• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Leffen a 6th God in melee

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
I think mang0 is becoming more irrelevant, at least lately

I think that Leffen ranges from 5th-3rd best in the world

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
Leffen showed a lot of smart, quick skills in those melee matches. But this is my first time seeing him compete. Granted I don't keep up with a lot of competitive play, I'm familiar with the top 5 that are addressed. So long as Leffen keeps winning more rounds, and eventually more tournaments, I think he's earned a spot at the top.

I won't lie, his Melee skills are good. He still needs to keep the momentum going.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
My criteria for that is-
1. If leffen is winning against on point fresh gods consistently
2. When on point, NOT knocked out by any players under the top 5 unless we have another player entering god status
3. Destroy any of the other 5 all the time if they are ever having an off day when hes on point and playing his best.

When leffens god wins occur they are against the gods while they are severely weakened and playing extremely off while he plays on point or is in general much better shape than the god he is playing. M2k had 3 hours of sleep and had stayed up all day when he lost to leffen.

That does not count to anybody with a sense of authentic victory. The fact that leffen values this win over m2k shows that he wants only the status of being a god. Just the status. No real world champion would ever value or care about beating somebody having a really off day because then their title means nothing because it wasn't really earned. They would feel bad that they couldn't have a 100% vs 100% fight to decide it all and prove that they really were the best.

People say no johns but heres the thing. Leffen beating m2k at APEX 2015 was the same as

The 10th best arm wrestler trying to armwrestle a current arm wrestling world champion
And then beating that arm wrestling champion in an arm wrestling contest because the arm wrestling champion had a broken elbow.

Yes you win. Yes the arm wrestling champion is defeated. But you know that they're still stronger than you and even if you think you are better than them you didn't prove to them or yourself that you truly are. You didn't actually beat their average level of skill that makes them usually win and defines the challenge that is truly defeating them.

If you didn't compete against and defeat a god level of skill then how can you say you're a god yourself?

Lets say you recently won a martial arts tournament and you want to beat a martial arts master. Hes considered undefeatable. He tells you that hes only going to use 10% of his strength to battle you and never go above 10%. If you beat him when you know hes only giving you 10% would you really take that win as authentic and believe that you are stronger than he is? NO!

Beating a god that is having a really off day does not make you a god slayer because they are not playing like gods when you fight them and win. Mang0 was not playing at his usual level of skill at apex 2015. He was under performing. Beating him in this state means you beat mortal mang0. Not god mang0. Doesn't count. The same mang0 you beat is a mang0 that struggled with amsa. Mang0 is way better than amsa. Way better than the amsa we saw at apex 2015.

Leffen that m2k you beat is a m2k that lost to shroomed. There have been instances in the past before where gods have had really off days and lost to players that they would normally never lose to.

/long post end

And just for the record I want to say that the no johns rule is really bad because it encourages wins under conditions where the win isn't authentic as a valid win that defines you as better than the person you beat like I described in my post.

According to the no johns rule if you go 100% all out and you have a close game with somebody who said they decided they were using just 10% of their skill and you beat them you're supposed to be the better player. Now THAT is bull****.

m0ll0y

Smash Cadet
When did leffen first pop up to be big in melee? , i feel like the current top 5 have been followed since like 08/09 or even before.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
A win is a win, so I'd count any win that leffen can get.

imo marth is the most annoying character to fight. definitely top 3, shiek is #4 IMO

Last edited:

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
If he'd won APEX, then maybe we could talk about it. But he hasn't won a major US tournament, or any tournament where most/all of the Gods were there. I don't put that much stock in winning BEAST, even though congrats to him, it's great, it's not on the level of winning an apex or evo. And my biggest issue with Leffen is after winning a big game, he gets very full of himself, and starts to make boneheaded mistakes in the following sets.

Maybe someday he gets on that level, but he's not there yet. Closer than anybody else, but if I were picking Leffen's good day vs any of the gods' good day, I wouldn't be picking Leffen.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
My criteria for that is-
1. If leffen is winning against on point fresh gods consistently
2. When on point, NOT knocked out by any players under the top 5 unless we have another player entering god status
3. Destroy any of the other 5 all the time if they are ever having an off day when hes on point and playing his best.

