• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legends of History - Roy Videos & Critique Thread

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I've been having a hard time with Mario, should I be getting closer and countering his fireballs? Any other critiques welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j2XG79KAwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z32Bd8tDAY
Your problem was you were either trying to spot dodge or roll away and that's a no no.If you encounter an opponent who is heavy reliant on projectiles like this Mario then u perfect shield them. Most Marios spam fireballs to get a grab, in this case perfect shield and then jab If they are really close or even perfect shield and grab.
What will also help u not get walled out by fireballs is short hopping over them towards your opponent and coming down with a well spaced Nair. This way you are gaining stage control and pressuring him/her. If your opponent starts shielding them Short hop over them into a grab or cross up Nair.
Takes some practice, but not that hard. Try to mix up your approach game and don't stay on the ground so much. Incorporate more aerial approaches in your game. Pressure the Mario with Nairs, tilts, jabs. Space him out and force mistakes.

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
Your problem was you were either trying to spot dodge or roll away and that's a no no.If you encounter an opponent who is heavy reliant on projectiles like this Mario then u perfect shield them. Most Marios spam fireballs to get a grab, in this case perfect shield and then jab If they are really close or even perfect shield and grab.
What will also help u not get walled out by fireballs is short hopping over them towards your opponent and coming down with a well spaced Nair. This way you are gaining stage control and pressuring him/her. If your opponent starts shielding them Short hop over them into a grab or cross up Nair.
Takes some practice, but not that hard. Try to mix up your approach game and don't stay on the ground so much. Incorporate more aerial approaches in your game. Pressure the Mario with Nairs, tilts, jabs. Space him out and force mistakes.
When you say cross up nair, you mean nairing so you land behind them, correct?

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I have a really hard time with campy players, this Bower Jr was making me feel like ****. Any critiques??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdVzfoRfZyQ
Okay I would like to start off by saying I see your improvement from the previous videos you posted here. A lot more use of his aerials, short hops and cross Nairs were used, Great job!
In this match up take advantage of BJ's laggy moves especially the mechakoopa. It has a lot of end lag so when u see him throw it out dash over and punish, If he is using the move in front of you dash and SH over it and punish. Another hint is that you ran into his up b a lot, do not, Dodge and try to punish the landing. If you do get caught DI immediately and airdodge away, I have a friend who mains BJ and it works all the time. Shield the side b approach and Wait to punish also dtilt at ledge when he is recovering low. A well timed Dtilt will gimp recovery. Last thing, when he's just standing there run over and grab. I saw that he stood by the ledge a lot and shielded when u approached......grab him. Most of Roy's moves beat out Bj's.

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Here i will leave a pretty fun match to watch, the Radiant hero vs the Young Lion, also we are discussing this [MU] right now and Marth's too. if anyone has any opinion or experiencie feel free to talk about your experience, we need more people help us around develop Roy's potential.

Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U - Roy (Muru) vs Ike (Baselarde)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=balwHJ0tr7I

This is a really fun MU, but Muru starts getting a lot of mistakes trying to D-air when he come from above leaving him in a really bad spot, what do you think fellow smashers?

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
A tourney match from my local's Tuesday weekend against a buddy who played MK who won the local here's the match.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Here are some tourney matches I've gathered from this thread and various streaming channels (still looking around for more). There's some vids that haven't been posted here, so be sure to check them out. I just want to get a lot of vids of Roy vs other characters (even if it's a loss) to see how the Roy players fight against them. I might work on FG/friendly matches later on.

vs:4bowser:
Sawtooth (Roy, MiiBrawler) vs CalmAnimal (Bowser, Roy) / 7/8/2015
SiN|Trevonte (Roy) vs A Stray Cat (Bowser) / 07/26/2015

:4falcon:
StaticManny (Roy) vs Lettara (Luigi, Falcon) / 06/19/2015

:4diddy:
CalmAnimal (Roy, Bowser) vs Lightning Cam (Diddy) / 8/6/2015
Gnes (Roy) vs DJ Fliphop (Diddy Kong) / 6/19/2015

