• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legends of History - Roy Videos & Critique Thread

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Some videos on my Roy game play. Any criticism/compliments welcomed
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6oMhvji7K0bxUiCbXUx9gw
You do a really good job at keeping your opponents on your toes. Pressure, but pressure patiently. Especially during the Link video, I noticed you went for a lot of attacks at the beginning that sort of just whiffed while he rolled around. Once you waited a bit, he'd throw out a smash that you punished with grabs. This can change in different circumstances though - the Ness player went for grabs a lot, so it was smart for you to throw out hitboxes for him to run into.
In the end though you pretty much destroyed all four opponents. Maybe because you're pretty good, but maybe because your opponents didn't really know what they were doing (I'd assume equal amounts of both). If you upload some where you win, some where you barely win, and some where you get rekt, it'll be easier for us to spot stuff you can improve on. Your Roy is looking very sleek tho :)

Edit: I just noticed your post was like a week old - fellow Roy mains where you at!? :glare:

Last edited:

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
You do a really good job at keeping your opponents on your toes. Pressure, but pressure patiently. Especially during the Link video, I noticed you went for a lot of attacks at the beginning that sort of just whiffed while he rolled around. Once you waited a bit, he'd throw out a smash that you punished with grabs. This can change in different circumstances though - the Ness player went for grabs a lot, so it was smart for you to throw out hitboxes for him to run into.
In the end though you pretty much destroyed all four opponents. Maybe because you're pretty good, but maybe because your opponents didn't really know what they were doing (I'd assume equal amounts of both). If you upload some where you win, some where you barely win, and some where you get rekt, it'll be easier for us to spot stuff you can improve on. Your Roy is looking very sleek tho :)

Edit: I just noticed your post was like a week old - fellow Roy mains where you at!? :glare:
Thanks for the input. I'll make sure to upload some tight matches and matches of me getting rekt in the future. Lately I haven't had any so that's why lol

Last edited:

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Here's some tourney matches from my Roy in doubles
(We'd only had an hour to practice and I didn't understand doubles yet)
:4feroy::4ness:vs:4pikachu::4pikachu:
https://youtu.be/uqAH21Pd2hs
(We got screwed because these guys are two great players but they got terrible seeding)
:4feroy::4ness:vs:4luigi::4pikachu:
https://youtu.be/2mubHu9OObE
(Nothing too much to say about this one. I choked a bit here and there since this was one of my first times being on stream in loser's but I felt good about it)
:4feroy::4ness:vs:4luigi::4diddy:
https://youtu.be/zV_d19p88vM
(These two team a lot so it was only natural that our Hour of practice would only get us this far. Either way we made it to round 3 losers and ended up getting a decent placing)

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Here's some footage of my Roy in some offline friendlies
vs Mario

vs Rosalina

Any constructive criticism is welcome. Any options or optimal punishes as well.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
https://youtu.be/OvqYXRqhFeE

My first video up for critique. Felt I wasn't playing my best, also using the games. 5 points if you can pin point my 2 input errors haha

Any tips welcomed, obviously I'm player 1.

Thanks.
It looks like it was an online match, right? It's harder to critique Roys online since movement is so different and movement is one of the key parts of using Roy. Your input errors might have been that offstage airdodge and that counter on the ledge unless you read a dash attack.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
It looks like it was an online match, right? It's harder to critique Roys online since movement is so different and movement is one of the key parts of using Roy. Your input errors might have been that offstage airdodge and that counter on the ledge unless you read a dash attack.
Ok, point taken, i will wait to get some friendlies and put them up.

Yeah the counter was one and the Up B at around 20 seconds was the other haha.

Thanks

Here's some footage of my Roy in some offline friendlies
vs Mario

vs Rosalina

Any constructive criticism is welcome. Any options or optimal punishes as well.
Amazing. I loved that disrespect at the end of the Rosalina match. I love your Roy!

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Here's two matches I had against another user on the Smashboards, thought I'd upload them since the rest where me going :4lucina: and either :4drmario: or :4mario:.

:4feroy: vs. :4gaw:

:4feroy: vs. :4ganondorf:

Any good advice on how I can improve? Since I'm trying to overcome some habits of mine.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Here's two matches I had against another user on the Smashboards, thought I'd upload them since the rest where me going :4lucina: and either :4drmario: or :4mario:.

:4feroy: vs. :4gaw:

:4feroy: vs. :4ganondorf:

Any good advice on how I can improve? Since I'm trying to overcome some habits of mine.
Nice use of counter, and you covered yourself with Roy's sword well, but that can also be a problem.
It looks like your opponents didn't punish your habits. I saw you throw some dash attacks and running Usmash while your opponent wasn't in KO %, where your approach options should be safer ones that can lead to combos. If you were to play against someone who would use their shield well, you'd get punished.
Your use of counter can be baited and punished hard. You also got pretty eager to KO in that last stock against Ganondorf. Those Fsmashes could've been punished.

You played well against those opponents, but it could be different against someone else. I'd recommend you use more SHFF Nair instead of dash attack for approaching, and maybe jab and dtilt when up close.