When leffens god wins occur they are against the gods while they are severely weakened and playing extremely off while he plays on point or is in general much better shape than the god he is playing. M2k had 3 hours of sleep and had stayed up all day when he lost to leffen.

That does not count to anybody with a sense of authentic victory. The fact that leffen values this win over m2k shows that he wants only the status of being a god. Just the status. No real world champion would ever value or care about beating somebody having a really off day because then their title means nothing because it wasn't really earned. They would feel bad that they couldn't have a 100% vs 100% fight to decide it all and prove that they really were the best.

People say no johns but heres the thing. Leffen beating m2k at APEX 2015 was the same as

The 10th best arm wrestler trying to armwrestle a current arm wrestling world champion
And then beating that arm wrestling champion in an arm wrestling contest because the arm wrestling champion had a broken elbow.

Yes you win. Yes the arm wrestling champion is defeated. But you know that they're still stronger than you and even if you think you are better than them you didn't prove to them or yourself that you truly are. You didn't actually beat their average level of skill that makes them usually win and defines the challenge that is truly defeating them.
If you didn't compete against and defeat a god level of skill then how can you say you're a god yourself?

Lets say you recently won a martial arts tournament and you want to beat a martial arts master. Hes considered undefeatable. He tells you that hes only going to use 10% of his strength to battle you and never go above 10%. If you beat him when you know hes only giving you 10% would you really take that win as authentic and believe that you are stronger than he is? NO!

Beating a god that is having a really off day does not make you a god slayer because they are not playing like gods when you fight them and win. Mang0 was not playing at his usual level of skill at apex 2015. He was under performing. Beating him in this state means you beat mortal mang0. Not god mang0. Doesn't count. The same mang0 you beat is a mang0 that struggled with amsa. Mang0 is way better than amsa. Way better than the amsa we saw at apex 2015.

Leffen that m2k you beat is a m2k that lost to shroomed. There have been instances in the past before where gods have had really off days and lost to players that they would normally never lose to.

/long post end

And just for the record I want to say that the no johns rule is really bad because it encourages wins under conditions where the win isn't authentic as a valid win that defines you as better than the person you beat like I described in my post.

According to the no johns rule if you go 100% all out and you have a close game with somebody who said they decided they were using just 10% of their skill and you beat them you're supposed to be the better player. Now THAT is bull****.
Leffen was actually ill during Apex, though =P

So it wasn't 100% vs 100%, or 100% vs 70% or whatever

The fact he wasn't 100% and beat both M2k and Mango when THEY were both not 100%, as well as beating Mango AND Armada when he was, supposedly, 100% and they weren't, both are valid statements to make in reply to your post.

D

Deleted member

leffen is and has been a tier 1 player in melee for at least a year now. why he doesnt get credit for it is ridiculous to me

list of smashboards tier 1 players in melee history since the game's beginning-

azen
ken
isai
chudat
pc chris
korean dj
mew2king
mango
hungrybox
armada
dr peepee
leffen

whether you life leffen or not doesnt matter fact is he wins and he's good as ****, dont deny reality imo

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
If he'd won APEX, then maybe we could talk about it. But he hasn't won a major US tournament, or any tournament where most/all of the Gods were there. I don't put that much stock in winning BEAST, even though congrats to him, it's great, it's not on the level of winning an apex or evo. And my biggest issue with Leffen is after winning a big game, he gets very full of himself, and starts to make boneheaded mistakes in the following sets.

Maybe someday he gets on that level, but he's not there yet. Closer than anybody else, but if I were picking Leffen's good day vs any of the gods' good day, I wouldn't be picking Leffen.
Well according to this logic, someone could get second at every event for the rest of time, placing higher on average than every other god, making them the best player in the world, and still not be a god.

I.E. Basically Chudat

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Well according to this logic, someone could get second at every event for the rest of time, placing higher on average than every other god, making them the best player in the world, and still not be a god.

I.E. Basically Chudat
Chudat confirmed 7th god.

Last edited:

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice

I.E. Basically Chudat
In all competitive events whether sports, gaming, or others, you are ultimately judged on championships, on titles, on that singular moment where you rose above all others.

