• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Leave Luck to Heaven – Nintendo's First Mascot, Daitōryō (aka Napoleon) Support Thread

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So I haven't had a lot of time working on the Hanafuda stage but I'm working on it. This is what I have so far.

The stage is based on the cards and art style but doesn't focus on any particular game (like koi koi or oonsoo). The background is going to have paper cutouts of the flowers and artwork (similar to a Paper Mario). It has 12 segments with each one representing the flowers and months they have. Each segment last for 1 minute before transitioning to the next month. I was going to do 5 minutes per segment to give it a full hour but then I realize that is a lot of animation. He time you start the level it starts in a random month.

I have a few things I'm debating on.

1. Should the stage platforms change during the months and if they do how do do the transition? Or should they be like Smashville and have it change in the background but really effect the overall landscape of the stage.

2. I feel like the ribbons should do something as well whether it be give items or stat boots. Also whether the minor animals play a role or just be back drop?

3. How should some of the major images interact? Like March's and December's bright cards or the sake cup.

For those who don't know the decks here is the list of all the cards. It goes January to December Left to Right.
View attachment 151286
I actually did come up with a Hanafuda stage once. Might as well link it here.
Would you two like for me to include your work in the OP? I would credit you, of course.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
I love oddball characters, and in whatever form it would take I would love a Hanafuda rep. Add me as a support!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Anyone remember Nintendouji? I think there was a support thread for him during pre-Smash 4. Wouldn't he be an alt. possibility for Smash if Daitoryo can't happen?

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think a character made to represent in Smash the Hanafuda card game is a better idea, but hell yeah it would be hilarious if this happen and Geno don't get in. Can you please add me to the support list ?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Could one of you please make a stock icon for Napoleon? Thanks.
Done by splat splat :
CardsIconMini.png

Done by KMDP KMDP :
SSBUDaitoryoHeadSmall.png

Anyone remember Nintendouji? I think there was a support thread for him during pre-Smash 4. Wouldn't he be an alt. possibility for Smash if Daitoryo can't happen?
I doubt sakurai would use a very obscure DSiware game to find creative ideas for a Hanafuda character.
I'd personally agree that Nintendo would be more likely to use Daitoryo or the Tengu than Nintendouji, but it's certainly possible.
Personally, I think a character made to represent in Smash the Hanafuda card game is a better idea, but hell yeah it would be hilarious if this happen and Geno don't get in. Can you please add me to the support list ?
You're now on the list of supporters! :)

Everyone, also know that a hanafuda character is being rated in RTC today! Show up to support the idea if you feel so inclined. :D

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Hanafuda becoming a character would be likely if they made a new character, like Mr Game&Watch.
Its name will be "Hanafuda Master" and will look like a samurai. I think the series symbol should be a card corned by Sakura petals.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Any sort of representation of the first thing Nintendo ever did is a-okay in my book. Put me down as a supporter!

If hanafuda stuff gets any music representation, I hope they include the custom 3DS Home Menu music for the hanafuda theme in it:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Any sort of representation of the first thing Nintendo ever did is a-okay in my book. Put me down as a supporter!

If hanafuda stuff gets any music representation, I hope they include the custom 3DS Home Menu music for the hanafuda theme in it:

I'll put you down as a supporter! :)

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
With Sakurai confirming that Nintendo decided the DLC characters, this actually increases Napoleon's chances. Remember, it was Nintendo who put that cameo in Labo.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Uh, just so nobody is confused, here are the tweets Arcadenblog Arcadenblog just mentioned:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
With Sakurai confirming that Nintendo decided the DLC characters, this actually increases Napoleon's chances. Remember, it was Nintendo who put that cameo in Labo.
Uh, just so nobody is confused, here are the tweets Arcadenblog Arcadenblog just mentioned:

i'll be so mad if hanafuda gets in, cause i don't have the will to predict hanafuda anymore after that direct. lol
While I personally would be ecstatic, I honestly expect Nintendo to choose characters that they can tie in promotional stuff. Maybe Sakurai could have specifically asked for them to recommend a historical character?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
it seems like pirahna plant really is the "surprise" character for this game:

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...-reveal-trailers-how-spirits-came-to-be-more/

On surprising fans with unexpected characters like Piranha Plant…

I’m actually not paying too much focus on the surprise element when we introduce a new fighter. The surprise element quickly fades once the announcement has been made.

Rather, I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations. However, if we don’t have these types of fighters, and we only had typical “hero/heroine” type fighters in the lineup, there’s not much difference. It’s probably not very interesting. Correct?

Also, unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises, Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows well. And, I want to make sure to remind everyone that it is a limited-time offer fighter everyone can get for free as an early-purchase bonus.
He even mentions the three previous surprises. Would having Piranha Plant as DLC mean that the DLC lineup already has its "surprise" character. With Pirahna, do you think he'd move on from the "surprise" types and go for other types of fighters to diversify the lineup like Sakurai says above?

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
He even mentions the three previous surprises. Would having Piranha Plant as DLC mean that the DLC lineup already has its "surprise" character. With Pirahna, do you think he'd move on from the "surprise" types and go for other types of fighters to diversify the lineup like Sakurai says above?
Well remember that Sakurai didn't choose the other five DLC Characters; that was Nintendo doing with Sakurai approval. So their still the possibility of receiving another surprise character.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't know about you, but I get the feeling Joker closes the possibility of a Hanafuda character for good, thinking about it moveset wise. I know Persona isn't exactly the same concept, but the card summoning deal though.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't know about you, but I get the feeling Joker closes the possibility of a Hanafuda character for good, thinking about it moveset wise. I know Persona isn't exactly the same concept, but the card summoning deal though.
While I agree that Daitoryo is extremely unlikely for DLC, I have to heavily disagree that Joker would be too similar to him conceptually. Personally, I've never seen a need for Daitoryo to use the cards themselves in combat, so long as the images on the cards are used. Like, instead of summoning a crane, I would imagine him grabbing onto one that gets painted into existence quickly.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I still support this guy but I have a new angle I'd like to propose for him.

What if Daitoryo showed up in the next Smash game as the main villain? And to be clear I don't think he'd be called Daitoryo outside of Japan. He should be called "The Emperor" or Emperor Hanafuda, and I'd explore making him the ultimate villain of Smash, trying to make everyone aware of their existence as "playthings". I thought a lot about it and I think he'd be perfect for the role.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

What if Daitoryo showed up in the next Smash game as the main villain? And to be clear I don't think he'd be called Daitoryo outside of Japan. He should be called "The Emperor" or Emperor Hanafuda, and I'd explore making him the ultimate villain of Smash, trying to make everyone aware of their existence as "playthings". I thought a lot about it and I think he'd be perfect for the role.
I actually think this would be awesome. I loved the Ancient Minister and when Smash tries to give villains a bit of flair or mystique it usually turns out good.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Oh, my gosh. Dude, this is actually, like, REALLY good. Honestly, now I want to see this happen. If you don't mind me asking though, would Daitoryo himself still be a playable character in this scenario, or would that be pretty much unfeasible in this case?

I actually think this would be awesome. I loved the Ancient Minister and when Smash tries to give villains a bit of flair or mystique it usually turns out good.
Exactly!

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Speaking of a Daitoryo spirit, it'd be nice to see spirits of other Nintendo items, specifically items like the 10 Billion Barrel or the Ultra Hand. They were in New Leaf and it'd be nice to see these items continued to be referred to in games. Remember when Nintendo made a product called N & B Blocks? SML2 remembers. The last stage of Mario Zone was a stage built of toy bricks.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Oh, my gosh. Dude, this is actually, like, REALLY good. Honestly, now I want to see this happen. If you don't mind me asking though, would Daitoryo himself still be a playable character in this scenario, or would that be pretty much unfeasible in this case?
Yes, he would be playable. I imagine he'd have a playable form and a final boss form.

The story mode I pictured, called "Playthings", would involve him tinkering with toys and games in a cosmic playroom. With the ability to manipulate reality with his toys, he slowly begins to mix elements of all the different game worlds together, with the intended goal of making all the Smash characters aware of each other, and eventually getting them to realize that they are "playthings" - essentially revealing to them that they are video game characters, being used by the Master and Crazy hands for amusement. The motive behind him doing this appears to be malicious, but it's not entirely clear.

It turns out that the Master/Crazy hands are actually the hands of the people who play their games - in other words, us, and there are millions if not billions of hands. While initially depicted as beings motivated by malice, the truth is that the owners of the hands all love the characters and their worlds - so much so that they get overly passionate and begin to squabble and compete amongst themselves to determine which character, in their opinion, is the best. The Emperor is manipulating them all by forcing them to play a game of his own creation - the game you're playing right now, Super Smash Bros. But to what end is he going with this? Has he just gone mad? Or does he think they're better off knowing the truth?

Overall, the story aims to bring a fourth wall awareness to everybody and follows how each of them react to this forbidden knowledge.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It's so weird that you bring up the idea of Daitoryo being connected to Master Hand and Crazy Hand somehow. That was an idea I had a few years ago, too, but he wasn't a villain and was instead the jovial character who granted Master and Crazy their attacks, the reason being that he was the first Nintendo character ever so he has the power. As a result, Daitoryo's moveset was themed around hanafuda but also had special attacks based on the Hands' attacks.

PsychoJosh

He could still be jovial but evil. A bit of a mad emperor driven to the edge of sanity by some knowledge he has about his reality (in other words, the knowledge of being a game character).

PsychoJosh

Did one of the hanafuda cards have a Japanese princess on it or was I just imagining it?

Top Bottom