:4duckhunt:
Tachyon (Pikachu, Duck Hunt) vs. StaticManny (Roy) / 08/08/2015

:4falco:
Liquid (Falco) vs Soronie (Roy) / 07/19/2015

:4fox:
DtD| Pferschaw (Fox) vs Zerker (Roy) / 06/18/2015

:4myfriends:
MVG|Ryo (Ike) vs StaticManny (Roy) / 08/08/2015

:4jigglypuff:
FZG_Soul (Roy) vs Designs (Jigglypuff) / 6/21/2015

:4kirby:
Xanzy (Kirby) vs Sawtooth (Roy) / 7/1/2015

:4lucina:
MVG|Ryo (Lucina) vs StaticManny (Roy) / 08/08/2015
Sethlon (Roy) vs Grey (Lucina) / 7/1/2015
Emery (Roy) vs Gyo (Lucina) / 6/17/2015

:4luigi:
Aki (Luigi) vs Masashi (Roy) / 06/28/2015
StaticManny (Roy) vs Lettara (Luigi, Falcon) / 06/19/2015

:4mario:
RoguePenguin (Mario) Vs. MVG|Ryo (Palutena, Roy) / 07/13/2015
Gnes (Roy) vs MPH (Rosalina, Mario) / 6/19/2015

:4megaman:
Sethlon (Roy) vs SSGuy (Mega Man) / 8/13/2015

:4metaknight:
Skillager (Metaknight) vs. GameGenie (Roy) / 08/06/2015
FZG_Soul (Roy) vs Wildman (Meta Knight) / 06/21/2015

:4miibrawl:
Sawtooth (Roy, MiiBrawler) vs CalmAnimal (Bowser, Roy) / 7/8/2015

:4ness:
Liquid (Roy) vs Edo (Ness) / 08/07/2015
Shaky (Ness) vs SiN|Trevonte (Roy) / 08/07/2015
Jutsu (Ness) vs Blarley (Roy) / 7/15/2015
Notsopudgy (Roy) vs BPK | Huff (Ness) / 7/8/2015

:4olimar:
Dreamm (Rosalina, Roy) vs Moosebones (Olimar) / 06/20/2015

:4pikachu:
Tachyon (Pikachu, Duck Hunt) vs. StaticManny (Roy) / 08/08/2015

:4pit:
Earth (Pit) vs Masashi (Roy) / 06/28/2015

:rosalina:
Game Prodigy (Rosalina) vs Lil Pac (Roy) / 7/15/2015
Eldin (Rosalina) vs Ian (Roy) - SSB4 Winners Finals / 06/28/2015
Eldin (Rosalina) vs Ian (Roy) - SSB4 Grand Finals / 06/28/2015
Gnes (Roy) vs MPH (Rosalina, Mario) / 6/19/2015

:4feroy:
StaticManny (Sonic, Roy) Vs MVG|Ryo (Ike, Roy) / 07/17/2015
terminalkai (Roy) vs ??? (Roy) / 06/27/2015

:4ryu:
Soronie (Roy) vs SiN|Trevonte (Ryu) / 06/19/2015

:4sheik:
Sethlon (Roy) vs Karna (Sheik) / 7/1/2015
CalmAnimal (Roy) vs Karna (Sheik) / 7/1/2015

:4tlink:
STVG|Phuzix (Toon Link) vs StaticManny (Roy) / 08/08/2015

:4yoshi:
Dad (Roy) vs FX DFW | Hamyojo (Yoshi) / 7/29/2015
YF|SSB100 (Olimar, Falco, Roy) vs YF.JFK (Yoshi, Falco) / 7/24/15
PHO|Violet (Yoshi) vs 8BIT|Deity (Roy) / 06/26/2015

:4zss:
Sethlon (Roy) vs Senpai. (ZSS) / 8/13/2015

DOUBLES

Loota+Tri vs Stemu+Wörmi / 08/07/2015
Rubix+Etho (Wario/Roy) vs Radon+PboyAMR (Falco/Ryu) / 6/22/2015
Teppei+Kiko (Villager/Pikachu) vs Salena+Yui (Meta Knight/Roy) / 06/21/2015

Finally found a few Japanese Roy players. I'd like to get more on the list and see if there's a difference in playstyles.

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Yo! MVG just uploaded some videos featuring Static Manny's Roy. Here they are:

Static :4feroy:vs Phuzix:4tlink:

Static:4feroy: vs Tachyon:4pikachu:

Static:4feroy: vs Ryo:4myfriends:
:4feroy:vs :4lucina:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Hey me again, just as I think I have a grasp versing projectile characters, I get my *** kicked.

