• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Stun from Hydropump

Father Kelso

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure "ledge stun" is the right name, but I wanted to talk about the scenario where you hydropump into the ledge and instead of grabbing it, Greninja sort of bounces off, is put in stun/freefall and falls to his death. It seems to happen more often in this game than in Sm4sh.

How/why does this happen and how do I avoid it? Can you survive even if you do get the stun animation? I'm pretty sure I saw Venia or someone manage to grab the ledge after being put in the stun/freefall but when it happens to me it seems like I can't drift at all.

I'm guessing it's from hydropumping from certain distances and certain angles that causes you to hit the ledge too hard but I haven't figured out exactly what those are.

Anyone else experience this? Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
The term is called "Headbonking". And you don't get free fall, you can attack or walcling without issues. It happens when you collide head on into a wall. It can be avoided by just going to the ledge in a diagonal angle, and can be survived by holding the control stick towards the ledge. Used properly, this "downside" can extend your recovery. I love intentionally triggering it, wall cling, and jump towards the ledge with an uncharged Shuriken, an Uair or a Fair to cover myself if necessary. I think it is possible to double jump after headbonking if you still have it, as it is possible to use it if you get hit out of Hydro Pump now, but I haven't been able to do it.

Father Kelso

Smash Cadet
The term is called "Headbonking". And you don't get free fall, you can attack or walcling without issues. It happens when you collide head on into a wall. It can be avoided by just going to the ledge in a diagonal angle, and can be survived by holding the control stick towards the ledge. Used properly, this "downside" can extend your recovery. I love intentionally triggering it, wall cling, and jump towards the ledge with an uncharged Shuriken, an Uair or a Fair to cover myself if necessary. I think it is possible to double jump after headbonking if you still have it, as it is possible to use it if you get hit out of Hydro Pump now, but I haven't been able to do it.
Thanks for the response. I don't see it as something I'll be going for intentionally, but I guess I'll just have to practice activating it so that I can respond properly when it does happen.

Tbsketch

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the response. I don't see it as something I'll be going for intentionally, but I guess I'll just have to practice activating it so that I can respond properly when it does happen.
i do it all the time..... if you hold over left or right (depending on what side ledge your on) u auto grab the ledge instead of falling

Top Bottom