• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Boosting *Updated with wavebounce version*

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The trick is to glide toss so that you still have momentum by the time you Up-B

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
If this wasn't said already [because I don't feel like reading right now], as long as we don't glide toss that far away, we don't have to do the Glide Toss Ledge Cancel while we are right next to the ledge. We can slide a little bit before we reach the cliff, and we'll still obtain the same large boost launching off the ledge, so it's another plus.

And that pretty much answers this quote.

out of curiousity, is it possible to do this from standing a little bit away from the edge instead of right on it?

We can pretty much do this technique anywhere where our glide toss's slide will be negated. It's good that Mister Eric showed in the video that we can do this in between the globs on Brinstar...that part negates the slide too, great job once again Mister Eric.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hopefully I will get to implement this in the tournament I'm going to this weekend during a recorded match for some examples. I'm getting the pivot down much better ^_^. it's got me doing grounded pivot up+b's more too which I've always wanted to have into my game.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Can you help explain the pivot ledge boost to me? I've never been a good pivoter.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Can you help explain the pivot ledge boost to me? I've never been a good pivoter.

Basically, its doing the glide-toss thing, and then inputting the up+B & rotation of joystick to get the "turn-around" up+b. The momentum from the glide toss flings you back TOWARD the stage, and the pivot of the up+B makes you FACE the stage (or away from it, depending on which way you glide-tossed &such).

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
A good way to learn the pivot before doing it with the glide toss is to just do a running, grounded pivot up+b. It's pretty easy if you have tap jump on, but if you keep it off like I do then you might have to map another jump button. I use Z to do this (changing grab to X). So if it's off, you need to be running in one direction, then input the jump + reverse+b all in the same motion. If it's on, then just don't worry about doing the jump as the stick will do it for you.

I recommend this first because you can see all the motions. If you do it on the ledge you can only feel and hope you're doing it right because R.O.B. isn't going to be moving. I guess go from running pivot up+ b's, then glide toss pivot up b, and finally the ledge pivot up b.

Sorry if this was a redundant read, i is super sleepy ^_^

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Just a little FYI, this can be done off the edge of pretty much every type of platform.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Sexy.
I hope you tried it on every platform on 75m. j/k XD

No recorded footage just yet. Though the tournament I was at, Mr. E and Sneaky Tako used it to their advantage in-tournament. Sneaky said the ledge boost to fair was pretty sick.

I'll have a dazzle present at the tournament this weekend so I'll try to record any matches I can.

Thanks, Dull for testing all of that out!.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
NP, man.

I thought this theory was established already for this technique.
"It will work anywhere if we glide-toss somewhere where it cancels the slide."

There are a few where it *doesn't* work, unless I consistently messed up on those platforms specifically, which may or may not be happening.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Attempt at 3:50 http://www.youtube.com/user/ChiboSempai#p/u/17/mnkBLwJFro8. Nobody really recovers near the arc where this takes ROB though.

Because of the music, I also just played through Megaman X on the SNES. Discuss.
At the angle which TL was recovering, this probably would have been best done on the the middle or right platform. Also if perhaps done a little closer toward the edge it would have been more practical to try the boost. He pretty much did just a glide toss to up+b bc not much momentum carried over from the ledge.
Good catch tho ^_^

Last second thought, after rewatching before posting this, doing the GTLC would have been best on the middle platform.

T0MMY

Smash Master
hola beepos,

here i is again with what I hope some of you will find useful.

first,
the video!

EDIT: An extension to the technique:
Ledge Boost Wavebounce
This is why I keep telling everyone here to read my posts on AiB. I post new things there and eventually someone else figures it out later here.

I'm surprised HugS didn't post something about it when I used it on him at TourneyPlay 2.
I called it the "Super Booster".

Edit: also, eventually you will do the snazzy reverse-momentum Super Booster, it looks crazy X^)

Edit 2: my bad, you call when you reverse the momentum a Wave Bounce.... wtf? Where are the waves, lol.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Edit 2: my bad, you call when you reverse the momentum a Wave Bounce.... wtf? Where are the waves, lol.
"Wavebounce" is (if I remember correctly) is mashing the control stick in the opposite direction after you initiate a Special. It's similar to the B-Reversal except that wavebouncing reverses your momentum instead of maintaining it.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Well, I consider myself a good ROB user, but I've just been hiding.

I dont want scrubs from AiB here if they arent going to say anything useful or look at the posted techniques and build off of them.

IMO

T0MMY

Smash Master
Lots of people need to more of this....I mean SWF is very welcoming & very helpful.
Right?
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH RIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHT
lol.

I started here way back in the day and left because this place is anything but. Maybe it's just me, but I love AiB, and that's where all my content is going to stay. I just drop by here every once in a while to say hi, even though I post something useful every once in a while.
Seriously though, if you want to keep up on R.O.B. game development you should read the posts here and read my posts over at AiB.

Edit: oh, and the Reverse-Special doesn't change your momentum, but the Reverse-momentum does... that's what I was referring to.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
That's cool, man. I've watched this video before and didn't catch it, mainly because it's easy to see it as just an up b out of glide toss because you perform it before actually being at the ledge, therefore we see the mobility.

I'm not trying to claim that I found it, but when I did stumble across it, I thought it best to expose ^_^

ggs against AZ =]

beeped him silly.

Top Bottom