I had a tough time against this link, if you see any bad habits of mine, please point them out!
https://youtu.be/VULE0L0pdqo

Also had a hard time against this ZZS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1KsDRAbrdo
You have to incorporate a lot more short hops in your game to switch up approaches and to hop over projectiles. You must also practice dash shielding. I suggest u watch some of the latest videos uploaded to see how some of the pros handle projectiles. Good job so far

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone. I made a Roy montage, featuring his combos and strings:

Tell me if you liked it!

Roy is a really powerful character. He has a lot of short combos, but deals a lot of damage. The sweetspots kill so early it's disgusting ahah.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone. I made a Roy montage, featuring his combos and strings:

Tell me if you liked it!

Roy is a really powerful character. He has a lot of short combos, but deals a lot of damage. The sweetspots kill so early it's disgusting ahah.
1:20 - That DISRESPECT! hahaha

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
IDK if anyone have posted this in the Roy boards like in the social thread for example yet but here's a 13 vs 13 match of JPN online matches of Roy vs Samus for those who are interested.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
https://youtu.be/wLN5RCwgh1Q

This is a match I had recently, can some critique it please c: thank you!
Hi,

A couple pointers i noticed. After almost every Dthrow, you charge an Fsmash. This is one of Roys lagier moves, and if your opponent was of higher skill, could've easily punished b short hop bair. If any thing, after a Dthrow, either short hop Upair/Fair or UpB.

Also, you never sit in shield. Normally shielding a split second, then releasing right away or spot dodging. So even if you shield/dodge correctly, you still get hit by longer lasting moves. Mix it up, hold shield for a few seconds.

Also, chase them of the ledge and try and gimp then a few times, especially recovering low, a quick run off Fair can catch them off guard, or bair depending on position. Dair is a bit to laggy unless timed well, Fair is great for off stage kills

Last edited:

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
I had a tough time against this Kirby, I'm starting to think I'm bad because of my fundamentals and not so much character specifics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDI4VYzDJUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoeOqw9tpBw

Roy has trouble to combo floaty character with his D-throw, in those scenarios it is your F-throw to N-air one of your best tools.
Kirby is floaty and has a small hit box making him difficult to hit with N-air if they're not well measured. you ran towards him a lot, either doing nothing or dash attack, he was baiting you to get the grab or D-air to combo (he can do a lot of stuff after D-air).

Against this character you need to space him with short hop N-air on the same spot, not approaching, and D-tilts to keep him at bay and forcing him to do a mistake. Kirby has a hard time getting the kill, his B-throw and U-throw kill at high % (150% i think), smash attacks and B-air off stage, most for glory kirby's always tries to get the F-smash, this one didn't even do a single B-air, his hammer is used to catch you of guard or scaring you, you only need to keep away, after chargin a while he will get damage and a kirby as a light as he is will not hold it long.

You used a lot of smash attacks, you don't need to use them against a light character unless you are sure you're gonna get the hit from a read, tilts or blazer are good enough to kill him, you also got got a few good jabs when he was at 60-80% which lead to a F-air but you kept trying to get the up smash every single time. Another thing is that you abused your flare blade and counter at the second match making you even more predictable, he notices the over use of counters that's way he waited a lot with his hammer knowing you would run up to him and counter.

So to summarize: Floaty character are harder to combo with D-throw, but are easier with F-throw, as % goes up pummel them a little to rack up damage, at around 130 and 150% up throw them, if they DI'ed poorly you will get the stock.
Small characters are harder to hit with the N-air (also work in your cross up, you landed right in front of him most times) and fast tilt attacks, it's optimal to make them take the approach if your not sure what are they gonna do, space them SHFF N-air at the same spot with D-tilts, and throw a few jabs when they're getting near. You whiffed a few N-airs and started to use short hop F-airs, F-air has longer landing lag making you quite the target for a punish.

At aroung 60-80% when connecting a sweatspotted jab, quickly go for the F-air, avoid whiffing smash attacks and dash attacks and stop over using flare blade and counter, you got some few good counters when returning to the ledge i get you that, but if you start doing it all the time, good players will notice this habit and punish you. Hope any of this helped it's common to have trouble when fighting an unusual character. I have a lot of trouble with some heavies or proyectile characters, i don't get to fight them a lot. so don't get bummed, you learn more from your loses rather than victories

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
Roy has trouble to combo floaty character with his D-throw, in those scenarios it is your F-throw to N-air one of your best tools.
Kirby is floaty and has a small hit box making him difficult to hit with N-air if they're not well measured. you ran towards him a lot, either doing nothing or dash attack, he was baiting you to get the grab or D-air to combo (he can do a lot of stuff after D-air).