It's the same reason why when people talk about all time great NFL QBs you hear names like Elway, Montana, Brady, Manning. Qbs that both dominated statistically and have the hardware to back it up. Leffen at this point is like a Dan Marino. An absolutely brilliant player, and maybe the most gifted to ever play the game. But for as long as he falls short of winning a major US tournament, against the best, he isn't among that group. He's right on the cusp, but he hasn't broken through yet. If he will or not, time will tell. Personally, I think his biggest hurdle is himself. Psychologically, he's got the opposite of that M2K complex, where he can get a little rattled. I see Leffen win big sets, huge sets, and then he doesn't carry that level of play forward. Until he can do that consistently enough to win a major, I can't call him a sixth god.

Armada took CEO
Hungrybox took Paragon and Smash the Record
M2K took Zenith 2k14 and Pound V.5
Mango has taken 2 EVOs
PPMD has taken 2 APEXs

These 5 have taken those (and countless others)

Leffen has taken BEAST, and that's pretty much it. 2nd and 3rd place finishes are good, but the truly great players have to win it all every once in a while. He isn't there yet. He can, and probably will get there, but I have to say I don't believe he is there yet.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
In all competitive events whether sports, gaming, or others, you are ultimately judged on championships, on titles, on that singular moment where you rose above all others.

It's the same reason why when people talk about all time great NFL QBs you hear names like Elway, Montana, Brady, Manning. Qbs that both dominated statistically and have the hardware to back it up. Leffen at this point is like a Dan Marino. An absolutely brilliant player, and maybe the most gifted to ever play the game. But for as long as he falls short of winning a major US tournament, against the best, he isn't among that group. He's right on the cusp, but he hasn't broken through yet. If he will or not, time will tell. Personally, I think his biggest hurdle is himself. Psychologically, he's got the opposite of that M2K complex, where he can get a little rattled. I see Leffen win big sets, huge sets, and then he doesn't carry that level of play forward. Until he can do that consistently enough to win a major, I can't call him a sixth god.

Armada took CEO
Mango has taken 2 EVOs
PPMD has taken 2 APEXs

Leffen has taken BEAST, and that's pretty much it. 2nd and 3rd place finishes are good, but the truly great players have to win it all every once in a while. He isn't there yet. He can, and probably will get there, but I have to say I don't believe he is there yet.
This IS the year of Leffen. So we'll see how he progresses forward.

We've sort of seen that Armada's Fox is insane though, so like...good luck to him getting past THAT, he ain't no Peach anymore o3o lol

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
^I agree. This is a pivotal year for Leffen. He could either go the route of challenging to be the GOAT, or he could fall by the way of KDJ. It's impossible to tell at this point.

(Disclaimer: KDJ is still a good player. Just not a god.)

KullaN_xo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5215-0584-6923
Ken will always be known as the King of Smash.
M2K, PPMD, Hbox, Armada and Mango will always be known as the 5 gods.
Call Leffen a God slayer if he has a good run at his peak. But those 6 previously mentioned will always have there titles. Thus, I don't agree with calling leffen "The 6th" or whatever.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
^I agree. This is a pivotal year for Leffen. He could either go the route of challenging to be the GOAT, or he could fall by the way of KDJ. It's impossible to tell at this point.

(Disclaimer: KDJ is still a good player. Just not a god.)
I doubt he'll fall

KDJ stopped being interested after Brawl came out, as a lot of players, like PC Chris, did the same, right?

But Leffen seems intent on being the best. Honestly, his cockyness if possibly hs best motivation.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
If Leffen can take a few more major tournaments, then yes, he needs a title. Dark Lord of the Sith sounds nice.
Leffen Dark Lord.png

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't really like the idea of the labels "five gods" or "six gods". To me, a god is someone who does not lose to or, at the VERY least, RARELY loses to someone outside of the top six. By that definition, to me there are only three gods: Mango, Armada, and PPMD.

However, that being said, I am actually uncomfortable calling anyone a god at all. To me I think there are four tiers:

A+ - Mango, PPMD, and Armada (In no order) - I don't remember these three losing to anyone else outside of the top 6 in quite some time (correct me if I am wrong)

A - Leffen, Hungrybox, Mew2king (In no order) - These guys have been susceptible to losing to people outside of the top 6, espcially the latter two.

