• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Teching

gr8ape

Smash Apprentice
Does one have to smash DI towards the ledge THEN tech or simply DI towards the ledge while getting hit then tech?

Vro

Smash Lord
You have a 20 frame window to tech after receiving a hit. You have 2-3 and upward of 18 (in the case Samus's charge shot) to input Smash DI after receiving a hit, insuring you remain at near the ledge. You go figure.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Yes, you do need to input smash DI to make it so that you go into the wall(or in this case, ledge) allowing for a tech, or at least a little green I hit the wall thing that cancels some of the momentum.

Basically ledge tech is: Get hit>Have a few frames to do smash DI> if smash DI'd correctly hit the wall>tech

gr8ape

Smash Apprentice
alright so say I recover with up b, I should let go of the control stick at the last moment, THEN input smash DI and tech or recover safely

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Basically ledge tech is: Get hit>Have a few frames to do smash DI> if smash DI'd correctly hit the wall>tech
Pretty much, but there's no mention of hitting the tech button, and if you don't, you'll just bounce off of the ledge. Sometimes its just easier to hit L, or whatever button you tech with, before you even get hit. This is usually much more effective vs attacks like space animals' downsmash or even marth's sword.

If a hit is techable, you can press L while ASDI-ing towards the edge with the c-stick. Right AS you're getting hit, smash the control stick in the direction of the stage. A great way to learn is by setting a motion sensor bomb on the edge of any stage. Jump off of the edge and first work on teching the hit when getting hit out of the up-b animation. Playing as fox/falco, i press up-b, and start ASDI-ing towards the stage before I start moving. Right before I think i'm going to get hit, I press L and then (as i'm getting hit) smash the control stick during the stage.

There's a guide on DI floating around here somewhere which sort of covers it

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
...umm is it possible to ledge tech without smash di. like with cf of falco if you ride up the wall you dont have to smash di then? because I never purposefully smash di and i ledge tech fairly often

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
...umm is it possible to ledge tech without smash di. like with cf of falco if you ride up the wall you dont have to smash di then? because I never purposefully smash di and i ledge tech fairly often
At lower percents, it's possible against some attacks if you're ASDI-ing toward the stage. At mid to high percents, smash di becomes more and more important. You'll also have to slightly change the timing and add smash di for attacks like marth's counter

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I think he means if you are hugging the wall and get hit below the edge (like by marth's fsmash)

Don't think you have to SDI if you are already touching the wall

gr8ape

Smash Apprentice
Im thinking more like revoring with up b or side b (falco)

ill have to try the asdi teching...

Geist

Smash Master
Sometimes all it takes is to be close enough to the edge.
Of course, if you're being hit towards the edge you don't need to DI either.

If you're recovering low with falco towards the edge, being hit by (example) marth's fsmash, then you can tech without DI, only if you are close enough to the edge. The "hitbox" for teching on a wall, ceiling, etc is the same as the floor, so you don't have to be physically touching the stage, just close enough to it.
In the same scenario with Marth, if you're recovering with sideB, you can still tech the edge as long as you don't get caught by fsmash's tipper. In that case you would have to smash DI perfectly in order to hit the edge. (I'm also assuming that the marth isn't spacing so that the tipper is exactly where the edge meets falco, but reaching over the edge)
I made that way more complicated than it should be.

There's a thread in here somewhere. I don't know if it's purely about teching though. You might have to lurk around.

Magus420

Smash Master
- When you press L/R to tech you will tech if you collide with a surface for the next 20 frames, and be unable to tech for the following 40 after that.

- You can't press L/R to tech during hitlag.

- ASDI occurs directly after hitlag, so if you rely on ASDI to tech then your window to time the tech will be 20 minus the hitlag of the attack, and you should press it before you get hit.

- The movement from ASDI is combined with the 1st frame of knockback from the attack, so if the attack is strong enough the movement towards the surface from ASDI will not be enough to make up for the movement away from it from knockback and you won't collide with it and will be unable to tech.

- With SDI, however, you can edgetech any techable attack (has enough knockback to put you into a tumble) at any damage as long as you're within SDIable distance from it when you get hit, since SDI happens during hitlag and is before you are sent anywhere from the attack.

- Since you can SDI and hit the surface at any point during hitlag, the window to tech with SDI is much better than relying on ASDI where the full amount of the hitlag will always be removed from the 20 frame window.

- The more hitlag the attack has the easier SDI teching will be (larger window to input the SDI) and the timing for teching using ASDI becomes harder (smaller window before hitlag to time the tech), while the less hitlag an attack has the harder SDIing becomes and easier ASDI becomes. Again though, if the attack has enough knockback or you are not close enough to the stage it doesn't matter since ASDI will be unable to do the job and you will need to SDI.

- Not all characters can hit the stage as easily as others when riding the wall. Ganon/Falcon's up-Bs for example push them away from the wall when they flip near the end of it and the up-B isn't reversed. While they may be able to edgetech an attack at a certain percent with ASDI when hit partway through the up-B when hugging the wall, they might not be able to if they were to instead get hit near the end of the up-B. In this case you would need to SDI to hit the stage.

- As long as you can maintain good normal DI right afterwards in case you don't get the tech, you should really always try to get the SDI off before you do.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
thank the buddha for magus and his smash knowledge.

and the amazing tech in his sig.

EDIT

so what type of DI are you using in that tech?

Top Bottom