Against this character you need to space him with short hop N-air on the same spot, not approaching, and D-tilts to keep him at bay and forcing him to do a mistake. Kirby has a hard time getting the kill, his B-throw and U-throw kill at high % (150% i think), smash attacks and B-air off stage, most for glory kirby's always tries to get the F-smash, this one didn't even do a single B-air, his hammer is used to catch you of guard or scaring you, you only need to keep away, after chargin a while he will get damage and a kirby as a light as he is will not hold it long.

You used a lot of smash attacks, you don't need to use them against a light character unless you are sure you're gonna get the hit from a read, tilts or blazer are good enough to kill him, you also got got a few good jabs when he was at 60-80% which lead to a F-air but you kept trying to get the up smash every single time. Another thing is that you abused your flare blade and counter at the second match making you even more predictable, he notices the over use of counters that's way he waited a lot with his hammer knowing you would run up to him and counter.

So to summarize: Floaty character are harder to combo with D-throw, but are easier with F-throw, as % goes up pummel them a little to rack up damage, at around 130 and 150% up throw them, if they DI'ed poorly you will get the stock.
Small characters are harder to hit with the N-air (also work in your cross up, you landed right in front of him most times) and fast tilt attacks, it's optimal to make them take the approach if your not sure what are they gonna do, space them SHFF N-air at the same spot with D-tilts, and throw a few jabs when they're getting near. You whiffed a few N-airs and started to use short hop F-airs, F-air has longer landing lag making you quite the target for a punish.

At aroung 60-80% when connecting a sweatspotted jab, quickly go for the F-air, avoid whiffing smash attacks and dash attacks and stop over using flare blade and counter, you got some few good counters when returning to the ledge i get you that, but if you start doing it all the time, good players will notice this habit and punish you. Hope any of this helped it's common to have trouble when fighting an unusual character. I have a lot of trouble with some heavies or proyectile characters, i don't get to fight them a lot. so don't get bummed, you learn more from your loses rather than victories
Wow thanks! This is the best help I've gotten on this thread so far! Not that it matters, but usually the newb mistakes I make like trying to counter his charge hammer is basically me on tilt and extremely underestimating them.

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Wow thanks! This is the best help I've gotten on this thread so far! Not that it matters, but usually the newb mistakes I make like trying to counter his charge hammer is basically me on tilt and extremely underestimating them.
Two of my friends main floaty characters, so i had to learn the hard way (one mains pikachu and jiggly and my other pal mains mewtwo and peach), i use kirby from time to time.

I'm really glad i could help a bit, this is why the thread is here for after all and happy smashing.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Last edited:

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Some awesome matches from Sethlon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ35u3pR8Vk vs ZSS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MNOL7s7xX4 vs Mega Man

I feel like I actually learned a lot just by watching the matches helps that the commentators gave some tips too

Also, I'm going to keep updating the list that I posted a few posts above, so be sure to check it out now and then.
i really want to see Sethlon to demonstrate Roy's potential just like in PM, neat matches

Edit: yeah, actually the way he used DED never came in mind, i can never land it quite well, but his setups where on the spot for a full combo, go Sethlooon feel the burn

Last edited:

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
i really want to see Sethlon to demonstrate Roy's potential just like in PM, neat matches

Edit: yeah, actually the way he used DED never came in mind, i can never land it quite well, but his setups where on the spot for a full combo, go Sethlooon feel the burn
I find DED is quit useful when landing if they rush in to try and grab as you can start it in mid air and land, continuing the hits.

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
I'll try that, las night i got to fight a somewhat good Ness, i know what he was going for but still had trouble stopping his grabs

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Its also good to land with a b reversed Neutral B. It does the same coverage as DED, but u act out of it quicker. It also makes for some good aerial movement

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Use D-Throw at low percents, you used side throw a lot and didn't get to follow up at all, after D-throw you can short hop Upair or Up B, or just start a landing trap game. IMO only look to side throw if you are close to the side and can throw them off to start a edge guard.

I noticed a lot of the time right after getting hit you would jump, essentially losing your jump. Save your double jump if possible, use it to fake out Samus so she can't time the blast for when you land, or if you get sent too far, aim for the ledge.

Practice your edge guard game, chase Samus off the edge, you let them get to the ledge for free every time. Run off and throw out a quick fair, even if you over shoot them, you have a chance to stage spike them as you Up B back to the stage. (Edit* Which you did at 1.52 in the second vid.)

When approaching Samus, practice Roys fox trot and shielding, you got caught a lot just rushing head long straight in, copping blast to the face. Throw in some short hops,even land behind Samus with a bair. Even mind game them and just walk in slowly.
When approaching, practice the spacing, Samus has unexpected reach on her attacks, especially including the tether. Try and stay just out of that range, but close enough to make her uncomfortable and that if she throws a laggy move, you can get in quick and punish.

Hope this helps, Personally as Roy, i too struggle against Samus. Her full charge blast charges so quick and she ahs such quick aerials

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Hello Roy boys. I'm working on a series where I face off against various top players in the UK to try to help give my scene a little more exposure while commentating and analysing various matchups. Since my mains are Roy and Shulk the series will feature them vs a variety of characters.

First episode is vs :4diddy:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
@ Virum Virum Ohh, that's some nice and informative stuff. I used to main Shulk before Roy came along, so I'll be sure to follow the series.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
This episode of UK Warriors is primarily focused on my Shulk, however the final game was played as Roy. VS my man Plastic Poptart and his :4pit:

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Hello Roy boards. I've been dabbling with this character for a bit, but I haven't actually taken the time out to ask for a critique with him yet. Does anyone see any glaring flaws with my play? Tips are greatly appreciated. (Roy matches begin at 10:33 and end at 20:42)

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Hello Roy boards. I've been dabbling with this character for a bit, but I haven't actually taken the time out to ask for a critique with him yet. Does anyone see any glaring flaws with my play? Tips are greatly appreciated. (Roy matches begin at 10:33 and end at 20:42)

I can't give you much, you're far better then myself, plus i suck at fighting Wario haha, but that combo at 11:07 was one of the sickest i've seen, i need to add that to my Roy!

I have never been able to do the sh fair to double jump... :(

Last edited:
I was told to post this here

I got into top 8 at Springs Scene VII, a CO major. I went Roy for 80% of it and Ike for 20% or so.

About 80-100 people in pools, then a top 24 bracket where I got into top 8.

Here's my set on stream before being knocked out:

I felt Ike was somewhat redundant, so I'll be going solo Roy next time to focus fully on fundamentals and improvement as Roy.

I saw my weaknesses in my set and asked around for critique, so I'll be working on them a lot and getting experience on the Sonic MU plus Olimar/Pika/D3 since they gave me trouble.

What I've found:
-Going for too many hard reads, there were unecessary and unsafe ones
-Over-committing, I've always had trouble with it as a concept but I plan to finally grasp it.
-Shielding at the ledge and not adapting there.
-Some cringey taunts.

If you guys see anything else I can do better on, as a player or versus Sonic, let me know. I want to get our boy to the top of CO's PR and 1st at everything I go to.

Most of all, I plan to drop some lbs before next time to look better on stream.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
I can't give you much, you're far better then myself, plus i suck at fighting Wario haha, but that combo at 11:07 was one of the sickest i've seen, i need to add that to my Roy!

I have never been able to do the sh fair to double jump... :(
Thanks. I really just wanted to see if there was anything obvious that I was missing in my play as far basics with Roy goes since I'm still a Mega Man main at heart.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke

History contains many legends, and the Kingdom of Lycia is no different! This thread allows one to post videos of Roy gameplay and get critical feedback from other users. Once a large amount of videos are gathered, an archive can be stored.​
  • Please post direct links to the video footage instead of embedding it into your post. Too many embeds on a page can result in heavy lag.
  • When submitting a video, please give some information about it (game mode, online/offline, etc) so that when it may be recorded, it can be properly archived.
Hey ho Liberation! Looks like I am not the only frog that hopped on the roy hype train, eh?

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Since Roy is one of my mains, I thought it'd be best if I showed some matches I had with him.
Will say I'm not the best with Roy, far from it. But I'd like some advice and good ways to improve my Roy. Since I do have one bad habit of throwing Smashes like an idiot, but I dunno what else to improve on.

So here are the matches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fj-yZ5ma9k
Vs. :4samus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xke81uE4kNI
Vs. :rosalina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdbb9iAvBNU
Vs. :4sheik:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P9dvj2on7Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUe-hzGgdrg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-m2ovKBn_U
Vs. :4robinm:

Top Bottom