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
https://youtu.be/CmP9ArXmFWI?t=14

can someone explain how far forward roy's hurt box extends while dashing, this just happened to me in FG and I feel a bit wronged.

I won the fight but it left a bad taste in my mouth, like I looked over the frames in .25 speed on youtube but I never made contact with the sing animation.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5grdW8zM8D4
A game from a local tourney I went to yesterday. Made it to losers finals with Roy, Armoured Samus and WFT. Feedback and critique is greatly appreciated.
You played really well! Those Fsmashes were on point, and most of what you did was great.
One thing I noticed, though, is that sometimes you left yourself open by airdodging, especially on that first stock against Sheik, and a few landings were punished. Fastfalling, b-reversed Neutral B to change aerial momentum, and sideB are a few things you can do in the air to cover your landing.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Y'know how I gathered a lot of Roy tourney vids? Well, I got lazy and instead of posting them here individually, I made a playlist with all of them and more on YouTube. So if you're interested here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNnZ4b69HroMHTkmIoM7Xwmg_U_S_V6XW

I try to update the list regularly, assuming if I find some Roy vids (no friendlies/FG, but there might be a few online tourney matches in there). Unfortunately, I don't know if you can search for keywords on a user's playlist. So if you're looking for Roy vs a specific character, I'd ctrl + f/whatever word search for the fighter you're looking for.

https://youtu.be/CmP9ArXmFWI?t=14

can someone explain how far forward roy's hurt box extends while dashing, this just happened to me in FG and I feel a bit wronged.

I won the fight but it left a bad taste in my mouth, like I looked over the frames in .25 speed on youtube but I never made contact with the sing animation.

^ just the sleeping animation after...

Maybe Sing has some wonky hitboxes? Not sure otherwise.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Here are some of my matches from the latest european tournament.

Some advice and critique on my Roy are really much appreciated. Results are in the tournament rep thread

EDIT: btw the title of the first video is wrong, im the Roy not Diddy haha

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Here are some of my matches from the latest european tournament.

Some advice and critique on my Roy are really much appreciated. Results are in the tournament rep thread

EDIT: btw the title of the first video is wrong, im the Roy not Diddy haha

Your movement with Roy is great! It's definitely your strong point. What you did wrong was how you telegraphed your approaches to your opponents so they walled you several times with their Fair or Neutral B in Wario's case. You caught on several times by using Uair against their Fairs, and in that last game vs Wario you did really well mixing up more with your grabs.
Take advantage of that disjoint by hitting them where you think they're going to extend their hurtbox.

Some things you can do to mix up your game is to land behind them some times. Most of your aerial approaches (if not all) were right in front of the opponent, which is why you got walled several times. RAR full hop Bair to landing Uair is a way, or using your double jump or several other things.
Another thing you could do is space out your opponent and camp a bit when you're at an advantage. Wario for example is a Bait & Punish character that wants you to approach. If you make him approach, he'll have to change his playstyle. If you don't want to camp you can still pressure him from a safe spot.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Your movement with Roy is great! It's definitely your strong point. What you did wrong was how you telegraphed your approaches to your opponents so they walled you several times with their Fair or Neutral B in Wario's case. You caught on several times by using Uair against their Fairs, and in that last game vs Wario you did really well mixing up more with your grabs.
Take advantage of that disjoint by hitting them where you think they're going to extend their hurtbox.

Some things you can do to mix up your game is to land behind them some times. Most of your aerial approaches (if not all) were right in front of the opponent, which is why you got walled several times. RAR full hop Bair to landing Uair is a way, or using your double jump or several other things.
Another thing you could do is space out your opponent and camp a bit when you're at an advantage. Wario for example is a Bait & Punish character that wants you to approach. If you make him approach, he'll have to change his playstyle. If you don't want to camp you can still pressure him from a safe spot.
You've got some real good analysis skills, i guess that's to be expected from an oldschool player like you. I agree 100% with everything you said and these tips sound really useful. I'll definetly implement them in my gameplay, especially the RAR full hop Bair to landing Uair is exactly what i needed.
I'll make sure to upload more matches within the next few weeks, looking forward to your critique! Cheers mate.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
You've got some real good analysis skills, i guess that's to be expected from an oldschool player like you. I agree 100% with everything you said and these tips sound really useful. I'll definetly implement them in my gameplay, especially the RAR full hop Bair to landing Uair is exactly what i needed.
I'll make sure to upload more matches within the next few weeks, looking forward to your critique! Cheers mate.
Thanks for the compliments!
I'd really like to see more of your Roy. It's one of the quickest, and really fun to watch! You have a lot of potential!
If you haven't already, check out some other Roys like StaticManny and analyze them. The decisions they make, and how they handle the Neutral state.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
So, I'm planning to revamp the OP. There's a few ways to go about this. I could include a bunch of Roy vs character tourney vids (similar structure to my post here), but the list will be huge. And when I mean huge, I mean I'd include 100+ videos (since they're all saved on my playlist). Or what I could do is just include the most hyped/important videos (I'd like to find at least 1 vid of Roy vs each character) and videos people personally suggest, and post my Smash 4 Roy playlist which is updated regularly. YouTube has this neat auto-add feature where videos can be automatically added to a playlist depending on the keywords you inputted. Anyway, the option I'll choose depends on what is more helpful for you folks. I'll start working with option 2 in the meantime.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
So, I'm planning to revamp the OP. There's a few ways to go about this. I could include a bunch of Roy vs character tourney vids (similar structure to my post here), but the list will be huge. And when I mean huge, I mean I'd include 100+ videos (since they're all saved on my playlist). Or what I could do is just include the most hyped/important videos (I'd like to find at least 1 vid of Roy vs each character) and videos people personally suggest, and post my Smash 4 Roy playlist which is updated regularly. YouTube has this neat auto-add feature where videos can be automatically added to a playlist depending on the keywords you inputted. Anyway, the option I'll choose depends on what is more helpful for you folks. I'll start working with option 2 in the meantime.
Second option sounds good, so people can suggest videos. Either way, having a playlist would be great.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I agree with Oblivion, having a selection of higher quality videos pulled out and featured on the OP sounds like a good idea.

