lastly, if you want to improve on extending your combo game I recommend you read through this list of GREAT moves for continuing juggles and find out which one(s) you should incorporate more

-up air
-up tilt
-nair(weak and strong hit)
-bair(weak and strong hit)
-jab combo (situational)
-dash attack( if they DI away after a shffl nair at combo percent, I almost always dash attack because it's the only move that will hit them before they land v.s many characters)

Example of applying everything in this post:(for fun lol)
on the left side of FD facing left V.S. a middle-ish weight character and assuming they DI as I expect: Jab combo(possibly 2), grab, cargo b throw, shffl nair, dash attack, short hop up air, full hop fair

Btw that combo was not just speculation and neither was anything in this whole post. I actually did almost that exact combo yesterday. This stuff really works! :)

Link to my combo videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4vmJ2KrYZ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU48YZfKp8Q

Edit: ignore the double side b's in those combo videos lmao. Also, the second link is much better as far as having things that would actually work more often, not including the last minute or so :p

Last edited:

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
Hey fellas!

I'm trying to pick up DK because he looks fun as **** and Link gets a bit tiresome to play.
Is there any way to link a jumping cargo throw to anything? I can't remember seeing it done, but it seems like that could lead into some nasty stuff.

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
POOOOOOOB! Thanks man. I really appreciate it. I feel like an idiot for not checking one of your videos again to see XD. If you wouldn't mine indulging me once more, what exactly are the inputs to combo off the jump? I'm, admittedly, bad at figuring things out just by watching. Do you have to use your second jump after throwing, or is there a way to combo right after the throw?

Last edited:

Prelude

Smash Rookie
POOOOOOOB! Thanks man. I really appreciate it. I feel like an idiot for not checking one of your videos again to see XD. If you wouldn't mine indulging me once more, what exactly are the inputs to combo off the jump? I'm, admittedly, bad at figuring things out just by watching. Do you have to use your second jump after throwing, or is there a way to combo right after the throw?
Depends on if the character in question is floaty/heavy/etc. For instance, on spacies/Falcon, you can usually do aerials after the initial jump+cargo uthrow, or for characters like Samus or Mother characters, you'll probably have to use your second jump. I usually do either Uair/Bair/Nair after the throw and follow up on that based on DI.

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
Depends on if the character in question is floaty/heavy/etc. For instance, on spacies/Falcon, you can usually do aerials after the initial jump+cargo uthrow, or for characters like Samus or Mother characters, you'll probably have to use your second jump. I usually do either Uair/Bair/Nair after the throw and follow up on that based on DI.
Gotcha. It seems as if I was over complicating it, when it really just depends on weight. Thank you good sir!

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
Hmm that's like 45 minutes away-ish from me. You planning on going to any Super Smash Sundays?
Where is that at? I've been wanting to go to local weeklies, but I just end up running friendlies at a hookah lounge because I can't find any. Where do you live?

SSS

Smash Ace
Where is that at? I've been wanting to go to local weeklies, but I just end up running friendlies at a hookah lounge because I can't find any. Where do you live?
I live in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...2!3m1!1s0x80dcdf6ffc576f79:0xef018412d803c0da

Super Smash Sundays are in Walnut at the Super Arcade:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x80c32958b5953367:0xcc8e88976d2079e7

Join these groups, depending on which games you play:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SSBPMsocal/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SSBMsocal/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SSBBsocal/

The next Super Smash Sundays is on August 31st. You can also ask around in those facebook groups for people in your area. Also you're not too far from me so if you ever want to play me you can. I can't drive, though, so you'd have to drive here:

https://www.facebook.com/sawyer.stahl

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
Damn, I wasn't expecting such thorough help. Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate it. I'm definitely down to try and set something up. I've got 5 other buddies that are pretty decent (though we're all fairly unpolished) so I'm sure we could get some good matches. I just hope my DK is a bit more ready in time for SSS.

SSS

Smash Ace
Damn, I wasn't expecting such thorough help. Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate it. I'm definitely down to try and set something up. I've got 5 other buddies that are pretty decent (though we're all fairly unpolished) so I'm sure we could get some good matches. I just hope my DK is a bit more ready in time for SSS.
I will DK ditto you.

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
I will DK ditto you.
I'm game, though I may pull out Link if I get bodied too hard lulz.

Back on topic, I've had a bit of success with DThrow on the edge into FAir for an easy spike. I've gotten that on Mewtwo consistently around 30%. However, I'm not sure if that's just because of bad DI (or lack thereof), or being slow on their part. Could you guys shed some light on that?

SSS

Smash Ace
I'm game, though I may pull out Link if I get bodied too hard lulz.

Back on topic, I've had a bit of success with DThrow on the edge into FAir for an easy spike. I've gotten that on Mewtwo consistently around 30%. However, I'm not sure if that's just because of bad DI (or lack thereof), or being slow on their part. Could you guys shed some light on that?
I'll just switch to Kirby my DK sucks lulz

I've had that work before, I'm not sure what's up with that. I know you can get Cargo f/bthrow to fair at certain percents. I could see dthrow working. but again, i don't know for sure.

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
I'll just switch to Kirby my DK sucks lulz

I've had that work before, I'm not sure what's up with that. I know you can get Cargo f/bthrow to fair at certain percents. I could see dthrow working. but again, i don't know for sure.
I feel like it could be a nice little mixup, seeing as how Cargo is generally the expected the throw. I'm sure experienced players would catch on real quick, but perhaps the little change could cause someone to screw up the DI and lead to an easy kill early. I'm going to continue testing and see what's going on.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it could be a nice little mixup, seeing as how Cargo is generally the expected the throw. I'm sure experienced players would catch on real quick, but perhaps the little change could cause someone to screw up the DI and lead to an easy kill early. I'm going to continue testing and see what's going on.
Unfortunately that only worked due to the opponent messing up. There wouldnt be enough hitstun for that to be a true combo so they could make some kind of action before the fair hits. In the unlikely event that it works the first time, it definitely wont work a second time so you are much better off going for a cargo throw follow up that is usually guaranteed

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
The reason it worked is that they were afraid of being offstage so they DI'd in. Dthrow is a good setup if they DI in, but players who know the matchup will always DI out and won't get hit.
It's especially stupid from them if they were using mewtwo, as there's currently no reason a Mewtwo should be afraid of being offstage lol

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Well i meant the fair is too slow to actually be a combo out of d throw unless you grt a hard read. D throw nair is a thing though and d throw dash attack as well

Top Bottom