B- Axe, Hax, Westballz, Plup, etc - These guys have a decent shot to beat someone in the top 6, but are always underdogs.

C - Everyone else. These guys have slim to no shot at beating a top 6 player.

Last edited:

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
After having now defeated all 5 existing gods, I think he should be considered one. However, I don't think he'll ever be officially recognized as one by the community as a whole until he wins Apex or EVO because of how easy he is to hate. It's a petty reason, but it's still a reason.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh

Armada took CEO
Mango has taken 2 EVOs
PPMD has taken 2 APEXs

very flawed, especially with the tournaments that you listed M2K as winning.

Also armada won super sweet

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
After having now defeated all 5 existing gods, I think he should be considered one. However, I don't think he'll ever be officially recognized as one by the community as a whole until he wins Apex or EVO because of how easy he is to hate. It's a petty reason, but it's still a reason.
I disagree, at least for me. I definitely don't hate leffen. I love his cockiness, confidence - it's people like him who made the salty suite so amazing. I watched the entire top 8 partially because of him. He made a lot of bold claims and he was able to back them up. Reading his tweets (it's crazy how may people follow him!) is entertaining. Watching him accept the thousand dollar money match without hesitation was fun to watch. I have no doubt he will win a major tournament - it's just a matter of when (if he hadn't already with beast five but only two other gods were present) I'm excited for the future of smash melee. We are in an era where anyone can win a major. It is no longer possible to predict, imo, who will win the next major. All the "gods" are vulnerable. we are truly in the golden age of smash and leffen is right in the middle of it. Call him a villain, a God, a God slayer...he's here and he's not going anywhere. I can't wait for evo. :)

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
I disagree, at least for me. I definitely don't hate leffen. I love his cockiness, confidence - it's people like him who made the salty suite so amazing. I watched the entire top 8 partially because of him. He made a lot of bold claims and he was able to back them up. Reading his tweets (it's crazy how may people follow him!) is entertaining. Watching him accept the thousand dollar money match without hesitation was fun to watch. I have no doubt he will win a major tournament - it's just a matter of when (if he hadn't already with beast five but only two other gods were present) I'm excited for the future of smash melee. We are in an era where anyone can win a major. It is no longer possible to predict, imo, who will win the next major. All the "gods" are vulnerable. we are truly in the golden age of smash and leffen is right in the middle of it. Call him a villain, a God, a God slayer...he's here and he's not going anywhere. I can't wait for evo. :)
Not everyone's going to hate a villain, of course. Most people don't seem to like him very much, though, and not without reason.

RWB

Smash Ace
Mew2King counts him in the "big 6", and Armada considers him one of the gods.

He's won a major(Beast V applies) with at least two other gods in attendance(and those two were #1 and #2 in the world at that point). If you don't consider that a good enough Major- Hbox only became a god at PARAGON, as Smash the Record, as far as I know, had fewer contestants and featured a weaker god lineup than Beast V.

He's beaten all 5 gods- Something M2K didn't actually manage until the middle of 2014.

His tournament records in 2014 are actually stronger than Hbox, and his 2015 record is only arguably beaten by PPMD(If his one Apex win counts higher than both the Beast 5 1st, Paragon 3rd, and Apex 3rd), and better than every single other god.

His record against the other gods was arguably better than Hungrybox last year, and this year he's got more wins vs losses against other gods than any other member of the top 5(6 set wins, set 3 losses).

He's a member of the top group now. You can refrain from calling him a god, but he's on that level now.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
No other player can obtain the title of "God".

I believe new terms will have to be made for certain players. Leffen is the first to be adopted into a new tier of players who have beaten the Gods after their reign.

Perhaps the term for this new group of player(s) could be called Paramounts? Paramounts sounds good to me.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
No other player can obtain the title of "God".

I believe new terms will have to be made for certain players. Leffen is the first to be adopted into a new tier of players who have beaten the Gods after their reign.

Perhaps the term for this new group of player(s) could be called Paramounts? Paramounts sounds good to me.
I personally think Leffen will sit above this throne all alone, as Ken once did.

I think Amsa, Axe, and maybe a couple others like Hax and Westballz will rise up one day to overthrow Leffen, at that point.

But here's the thing.

We went from a King, to Gods. Now what is left? God-slayer, of course.

