• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Leffen Visa Update

As mentioned in a previous article, the visa application of Melee pro-player, Leffen, was denied recently. He had applied for a P-1 visa, which allows sports players entry into the United States. However, the government did not consider Super Smash Bros. Melee a legitimate sport, much to the dismay of the community.
Fortunately, Team Solo Mid recently announced some good news: Leffen has obtained a short term, P-1 visa, which will allow him entry into the United States until the end of July. This means that Leffen can now enter EVO and other American tournaments.

According to TSM's website, his visa was originally declined because:
  • "Super Smash Bros Melee is a grassroots game and is not institutionalized
  • Super Smash Bros Melee is not considered a legitimate sport
  • There is no real ranking system other than a few non-legitimate websites"
Currently, TSM and Red Bull are trying to expand this to a long-term visa, which will be announced if obtained. In the meantime, you can get more information by checking out Team Solomid's original announcement.

Are you excited to see Leffen at American majors? What do you think this development could mean for the community? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

I thought his Visa was decline because he was using a tourist Visa to perform business or something like that. Guess not.

Even if Leffen is now able to compete in the States, the fact that Melee is not considered a "legitimate" despite having widely known sponsors, legitimate tournaments and recognition from Nintendo should still be addressed.

This news are even bigger then the Leffen status.
It's about how Smash Bros is seen and the force of the community.
I'm proud that as a community we helped to change something that was wrong.
Smash Bros is e-sports now. Soon it will be properly recognized.

This news are even bigger then the Leffen status.
It's about how Smash Bros is seen and the force of the community.
I'm proud that as a community we helped to change something that was wrong.
Smash Bros is e-sports now. Soon it will be properly recognized.
Well, I think what cause this is due to popular Melee is among not only the esports community, but the gaming community worldwide. I there are gamers in Taiwan who don't think Smash Bros or even Melee is a esport. Hell, we have LoL tournaments and crews in Taiwan, but no Melee tournament scenes. I saw many Taiwan gamers play Smash 3DS right at it's launch at my local McDonalds, but only me still playing three months later I return to the same place. Similar case for Wii U version.

Is there a reason why the White House petition to recognize Melee as a sport has not been mentioned in either of these articles? Being on Smashboards would make it much more well-known and, as a result, more successful.

Last edited:
We are at about 5,000 sigs per day, but more support would not hurt. Reddit has already been addressed; Where else should we ask?
Anyone and everyone. Your friends, family, coworkers, and the guy down the street. Once we can get broader support from all around then we will have tire recognition.

It'd kinda be hard to ask a family member who mostly likely doesn't care about video games to sign something that's going to the White House.
Just explain the situation, give context, and show footage of events to back up your points. That method should be able to show them the validity of your argument.

Finally, all my #FreeLeffen posts have paid off.

Anyone and everyone. Your friends, family, coworkers, and the guy down the street. Once we can get broader support from all around then we will have tire recognition.
I'd say 4chan, but I think we all know how that could turn out. /v/ may be fine, but if it were to spread to my namesake... I cringe with fear. I guess maybe IGN or some other big vidya group.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ridiculous thing about this scenario is that Leffen is getting rusty. Dropping a set to Axe is one thing, Axe is a top 10 player for a reason, but getting 7th at a major is something that hasn't happened since Dreamhack Winter, and before that Press Start last May! Hopefully this White House petition goes somewhere and we do get a change.

Top Bottom