• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Boosting *Updated with wavebounce version*

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
hola beepos,

here i is again with what I hope some of you will find useful.

first,
the video!

EDIT: An extension to the technique:
Ledge Boost Wavebounce

Note: if this is an obvious find, then my bad; I beeped up. But I think anything, no matter how situational, can help improve our robot's game.

The How To:
First, as many of you have noticed, it involves a previous technique that has already been noted and that is up+b'ing out of glide toss. This is the same exact input as that just in a spot where your R.O.B. will go nowhere. The result is, a robot on crack to put it simple.

Now as you may have noticed from the video, I only glide tossed the top upward. I did this for two reasons: the glide toss distance is very good, about the same as glide tossing the top forward or backwards and that glide tossing upward doesn't change the direction I'm facing. This is useful in the sense that maybe you want to "Ledge Boost" into an immediate back-air (without reverse up+b'ing), then glidetossing upward with your back facing the ledge will not turn you around.

As simple as it sounds, it can be frustrating to try it and it not work because you flubbed your glidetoss and without any grounded movement, you won't know if you missed it or not lol. So just get it down.

Uhh, like I said, me hopes most of you find this useful rather than impractical. It is definitely overall situational, but I think if you robots played with it enough, then it could lead to some pretty surprising outcomes for your opponents...

Discuss! =]

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Ahh, nifty lookin stuff, man. It operates on the same principal as that glide-hugging I found a few months ago; the momentum from your glide-toss carries over (in mine: into a ledgehog) and in yours, to an up+B. I should have found this myself, lol.

Either way- good find.

Edit: Just played around with it some. You can also get the boost going back TOWARD the stage. I managed to do it 2-3 times on accident, don't know the specific button combo, though. Pivot the up+B, maybe?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Ahh, nifty lookin stuff, man. It operates on the same principal as that glide-hugging I found a few months ago; the momentum from your glide-toss carries over (in mine: into a ledgehog) and in yours, to an up+B. I should have found this myself, lol.

Either way- good find.

Edit: Just played around with it some. You can also get the boost going back TOWARD the stage. I managed to do it 2-3 times on accident, don't know the specific button combo, though. Pivot the up+B, maybe?
thx! =] I ended up glide hugging a few times by accident so I can see how they both definitely relate. and interesting, my guess would be the pivot up+b as well because it's easy to do a grounded one that way.

Holy ****, finally a legit discovery with ROB. Time to practice this, It will be super useful.
ROB metagame is back on track.
beepbeep!

dude wow, when you first did that, it totally mindf*d me. nice find

what kind of cabinet is that?
lol, I've held onto the idea for about a month now (making sure it was legit) practicing it in tournies and friendlies and every instance I pull it off I get a big "WTF" from my opponent.

the cabinet is some version of street fighter (i think it has multiple SF games or did originally I mean). my roomie bought it from the local arcade before it shut down and we use it to run MAME, and any other emulator Dreamcast and below. only bad thing about it is...it's in our tiny dorm lol and it's kinda fat. the RA went nuts.

---------------------------------------------

thx to the rest of you too <3

I definitely encourage all of you to play with this and develop it even more as I'm sure it has many possibilities.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I found a new tricksy with ledge boosting by accident while practicing. I'm trying to recreate it, and if I do I'll let you know. I won't have my recording equipment for a few more days though.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So it turns out you can wavebounce your Ledge Boost for a boost in the opposite direction. What's this mean? If you have a gyro on Battlefield, you have the ability to glide toss in any direction, ledgeboost off the stage and ledge boost ON the stage as well. ROB just became a ****load more versatile.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
This is great, beepos!
keeping testing your stuffs, gw! =]

edit: got the wavebounce down, im glad you ran across it because i totally forgot to test that. and beeeeeeeeeep! it's sexy.
if you want me to make a video of it soon, i can do that and give you the credit. or w/e.
unless people don't need a visual aid

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I was hoping to get a video up but I won't have my recording equipment for a while, so you can do it if you want Eric.

Because quite frankly, I don't even know how to do it. I only do it accidentally at times.

edit: Try this. Ledge boost and look at the distance you get. Then note that you can Dair at any point of that distance. Profit.

Brutos

Smash Apprentice
What a great find! I'm gonna start practicing this tomorrow after class.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I dunno, it looks like Dull saw that before GW, look at the time of Dull's edit vs the time of GW's post.

Just sayin.