Last edited:

Bukeassassin5

Smash Rookie
I don't really think we can call him one of the gods. I think because of history we can call him a Titan or something like that. He is definitely up on the top, but I don't want to call him a god.

RWB

Smash Ace
Some people call him the Demon, Devil or Godslayer.

Devil works pretty well. :p

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Some people call him the Demon, Devil or Godslayer.

Devil works pretty well. :p
Titan is definitely interesting, except he's alone, and the GODS overthrew the titans xP

Demon/Devil/Godslayer is great.

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
I agree that he is on the skill level of the Gods, at least relatively speaking. I still think Mango would beat him 7/10 times or so, but He'd probably break even with Hbox, maybe M2K. Anyways, being a part of the 'Gods' is more than just how good you are, at least to me. It's about your legacy, the mark you made on the game. If Leffen quit competitive Melee tomorrow, what would his legacy be? It would be the legacy of what could've been, could he have won an EVO, an APEX? Maybe he could've been the GOAT. We simply don't have enough on Leffen to say that he's a God yet.

Also, I like to think that each of the Gods revolutionized some aspect of the game. Mango brought a lot of characters to levels they hadn't really been to before, being the first jiggs, the reign of scorp master, and he brought spacies to even greater heights than before. Armada's Peach changed the Peach meta significantly. PPMD has a greater psychological analysis to the game than I think we've ever had before. M2K changed Marth from the Ken style to the modern style, and that's quite a leap, not to mention his Sheik perfected the character. HBox goes without saying, as he is still getting it done with jiggs, despite changes to his playstyle, he's the only one doing it at the level he's doing it.

Leffen plays a pretty straight forward Fox. There's no playstyle variance to the stereotypical high level Fox, he's just extremely good at it. He hasn't brought much new to the table, meta wise. It goes back to legacy. Ken left the game, but we still have the Ken Combo. There's the M2K combo (fair to stagespike up B as Marth). There's Hbox's infamous wall of pain. PPMD's insane mindgames. And Armada's crazy turnip game. What has Leffen done to revolutionize his character? Not much, yet. That doesn't take away from his skill as a player, which is extremely high. But I'm trying to say that there is more to being a God than just raw skill.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I agree that he is on the skill level of the Gods, at least relatively speaking. I still think Mango would beat him 7/10 times or so, but He'd probably break even with Hbox, maybe M2K. Anyways, being a part of the 'Gods' is more than just how good you are, at least to me. It's about your legacy, the mark you made on the game. If Leffen quit competitive Melee tomorrow, what would his legacy be? It would be the legacy of what could've been, could he have won an EVO, an APEX? Maybe he could've been the GOAT. We simply don't have enough on Leffen to say that he's a God yet.

Also, I like to think that each of the Gods revolutionized some aspect of the game. Mango brought a lot of characters to levels they hadn't really been to before, being the first jiggs, the reign of scorp master, and he brought spacies to even greater heights than before. Armada's Peach changed the Peach meta significantly. PPMD has a greater psychological analysis to the game than I think we've ever had before. M2K changed Marth from the Ken style to the modern style, and that's quite a leap, not to mention his Sheik perfected the character. HBox goes without saying, as he is still getting it done with jiggs, despite changes to his playstyle, he's the only one doing it at the level he's doing it.

Leffen plays a pretty straight forward Fox. There's no playstyle variance to the stereotypical high level Fox, he's just extremely good at it. He hasn't brought much new to the table, meta wise. It goes back to legacy. Ken left the game, but we still have the Ken Combo. There's the M2K combo (fair to stagespike up B as Marth). There's Hbox's infamous wall of pain. PPMD's insane mindgames. And Armada's crazy turnip game. What has Leffen done to revolutionize his character? Not much, yet. That doesn't take away from his skill as a player, which is extremely high. But I'm trying to say that there is more to being a God than just raw skill.
Thats why he's not a God, but a Devil :3

RWB

Smash Ace

You could argue he's responsible to a degree for Hbox's low placements compared to other gods, and even to a degree M2K's "Return of the King"(taking out threats to M2K from competitions). But yeah, not what you meant.

There is at least one thing Leffen excels at even compared to any other Fox- the Up Tilt game. He uses the Up Tilt in ways other top level Fox's don't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom