• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legally playing SSBB via softmodding

NessForOnettMayor

Smash Rookie
I own a legit copy of SSBB for Wii that my used Wii cannot read. I've tried many ways and times to clean the lens to try to get it to read this dual layered disc- no luck. Also, the Wii reads all other non-dual layered discs perfectly.

So, my question is: is there a legal way to play this legit copy of a game I own by softmodding my Wii? And can someone show me, step by step, how to do this? I just want to play regular Brawl - not PM or another variation like that. I understand that this may be against Nintendo's terms of use (and will void a warranty), but is not illegal.

I know how to install Homebrew via Letterbomb. What are my steps after that? And, what kinds of memory devices will work for this task? There seems to be a lot of discussion about whether or not you need a 2GB or less SD card, or if a larger one will work; and what kind can it be (SD, SDHC).

If you could spell it out, step by step, for me, or tell me where I could go to find the answers I'm looking for, I'd greatly appreciate it.

ThoseUpAirsThough

Smash Apprentice
Well, you could try using CleanRip or USB Loader GX for dumping your games.
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/ripping-games/
Just make sure to set Dual Layer to YES during the setup if you're using CleanRip.
Or, if you still can't use your Wii for dumping, if you have the correct DVD reader, you can use something like Friidump or Rawdump.
Those are your best bets.
Also, really doesn't matter if you void your warranty, doubt most warranties are even still available and Nintendo Customer Service even supporting Wiis anymore.
Also, for all methods, you can use SD, SDHC/XC, or even USB.
Just note the game exploits (Smash Stack, Bathaxx, etc) only support SD unless the game already supports SDHC. You would want to use Bannerbomb (4.1-4.2) or Letterbomb (4.3).

Last edited:
Top Bottom