But this is awesome, a practical AT...
youz right, i completely forgot about that bc i read it before i went to bed xP
ty for noting that.

ill give them both credit i guesses
^_^ doesnt matter, we is makin progress XD

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
All in all, its a pretty cool technique. I don't know exactly how useful it will be in the long run, as the boost seems to be too strong/take you too far to really capitalize on the quick burst of speed.

Not discrediting it by any stretch of the imagination, as I can foresee it possibly netting you a stock through a quick/surprise edgeguard, or a quick offensive maneuver from 1/2 across the stage (for a possible KO). Other than that... its versatility seems rather limited.

Edit: If I could see it done *in a match* (several times to assess a success/failure ratio), that'd be swell.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I'll try to use it perfectly, then maybe record a video showing how it can be useful on a match.

Azuzu

Smash Cadet
out of curiousity, is it possible to do this from standing a little bit away from the edge instead of right on it? It might make it for controlled so you don't go quite as far. Forward throw to backglide to forward ledge boost sounds pretty fun.

Seems to me the main problem with this would be setting it up. Your opponent is going to try and not let you have your gyro as it is, but being exactly on an edge seems pretty limiting.

Very nice find btw, I'll definately try this out later

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I have pulled off the boost effectively quite a bit in games since I've kept this to myself for the past month.
Unfortunately, I don't have footage. I do love the responses of when I do it:
"woah wtf?"
Fast falling a nair out of the boost is prob my favorite because R.O.B. does the whole motion within about a second and it just looks awesome.

I do agree that it is a bit limited because throwing out an attack out of the booster can have a minor delay. Also remember that you can flub the glide toss to affect the distance traveled. Especially if you just do a down toss instead of an up or side.

@Azuzu, yes you can perform this without being right on the ledge, I haven't tested a lot of the results with that though. Mayhaps it will shorten the distance because that would be pretty useful.

edit: the main difficulty for me atm is just having an item in hand when I really want to do the ledge boost (maybe we could just start calling it glide canceling or something lol). so knowing how to set that situation up is pretty crucial as well.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
You can perform it while not being directly on the ledge, as long as the bulk of your momentum is still w/ you before you reach the ledge. That is to say, you can't use it from slightly inside 1/2 of FD, and expect it to work, as your momentum is practically gone. To my knowledge and from what I've done myself... there's almost no change in distance unless you had initially flubbed your toss anyway.

And its the proximity to the edge, having to have the gyro in hand (and positioning yourself near the ledge) is what makes it so... difficult to set up.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Glide Toss Ledge Cancel(GTLC) sound good for me. :)

About having an item... well, on some MUs, we can have items easily than usual, like the Diddy one. Hmm, vs Snake probably, too. We hit him and he gets off-stage, but he leaves a Nade on the stage, then we can perform it if we go fast as it isn't necessary to be close to the ledge for so. ^^

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i have not gotten to try try ledge boosting yet but its done by glide tossing at the edge then up-bing and the momentum from the glide toss sends u flying right? if thats how its done if u do a poor glide toss were you would not go as far as possible would it make you momentum less during the ledge boost? if it does u can sort of control the distance it sends u.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
i have not gotten to try try ledge boosting yet but its done by glide tossing at the edge then up-bing and the momentum from the glide toss sends u flying right? if thats how its done if u do a poor glide toss were you would not go as far as possible would it make you momentum less during the ledge boost? if it does u can sort of control the distance it sends u.
I think the problem with the poor glide toss is the slide ends before you can actually start your up-b. This would mean that by the time you start your up-b, the momentum would be gone.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I have been able to perform the flub tosses with less momentum. Now doing it on command could be a problem but I'd say doable.

Right now I want to work on the down glide toss since it normally travels the shortest distance.

And GTLC works. It's always good to make it sound technical and robotic ^_^

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Practically all I do is "flub" tossing, I needs more tech skill. ;(

edit: Try this. Ledge boost and look at the distance you get. Then note that you can Dair at any point of that distance. Profit.
You can do the same thing without the Up-B too, as in just glide toss straight through the ledge off-stage and spike at stage level.

And its the proximity to the edge, having to have the gyro in hand (and positioning yourself near the ledge) is what makes it so... difficult to set up.
Aside specific match-ups, you're obviously set up for doing this if you knock them off-stage with a charged Gyro. Then you just go and pick it up as they're flying away.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I'm pretty sure the flub toss version is pretty much the same as running to the ledge and immediately Up-B-ing, and it doesn't require an item. :x

I need to practice this more, since I always flub toss (I'm assuming this is a shorter glide toss?) and rolfcopter instead of booster half the time. Oh well, at least I learned that you can have a gyro in hand and not throw/drop it right after an up-b (instead use aerials).

Top Bottom