Including the link to your youtube playlist sounds like a good idea, as a sort of...further watching for those interested. However, actually linking each individual video to the OP sounds like a lot of work, which would wear you out, and would clutter up the OP, as there is such a thing as too much information all at once lol. So linking the youtube playlist sounds like the best compromise between making the information readily available without allowing it to be too overwhelming.

Last edited:

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Hey! Just had a match against Ryuga O: Just wondering what I couldve done better, I kept messing up my grab followups! It was because I was really nervous..cuz that was my first time fighting a reallly good player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QPDhJ7w1-g

Anything is appreciated! Thank you! ^.^

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Here are some matches of my Roy against Mr R's Ryu (Online)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HanfQGkhBTo
I noticed that you are using SHFF on your nair, and I was wondering why you did that. I could be completely wrong, but I heard not to SHFF Roy's nair because the second hit doesn't come out when you FF and it leaves you vulnerable. Is SHFF nair a viable option on Roy?

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Hey guys, its been a while but im back with my roy and some new tricks. ive been working a lot on my movement lately to emphasize my strong point and took quite a lot of melee inspired techniques. feel free to check it out, this time it's A LOT of footage (berlin weekly) loser's out friendlys with a lot experimentation.

http://www.twitch.tv/sodrek/v/27796834

Oblivion129 Oblivion129 lokking forward to your critique mate! :)

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Hey guys, its been a while but im back with my roy and some new tricks. ive been working a lot on my movement lately to emphasize my strong point and took quite a lot of melee inspired techniques. feel free to check it out, this time it's A LOT of footage (berlin weekly) loser's out friendlys with a lot experimentation.

http://www.twitch.tv/sodrek/v/27796834

Oblivion129 Oblivion129 lokking forward to your critique mate! :)
I see you pressure really well without exposing yourself, and you've been reading your opponent's shield for some great tomahawk grabs. I see your improvement!

It's really great to watch your Roy because of your movement, really taking advantage of how quick Roy is and how he can pressure well. Your ledgetrumping and ledge-roll reads are great. I also saw how you adapted against different character match-ups.

Continue doing a great job adapting, reading and mixing up your moves. I'm looking forward to seeing your next tournament!

Last edited:

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Decided to mess around with Roy vs my brother. Aside from not FF Nair into gettting shield grabbed, where can I improve?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgVQGHuuwQ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=308ESA-KzXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sON7UB2M3g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX0PuubKpbM
Just a few stuff from the first match.
- Stop side-B after the second hits don't connect (0:18)
- Ike's Aether is very easy to counter for ledgeguarding (1:48)
- Coming into that second stock you were pretty impatient. Maintain your pace on the second life and focus on not getting any more damage on you.
- Ike frequently lands on stage accidentally with that Aether, which is a free punish. (2:09)
- Yep, no N-air on shield :p (2:10)

At other percents some throws can be better than d-throw. Try F-throw into nair or fair at around 40-60. Also, against Ike you could move a lot closer to him and hold shiled rather than bait at a distance. Lots of Ike's moves have deceptively low endlag, so running in to punish can be pretty hard. His jab and a few other moves are easily shield-grabbed, though. Most of the stuff I noticed seems like one-time mistakes to me, I had trouble spotting anything blaringly wrong with your play-style. I'd judge your skill level to be a cut above mine anyway, so you can take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Just throwing a heads up. But I'm going to start a series of highly in-depth and fun guides on Roy since I feel there is a lot of misconception and outright wrong information about our boy. Each video will be covering small, bite-sized topics about the character, starting with the basics and then moving on to more advanced setups, option selects and the like. So if you feel you are already familiar with Roy's basic strategies you may (or may not) want to give this one a pass. If you're just picking him up then I highly recommend giving it a watch. But here it is, Part 1: Basic Neutral Options.

Last edited:
Top Bottom